Mike Pettine under fire after Bucs touchdown before halftime

Wisconsin Democrat Cheaters

Jan 28, 2021, 4:29:35 AM1/28/21
Kevin King did not have his best game Sunday. The Packers cornerback, who
played after being questionable with a back injury, gave up a 39-yard
touchdown to Scotty Miller on the next-to-last play of the first half and
drew a penalty for defensive pass interference on Tyler Johnson late in
the fourth quarter.

But King doesn’t bear as much responsibility as defensive coordinator Mike
Pettine for the play before halftime, which frankly has become
overshadowed by the final 2 1/2 minutes of the game.

The day after one of the most disappointing losses in the Packers’ long
history, tire tracks are everywhere, including down Pettine’s back.

Matt LaFleur’s comments immediately after the game invite a question about
whether Pettine’s future already is decided.

“It was man coverage. Definitely not the right call for the situation, and
you can’t do stuff like that against a good football team and expect to
win,” LaFleur said, via Jason Wilde of Wisconsin State Journal. “When you
look at it, there was 120 some-odd plays on both sides of the ball plus
all the special teams. There were a lot of plays in that game that could
have been made, that could have changed the outcome of the game.

“But the ones that really hurt us the most were that play, and then to
come out to start the second half, [Aaron Jones] had the fumble and they
score to make it 28-10. That really was the big difference in the football
game. You just can’t do that stuff.

“I blame us as coaches for putting our guys in that situation. That’s
inexcusable. That should not have happened. So we’ve got to take a look at
it, do some self-reflection, and try to figure out ways on how that can’t
happen again.”

The Bucs were ready to punt on fourth-and-four from the Green Bay 45
before rethinking it after a timeout. They picked up a first down on a Tom
Brady throw to Leonard Fournette to the 39 and called their final timeout
with eight seconds left.

Brady saw Miller get a step on King, who was in one-on-one coverage,
resulting in a touchdown with one second left in the half and a 21-10
halftime lead.

Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy was among those critical of the Packers’
coverage in that situation, writing, “That may be the worst defensive
design I’ve ever seen with 8 seconds and no timeouts left. Green Bay — I’m
not sure how you play inside technique man to man and [not] just play zone
and protect the sideline and the end zone? Amazing.”

Pettine’s mistake could cost him his job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/mike-pettine-under-fire-
after-bucs-touchdown-before-halftime/