Six-Year Minor League Free Agents

nick gee

Oct 24, 2001, 5:10:09 PM10/24/01
Here's a list of this years "six-year" minor league free agents. And as
always the list contains it's usual assortment of familiar faces. But, at
a quick glance, I can't see too many players who might help the Giants
at the major league level.

Anyone else spot any potential help ?.

ANAHEIM (16)
Pitchers: Juan Alvarez, Jesse Andujar, Jason Beverlin, Will Brunson,
Radhames Dykhoff, Steve Mintz, William Morris, Shad Williams.
Catcher: Ryan Zeber.
Infielders: Bien Encarnacion, Ryan Lehr, Chris Pritchett, Junior Zamora.
Outfielders: Scott Morgan, J.R. Mounts, Juan Tolentino.

ARIZONA (17)
Pitchers: Dan Carlson, Joe Crawford, Carlos Gonzalez, Jonathan Johnson, Sean
Lawrence, Stephen Randolph, Todd Revenig, Kennie Steenstra.
Infielders: Ryan Jones, Chris Lemonis, Sean McNally, Ricardo Montas, Chris
Petersen, Juan Sosa, Desi Wilson.
Outfielders: Derrick Gibson, Mike Glendenning.

ATLANTA (20)
Pitchers: Brad Clontz, Chris Cumberland, Chris Hammond, Alex Lontayo, Delvis
Pacheco, Jake Robbins, Aaron Small, Dave Stevens, Ismael Villegas.
Catchers: Charlie Greene, Jeff Horn.
Infielders: Howard Battle, Willis Otanez, Chan Perry, Mike Robertson, Nate
Tebbs.
Outfielders: Michael Carter, Damon Hollins, Roberto Rivera, Pedro Swann.

BALTIMORE (18)
Pitchers: Jose Advincola, Derek Brown, Scott Eibey, Steve Falteisek, Derek
Forbes, Anthony Shumaker.
Catchers: Mike Lopez-Cao, Sean Mulligan.
Infielders: Carlos Casimiro, Steve Goodell, Eddy Martinez, Wes Rachels,
Bolivar Recio, Brian Rust.
Outfielders: Almonzo Banks, Stoney Briggs, Wynter Phoenix, Isaias Rincon.

BOSTON (19)
Pitchers: Rafael Betancourt, Derrin Ebert, Jim Farrell, Ken Hill, Mike
Kusiewicz, Sang Hoon Lee, Trever Miller, Jesus Pena, Rafael Roque, Bryan
Ward.
Catchers: Angelo Encarnacion, Kelly Ramos, George Williams.
Infielders: James Lofton, Quilvio Veras.
Outfielders: Yamil Benitez, Virgil Chevalier, Edgard Clemente, Rontrez
Johnson.

CHICAGO-AL (19)
Pitchers: Travis Baptist, Kirk Bullinger, Archie Corbin, Denny McDaniel,
Geronimo Mendoza, Mike Porzio, Steve Schrenk, Jason Secoda, Steve Sinclair,
Eric Weaver.
Catcher: Mark Dalesandro.
Infielders: Amaury Garcia, Jason Hardtke, Aaron Miles, Liu Rodriguez, Toby
Rumfield, Chris Saunders.
Outfielders: Jeff Barry, Rick Prieto.

CHICAGO-NL (14)
Pitchers: Ben Ford, Steve Gagliano, Aaron Kramer, David Moraga, Matt Snyder,
Rob Stanifer, Dave Wainhouse.
Catcher: Pee Wee Lopez.
Infielders: Chris Haas, Randy Meadows, Rick Short, Chris Snopek.
Outfielders: Jason Bass, Todd Dunwoody.

CINCINNATI (32)
Pitchers: Doug Dent, Leo Estrella, Jared Fernandez, Scott Forster, Mike
Grace, Larry Luebbers, James Manias, Javier Martinez, Brian McNichol, Frank
Rodriguez, Johnny Ruffin, Scott Service, Matt Skrmetta.
Catchers: Samuel Abreu, Guillermo Garcia, Jerrey Thurston, Vic Valencia.
Infielders: Jose Amado, Tommy Davis, Marty Malloy, Mike Metcalfe, Bobby
Morris, Pete Rose, Bill Selby, Chris Sexton.
Outfielders: Kelly Baez, Damon Buford, Andrew Burress, Steve Gibralter,
Chris Sheff, Scott Sollmann, Brad Tyler.

