The Brady 6: Journey of the Legend NO ONE Wanted!

observer

Feb 8, 2021, 10:26:38 AM2/8/21
---

A Youtube video about Tom Brady, an incredible
story of the player no one wanted, Tom in tears
after he was drafted 199th in 2000, a video made
in March 2020 before he signed with the Tampa
Bay Buccaneers and led them to his record-ex-
tending 7th Super Bowl win in Super Bowl 55:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5fdhfVrg1I&t=10s

---

DLS S

Feb 8, 2021, 10:31:33 AM2/8/21
For the Love of God you want to be his buddy now!!

NFC stank!!....

observer

Feb 8, 2021, 12:53:36 PM2/8/21
Follow-up:

On Monday, February 8, 2021 at 9:26:38 AM UTC-6, observer wrote:

.> ---
.>
.> A Youtube video about Tom Brady, an incredible
.> story of the player no one wanted, Tom in tears
.> after he was drafted 199th in 2000, a video made
.> in March 2020 before he signed with the Tampa
.> Bay Buccaneers and led them to his record-ex-
.> tending 7th Super Bowl win in Super Bowl 55:
.> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5fdhfVrg1I&t=10s
.>
.> ---

Highlights from the video (part 1 of 2):

(his senior year at Michigan, he was competing with
a hot highly rated sophomore QB Drew Henson, shar-
ing playing time until he was named sole starter)

6:40 into the video:

[Sidenote: Michigan 1999 season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Michigan_Wolverines_football_team
End Sidenote]
---

Against Penn State, Michigan trailed by 10 in the
final minutes [27-17, Brady running it in for a TD
with 3:35 left, the video shows him throwing for a
TD with unknown time remaining to give Michigan
the win 31-27], and the legend of the comeback kid
was born.

Head coach Lloyd Carr: "There's no greater leader
in inter-collegiate athletics than Tom Brady. He's
handled this difficult coaching decision this year in
a way that only enhanced his stature among his
teammates and all those people that love Michigan."

Brady's finest collegiate performance was yet to
come, the Orange Bowl [versus Alabama].

Tom Brady: "It's the last time I take the field as a
Wolverine. We got down in the game 14 nothing
and came back and tied it 14-14. We got down
28-14 in the 2nd half, came back and made it
28-28.

We went to overtime and I ran a bootleg and
threw it to Shawn Thompson [tight end, video
shows him scoring]. They scored to make it
35-34 and they kicked the extra point & missed
the extra point. We won in overtime."

Drew Henson: "Make no mistake, Tom Brady
carried us through that game."

Head coach Lloyd Carr: "The Alabama game,
in my experience at Michigan, is as fine a per-
formance at quarterback as anybody ever had."

Interviewer: "We kid you about being the come-
back kid."

Tom Brady: "Wow."

Interviewer continued: "You didn't want to have
to wait 'til the 4th quarter to bring the team back,
but you did a tremendous job."

Tom Brady: "What better way to go as a 5th year
senior than an Orange Bowl victory."

You would think Brady's achievements at Michigan
would have won the admiration of pro teams look-
ing for a quarterback in the upcoming draft, but it
didn't happen that way. Brady's struggle for recog-
nition continued.

Head coach Lloyd Carr: "I only had one call from
the NFL. Bobby Grier who was with the Patriots
at that time talked about they were gonna draft
a quarterback late. I just said 'Bobby, I guarantee
you, you will never regret drafting Tom Brady.' "

Interviewer talking to Tom Brady: "This is the
draft report on you. Basically it goes 'poor build,
skinny, lacks great physical stature & strength,"

Mel Kiper: "lacks mobility & ability to avoid the
rush, lacks a really strong arm, can't drive the
ball downfield, does not throw a really tight
spiral,"

Brian Billick (Ravens head coach 1999-2007):
"system type player who can get exposed if
forced to ad lib,"

Back to Interviewer talking to Tom Brady: "and
gets knocked down easily."

Tom Brady: "That kind of gets me fired up 'cause
I'm thinking, you know, 'What the hell do these
people know?' I mean, uh, that sound like Joe
Montana right there."

Joe Montana, as a kid who grew up 20 minutes
from Candlestick Park, that's exactly who Tom
Brady wanted to be.

