NFL World Shocked as Legendary TE Antonio Gates Will Not Be a First-Ballot Hall of Famer

Robin Miller

Feb 9, 2024, 2:19:10 PMFeb 9

phlash74

Feb 9, 2024, 3:56:53 PMFeb 9
I've never understood the idea of artificially limiting the number of Hall of Famers elected in a given year. Just a yes/no with a 75% or 80% threshold should ensure that it remains an exclusive club yet no slam dunk HOFers have to wait because a few other guys get elected the same year.

To be clear, I don't have any issue with any of the players who were elected. But it's absolutely insane that Gates didn't get the votes. Every article I saw prior to yesterday said Gates and Peppers were the locks, and the other ones were borderline depending on which WR pulled more votes, etc. I think he's at worst the third best TE in history behind Gonzalez and Gronkowski (Kelce may pass him by the time he's done).

I'm sure he'll get in next year, but it's definitely a slap in the face. Shawne Merriman was raving mad about it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/shawnemerriman/status/1755764336575017447

Shawne Merriman
@shawnemerriman
Antonio Gates not being a first ballot is an absolute embarrassment, they should be ashamed.
5:23 PM · Feb 8, 2024

Michael

Robin Miller

Feb 10, 2024, 12:05:50 AMFeb 10
Is it limited? This says that between 4 and 9 should be elected each year:

https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process/

--Robin

phlash74

Feb 12, 2024, 10:01:57 AMFeb 12
There's a FAQ on the same page that talks about how the modern nominees are limited to 5: https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process-faq/

"In advance of the Hall of Fame selection meeting, the Selectors are provided detailed biographies on each of the 19 Finalists. At the annual meeting, each Finalist is thoroughly discussed by the committee before a series of reduction votes are taken. First, the Coach/Contributor and Seniors Finalists are discussed and voted on for election. They must receive the same 80% affirmative vote as the Modern-Era Player Finalists. Next, there is a vote that reduces the Modern-Era Player Finalists list from 15 to 10. ***Following that, a vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 5 names.*** The five remaining Modern-Era Player Finalists for Hall of Fame election are voted on individually (yes or no) for membership."

*** emphasis mine

So Gates almost certainly made the first cut from 15 to 10, but didn't survive the second cut from 10 to 5, where Hester, Peppers, Freeney, Johnson, and Willis all made it, and they all obviously reached the threshold in the last vote.

I'd assume he gets in next year, but in addition to his fellow finalists Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, and Jared Allen, there are first timers on the ballot next year such as Eli Manning, Luke Kuechly, and Terrell Suggs. It's going to be crowded getting down to that last group of 5.

Michael

Robin Miller

Feb 12, 2024, 11:21:37 AMFeb 12
Thanks, Michael. I knew about the 15 --> 10 --> 5 process, but assumed
that Gates made it to the round of 5 but somehow didn't get the 80%
required for admission. To realize that he didn't even make it to the
round of 5 is even more shocking. Everyone (sports writers included)
assumed that he was a lock.

--Robin