Mike Francessa

LEFUNK7586

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
Mike Francessa thinks JVG is a good up and coming coach. Francessa track record
with judging coaches is outstanding in any sport. He doesn't support the notion
of bringing in Jackson and firing JVG. He recognizes Jackson as a great coach,
however, Ietting go JVG a RiIey student for Jackson wouIdn't make any sense to
him. I see on this board the knick fans are Iacking a great deaI of knowIedge
when it comes to judging good coaches from bad coaches. My suggestion is to
Iisten to the Knicks fIagship station weekdays from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 660
WFAN. You wiII hear insightfuI sports commentary from the sports genius
Francessa and his partner Chris "mad dog" Russo.

P.S. Another suggestion boycott the overnight show with Joe Benigo he is a
CIown.

Don Waller

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99

LEFUNK7586 wrote:

I take Beningo -much- more seriously than Francesa/Russo, mainly because Beningo is
not afraid to give the Knicks credit when they do something right (rare these days,
I know), while Mike & the Mad Dog won't give the Knicks an inch. According to them,
there's always something wrong.

NYK could go on a 20-game win streak, and Francesa/Russo would complain that
they're winning too much.

Dorks.

MLeach4706

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99

Is it me or has Francesa seemed especially petulant and pompous lately? He
thinks he knows it all but he really doesn't.

Zhuger Liang

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99

Nah... I stop listening to them a long long time ago. They always pride
themselves of "brining objective opinions" to the fans and yet they won't
admit their attitude of "my way or highway" style. They are pathetic and
ridiculous, dont' bother with them.

MLeach4706 <mleac...@aol.com> wrote in message
19990314141346...@ng66.aol.com...

Michael

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99

Zhuger Liang wrote in message <7chg67$89p$1...@winter.news.rcn.net>...

>Nah... I stop listening to them a long long time ago. They always pride
>themselves of "brining objective opinions" to the fans and yet they won't
>admit their attitude of "my way or highway" style. They are pathetic and
>ridiculous, dont' bother with them.

I listened to guys quite a bit and they never gave the Knicks any respect. I
think francesa still smarts about that show he had on " The Point After" it
used to air after Knick games , then was canceled. Francesa made some sense
at times but russo is a total goof ball and managed to embarrass himself
several times at post game news conferences asking Stupid questions.

Don Waller

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99

MLeach4706 wrote:

> Is it me or has Francesa seemed especially petulant and pompous lately? He
> thinks he knows it all but he really doesn't.

He gets that way every March, because he gets to talk about what great pals he is
with Rick Majerus.

Didn't LardButt Francesa do NCAA for CBS before his radio show?

Kevin Dolorico

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
LEFUNK7586 (lefun...@aol.comThrough) wrote:
: Mike Francessa thinks JVG is a good up and coming coach. Francessa track record
: with judging coaches is outstanding in any sport. He doesn't support the notion
: of bringing in Jackson and firing JVG. He recognizes Jackson as a great coach,
: however, Ietting go JVG a RiIey student for Jackson wouIdn't make any sense to
: him. I see on this board the knick fans are Iacking a great deaI of knowIedge
: when it comes to judging good coaches from bad coaches. My suggestion is to
: Iisten to the Knicks fIagship station weekdays from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 660
: WFAN. You wiII hear insightfuI sports commentary from the sports genius
: Francessa and his partner Chris "mad dog" Russo.

So, let's get this straight, just because Francessa believes that JVG is a
good coach, you take that on blind faith that he's right?

Let's slice it down to the basics:
1) We tend to believe this Knicks team is very talented, with or without
Ewing.
2) If the team isn't playing well, certainly less than the sum of the
talent, there's really only one person you can blame it on: THE COACH.

