First Willingham Commit

1 view

Charles Beauchamp

Dec 31, 2004, 8:39:49 PM12/31/04
is QB Johnny Durocher (Pierce College) .2003 commit to Oregon transfers to
Washington. Two years ago he was rated as the top HS player in the
Northwest

--
v/r Beau

Marcellus Bohren is the love child of Steve Jaros and a goat.

pland

Jan 1, 2005, 1:23:15 AM1/1/05

"Charles Beauchamp" <C.E.Be...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message

> is QB Johnny Durocher (Pierce College) .2003 commit to Oregon transfers to
> Washington. Two years ago he was rated as the top HS player in the
> Northwest

A QB with an attitude problem who wasn't good enough to break 2nd string at
Oregon. Now that's what I call a flying start.. keep up the good work, Ty!

pl

Charles Beauchamp

Jan 1, 2005, 4:16:20 AM1/1/05

Congrats on not knowing wtf you are talking about.

pland

Jan 1, 2005, 2:42:23 PM1/1/05

> pland wrote:
>> "Charles Beauchamp" <C.E.Be...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>>> is QB Johnny Durocher (Pierce College) .2003 commit to Oregon
>>> transfers to Washington. Two years ago he was rated as the top HS
>>> player in the Northwest
>>>

>> A QB with an attitude problem who wasn't good enough to break 2nd
>> string at Oregon. Now that's what I call a flying start.. keep up the
>> good work, Ty!
>> pl
>
> Congrats on not knowing wtf you are talking about.

After Spring camp Durocher was #2 behind Clemens, but Dennis Dixon's
athleticism and better attitude during fall camp moved him ahead of JD by
the time the season started. Durocher was unhappy about that, and when Dixon
was the first backup into a game this year, JD bailed. He's a quitter who
Ricky Williamsed his teammates during the season, and then found a loophole
to keep him from having to sit out a year for transferring to a Pac10
school.

So we get an extra scholarship, and you guys get a gutless, selfish, whiny
QB project. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

pl

Charles Beauchamp

Jan 1, 2005, 2:50:43 PM1/1/05

That is certainly one spin on things. Another one is that he was the #1
prospect in his senior year at his position in the Northwest and didn't see
an opportunity to fairly compete. No one at Oregon seemed bugged by his
departure so you shouldn't be too bugged about it. You don't know the kid.
You likely don't know anyone that knows the kid. Therefor you know flat
nothing about his attitude.

Further...the sleezebag coach down in Eugene get's ripped by this kid, while
Ty Willingham (who by all anechdotes available is clean as the driven snow)
likes him. I'll just say it like this...if someone's character is getting
questioned by Mike Belloti, while his character is acceptable to Ty
Willingham..I am going with Willingham's view 100% of the time.

Oh btw...I did work at Pierce College this year on an assignment for a few
months in the Student Services center. I did in fact come in contact with a
few athletes at the two campuses there. No one had anything derogatory to
say about Durocher. He was in the awareness of many there too.

Looks to me like a kid went to the wrong place for him and just didn't fit.

As for Dixon...that kid might rewrite the Oregon record books before he is
done. He is much better then Clemens or Fife and in a couple of years with
performance breaks may make a Heisman run.

ConnMoore

Jan 1, 2005, 3:40:26 PM1/1/05
<< Subject: First Willingham Commit

<< From: "Charles Beauchamp" C.E.Be...@NOSPAMcomcast.net
Newsgroups: alt.sports.college.pac-10 >>

<< is QB Johnny Durocher (Pierce College) .2003 commit to Oregon transfers to
Washington. Two years ago he was rated as the top HS player in the
Northwest >>

Does Oregon State have any QB's they are tired of? Washington could complete
the northwest challenge of picking up castoff QB's

Charles Beauchamp

Jan 1, 2005, 5:59:10 PM1/1/05

In all seriousness Jordan Carey would be a nice addition for UW. <G>

Can a player that transfers be considered a cast off though? I mean...in
Miami such a player has started at QB for two years now.

pland

Jan 1, 2005, 9:45:44 PM1/1/05

>> So we get an extra scholarship, and you guys get a gutless, selfish,
>> whiny QB project. Sounds like a fair trade to me.
>>
>> pl
>
> That is certainly one spin on things. Another one is that he was the #1
> prospect in his senior year at his position in the Northwest and didn't
> see an opportunity to fairly compete. No one at Oregon seemed bugged by
> his departure so you shouldn't be too bugged about it.