CLEVELAND (20)
Pitchers: David Darwin, Marc Deschenes, David Hooten, Nerio Rodriugez, Jeff
Sexton, Dan Smith, Julien Tucker, Dario Veras, Jamie Walker, Mark Watson,
Bryan Wolff.
Catchers: Alex Andreopoulos, Chris Coste.
Infielders: Michael Edwards, Kevin Sefcik.
Outfielders: Mark Budzinski, Chad Green, Jesus Hernandez, Scott Krause, Chad
Whitaker.

COLORADO (28)
Pitchers: Heath Bost, Joe Davenport, Scott Dewitt, Craig Dingman, Melido
Dotel, Jamie Emiliano, Horacio Estrada, Andy Larkin, Chandler Martin, Scott
Randall, John Rosengren, Steve Shoemaker.
Catchers: Darron Cox, Walt McKeel, Willie Morales.
Infielders: Mike Bell, Joe Espada, Jose Flores, Butch Huskey, John Lindsey,
J.R. Phillips, Jeff Powers.
Outfielders: Bubba Carpenter, Kevin Gibbs, Luis Landaeta, Mike Murphy, Mike
Peeples, Scott Seal.

DETROIT (17)
Pitchers: Willie Blair, Rich DeLucia, Bryce Florie, Tommy Phelps, Kevin
Tolar.
Catcher: Juan Santos.
Infielders: Trace Coquillette, Alejandro Freire, Giomar Guevara, Ryan
Jackson, Brian McClure, Carlos Mendez, Pedro Santana.
Outfielders: Dusty Allen, Jermaine Allensworth, Rich Becker, Kurt Bierek.

FLORIDA (19)
Pitchers: Pat Ahearne, Mike Drumright, Brian Edmondson, Hector Henriquez,
Tim McClaskey, Gabe Molina, Eddy Reyes, Joe Roa, Aaron Scheffer.
Catchers: B.J. Waszgis, Dusty Wathan.
Infielders: Chris Clapinski, Kevin Grijak, David Lamb, Paco Martin.
Outfielders: Brian Banks, Ben Candelaria, Eric Gillespie, Luke Wilcox.

HOUSTON (17)
Pitchers: Derek Clifton, Travis Driskill, David Evans, Mike Ribaudo, Brian
Shouse, Travis Smith.
Catcher: Frank Charles.
Infielders: Kevin Burns, Jim Chamblee, Keith Luuloa, Cesar Morillo.
Outfielders: Eric Cole, Scott Lydy, Lyle Mouton, Scott Pose, Omar Ramirez,
Barry Wesson.

KANSAS CITY (15)
Pitchers: Jeff D'Amico, Chris Fussell, Dan Murray, Jason Rakers.
Catcher: Hector Ortiz.
Infielders: Brian Benefield, Shawn Gallagher, Jed Hansen, Luis Ordaz, Nick
Ortiz, Alejandro Prieto.
Outfielders: Aaron Guiel, Pat Hallmark, Jon Nunnally, Pat Watkins.

LOS ANGELES (24)
Pitchers: Bobby Bevel, Jim Bruske, John DeSilva, Jim Dougherty, Pedro
Feliciano, Lindsay Gulin, Mark Kiefer, Eddie Priest, Maximo Regalado,
Fernando Rijo, Brian Stephenson, Matt Whisenant.
Catchers: John Pachot, Angel Pena, Mel Rosario.
Infielders: Keith Johnson, Pete Paciorek, Dave Post, Tony Schifano, Andy
Stankiewicz.
Outfielders: Brent Cookson, Darrell Dent, Tony Mota, Chris Prieto.