Tom Brady's dad: "We used to be died in the
wool 49er fans. We loved Joe Montana. Best
ever."

Tom Brady: "When I was 4 years old, my dad
took me to one of the games, it was the NFC
Championship game when Dallas played the
9ers at home." [video of Dwight Clark making
'The Catch' January 10 1982 that sent the
49ers to their 1st Super Bowl]

[Sidenote: 49ers–Cowboys rivalry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49ers%E2%80%93Cowboys_rivalry
'The Catch' is widely regarded as one of the
most memorable events in NFL history.
End Sidenote]

Tom Brady: "We were sitting in the end zone
when Dwight Clark made 'The Catch'."
[implied they were in the end zone where 'The
Catch' was made - incredible, I'd never heard
that before]

--- end part 1 of 2 video highlights ---

observer

Feb 8, 2021, 4:43:51 PM2/8/21
Follow-up 2:

~> ---
~>
~> A Youtube video about Tom Brady, an incredible
~> story of the player no one wanted, Tom in tears
~> after he was drafted 199th in 2000, a video made
~> in March 2020 before he signed with the Tampa
~> Bay Buccaneers and led them to his record-ex-
~> tending 7th Super Bowl win in Super Bowl 55:
~> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5fdhfVrg1I&t=10s
~>
~> ---

[Sidenote: Tom was born and raised in San Mateo,
California, 20 miles south of San Francisco.
End Sidenote]

Highlights from the video (part 2 of 2):

[Sidenote: Just imagine the impact on a 4 year old
boy, Tom Brady, of witnessing 'The Catch', sitting
with his dad in the end zone when that occurred.
Wow, incredible, perhaps the key pivotal moment
in Tom's very young life that instilled the HEART
of a champion at a very young age.
End Sidenote]

9:48 into the video:

In the 2000 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers
were one of the teams looking for a quarterback.

Steve Mariucci (49ers Head Coach 1997-2002):
"We knew all about know. Tom was from Serra
high school right up the street here."

[Sidenote: Per Tom's wikipedia page, Tom's high
school was Junípero Serra (San Mateo).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady
End Sidenote]

(Steve, smiling, chuckling) "At the combine, when
you watched Tom [video apparently showing Tom
at the combine without his shirt on], you saw this
tall gangly-looking kid, looked like never seen a
weight room. Ran a 5.2something, one of the slow-
est quarterbacks at the combine."

"Does he wow you throwing the ball? (shakes head
no) mmm-mmm, there was some other guys that
could shoot it, and he had just an OK arm. Did his
coaches at Michigan really stand on the table and
say 'This is the greatest thing since Joe Montana?'
No, not even close. They had to decide if it was ...

... he or Drew Henson. We even had a local com-
bine in San Francisco where the kids from the
local colleges or the local high schools can come
by and have a workout, and Tom was there, and
Bill (Bill Walsh, 49ers Head Coach/General Manager
1979-1982, Head Coach 1983-1988, VP/General ...

... Manager 1999-2000) was there, and we were
all there, and Tom (Steve smiling) to be quite hon-
est did nothing that would say 'hey, we need to
draft this guy.' "

Mel Kiper: "His 40 time, and that vertical jump,
in 32 years of doing this, we talk about 576 quar-
terbacks, he was number 576."

Tom Brady: "Its not really what my skillset is,
but fortunately for me, that's not what quarter-
backing's about either."

[Sidenote: Quarterbacks picked in 2000 draft, &
how they fared, "The Brady 6" in the title, I at
first thought they were referring to Brady's 6
Super Bowl wins prior to Super Bowl 55. Actu-
ally, they were referring to the 6 QBs chosen
before Tom Brady in the 2000 draft:

18th - Jets, Chad Pennington, 1st start 2002, in
playoffs 4 years, 2 wins 4 losses, 11 year career,
44 wins 37 losses, 90.1 passer-rating

65th - 49ers, Giovanni Carmazzi, backup in 2000
& 2001, never played

75th - Ravens, Chris Redman, 4 years with Ravens,
started 6 games in 2002, 3 wins 3 losses, 4 years
with Falcons, started 4 games in 2007, 1 win 3 losses,
started 2 games in 2009, no wins 2 losses

