Ed Werder, ESPN reporter, casts doubt on Cowboys signing Odell Beckham

observer

Dec 6, 2022, 4:29:24 PM12/6/22
December 6 2022
https://twitter.com/WerderEdESPN/status/1600215975911075840

The Cowboys have concerns after Odell
Beckham’s physical that his recovery from
torn left ACL in Super Bowl has not pro-
gressed enough to ensure he would play
before mid-January and possibility exists
signing him would have no benefit until
2023 season.

---

Sidenote1: Rumors had it that the physical
took place at the initial visit with the Giants
& that information was shared with both the
Bills & Cowboys so Ed's statement acts as
if that wasn't discovered 'til yesterday, a
misleading statement unless the Cowboys ...

... discovered something yesterday that the
other teams doctors hadn't discovered.

Sidenote2: If the Cowboys don't win their
wild card game (presuming the Cowboys
have to play a wild card game), that would
be their last game of the 2022 season on
January 14-15, so it would be impossible
for it to have benefit & that benefit would ...

... be minimal if he wasn't able to go full-
speed in that wild card game. That's a con-
siderable delay to when many expected him
to be able to play.

Sidenote3: All the rumors circulating, spins
one way or the other, hard to tell what's ac-
tually transpiring. Also, if the Cowboys can
win that wild card game & if Odell could go
full-speed in that game, I'd say that should
justify going ahead & signing him.

If not, if he can't play 'til the Division playoff
presuming the Cowboys get that far, once
again, I'd say that should justify signing him,
but that's easy for me to say as I don't have
the burden of dealing with impacts on the
Cowboys salary cap in upcoming years.

Sidenote4: Facts about Michael Gallup 2021
injuries per his wikipedia page at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gallup

On September 14, 2021, Gallup was placed on
injured reserve after suffering a calf injury in
Week 1. He was activated on November 13.
During Week 17 against the Arizona Cardinals
[January 2 2022], Gallup suffered a torn ACL
on a touchdown, [out for rest of the season].

On March 13, 2022, Gallup signed a five-year,
$62.5 million extension with the Cowboys.

Michael's 1st game back was in week 4 of
the 2022 season on October 2 2022, exactly
10 months after his ACL injury.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GallMi00/gamelog/2022/

It's dubious to try to compare Michael's ACL
recovery to Odell's, but nevertheless, too temp-
ting for me to resist. Odell's ACL injury occurred
February 13 2022, and exactly 10 months after
that is December 13 2022, one week from today,
so it's a surprise that Ed Werder is saying he ...

... won't be able to play - actually, that's a sup-
posed medical assessment by either the Giants
&/or Cowboys doctor(s) - 'til mid-January 2023,
11 months after his ACL injury.