MILWAUKEE (24)
Pitchers: Mark Brownson, Carlos Chantres, Rocky Coppinger, Tim Davis, Tom
Fordham, Gus Gandarillas, Tim Harikkala, Brandon Kolb, Jim Lynch, Aaron
Myers, Elvis Polanco, Dan Serafini, John Snyder, Jay Tessmer, Matt Williams.
Catchers: Robinson Cancel, Jesse Levis.
Infielders: Mike Coolbaugh, Wellington Sanchez.
Outfielders: Micah Franklin, David Gibralter, Chris Jones, Brian Lesher,
Chip Sell.

MINNESOTA (14)
Pitchers: Doug Bochtler, Jamie Brewington, Tom Howard, Bryan Malko, Lee
Marshall, Willie Martinez, Jeromy Palki, Kenny Pumphrey, Jason Simontacchi,
Brent Stentz.
Catcher: Danny Ardoin.
Infielders: Edwin Diaz, Mike Moriarty, Larry Sutton.

MONTREAL (12)
Pitchers: Tommy Darrell, Robert Marquez, Scott Mitchell, Bobby Munoz,
Anthony Telford.
Catchers: Jimmy Gonzalez, Angel Martinez.
Infielder: Javier Fuentes.
Outfielders: John Cotton, Kenny James, Ryan Thompson, Jeremy Ware.

NEW YORK-AL (37)
Pitchers: Tim Adkins, Scott Aldred, Carlos Almanzar, Brian Buchanan, Hermes
Coscorrosa, Pat Flury, Eric Gunderson, Domingo Jean, Justin Jensen, Barry
Johnson, Jerry Lail, Brian Looney, Kevin Lovingier, Chad Ogea, Alex Pacheco,
Geraldo Padua, Chris Peters, Julio Rangel, Brandon Reed, Tim Scott, Josh
Stevens, Jim Stoops, Froilan Teran, Brian Williams.
Catchers: Scott Emmons, Pascual Matos, Julio Mosquera, Chris Snusz.
Infielders: Kary Bridges, Shane Cronin, Carlos Garcia, Donny Leon, Victor
Rodriguez.
Outfielders: Michael Coleman, Josh Loggins, Donzell McDonald, Paul
Ottavinia.

NEW YORK-NL (26)
Pitchers: Manny Barrios, Rich Croushore, Brett Herbison, Pedro Hernandez,
Brett Hinchliffe, Bobby Jones, Kyle Kessel, Ivan Montane, Jose Romero, Pete
Walker.
Catchers: Mike Figga, Ramon Granado, Alan Probst, Sammy Rodriguez.
Infielders: Kevin Baez, Matt Franco, Brett Illig, Mark Johnson, Gabby
Martinez, Ryan Miller, Jeremy Saylor, Mike Terhune, Jorge Velandia.
Outfielders: Scott Hunter, Juan LeBron, Tony Tarasco.

OAKLAND (13)
Pitchers: Frank Lankford, Dave Maurer, Scott Navarro, Wayne Nix, Steve
Ontiveros, Jon Ratliff, Bill Snyder.
Catchers: Jose de la Cruz, Rafael Pujols, Mandy Romero.
Infielder: Christian Reyes.
Outfielders: Andy Abad, Jesus Basabe.

PHILADELPHIA (25)
Pitchers: Rigo Beltran, Jason Boyd, Jason Brester, Blas Cedeno, Jason
Kershner, Felipe Lira, Andrew Lorraine, Eddie Oropesa, Clint Sodowsky.
Catchers: Darren Bush, Creighton Gubanich, Jeff Reed.
Infielders: P.J. Forbes, Derrick Lankford, Mickey Lopez, David Newhan, Kevin
Orie, J.P. Roberge, Gene Schall, Steve Sisco, Key Voshell.
Outfielders: Ramon Gomez, Manny Gonzalez, Aaron Royster, Kenny Woods.

PITTSBURGH (27)
Pitchers: Carlos Alvarado, Tavo Alvarez, Manuel Bernal, Mike Diorio, Randy
Galvez, Mike Garcia, Yovanny Lara, Eric Moody, Brian O'Connor, Dave Pavlas,
Alex Pena, Larry Wimberly.
Catcher: Yamid Haad.
Infielders: Andy Barkett, Jeff Berblinger, Mendy Lopez, Bry Nelson, Richard
Paz, Reed Secrist, John Wehner, Jason Wood.
Outfielders: Jayson Bass, Darren Burton, Alex Hernandez, Shane Monahan, Ryan
Radmanovich, Mike Stoner.

