BANG: Steph Curry wraps whirlwind All-Star weekend, looks forward to Warriors hosting next year

Allen

Feb 19, 2024, 7:13:53 PMFeb 19
Steph Curry wraps whirlwind All-Star weekend, looks forward to Warriors
hosting next year
Curry hits first two 3-pointers, then just 2-for-11 rest of the way in
211-186 loss to the East

>A.P. Photo Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) laughs as
the crowd chants during a free throw attempt during the second half of
an NBA All-Star basketball game in Indianapolis, Sunday, Feb. 18, 2024.
(AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
Jerry McDonald, Bay Area News Group Sports Writer
By JERRY MCDONALD | jmcd...@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: February 19, 2024 at 5:45 a.m. | UPDATED: February 19, 2024
at 9:30 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/02/19/steph-all-star/

Stephen Curry saved his best for first during the NBA’s showcase
All-Star weekend at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

A night after edging former Miramonte High star Sabrina Ionescu of the
New York Liberty in a groundbreaking WNBA-NBA 3-point challenge, Curry
came up cold Sunday night as a reserve for the West in a 211-186 loss to
the East in the NBA All-Star game.

Curry, named to his 10th All-Star game and playing as a reserve for the
first time, hit his first two 3-point attempts and was 2-for-11 the rest
of the way from beyond the arc. He finished with 16 points on 6-for-17
shooting, 4-for-13 on 3-point attempts and added eight assists and five
rebounds in just under 26 minutes of playing time.

A 35.3 shooting percentage was the third lowest out of 24 players who
saw playing time in the highest-scoring game in All-Star history, with
only Luka Doncic of Dallas (3-for-10, 30 percent) and Trey Young of
Atlanta and the East (2-for-6, 33 percent) doing worse.

Curry wasn’t bashful about dialing long-distance, with misses coming
from as far as 36 and 41 feet. He’s already looking forward to next
year’s All-Star Game when the Warriors play host at Chase Center.

“I’m extremely excited. In 2019 I got to go home to Charlotte and feel
the love of my hometown and embrace that experience,” Curry told
reporters following the game. “I imagine it’s going to be that plus a
whole lot more, hosting it in the bay. The whole bay has a lot to offer.
San Francisco, Chase Center, possibly some spotlights on Oakland and our
history there. I’m thankful it will be a short drive.”

In Curry’s last All-Star game in 2022 (he was named a starter but didn’t
play due to injury last season), he set an All-Star game record by
hitting 16 of 27 3-point shots and scored 50 points for Team LeBron when
the game was played under a different format.

Warriors teammate Draymond Green, working on the TNT telecast Sunday
night, predicted beforehand Curry would end up the game’s Most Valuable
Player

“I’m looking for Steph being MVP. He’s not a starter and he’ll take that
as a sign of disrespect and you know how that goes,” Green said.

--
Golden State Warriors
@warriors ·Follow

Sheeeesh, Curry
[video]

6:32 PM · Feb 18, 2024
7.4K Reply Share
--

Wonder of wonders, Curry did manage a pair of impressive plays in areas
where he has long been anonymous. First, Curry actually blocked a shot

Curry was upstaged in terms of long-distance shooting by Milwaukee’s
Damian Lillard, the Oakland High product who led all scorers with 39
points, hitting 14 of 26 shots and 11 of 23 from 3-point range. Lillard,
who won the 3-point contest Saturday night after Curry’s shootout with
Ionescu, was named the game’s MVP.

“Dame’s been doing it his whole career,” Curry said. “I know I got off
to the head start and you just stretch your imagination . . .it’s always
fun to stretch the limits of where you can shoot and he’s been doing it
for a long time.”

Towns of Minnesota led all scorers with 50 points, 31 of them in the
fourth quarter. He hit 22 of 35 shots.

Ionescu hit her first seven shots Saturday night to put the pressure on
Curry, who had to out-shoot all the winners in the NBA 3-point contest
to escape with a win.

“The whole spirit of competition, it manifested itself the way it was
supposed to,” Curry said. “She showed up, put the pressure on me to get
a pretty good number to win it. I couldn’t have asked for a better
outcome for the whole challenge. I’m more relaxed today. I’m used to
this format and I can just go out and play basketball.”

The NBA-WNBA shootout format is expected to return in some form when the
Warriors host the All-Star game at Chase. According to SportsMediaWatch,
NBA All-Star Saturday night had a viewership bump of 31 percent and
peaked in terms of viewership in TNT and TruTV at 5.42 million during
the Steph vs. Sabrina contest.

The Warriors, 27-26 after winning eight of their last 10 going into the
All-Star break, resume play with a three-game homestand — Thursday night
against the Los Angeles Lakers (30-26), Friday night against Charlotte
(13-41) and Sunday night against Denver (36-19).

“Since the ’22 finals, we’ve had kind of an up and down existence,”
Curry said in a pregame interview on TNT. “There’s a lot of energy right
now, a lot of confidence in how we’ve been playing. (Jonathan Kuminga)
has been stepping up at an unbelievable level. B.P. (Brandin Podziemski)
has stepped into a prominent role.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The 2025 NBA All-Star Game in San Francisco should be the
league’s last
NBA All-Star Game: Curry, West endure record-setting loss; Lillard is MVP
Steph Curry defeats Sabrina Ionescu in groundbreaking All-Star
3-point challenge
Steph Curry’s 10th All-Star weekend will look a little different than
his first nine appearances
Klay Thompson heats up for 35 points in surprise bench roll as
Warriors beat Jazz

“We’re evolving the way we’re playing. We have a great opportunity in
front of us and have 30-something games to get on a run. All we want is
to go to get in the playoffs and for us, we know what it takes to win a
series. We just want to get there.”

LEBRON ON WARRIORS: Here’s how LeBron James responded to the TNT TV crew
about the Warriors’ reported interest (via ESPN) in bringing him in from
the Lakers to play with Curry:

“It didn’t get far at all,” James said. “Sometimes things happen behind
closed doors you don’t even know about. If it’s real or not, they’ll
bring it to you. They never brought it to me. I heard about it when the
report dropped as well.”