Officially, no, but privately they were pissed off -- as most would be in
that situation.

Think about it: you're in business, you have a team that has very important
subordinate members who may be called on at any time to fill in during a
stressful sales period, and one of your junior staffers -- being groomed for
a top job and getting a paid training -- decides he doesn't like you, quits
during the peak season, and gets out of a non-compete by working for K-mart
for six months. If you're his boss you may not tell the media you're bugged,
but trust me, you're irritated.

I don't know about the "fairly compete", but if he'd been the rock-solid #2
coming out of fall camp he would have been the backup QB. He had his
chances. He lost out to a better athlete. This isn't the first time this has
happened at UO, but AFAIK this is the first time a player has quit in
mid-September.

>You don't know the kid. You likely don't know anyone that knows the kid.
>Therefor you know flat nothing about his attitude.

I'm certain I know someone that knows the kid. And I can also make some
assumptions based on his behavior. If he interpreted being 3rd string as No
Future For You it was his right to leave. However, if Clemens had been
injured during the year, the team may have been even further in the shitter
than it wound up being due to the lack of depth caused by an immature kid
quitting on a team that had committed a scholarship and a place on the team
to him. Is quitting mid-season ever OK? It depends -- but this didn't sound
like an emergency (unless meeting a deadline to transfer to Pierce is an
emergency); it sounded like a blatant self-interest move.

There are some in Eugene who are bugged, not merely by the fact that he
bailed, or even that he quit mid-season, but because he wound up at a league
school so soon after quitting. I don't care. As far as I care he can give
Ludwig's whole playbook to Ty; it sure didn't help Oregon much.

> Further...the sleezebag coach down in Eugene get's ripped by this kid,
> while Ty Willingham (who by all anechdotes available is clean as the
> driven snow) likes him. I'll just say it like this...if someone's
> character is getting questioned by Mike Belloti, while his character is
> acceptable to Ty Willingham..I am going with Willingham's view 100% of the
> time.

I'm shocked, shocked that you would take this position.

Bellotti never publicly questioned his character; he gave him his release
and wished him well.

> Oh btw...I did work at Pierce College this year on an assignment for a few
> months in the Student Services center. I did in fact come in contact with
> a few athletes at the two campuses there. No one had anything derogatory
> to say about Durocher. He was in the awareness of many there too.

Well, given that he probably didn't make a 4-year committment to Pierce, I'm
not surprised they didn't have anything bad to say about him.

> Looks to me like a kid went to the wrong place for him and just didn't
> fit.

Very true. And I really hope he works out OK for himself. It's just that his
timing was poor. And I thought that trumpeting him as "first Willingham
commit" is funny, given his interpretation of the word "commit".

> As for Dixon...that kid might rewrite the Oregon record books before he is
> done. He is much better then Clemens or Fife and in a couple of years
> with performance breaks may make a Heisman run.

I'd settle for what I've heard, which is "Akili Smith with more accuracy."

pl

Charles Beauchamp

Jan 1, 2005, 10:03:55 PM1/1/05
pland wrote:
> "Charles Beauchamp" <C.E.Be...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>> So we get an extra scholarship, and you guys get a gutless, selfish,
>>> whiny QB project. Sounds like a fair trade to me.
>>>
>>> pl
>>
>> That is certainly one spin on things. Another one is that he was
>> the #1 prospect in his senior year at his position in the Northwest
>> and didn't see an opportunity to fairly compete. No one at Oregon
>> seemed bugged by his departure so you shouldn't be too bugged about
>> it.
>
> Officially, no, but privately they were pissed off -- as most would
> be in that situation.

Says you. You are anonymous. What would be your basis for your comments?

> Think about it: you're in business, you have a team that has very
> important subordinate members who may be called on at any time to
> fill in during a stressful sales period, and one of your junior
> staffers -- being groomed for a top job and getting a paid training
> -- decides he doesn't like you, quits during the peak season, and
> gets out of a non-compete by working for K-mart for six months. If
> you're his boss you may not tell the media you're bugged, but trust
> me, you're irritated.

Ya ya, I do HR for a living. I know the theory. That doesn't address the
specific claim you are making.