3) The way JVG utilizies the team's highly paid players has been
questionable. JVG has over-relied upon the 36 year old Ewing, giving him
too many minutes, with no regard for his longevity--- he basically said
that he'd keep riding Ewing until he said he wanted a day off. A prideful
player like Ewing needs to be told what to do. If he can't tell Ewing
what to do, well, it shows that he doesn't have control over his own
players. JVG not playing Camby and Dudley for more minutes has been
embarassing, considering how much both of these players have contributed
in the minutes they've gotten. Maybe too much Don Nelson has rubbed off
on JVG and his love of the small lineups.

4) JVG has shown time and time again his inability to smoothly integrate
new players into his lineups. Houston, LJ, Camby, Sprewell, Mills, etc,
etc... they all have had problems getting involved.

I think it's a lost cause at this point. I think he's outlasted his
welcome here.

--
Copyright Kevin Dolorico, 1999.
http://www.technomaster.com/

ICECOLDNYC

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
In article <19990314141346...@ng66.aol.com>, mleac...@aol.com
(MLeach4706) writes:

>Is it me or has Francesa seemed especially petulant and pompous lately? He
>thinks he knows it all but he really doesn't.

Could it be because of the breakup of his wife Kate, maybe he is lonely and
bitter!!! And the next thing you know mad dog gets married and has a kid!!!!

ICE, ICE & MORE ICE.... ICECOLD Big Apple Trees Just Got Down!!!!!!!!

ICECOLDNYC

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
In article <36edbd83...@news.mindspring.com>,
Emera...@REMOVEmindspring.com (Snarky Spice) writes:

>Nope. He dumped his wife for some hoochie.

Really??

ICECOLDNYC

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
In article <36f87c66...@news.mindspring.com>,
Emera...@REMOVEmindspring.com (Snarky Spice) writes:

>Nah, he's always been that way. I've got a couple of good stories
>about His Royal Prickness.

Please tell us snarky!!! I am very curious!!!

Joseph Tyson

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99

LEFUNK7586 wrote in message
<19990314091605...@ng-da1.aol.com>...

>Mike Francessa thinks JVG is a good up and coming coach. Francessa track
record
>with judging coaches is outstanding in any sport.
Fatso & Fruit Loops know about as much about NBA Basketball as the drunk on
the barstool next to you.
Mike "Fatso" Francesa is an out and out fraud when passing himself off as an
authority on baseball of basketball. He ought to stick to football.

oscar_mey...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
In article <19990314091605...@ng-da1.aol.com>,

lefun...@aol.comThrough (LEFUNK7586) wrote:
> Mike Francessa thinks JVG is a good up and coming coach. Francessa track
record
> with judging coaches is outstanding in any sport.

Examples? And no, Parcells doesn't count.

> He doesn't support the notion
> of bringing in Jackson and firing JVG. He recognizes Jackson as a great coach,
> however, Ietting go JVG a RiIey student for Jackson wouIdn't make any sense to
> him.

Did he say why? It's nice to say, but why?

> I see on this board the knick fans are Iacking a great deaI of knowIedge
> when it comes to judging good coaches from bad coaches.

How so? Again, anyone can say it, but why? Because Mike "mid section"
Francessa says otherwise? Please, share with us some of your/his reasons why.

> My suggestion is to
> Iisten to the Knicks fIagship station weekdays from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 660
> WFAN.

My suggestion is to think for yourself and stop listening to other people
telling what is good and what is not.

> You wiII hear insightfuI sports commentary from the sports genius
> Francessa and his partner Chris "mad dog" Russo.

Is this his publicist talking?

> P.S. Another suggestion boycott the overnight show with Joe Benigo he is a
> CIown.

I love Joe Benigo. Just kidding.

BTW...Do you ask Francessa for permission to dress in the morning too?

Michael

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99

Snarky Spice wrote in message <36fc21e2...@news.mindspring.com>...

>>>Nah, he's always been that way. I've got a couple of good stories
>>>about His Royal Prickness.
>>
>>Please tell us snarky!!! I am very curious!!!
>>

>About 9 or 10 years ago, my dad's softball team played WFAN's team in
>a charity game. (This was before he teamed up with Russo.)
>
>Not only did he make a prick out of himself by letting it be known
>before the game that he wouldn't sign any autographs, but he refused
>to attend the party (for all players and their families, held in a
>clubhouse right off the field) after the game. That was quite puzzling
>to us, as free food was in abundance. But apparently, his desire to
>not socialize with "mere mortals" overrode his desire to stuff his
>face.
>
>That said, Russo was quite nice. Shy, but nice. And his real voice is
>very different from his on-air pig-like squealing.