ST. LOUIS (18)
Pitchers: Jim Bullinger, David Daniels, Rick Heiserman, Fred Rath, Jerry
Spradlin, Dave Zancanaro.
Catcher: Mike Stefanski.
Infielders: Ryan Balfe, Brant Brown, Hanley Frias, Luis Garcia, Lou Lucca,
Kevin Polcovich.
Outfielders: Miguel Diaz, Scarborough Green, Damon Mashore, Juan Munoz,
Darrell Whitmore.

SAN DIEGO (17)
Pitchers: Bryan Corey, Bo Donaldson, Gabe Gonzalez, Rodrigo Lopez, David
Lundquist, Matt Miller, Jimmy Osting, Jason Stevenson.
Catcher: Steve Soliz.
Infielders: Cleatus Davidson, Tony DeRosso, Jim Leyritz, Julius Matos,
Santiago Perez, Kevin Witt.
Outfielders: Emil Brown, Ernie Young.

SAN FRANCISCO (10)
Pitchers: Jamie Arnold, Manny Bermudez, Derek Hasselhoff, Brian Knoll, Todd
Rizzo, Julio Santana.
Infielder: Juan Melo.
Outfielders: Alex Fajardo, Jake Messner, Josh Tyler.

SEATTLE (20)
Pitchers: Ken Cloude, Matt Jarvis, Randy Myers, Juan Ramos, Kenny Rayborn,
Jordan Zimmerman.
Catchers: Juan Alcala, Blake Barthol, John Castellano, Brad King.
Infielders: Chad Akers, Manny Alexander, Todd Betts, John Curl, Joe Dusan,
Luis Figueroa, Emmanuel Santana, Juan Thomas.
Outfielders: Chad Alexander, Juan Silvestre.

TAMPA BAY (14)
Pitchers: Brad Cornett, Kevin Henthorne, Santos Hernandez, Matt Montgomery,
Denis Pujals, Juan Rosario, Brian Rose.
Catcher: Yohanny Valera.
Infielders: Mike Caruso, Ron Wright.
Outfielders: Luis Garcia, Chris Hatcher, Norm Hutchins, Greg Martinez.

TEXAS (25)
Pitchers: Jayson Durocher, Ryan Glynn, Mike Johnson, Mike Judd, Jose
Martinez, Tony Mounce, Peter Munro, J.J. Pearsall, Orlando Perez, J.D.
Smart, Brandon Villafuerte.
Catchers: Mike Hubbard, Marcus Jensen, Dave Steed, Luis Taveras.
Infielders: Salvador Beltre, Jason Camilli, Chris Demetral, Ryan Dorsey,
Matt Halloran, Mitch Simons.
Outfielders: Chris Ashby, Chuck Koone, Amaurys Nina, Marc Sagmoen.

TORONTO (8)
Pitchers: Jason Dickson, John Dillinger.
Catcher: Izzy Molina.
Infielders: Jaime Goudie, Aaron Holbert, Cole Liniak.
Outfielders: Tony Peters, Andy Thompson.

Gregg Pearlman

Oct 24, 2001, 5:37:55 PM10/24/01
nick gee wrote:

> Here's a list of this years "six-year" minor league free agents. And as
> always the list contains it's usual assortment of familiar faces. But, at
> a quick glance, I can't see too many players who might help the Giants
> at the major league level.
>
> Anyone else spot any potential help ?.

Hey, how about *these* guys?

Steve Mintz
Dan Carlson
Desi Wilson
Scott Service
J.R. Phillips
Rich DeLucia
Chris Jones
Jamie Brewington
Eric Gunderson
Tim Scott
Jeff Reed
Jerry Spradlin
Juan Melo
Marcus Jensen

Former Giants, to a man. Imagine if these guys were a major league team.
Who'd you pick for the All-Star Game?

