Sanchez Evaluation By ESPN Writer

MLD

Oct 5, 2011, 2:12:46 PM10/5/11
By Peter Keating
ESPN Insider
Archive

Forget Joe Namath and Rex Ryan. The New York legend to ask about Mark
Sanchez's performance against the Ravens on Sunday Night is Frank Barone,
who surely would sum things up with his signature "Holy crap!" Sanchez's
completing just 11 of 35 passes was bad enough. His gaining only 119 yards,
or an abysmal 3.4 yards per attempt, was worse. But his four turnovers,
including three (two fumbles and an interception) that Baltimore returned
for touchdowns, just destroyed his team. The Jets, who scored on a kickoff
return and an interception return of their own while going down 34-17 almost
certainly would have been better off against the Ravens if they had just
punted on every first down. Really.

Sanchez was historically bad: Of 909 games since 2008 when a quarterback has
participated in 40 or more plays, Sanchez's performance was the absolute
worst, with a Total Quarterback Rating of 0.6. Andrew Walter, the former
Oakland QB who previously held the record for lowest single-game QBR of all
time (0.9 versus Carolina in 2008), can sleep a little easier now.

The question is this: Is it fair to heap all the blame for the Jets'
terrible play onto Sanchez? Of course not. He had to contend with a
ferocious Ravens D full of players who were especially amped to demolish
Ryan, their old coach, and he had to do so without protection from Nick
Mangold, by most accounts the best center in the NFL; Mangold was out with a
high right ankle sprain. But the numbers still say it's time for the Jets
and their fans to be deeply worried about whether Sanchez can productively
handle the offensive responsibilities he's being asked

cc...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2011, 9:05:48 PM10/6/11
This if bullshit; if Sanchez is so bad, how the hell did the Jets make
it to 2 AFC Championship games? And he could have the game against
Pittsburgh if the Jets defense didn't stink it up in the first half.

oldn...@mindspring.com

Oct 8, 2011, 4:56:16 PM10/8/11

"Sanchez won" those four playoff games by with an average of 157 yards rushing and a D that gave up an average of 16 points. "Sanchez won" those games by handing off to the RBs 127 times while attempting only 94 passes -- in a passing league.

>how the hell did the Jets make it to 2 AFC Championship games?

With big running and big defense, carrying Sanchez along with them.

How's that big running looking this year?

Papa Carl

Oct 8, 2011, 9:58:08 PM10/8/11

<oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Grinch, we agree again. And this is why I started expressing my displeasure
back when they got rid of TJ...Washington I could see, maybe, but not get
rid of a backfield that took you to the top...then they let O lineman go and
think they can stay on top with very second level players and a retread and
a totally unproven RB.