What...What.....Thats it! Thats the couple stories miss Inside has.
Phooie, A stupid story from 10 years ago.
That was probably the last time you were actually in circulation.

Francesa got along fine when tuna was in NE and should continue his career
long after Tuna hangs it up.

PS Russo is a rigid pri%#.

Katie Baker

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <19990314091605...@ng-da1.aol.com>,
lefun...@aol.comThrough (LEFUNK7586) wrote:

> My suggestion is to
> Iisten to the Knicks fIagship station weekdays from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 660

> WFAN. You wiII hear insightfuI sports commentary from the sports genius

> Francessa and his partner Chris "mad dog" Russo.

I listen to the FAN waaaaay too much. I can't stand those guys. I think
ALL hockey fans feel the same way (in fact, in the Rangers NG we refer to
the FAN as WNHT - No Hockey Talk) They're fine with baseball and football,
but damn, I hate it when they try to act as if they have a clue and they
don't. The other day they endlessly berated a poor caller who had heard
from ESPN Insider that Calipari's job was on the line. They went on and on
about their connections, yada yada yada, how Cal was safe etc... what
happens? He's fired. They are all talk. They know shit about hockey so
they schedule hockey interviews at 5:15 so they can introduce the guy,
have a 20/20 flash, have the interview, another 20/20, then they quickly
change the topic and take no more calls. I could go on and on .. but I
don't like Mike and the Bad Dog.

> P.S. Another suggestion boycott the overnight show with Joe Benigo he is a
> CIown.

Hey, I like Beningo very much. Down to earth, not afraid to say what he
thinks. He was the only guy on the FAN who said that if he saw one more
newspaper article about how the Nets suck, but Cal is still a great coach,
he'd scream. Likeable, and he knows his hockey so he earns points with me
that way ;-)

Katie

--
Katie Baker - the chick with the hockey stick ;-)
http://home.talkcity.com/gardenway/katieccc

"It looks like someone sat on it."
-Phil Pritchard, Hall of Fame spokesman, on dents in
the Stanley Cup after the Rangers won it.

Michael

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Katie Baker wrote in message ...

What about Russ & Steve, they talk hockey, Steve Loves hockey. And I'm sorry
katie, but that's probably enough far the vast majority. Going by the
ratings, Hockey does not draw anywhere near the ratings of Baseball,
basketball and football, Can't blame the radio station for going with the
things people like more. Personally I don't like hockey and was Very bored
when Mike and the dog talked about it although Steve made it interesting
because he does passionately love the game.

Down here in Charlotte on WFNZ they devote a 1 minute to hockey and talk way
too much about college ball and Never talk about the Knicks....Although they
will mention the Yankees from time to time.

Katie Baker

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <7ctku1$2n...@enews3.newsguy.com>, "Michael" <md...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What about Russ & Steve, they talk hockey, Steve Loves hockey. And I'm sorry
> katie, but that's probably enough far the vast majority. Going by the
> ratings, Hockey does not draw anywhere near the ratings of Baseball,
> basketball and football, Can't blame the radio station for going with the
> things people like more. Personally I don't like hockey and was Very bored
> when Mike and the dog talked about it although Steve made it interesting
> because he does passionately love the game.

Yes, Russ and Steve do talk hockey, thank God. I do understand that
hockey isn't as popular as the Big Three, but sometimes I get really
pissed off at WFAN. For example, it's fine if Mike and Chris choose not to
talk hockey, but the fact is they don't know ANYTHING about it. When there
IS a hockey call, they insult the intelligence of the caller even though
they don't have a clue. They're also hypocrits -- they claim that their
favorite moment was the Rangers winning the Cup. PuhLEEEASE.