> I don't know about the "fairly compete", but if he'd been the
> rock-solid #2 coming out of fall camp he would have been the backup
> QB. He had his chances. He lost out to a better athlete. This isn't
> the first time this has happened at UO, but AFAIK this is the first
> time a player has quit in mid-September.
>
>> You don't know the kid. You likely don't know anyone that knows the
>> kid. Therefor you know flat nothing about his attitude.
>
> I'm certain I know someone that knows the kid. And I can also make
> some assumptions based on his behavior. If he interpreted being 3rd
> string as No Future For You it was his right to leave. However, if
> Clemens had been injured during the year, the team may have been even
> further in the shitter than it wound up being due to the lack of
> depth caused by an immature kid quitting on a team that had committed
> a scholarship and a place on the team to him. Is quitting mid-season
> ever OK? It depends -- but this didn't sound like an emergency
> (unless meeting a deadline to transfer to Pierce is an emergency); it
> sounded like a blatant self-interest move.

Wow a blatant self interest move. So then he is a member of the human race
right? Pierce College does not have a football program btw.

> There are some in Eugene who are bugged, not merely by the fact that
> he bailed, or even that he quit mid-season, but because he wound up
> at a league school so soon after quitting. I don't care. As far as I
> care he can give Ludwig's whole playbook to Ty; it sure didn't help
> Oregon much.
>>
>> Further...the sleezebag coach down in Eugene get's ripped by this
>> kid, while Ty Willingham (who by all anechdotes available is clean
>> as the driven snow) likes him. I'll just say it like this...if
>> someone's character is getting questioned by Mike Belloti, while his
>> character is acceptable to Ty Willingham..I am going with
>> Willingham's view 100% of the time.
>
> I'm shocked, shocked that you would take this position.
>
> Bellotti never publicly questioned his character; he gave him his
> release and wished him well.

I didn't say Belloti did. I was throwing a comparitive statement up there
since the only one actually talking is the kid and he says he didn't get
along with Mike...then got an offer from Willingham. I am of the assumption
that Ty Willingham..who is very familiar with Pac Ten recruiting..and coach
Belloti likely considered the issues at hand...yet he still saw fit to make
the offer. My point...I will give Ty Willingham the benefit of the doubt
over..Mike Belloti or some anonymous dood on USENET regarding someone that I
have reason to believe has a little more credibility.

>> Oh btw...I did work at Pierce College this year on an assignment for
>> a few months in the Student Services center. I did in fact come in
>> contact with a few athletes at the two campuses there. No one had
>> anything derogatory to say about Durocher. He was in the awareness
>> of many there too.
>
> Well, given that he probably didn't make a 4-year committment to
> Pierce, I'm not surprised they didn't have anything bad to say about
> him.

Your amazing ignorance is just screaming right now. Pierce College is a
Community College. Pierce has no football program. This kid that you are
smearing was taking classes..you know..student athlete kinda stuff.

>> Looks to me like a kid went to the wrong place for him and just
>> didn't fit.
>
> Very true. And I really hope he works out OK for himself. It's just
> that his timing was poor. And I thought that trumpeting him as "first
> Willingham commit" is funny, given his interpretation of the word
> "commit".

You could have just said that and left it at that.

>> As for Dixon...that kid might rewrite the Oregon record books before
>> he is done. He is much better then Clemens or Fife and in a couple
>> of years with performance breaks may make a Heisman run.
>
> I'd settle for what I've heard, which is "Akili Smith with more
> accuracy."
> pl

He seemed pretty advanced for a high school QB when he was recruited.

pland

Jan 1, 2005, 10:53:56 PM1/1/05

Charles Beauchamp wrote:
> pland wrote:
> > "Charles Beauchamp" <C.E.Be...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in
message

> >> That is certainly one spin on things. Another one is that he was
> >> the #1 prospect in his senior year at his position in the
Northwest
> >> and didn't see an opportunity to fairly compete. No one at Oregon
> >> seemed bugged by his departure so you shouldn't be too bugged
about
> >> it.
> >
> > Officially, no, but privately they were pissed off -- as most would
> > be in that situation.
> >

> Says you. You are anonymous. What would be your basis for your
comments?

Since when am I anonymous? I'm in the bleepin Waldport phone book fer
chrissake.

> > Think about it: you're in business, you have a team that has very
> > important subordinate members who may be called on at any time to
> > fill in during a stressful sales period, and one of your junior
> > staffers -- being groomed for a top job and getting a paid training
> > -- decides he doesn't like you, quits during the peak season, and
> > gets out of a non-compete by working for K-mart for six months. If
> > you're his boss you may not tell the media you're bugged, but trust
> > me, you're irritated.
>
> Ya ya, I do HR for a living. I know the theory. That doesn't
address the
> specific claim you are making.

