Bernard King inducted into Hall of Fame

*ernie

Sep 9, 2013, 9:52:02 PM9/9/13

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - After five years of being nominated without making
the cut, Bernard King was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball
Hall of Fame Sunday.

For a player who made a career out of defying the odds, it was official
recognition of what many already knew to be true.
"Wow, this is amazing, the Hall of Fame,'' said King, 56. "To say I'm
delighted to be here would be an understatement.''

During the 1984-85 season, no one in the NBA could defend King, who
averaged a league-leading 32.9 points for the Knicks. Late in the
season, however, he hustled downcourt in an attempt to prevent a
breakaway layup by the Kansas City Kings' Reggie Theus, came down
awkwardly and tore the ACL in his right knee.

At the time, it was thought the injury would be career-ending. However,
the Brooklyn native underwent reconstructive surgery and a grueling
rehabilitation program and in the spring of 1987 returned to the NBA,
averaging 22.9 points in six games for the Knicks.

He spent the next four seasons with the Washington Bullets,
re-establishing himself as a star by averaging 20.9, 23.5, 24.6 and 27.2
points.

"I want all the kids that are watching to know that anything you dream
of and set a goal for can be achieved through hard work, education,
desire to achieve and commitment,'' King said.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/former-knicks-star-bernard-king-inducted-into-hall-of-fame-1.6034241

Congratulations to a great New York star.

--
ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

polymod

Sep 10, 2013, 1:54:31 PM9/10/13

"*ernie" <already...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - After five years of being nominated without making
> the cut, Bernard King was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball
> Hall of Fame Sunday.

'bout time.

Poly

Lubow

Sep 10, 2013, 4:20:30 PM9/10/13

"polymod" <pol...@optonline.net> wrote in message
To hell with whomever that guy is. He never brought the gold home. My vote
goes to Red Klotz a member of the NBA champion Baltimore Bullets which was
coached by the legendary Clair Bee. Unlike the current collection of
oversized freaks in the NBA Klotz, even after 65 years, remains the shortest
man ever to be the roster of an NBA champion.

When his playing days in the NBA were over he took control and ownership of
the semi-pro Philadelphia Sphas. After his Sphas defeated the Harlem
Globetrotters, Abe Saperstein asked Klotz if his Sphas would like to be the
semi-permanent opposition to Saperstein's Trotters in exhibition games.
Klotz agreed and renamed the Sphas to the Washington Generals.

Klotz's work in bringing basketball to the four corners of the world alone
makes him deserving to be enshrined with other greats of the game.