SkippyPB

Grey Matters

Jun 26, 2015, 10:47:48 PM6/26/15
It appears that Detroit sports Usenet groups stalwart SkippyPB has
passed away.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ohio/obituary.aspx?pid=175103349

With the arrival of the Pistons draft with no comment from him, I
wondered if something had happened, and I noticed there were no new
posts from him the Tigers group.

I knew him mostly from the Pistons and Lions groups and he was always a
passionate fan, but knowledgable and realistic about the trials and
travails of following Detroit sports.

I knew practically nothing about him offline, but it turns out he was a
serious environmentalist and a hero in Vietnam, earning three bronze
stars in the infantry.

Googling his history a little bit, I turned up this gem:

Oh my! In October of 1968 I was a 20 year old stomping
around the jungles of Vietnam and reading in 1 to 2 week
old Stars and Stripes newspaper about the Tigers. A
fellow soldier was from Lincoln Park and we would read
the sports section together. When the Tigers won,
it was the only good thing I can say happened (at least
to me) in 1968.

He'll be missed.

finsfan

Jul 2, 2015, 6:28:01 AM7/2/15
Terribly missed. I loved reading all his stuff in the Tigers and Lions
groups. Great guy. May he rest in peace.

xpen...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2015, 1:43:45 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 06:28:02 -0400, "finsfan" <hkita...@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

>Terribly missed. I loved reading all his stuff in the Tigers and Lions
>groups. Great guy. May he rest in peace.

You never posted in the Tiger group did?