You bet it does. It would be unexpected for the team/staff to NOT be
pissed off that he quit mid-season.. unless he had become a cancer of
some kind on the team. There were no reports, official or anonymous, of
that.

I never said they did. My understanding is that if he enrolled in a
juco in time, he would be able to skirt the sit-out rules. The rules
didn't say anything about the juco having to have a team, only the
enrollment (there's that dambed STUDENT-athlete thing again).

> > There are some in Eugene who are bugged, not merely by the fact
that
> > he bailed, or even that he quit mid-season, but because he wound up
> > at a league school so soon after quitting. I don't care. As far as
> > care he can give Ludwig's whole playbook to Ty; it sure didn't help
> > Oregon much.
> >>
> >> Further...the sleezebag coach down in Eugene get's ripped by this
> >> kid, while Ty Willingham (who by all anechdotes available is clean
> >> as the driven snow) likes him. I'll just say it like this...if
> >> someone's character is getting questioned by Mike Belloti, while
his
> >> character is acceptable to Ty Willingham..I am going with
> >> Willingham's view 100% of the time.
> >
> > I'm shocked, shocked that you would take this position.
> >
> > Bellotti never publicly questioned his character; he gave him his
> > release and wished him well.
> >

> I didn't say Belloti did.

In so many words you did: ".. if someone's character is getting
questioned by Mike Belloti.."

> I was throwing a comparitive statement up there
> since the only one actually talking is the kid and he says he didn't
get
> along with Mike...then got an offer from Willingham. I am of the
assumption
> that Ty Willingham..who is very familiar with Pac Ten recruiting..and
coach
> Belloti likely considered the issues at hand...yet he still saw fit
to make
> the offer. My point...I will give Ty Willingham the benefit of the
doubt
> over..Mike Belloti or some anonymous dood on USENET regarding someone
that I
> have reason to believe has a little more credibility.

Show me any statements alleging my own credibility.

> >> Oh btw...I did work at Pierce College this year on an assignment
for
> >> a few months in the Student Services center. I did in fact come
in
> >> contact with a few athletes at the two campuses there. No one had
> >> anything derogatory to say about Durocher. He was in the
awareness
> >> of many there too.
> >
> > Well, given that he probably didn't make a 4-year committment to
> > Pierce, I'm not surprised they didn't have anything bad to say
about
> > him.
>
> Your amazing ignorance is just screaming right now.

I think I needed to tag that with <sarcasm></sarcasm> for you.

> >> Looks to me like a kid went to the wrong place for him and just
> >> didn't fit.
> >
> > Very true. And I really hope he works out OK for himself. It's just
> > that his timing was poor. And I thought that trumpeting him as
"first
> > Willingham commit" is funny, given his interpretation of the word
> > "commit".
>
> You could have just said that and left it at that.

I'm not as fast as I used to be.

> >> As for Dixon...that kid might rewrite the Oregon record books
before
> >> he is done. He is much better then Clemens or Fife and in a
couple
> >> of years with performance breaks may make a Heisman run.
> >
> > I'd settle for what I've heard, which is "Akili Smith with more
> > accuracy."
> > pl
>
> He seemed pretty advanced for a high school QB when he was recruited.

Yeah, Nike must be involved somehow.. some HS undetectable steroid
program. I'm sure Bob will fill us in on the details.

pl

Charles Beauchamp

Jan 1, 2005, 11:03:33 PM1/1/05

No it does not. You are bringing up assumptions based on spin. That is not
the same as addressing a specific situation.

>>> I don't know about the "fairly compete", but if he'd been the
>>> rock-solid #2 coming out of fall camp he would have been the backup
>>> QB. He had his chances. He lost out to a better athlete. This isn't
>>> the first time this has happened at UO, but AFAIK this is the first
>>> time a player has quit in mid-September.

>>> I'm certain I know someone that knows the kid. And I can also make
>>> some assumptions based on his behavior. If he interpreted being 3rd
>>> string as No Future For You it was his right to leave. However, if
>>> Clemens had been injured during the year, the team may have been
>>> even further in the shitter than it wound up being due to the lack
>>> of depth caused by an immature kid quitting on a team that had
>>> committed a scholarship and a place on the team to him. Is quitting
>>> mid-season ever OK? It depends -- but this didn't sound like an
>>> emergency (unless meeting a deadline to transfer to Pierce is an
>>> emergency); it sounded like a blatant self-interest move.
>>
>> Wow a blatant self interest move. So then he is a member of the
>> human race right? Pierce College does not have a football program
>> btw.
>
> I never said they did. My understanding is that if he enrolled in a
> juco in time, he would be able to skirt the sit-out rules. The rules
> didn't say anything about the juco having to have a team, only the
> enrollment (there's that dambed STUDENT-athlete thing again).

