OT: The shortest AT&T Digital Cable experience ever!!

Ted Montague

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
Well the guy came today to install the Digital Cable, and 10 minutes after he left, we
were on the phone canceling the service. Turns out, AT&T doesn't offer NBA League Pass in
Newark, even though the customer service guy told me they did when I ordered the cable
almost a month ago. After they came to install it tonight, I immediately called up to
order League Pass and was told it is not offered here. She says, "Sorry sir, League Pass
isn't available in Newark, but we do offer it in Hayward. " I'm like, OK great, Hayward,
let me just pick up my house and move it 15 miles.

So it's back to the DirecTV satellite for me, no way I'm going the whole NBA season with
no Laker basketball!!! Good thing we didn't cancel the DirecTV.

Ben Johnson

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00

To have had satellite with Lakers games and to have lost it is far
worse than never having it at all.

Ben Johnson

bozak

Oct 19, 2000, 10:30:27 PM10/19/00
Ted Montague wrote:

> Well the guy came today to install the Digital Cable, and 10 minutes after he left, we
> were on the phone canceling the service. Turns out, AT&T doesn't offer NBA League Pass in
> Newark, even though the customer service guy told me they did when I ordered the cable
> almost a month ago. After they came to install it tonight, I immediately called up to
> order League Pass and was told it is not offered here. She says, "Sorry sir, League Pass
> isn't available in Newark, but we do offer it in Hayward. " I'm like, OK great, Hayward,
> let me just pick up my house and move it 15 miles.
>
> So it's back to the DirecTV satellite for me, no way I'm going the whole NBA season with
> no Laker basketball!!! Good thing we didn't cancel the DirecTV.

i dont know if your cable companies digital cable is like the one
we have here, but let me tell you, adelphia's digital cable is pure
crap... i couldnt tell the difference between that and a regular
cable picture... ive had directv for a week now and with the hdtv
satellite i cant see having anything else... you cant even get
hdtv through digital cable channels in my area, thats why i
went with directv... not only that directv had a package when i
ordered last week where if you ordered the nfl football package
at 169, you got three months of the platinum package for free...
i jumped on it... with that and the nba, im paying a hundy a
month for three months, and then it will go down to sixty...
i have two extra receivers which make my bill ten bucks more
a month...
--
"I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against
racial profiling, which is illiterate children."

"dumya"

i threw my televison away a long time ago!!!

"spin knight" real audio listener???

LCK

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Ted Montague wrote:

> Well the guy came today to install the Digital Cable, and 10 minutes after he left, we
> were on the phone canceling the service. Turns out, AT&T doesn't offer NBA League Pass in
> Newark, even though the customer service guy told me they did when I ordered the cable
> almost a month ago. After they came to install it tonight, I immediately called up to
> order League Pass and was told it is not offered here. She says, "Sorry sir, League Pass
> isn't available in Newark, but we do offer it in Hayward. " I'm like, OK great, Hayward,
> let me just pick up my house and move it 15 miles.
>
> So it's back to the DirecTV satellite for me, no way I'm going the whole NBA season with
> no Laker basketball!!! Good thing we didn't cancel the DirecTV.

This new economy with low unemployment is taking customer service to lower levels of customer
satisfaction. I had to call AT&T 3 times, including the first one to switch to digital cable,
to get NBA League Pass. I just can't wait until my next bill to see if I'm charged $169 x 3
for it!

Ted, it seems NBA League Pass is offered through inDemand on digital cable. If you have any
inDemand PPV channels showing on your digital cable, then one would THINK NBA League Pass is
also available. If you have any reason to go cable instead of satellite (nothwithstanding
bozak's recs), then it might be worth one more phone call to AT&T FraudBand. During my last
phone call a supervisor was involved, so maybe that's what it takes.

Glad you'll be able to see the Lakers no matter what!

LCK

brown...@my-deja.com

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
In article <CzMH5.13205$cO4.2...@nntp3.onemain.com>,

"Ted Montague" <th...@NOSPAMthegrid.net> wrote:
> Well the guy came today to install the Digital Cable, and 10 minutes
after he left, we
> were on the phone canceling the service. Turns out, AT&T doesn't
offer NBA League Pass in
> Newark, even though the customer service guy told me they did when I
ordered the cable
> almost a month ago. After they came to install it tonight, I
immediately called up to
> order League Pass and was told it is not offered here. She
says, "Sorry sir, League Pass
> isn't available in Newark, but we do offer it in Hayward. " I'm
like, OK great, Hayward,
> let me just pick up my house and move it 15 miles.
>
> So it's back to the DirecTV satellite for me, no way I'm going the
whole NBA season with
> no Laker basketball!!! Good thing we didn't cancel the DirecTV.

