Penn Football

AsiaSunset

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
At the risk of angering Michael Jordan once more, I’ll share what I heard about
this year’s football recruiting class.

First, on a somewhat related topic, - I’m told that freshman standout from two
years ago, Joey Alfotuilo, is back at school. He could possibly be the other
starting cornerback along with Joe Piela. Also, there are four transfers 1)
Matt Dawson (Navy) a QB/DB that they like a lot 2) Mike Germino - a 255 pound
DL who started at BU and was rumored to have been outstanding in Penn’s spring
sessions 3) Ed Mebs - QB (Miami) and 4) Brent Warner (North Carlina (QB and
also a very good punter). Also I heard that one of last year’s freshmen, the
Morris kid from Wash, whose brother was All Ivy at Penn, looked great in the
spring. He was dinged up last year (I think).

A fairly uninformative article appeared in the summer DP on the incoming class.
Here’s what I heard from other alums that amplifies that article.

1) There are at least three very good kids from Jersey. One is John Galan (DL)
from Bergen Catholic. His brother is currently at Penn. Another is Rob
Milanese, a WR from Ramapo, who was Chris Simm’s (Phil’s son) favorite target.
Milanese is very fast. Both Galan and Milanese were named to the Jersey All
Star team that beat the NY State All Star team last week. Galan played;
Milanese was injured. The third kid is Brian Drake (LB) who is somewhat small
at 6 ft ,205 lbs, but was one of the top rated LBs in NJ.

2) There are two good running backs. One is from PA named Matt Thomas. The
other is from Calif named Steve Faulk (Marshall’s cousin I’m told). They are
both small backs (175 lbs). There is a third big back from Pittsburg named
Kris Ryan who weighs 235, but I don’t know much about him.

3) There is one offensive lineman they are very high on. His name is John
Zepeda (from Calif) who is listed at 6’2”, 275 lbs. There is another kid from
Calif (WR Colin Smith) who the DP mentioned in their article that had D1
scholarship offers from Air Force and others. He has good size (6’2”, 185 lbs).

4) In addition to Galan, there are a number of DLs, including two kids they
like from Maryland (Loui Georgalas and Kareem Licorish ) and a kid from
Chaminade from Long Island (Moroney) who I think played for NY in that All Star
game I referenced. There don’t appear to be any monsters in the group. All are
250 lbs or less.

5) Lastly there a a few very good DBs. A couple of names: Jared Corby from
Knoxville Tenn and Ryan Sigafoos from Pittsburgh.

Again, all this is second hand. If any of it is inaccurate, I apologize in
advance. If others have better info, please feel free to post.

Hakim

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
AsiaSunset (asias...@aol.com) wrote:
: At the risk of angering Michael Jordan once more, I’ll share what I heard about

: this year’s football recruiting class.

Can't we forget that... I told you guys it was a joke...
and Frank is back in L.A. rehabing and working with a personal trainer...
Hopefully he will be 100% when Europe rolls around
mj

--

"Fear is an illusion"
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something.

..........If we are truly the products of our environment,
then do not fear me, fear the environment from which I came.....

AsiaSunset

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
"Can't we forget that... I told you guys it was a joke...
and Frank is back in L.A. rehabing and working with a personal trainer...
Hopefully he will be 100% when Europe rolls around
mj"

Michael - As was mine. Good luck on your European tour. Can you post some
details of your trip on the board?

Hakim

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
: Michael - As was mine. Good luck on your European tour. Can you post some

: details of your trip on the board?

No problem, I'll let you know how it went...
Even though you guys know we read the nes group, don't stop criticizing,
we find it helpful and amusing. (Some people actually make some good points)
MJ