163rd - Steelers, Tee Martin, played 1 year with no
starts, played 1 other year with Raiders, no starts

168th - Saints, Marc Bulger, after Tom Brady, the
most successful QB albeit waived in 2000 and no
playing time with Rams in 2001, first start in 2002
with Rams, 2 pro bowls - 2003 & 2006, 3 playoffs,
1 win 2 losses

183rd - Browns, Spergon Wynn, 1 start with Browns
in 2000, a loss, 2 starts with Vikings in 2001,
both losses (notable that TE Dwight Clark, famous
for 'The Catch', made that pick for the Browns,
missing his chance to draft the 4 year old boy who
saw him make 'The Catch' and who grew up to
become the Greatest of All Time for the Patriots,
not the Browns)

199th - Patriots, Tom Brady, Greatest of All Time
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm
End Sidenote]

Tom Brady's dad (referring to 49ers picking Carmazzi
and not picking Brady): "We had season tickets for
the 49ers for 25 years and we were just hurt. It just,
uh, we kind of took it personally, if you will."

Bill Walsh (referring to 49ers picking Carmazzi) "He
was probably the best quarterback in the draft as
far as athletic ability, this is a fine athlete with a real
future ..."

Bill Kraft (owner, Patriots): "We're in the draft room,
it was the 5th round. We already had 3 quarterbacks
at the time. We had just signed our number one
quarterback, Drew Bledsoe, for a lot of money. I re-
member Belichick walking up to the board and said
'Wow, this Brady's still on the board.' "

Bill Belichick (Patriots Head Coach / de facto Gen-
eral Manager 2000 to now): "One of the troubling
parts was the Michigan situation, you know the fact
that really they were trying to replace him as their
starting quarterback. You say 'OK, they don't really
want this guy as their starting quarterback, they ...

... want another guy, what's the problem here?' You
know it was a little bit of a red flag, there."

[Before giving the Patriots accolades for drafting
Tom Brady, consider how the 5 players they chose
in the 2000 draft before Brady fared, picks 4 & 5
cut, top pick playing only 4 years for Patriots,
next 2 picks playing 3 years each for Patriots,
none of those picks with any pro bowls:

pick 46 OT Adrian Klemm, 10 starts in 4 years with
Patriots, 8 starts in final year with Packers

pick 76 RB J.R. Redmond, 5 starts in 3 years with
Patriots, 527 rush yards, 1 start in 2 years with
Raiders, 149 rush yards

pick 127 OT Greg Randall, 23 starts in 3 years with
Patriots, 7 starts in 1 year with Texans

pick 141 TE Dave Stachelski, cut by Patriots, 1
catch in 2 years with Saints

pick 161 G Jeff Marriott, cut by Patriots, never
played

pick 199 QB Tom Brady, if only the Patriots and
everyone else knew then what they know now]

Robert Kraft: "This skinny beanpole of a young man
walked over to me and said 'Hi Mr. Kraft I wanna
introduce myself, I'm Tom Brady.' I said 'I know
who you are. You're our 6th round draft choice.'
And I always remember he looked me like a laser
eye-to-eye and he said 'That's right, and I'm the
best decision this organization has ever made.' "

[skipped 27 minutes - see video for details, pick-
ing up when Tom is describing anxiously waiting
far too long to be drafted compared to his expec-
tation of being drafted in 2nd or 3rd round]

41:15 into the video:

Tom Brady: "And it was hard, I remember taking
a walk with my dad & mom around the block (pau-
ses, tears up) it was just a tough day, you know. I
just remember being there with my mom & dad
(pauses again), sorry about that. You know they
just were so supportive of me, and uh, they take ...

... it as emotionally as I do, and uh, you know fin-
ally when the Patriots called I was so excited, you
know I was like 'I don't have to be an insurance
salesman', you know, so uh, my family was there,
I was all excited, thank god I was picked there."

[see video for remainder which ends at 47:20, the
primary character that everyone missed seeing in
the 2000 draft, the character that permeates Tom
Brady to this very day, HEART / willingness to
work at doing whatever it takes to be the very
best he can be as long as he can, topped off with
a healthy dose of inspirational humility & great
leadership]

--- end part 2 of 2 video highlights ---