Also, I hate the way the station is SO baseball dominated. I mean, it'll
be the middle of the NHL and NBA playoffs, and the talk is primarily about
the Mets and Yankees first 3 weeks. It's so dumb. And if you try to call
them on it, they'll just berate you and then hang up on you.

> Down here in Charlotte on WFNZ they devote a 1 minute to hockey and talk way
> too much about college ball and Never talk about the Knicks....Although they
> will mention the Yankees from time to time.

Why would they talk about the Knicks in Charlotte anyway? I'm not
surprised there's no hockey and a lot of college ball. (I'm assuming you
mean Charlotte, NC.) First of all, the only NC hockey team is the Carolina
Hurricanes, and they're not very good, plus they don't even have a real
home arena. Second of all, college ball is huge there. You have Duke, UNC
Chapel Hill, UNC Charlotte, Wake Forest, etc. All good teams. Then in SC
there is Clemson, another good team. It's interesting that they talk about
the Yankees in Charlotte, though, but I guess I see that because the
Yankees are such a good team.

Michael

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Katie Baker wrote in message ...

I know they have no reason to talk about the Knicks, but I'd wish they would
anyway and was just sharing a personal pain. I can get the Fan down here at
night sometimes, in fact you can pick up a lot of Boston stations. And yes
this is the Epicenter of college hoops and I'm still getting used to that as
I haven't been a college fan before but down here, you can't help it.

Yes The Fan does baseball way too much and francessa and especially russo,
the little jerk, rags on the Knicks and Ewing in particular way too much.

From my perspective, I was impressed with the play Francessa and doggy gave
hockey, it was clear they didn't like it but it appeared they had at least
done their homework well enough to pull it off. They had me fooled anyway. I
thought about how boring it would be for me if I HAD to know that much about
Hockey, it would be like algerbre class. Please don't think I'm trying to
upset you dissing Hockey, I'm being honest, it just never grabbed me.

Regards,
Michael

SNUMBER6

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
>From: ka...@darkstar.net (Katie Baker)

>he other day they endlessly berated a poor caller who had heard
>from ESPN Insider that Calipari's job was on the line. They went on and on
>about their connections, yada yada yada, how Cal was safe etc...

Hey Katie ... Both of us slumming here from the Rangers newsgroup ...
I agree with the quote above whole heartedly I heard that and wanted to through
a brick at my radio ... They (mostly Francesca) are too arrogant in their
elitism ... They KNOW ... the caller is full of crap ... When it turned out
wrong where was the apology ..hell they should be eating crow ... instead they
have a pansy interview with the new coach ... They are arrogant and
unprofessional ... maybe good they dont cover hockey much ... then i would
indeed have tossed a brick at my radio ...

In the Village ....
I am not a number ... I am a free man !!!!

MLeach4706

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

>On 17 Mar 1999 14:36:47 GMT, iceco...@aol.comIceCold (ICECOLDNYC)
>was recognized by the Chair:

>>>About 9 or 10 years ago, my dad's softball team played WFAN's team in
>>>a charity game. (This was before he teamed up with Russo.)
>>>
>>>Not only did he make a prick out of himself by letting it be known
>>>before the game that he wouldn't sign any autographs, but he refused
>>>to attend the party (for all players and their families, held in a
>>>clubhouse right off the field) after the game. That was quite puzzling
>>>to us, as free food was in abundance. But apparently, his desire to
>>>not socialize with "mere mortals" overrode his desire to stuff his
>>>face.
>>>
>>>That said, Russo was quite nice. Shy, but nice. And his real voice is
>>>very different from his on-air pig-like squealing.
>>>

>>Well I guess he thinks that he is above mere mortals as you say... He and
>chris
>>used to always talk about his wife kate I believe. Oh well he left her huh??
>>Another fat successful guy going for a younger woman and leaving the one
>that
>>stayed with him all these years!!!!!!!!!!
>>

>I think we're supposed to believe that the new wife fell for his
>looks. <smirk>

Is She as a rotund as he is?