He enrolled at a state controlled CC and took classes. He could have had
the same result by sitting out the year since he didn't play for Oregon last
season. I don't see how it makes a difference.

You didn't. I was speaking about Durocher here.

>>> Well, given that he probably didn't make a 4-year committment to
>>> Pierce, I'm not surprised they didn't have anything bad to say about
>>> him.
>>
>> Your amazing ignorance is just screaming right now.
>
> I think I needed to tag that with <sarcasm></sarcasm> for you.

Oh well. OK. Nevermind.

>>> Very true. And I really hope he works out OK for himself. It's just
>>> that his timing was poor. And I thought that trumpeting him as
>>> "first Willingham commit" is funny, given his interpretation of the
>>> word "commit".
>>
>> You could have just said that and left it at that.
>
> I'm not as fast as I used to be.

Sigh...none of us are.

>>> I'd settle for what I've heard, which is "Akili Smith with more
>>> accuracy."
>>> pl
>>
>> He seemed pretty advanced for a high school QB when he was recruited.
>
> Yeah, Nike must be involved somehow.. some HS undetectable steroid
> program. I'm sure Bob will fill us in on the details.

Hahaha. That was good. I am pretty sure that Bob actually supplies the pot
and various drugs to the Ducks. He is a sneaky SOB.

Patrick Thrapp

Jan 1, 2005, 11:05:31 PM1/1/05
"Charles Beauchamp" wrote in message...

> I didn't say Belloti did. I was throwing a comparitive statement up there
> since the only one actually talking is the kid and he says he didn't get
> along with Mike...then got an offer from Willingham. I am of the
> assumption that Ty Willingham..who is very familiar with Pac Ten
> recruiting..and coach Belloti likely considered the issues at hand...yet
> he still saw fit to make the offer. My point...I will give Ty Willingham
> the benefit of the doubt over..Mike Belloti or some anonymous dood on
> USENET regarding someone that I have reason to believe has a little more
> credibility.

Another reason TW might have offered this kid is because he has now had time
to review the game tapes for this season's UW games. He figured he needed a
QB. Any QB!

That was a funny if you didn't know. (^;

Brit Adams

Jan 2, 2005, 12:29:48 AM1/2/05

"Charles Beauchamp" <C.E.Be...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message

I don't know if any venom is necessary here.

1. Johnny D is a hell of a prospect.
2. Oregon was thrilled to get him. (As an Oregon fan, I was thrilled to get
him.)
3. Johnny D lost head to head to Dixon
4. He saw he was likely not to start at Oregon
5. He transferred
6. UW needs a QB, and a good JC one is available
7. Johnny D becomes a husky

Is it more complicated than this? No.

Did he quit? Yes
Does that bother some people? Yes
Would 99.9% of us do the same thing, because we want to play, and hopefully
play at the next level? Yes.

Is Bellotti a scumbag? No.
Is Willingham a saint? No.

Anything else?

brit

Brit Adams

Jan 2, 2005, 12:34:24 AM1/2/05

"pland" <pl...@efn.org> wrote in message

> Yeah, Nike must be involved somehow.. some HS undetectable steroid
> program. I'm sure Bob will fill us in on the details.

Best post of 2005.

Brit

Brit Adams

Jan 2, 2005, 12:36:06 AM1/2/05

"Patrick Thrapp" <coll...@garbage.dump> wrote in message

> Another reason TW might have offered this kid is because he has now had
time
> to review the game tapes for this season's UW games. He figured he needed
> QB. Any QB!

Shit. I can't get Ty to stop calling me, even though:

1. I played O-line
2. When I was 10
3. My eligibility is gone.

Brit

Charles Beauchamp

Jan 2, 2005, 2:24:00 AM1/2/05

Nonpossible anyways because as you well know..UW didn't play any games this
season..or last season for that matter..in fact UW hasn't played a season
since beating Purdue in the Rose Bowl and that's my story..final deal.
Reggie and Cody happened but in a alternate universal thingy.

Charles Beauchamp

Jan 2, 2005, 2:25:14 AM1/2/05

YOU LYING SACK OF GOAT ROT BLECH HATE HATE HATE!!!

there is always a little room for venom <G>