Odell Beckham signing less likely per Jerry Jones lack of confidence?

observer

Dec 6, 2022, 12:24:57 PM12/6/22
Don't know why, but for some reason
many articles at heavy.com have been
giving negative spins on the Cowboys
signing Odell Beckham for many weeks
now, the following article today just the
latest among many heavy.com articles:

---
December 6 2022

Cowboys Give Grim Update
on Odell Beckham Jr. Signing
https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/obj-odell-beckham-jr-news-rumors/
---

Just days after gushing over Odell Beckham
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took a
different tone when discussing the chances
the team will sign the playmaker. Jones ad-
mitted he is “not confident at all” in signing
Beckham without the receiver working out
for the team. ...

---

That negative spin, totally misrepresenting
what Jerry actually said about Odell in a
lengthy interview including many positive
statements. The working out issue wasn't
really the point in Jerry's confidence state-
ment, he simply was speaking about about ...

... the process of signing a player and risks
of signing a player regarding their health,
not regarding their working out or not. If
I've said it once I've said it 100 times, you
never know 'til you know & the only way to
know is to sign him & play him or to not ...

... sign him & watch him play for a team
other than the Cowboys.

105.3 youtube video of interview
with Jerry this morning, the part
about Odell starts 3:40 into the
video: https://youtu.be/q1PzJN42-ZA

Question: Jerry, the entire world is tuning in
for any updates that you can provide, can
you tell us what you guys did in general with
Odell yesterday and what's on the schedule
for today?

Jerry: Yeah, we'll continue to meet. We had
pretty extensive meetings, I did, with Odell
yesterday, and we spent quite a bit of time
together and enjoyed every minute of it and
then we also, he spent some time with our,
as it turns out our entire family was there, ...

... my son Jerry, my daughter Charlotte, and
had a good visit with him as well as Stephen
of course. We had a good session there then
it was off to the ballgame last night. We'll get
back together today and see where we go from
here.

It's really got to fit for both parties, there's no
gain here if the Cowboys or Odell doesn't have
it where it feels good after it gets done. You
can't do anything that doesn't last because
this is like getting married, you're not getting
together to have issues after you get together, ...

... so we've got to make sure we've covered
all the things that are important to him and
important to us.

Question: Why are you confident or why would
you be confident in signing somebody that you
haven't seen work out coming off an ACL 9-10
months ago?

Jerry: Well I'm not confident at all and so, that's
the issue. Now we all realize that that issue of
health, that issue of availability is here every
time. This one is very obvious and very pointed
toward his injury that he had, occurred last year
in the Super Bowl, so we've got a good beat ...

... on that, we've got a great read on his career.
It's not like a draft pick coming at, you've got
a lot of history here and you take a good look
at everything, not only the obvious and that's
his performance but also any issues regarding
health. So, all of this we've got to come in ...

... with our eyes wide open and it has to be
addressed and that's when you see if you can
make a deal or not.

Question: Jerry, have you ever signed a deal
with a player like this, a player coming off an
injury that you didn't see work out?

Jerry: Oh yes, I sure have, the classic for me
is really Alonzo Highsmith. ...

[see youtube video for remainder of interview
with quite a few positive comments by Jerry
regarding Odell]

---

Comment: Alonzo was sought after primarily
at the behest of Jimmy Johnson, and he was
unable to recover from his injury with only 19
rush attempts with the Cowboys in 1990 &
no attempts with the Cowboys in 1991, fin-
ishing his career with only 13 rush attempts
with the Bucs in 1991 & 1992.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HighAl00.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alonzo_Highsmith