BANG/Rubin: Klay Thompson heats up for 35 points in surprise bench roll as Warriors beat Jazz

Allen

Feb 16, 2024, 7:32:11 PMFeb 16
Klay Thompson heats up for 35 points in surprise bench roll as Warriors
beat Jazz
Golden State Warriors: Klay Thompson didn't start, but he did finish in
tight win over Utah Jazz

>SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH – FEBRUARY 15: Klay Thompson #11 of the Golden
State Warriors celebrates a three point shot during the second half of a
game against the Utah Jazz at Delta Center on February 15, 2024 in Salt
Lake City, Utah. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees
that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to
the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo
by Alex Goodlett/Getty Images)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | sru...@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: February 15, 2024 at 8:46 p.m. | UPDATED: February 16, 2024
at 8:26 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/02/15/klay-thompson-goes-off-for-35-after-being-left-off-starting-five-in-win-vs-jazz/

Much has been made about Klay Thompson’s time on the bench this season.
Not the everyday, automatic scoring machine was before two surgeries,
Thompson’s struggles have landed him on the bench in crunch time
numerous times to his visible dismay.

Thursday night in the Warriors’ 140-137 win over the Jazz, for the first
time since his rookie season, Thompson was not in the starting five.
Rookie Brandin Podziemski started in his place on the second night of a
back-to-back alongside Steph Curry, Andrew Wiggins, Jonathan Kuminga and
Draymond Green. Coach Steve Kerr said he will get a good look at this
lineup, with Thompson off the bench, when the season resumes after the
All-Star break. Kerr had “been thinking about” this change for a while,
a decision that loomed heavy over Thompson’s tumultuous season so far.

Even over the last 24 hours, Thompson has had to confront his NBA
mortality again. He apologized for taking out his frustrations on
assistant coaches after he did not close what turned out to be a
late-collapse loss to the Clippers. He’d been benched for poor
performance, the team was being outscored by seven points with him on
the floor while he shot 4-for-14 from the field.

Thursday morning came Thompson’s ultimate reckoning. Kerr sat Thompson
down to tell him he’d be coming off the bench.

“It’s been a tricky season for him and for us,” said Kerr, who earned
his 500th win as Warriors coach, to reporters in Utah. “It’s not as easy
to do what Klay did five or six years ago for him. I think this could be
a good balance to get the best out of Klay and to get the best out of
our team.”

This was perhaps something more palatable for Thompson as a rookie in
March of 2012, the last time he wasn’t part of the starting five — even
after his return from two major surgeries, Thompson started every game —
but certainly a blow to the ego as one of the proud faces of this dynasty.

In a way, Kerr had guided Thompson to this water. Thompson survived the
emotional toll of being benched in crunch time against the Phoenix Suns,
Brooklyn Nets and Clippers this season. His ego could survive this.

“You can do two things: You can pout or you can go out there and
respond,” Thompson told reporters in Utah. “I thought I did the latter
very well tonight.”

Not only did Thompson survive, he thrived off the bench in 27 minutes.
His stop on the defensive end to force a Keyonte George travel helped
put the clamps on a Utah Jazz fourth-quarter comeback. He had an easy
35-point night, leading the team in scoring and setting a season high of
his own, shooting 13-of-22 from the field and 7-of-13 from 3. He had six
rebounds, too.

How Thompson embraces roles that differ from his established spot as a
bona-fide second scorer and automatic starter-and-closer next to his
longtime teammates Curry and Green could determine not only how the
Warriors’ season progresses after the All-Star break, but his future
role with the franchise with which he has played his entire career. The
34-year-old named Ray Allen, Reggie Miller and, after this win, San
Antonio Spurs sixth-man of the year Manu Ginobili as inspirations for
Hall of Fame players who embraced the glory of a lesser role or, in
Ginobili’s case, made a name for himself as a reserve on a championship
squad.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ poor defense rears its ugly head against Clippers. Is it
cause for concern?
Warriors erase Curry flurry with another late-game collapse against
Clippers
Bay Area-centric Steph vs. Sabrina All-Star shootout finally comes to
fruition
Kurtenbach: LeBron James made a mistake saying no to Steph Curry and
Warriors (plus 4 other mid-week thoughts)
Warriors tried to acquire LeBron James at trade deadline: report

“I realized I’m going to play a ton of minutes, so you have to let the
ego go when coming off the bench. I thought about Manu Ginobli, that guy
has four rings and a gold medal, and he came off the bench his whole
career, and I don’t think anyone looks down on his Hall of Fame
candidacy,” Thompson said. “He’s one of the greats. And I thought, I
mean, I embraced it before tip, and I mean, I deserved it really. I
didn’t respond to not playing at the end well last night.”

Thompson has fallen into more valleys than peaks this season, just as
his team has. And Thursday night’s game despite Thompson’s heroics
nearly fell into the pit.

The Warriors built an 18-point lead to start the fourth quarter, but the
defense relapsed into its worst habits — over-helping off the corner to
allow open 3-pointers in the corner. The Jazz capitalized, hitting 22 of
49 attempts from beyond the arc to erase the big lead.

Similar to the collapse against the Clippers on Wednesday, the Warriors
couldn’t get a critical rebound off a Thompson miss up just one point
and 24 seconds on the clock. Utah center John Collins wrangled the first
rebound, but Lauri Markkanen missed the go-ahead bucket on the other end
from 3. Collins grabbed a second rebound but threw the ball 10 rows up
into the seats with 2.4 seconds left.

A pair of Curry free throws gave the Jazz a chance to tie it, but Collin
Sexton missed his open 3 to seal the Warriors’ win. Golden State
finishes the unofficial first half a game over .500, 27-26, having
overcome more than a mediocre record might indicate.

Individually and collectively this team is solving its identity crisis.
Now winners of eight of their last 10 games with a nice break in
between, the Warriors can use the last few weeks of the season to break
free on a run for the postseason.

Getting Thompson on board for his redefined role is just a piece of that
puzzle.

“He’s just such a competitor,” Kerr said. “I’ve watched him win
championships. I’ve seen him hit a million big shots. I’ve seen him
guard the toughest guys in the league. Klay’s a champion.”