I'd like to give you a better point of reference, Ted, but both of my
Newark-based friends have DirecTV, not Digital Cable, and not because
of NBA League Pass. DSS picture has also looked better to me than
Digital Cable, which has always seemed to vary wildly from one provider
to the next. Not that the quality of the average NBA broadcast is a
good indicator - those KCAL broadcasts are really badly produced.

r muncada

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Branden Wolner

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
in article CzMH5.13205$cO4.2...@nntp3.onemain.com, Ted Montague at
th...@NOSPAMthegrid.net wrote on 10/19/00 8:48 PM:

> Well the guy came today to install the Digital Cable, and 10 minutes after he
> left, we
> were on the phone canceling the service. Turns out, AT&T doesn't offer NBA
> League Pass in
> Newark, even though the customer service guy told me they did when I ordered
> the cable
> almost a month ago. After they came to install it tonight, I immediately
> called up to
> order League Pass and was told it is not offered here. She says, "Sorry sir,
> League Pass
> isn't available in Newark, but we do offer it in Hayward. " I'm like, OK
> great, Hayward,
> let me just pick up my house and move it 15 miles.
>
> So it's back to the DirecTV satellite for me, no way I'm going the whole NBA
> season with
> no Laker basketball!!! Good thing we didn't cancel the DirecTV.

I was going to try ATT - do you know if they give NBA league pass in the
Worcester area?
--
Branden Wolner
dewey...@netzero.net

Ted Montague

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

"Branden Wolner" <dewe...@netzero.net> wrote in message

> in article CzMH5.13205$cO4.2...@nntp3.onemain.com, Ted Montague at
> th...@NOSPAMthegrid.net wrote on 10/19/00 8:48 PM:
>
> > Well the guy came today to install the Digital Cable, and 10 minutes after he
> > left, we
> > were on the phone canceling the service. Turns out, AT&T doesn't offer NBA
> > League Pass in
> > Newark, even though the customer service guy told me they did when I ordered
> > the cable
> > almost a month ago. After they came to install it tonight, I immediately
> > called up to
> > order League Pass and was told it is not offered here. She says, "Sorry sir,
> > League Pass
> > isn't available in Newark, but we do offer it in Hayward. " I'm like, OK
> > great, Hayward,
> > let me just pick up my house and move it 15 miles.
> >
> > So it's back to the DirecTV satellite for me, no way I'm going the whole NBA
> > season with
> > no Laker basketball!!! Good thing we didn't cancel the DirecTV.
> >

> I was going to try ATT - do you know if they give NBA league pass in the
> Worcester area?

That's just a bit out of my area. ;)

Ted Montague

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

<brown...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8spniv$81d$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <CzMH5.13205$cO4.2...@nntp3.onemain.com>,
> "Ted Montague" <th...@NOSPAMthegrid.net> wrote:
> > Well the guy came today to install the Digital Cable, and 10 minutes
> after he left, we
> > were on the phone canceling the service. Turns out, AT&T doesn't
> offer NBA League Pass in
> > Newark, even though the customer service guy told me they did when I
> ordered the cable
> > almost a month ago. After they came to install it tonight, I
> immediately called up to
> > order League Pass and was told it is not offered here. She
> says, "Sorry sir, League Pass
> > isn't available in Newark, but we do offer it in Hayward. " I'm
> like, OK great, Hayward,
> > let me just pick up my house and move it 15 miles.
> >
> > So it's back to the DirecTV satellite for me, no way I'm going the
> whole NBA season with
> > no Laker basketball!!! Good thing we didn't cancel the DirecTV.
> >

> I'd like to give you a better point of reference, Ted, but both of my
> Newark-based friends have DirecTV, not Digital Cable, and not because
> of NBA League Pass. DSS picture has also looked better to me than
> Digital Cable, which has always seemed to vary wildly from one provider
> to the next. Not that the quality of the average NBA broadcast is a
> good indicator - those KCAL broadcasts are really badly produced.
>
> r muncada

I really didn't get a chance to look at the Digital Cable quality closely in the 10
minutes we had it (I'm not joking, literally 10 minutes after the installation guy left,
we canceled). But, I did notice that changing channels was really slow with Digital
Cable. When you first changed the channel it would have that digital blocky look, and it
took awhile for it to clear up. Plus, the menus on the digital cable box are pretty slow
compared to our RCA DSS, and the DSS is about 8 years old.