MLeach4706

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

Katie, Snumber6 this is exactly what I was talking about. They went on and on
about how David Aldride of ESPN knows anything if they don't. Then went on to
say without knowing the facts that Aldridge makes things up because it was a
slow news day or something. And Cal was fired what the next day or two?

Mad Dog at least admitted he was wrong and seemed to be trying to at least coax
Francesa into admitting it to but his arrogance and ego wouldn't let him do it
even begrudgingly that he was the one that didn't know what he was talking
about.

Anyway I stopped listening to these guys for a long time then started up again
and it just seems that Francesa has gotten to the point where he takes the
coaches side over the fans.

Another point: Francesca himself pointed out that he and Calipari have the same
agent and that he had a "relationship" with Calipari can this explain why he is
so quick to come to his defense. Now I wonder about Van Guny....

ICECOLDNYC

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
In article <katie-19039...@pen-nj1-23.ix.netcom.com>,
ka...@darkstar.net (Katie Baker) writes:

>Also, I hate the way the station is SO baseball dominated. I mean, it'll
>be the middle of the NHL and NBA playoffs, and the talk is primarily about
>the Mets and Yankees first 3 weeks. It's so dumb. And if you try to call
>them on it, they'll just berate you and then hang up on you.

Very good point Kate. On this I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!! We can talk baseball all
summer.

ICECOLDNYC

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
writes:

>Going by the
>ratings, Hockey does not draw anywhere near the ratings of Baseball,
>basketball and football, Can't blame the radio station for going with the
>things people like more. Personally I don't like hockey and was Very bored
>when Mike and the dog talked about it although Steve made it interesting
>because he does passionately love the game.

Very true statement!
Some hockey fans know and understand this but, some just feel slighted that
most of america doesn't give a crap about hockey just like some don't care
about soccer!!! That is just the facts. I don't know the order of importance it
is but I think it is.....
1) Football
2) Baseball
3) Basketball
If hockey is in there it is a very distant 4. Feel free to dispute the order of
importance.

SNUMBER6

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
>From: mleac...@aol.com (MLeach4706)

>Another point: Francesca himself pointed out that he and Calipari have the
>same
>agent and that he had a "relationship" with Calipari can this explain why he
>is
>so quick to come to his defense.

Thanx for that info I did not realize that ... that makes Francesca what is
called in Las Vegas a shill ...

Michael

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

Snarky Spice wrote in message <36f5188...@news.mindspring.com>...

>>Is She as a rotund as he is?
>

>I have no idea, but if I had to guess I'd say no. Guys like Francessa
>don't ever look in the mirror and believe that they are entitled to
>the babes of the world, regardless of how many ZIP codes their asses
>cover.

My bet is that "babe" was very intensely attracted to the Hugh bulge in
Francessa's pants....right where he keeps his wallet. However Larry King
makes Big Mike look like an alter boy. I would hope Kate got herself a
qualified attorney and is comfortable.

PS I wonder how long Russo's marraige will go? How could she stand that
voice.

rfwri...@bellsouth.net

Dec 4, 2014, 12:46:33 AM12/4/14
On Sunday, March 14, 1999 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, LEFUNK7586 wrote:
> Mike Francessa thinks JVG is a good up and coming coach. Francessa track record
> with judging coaches is outstanding in any sport. He doesn't support the notion
> of bringing in Jackson and firing JVG. He recognizes Jackson as a great coach,
> however, Ietting go JVG a RiIey student for Jackson wouIdn't make any sense to
> him. I see on this board the knick fans are Iacking a great deaI of knowIedge
> when it comes to judging good coaches from bad coaches. My suggestion is to
> Iisten to the Knicks fIagship station weekdays from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 660
> WFAN. You wiII hear insightfuI sports commentary from the sports genius
> Francessa and his partner Chris "mad dog" Russo.
>
> P.S. Another suggestion boycott the overnight show with Joe Benigo he is a
> CIown.

Look at the Knicks now. Terrible.