Pistons Pick

Grey Matters

May 20, 2015, 10:55:52 AM5/20/15
Pistons stay at #8. No lottery luck, not that I was expecting any.
Hopefully Van Gundy is able to follow in Dumars's footsteps in finding a
solid player there, although it's a bit worrisome that the team has been in
the lottery so long that the first unexpected success, Monroe, has been
around so long he's now eligible to be a free agent.

SkippyPB

May 20, 2015, 12:17:55 PM5/20/15
They'll probably lose Monroe so they should look to draft a similar
player. This year's draft is pretty deep so they should be able to
select someone that fits their needs.

Regards,
--
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
-- Mark Twain

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve

Grey Matters

May 20, 2015, 5:31:01 PM5/20/15
SkippyPB <swie...@Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 20 May 2015 14:55:45 +0000 (UTC), Grey Matters
>
>>Pistons stay at #8. No lottery luck, not that I was expecting any.
>>Hopefully Van Gundy is able to follow in Dumars's footsteps in finding
>>a solid player there, although it's a bit worrisome that the team has
>>been in the lottery so long that the first unexpected success, Monroe,
>>has been around so long he's now eligible to be a free agent.
>
> They'll probably lose Monroe so they should look to draft a similar
> player. This year's draft is pretty deep so they should be able to
> select someone that fits their needs.

I could be wrong but I don't think they'll be in a position to get a
good lowpost scorer, unless they take a chance on a foreign player. But
they could get someone who at least fills Monroe's role as a rebounder,
and I don't think it would be hard to get someone who at least equaled
him as a defender.

On the other hand, they have to be thinking about the SF spot too, so
it's possible they'll see if Monroe can be replaced by some kind of
committee.

The fact that the Knicks dropped to #4 in the draft means they'll
probably not get Towns or Okafor, and they'll have an extra incentive to
go after Monroe. However, they're so dysfunctional and Dolan appears to
be going after the crown Donald Sterling vacated as worst NBA owner, so
it's very possible he won't take any amount of money to go there. That
probably tips the odds just a little bit in Detroit's favor of keeping
Monroe, but I still think he's gone. I don't really get what Van
Gundy's vision of this team is, and I doubt it's really clear to Monroe
either.

SkippyPB

May 21, 2015, 12:14:25 PM5/21/15
It would be great if Detroit resigned Monroe but I doubt that's going
to happen. I'm wondering what Van Gundy's vision is as well.

A couple of mock drafts I've seen have Detroit taking the Arizona
small forward Stanley Johnson who is a freshman 6'7" 245 lbs. Some
have them taking Texas freshman Myles Turner who is 6'11" 240 lbs.
He’s long, blocks shots and has three-point potential. He’s a
stretch-five prospect. He’s also a superior defender with excellent
timing, scouts say. I think I rather the team take a flyer on him
rather than Johnson.

Grey Matters

May 21, 2015, 2:22:45 PM5/21/15
SkippyPB <swie...@Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote

> A couple of mock drafts I've seen have Detroit taking the Arizona
> small forward Stanley Johnson who is a freshman 6'7" 245 lbs. Some
> have them taking Texas freshman Myles Turner who is 6'11" 240 lbs.
> He’s long, blocks shots and has three-point potential. He’s a
> stretch-five prospect. He’s also a superior defender with excellent
> timing, scouts say. I think I rather the team take a flyer on him
> rather than Johnson.

Johnson's real height turns out to be 6-5. Supposedly he's more defense
than NBA offense. While the Pistons could use some extra defense at the
small forward spot, I think they need the offense even more. Turner sounds
interesting. He has some health questions, although once you're at the #8
spot you're unlikely to find someone without any questions. He's supposed
to be solid defensively, and I have my doubts Drummond will ever be a
consistent defender inside.