Gregg

Dr. Wayne Simon

Oct 24, 2001, 8:50:52 PM10/24/01

"nick gee" <nic...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Here's a list of this years "six-year" minor league free agents. And as
> always the list contains it's usual assortment of familiar faces. But, at
> a quick glance, I can't see too many players who might help the Giants
> at the major league level.
>
> Anyone else spot any potential help ?.
>
> ANAHEIM (16)
> Pitchers: Juan Alvarez, Jesse Andujar, Jason Beverlin, Will Brunson,
> Radhames Dykhoff, Steve Mintz, William Morris, Shad Williams.
> Catcher: Ryan Zeber.
> Infielders: Bien Encarnacion, Ryan Lehr, Chris Pritchett, Junior Zamora.
> Outfielders: Scott Morgan, J.R. Mounts, Juan Tolentino.
> (WILLIAM MORRIS HAS HIS OWN AGENCY)

> ARIZONA (17)
> Pitchers: Dan Carlson, Joe Crawford, Carlos Gonzalez, Jonathan Johnson,
Sean
> Lawrence, Stephen Randolph, Todd Revenig, Kennie Steenstra.
> Infielders: Ryan Jones, Chris Lemonis, Sean McNally, Ricardo Montas, Chris
> Petersen, Juan Sosa, Desi Wilson.
> Outfielders: Derrick Gibson, Mike Glendenning.
> ARE THESE THE DAN CARLSON, DESI WILSON AND MIKE GLENDENNING THAT USED TO
BE IN THE GIANTS SYSTEM?

> ATLANTA (20)
> Pitchers: Brad Clontz, Chris Cumberland, Chris Hammond, Alex Lontayo,
Delvis
> Pacheco, Jake Robbins, Aaron Small, Dave Stevens, Ismael Villegas.
> Catchers: Charlie Greene, Jeff Horn.
> Infielders: Howard Battle, Willis Otanez, Chan Perry, Mike Robertson, Nate
> Tebbs.
> Outfielders: Michael Carter, Damon Hollins, Roberto Rivera, Pedro Swann.
> IS THIS THE CHRIS HAMMOND OF FORMER MAJOR LEAGUE STATUS?

> BALTIMORE (18)
> Pitchers: Jose Advincola, Derek Brown, Scott Eibey, Steve Falteisek, Derek
> Forbes, Anthony Shumaker.
> Catchers: Mike Lopez-Cao, Sean Mulligan.
> Infielders: Carlos Casimiro, Steve Goodell, Eddy Martinez, Wes Rachels,
> Bolivar Recio, Brian Rust.
> Outfielders: Almonzo Banks, Stoney Briggs, Wynter Phoenix, Isaias Rincon.
>
> BOSTON (19)
> Pitchers: Rafael Betancourt, Derrin Ebert, Jim Farrell, Ken Hill, Mike
> Kusiewicz, Sang Hoon Lee, Trever Miller, Jesus Pena, Rafael Roque, Bryan
> Ward.
> Catchers: Angelo Encarnacion, Kelly Ramos, George Williams.
> Infielders: James Lofton, Quilvio Veras.
> Outfielders: Yamil Benitez, Virgil Chevalier, Edgard Clemente, Rontrez
> Johnson.
> (THIS MUST BE A DIFFERENT QUILVIO VERAS, AND I THOUGHT THAT EDGARD
CLEMENTE WAS A MAJOR LEAGUER?

> CHICAGO-AL (19)
> Pitchers: Travis Baptist, Kirk Bullinger, Archie Corbin, Denny McDaniel,
> Geronimo Mendoza, Mike Porzio, Steve Schrenk, Jason Secoda, Steve
Sinclair,
> Eric Weaver.
> Catcher: Mark Dalesandro.
> Infielders: Amaury Garcia, Jason Hardtke, Aaron Miles, Liu Rodriguez, Toby
> Rumfield, Chris Saunders.
> Outfielders: Jeff Barry, Rick Prieto.
>
> CHICAGO-NL (14)
> Pitchers: Ben Ford, Steve Gagliano, Aaron Kramer, David Moraga, Matt
Snyder,
> Rob Stanifer, Dave Wainhouse.
> Catcher: Pee Wee Lopez.
> Infielders: Chris Haas, Randy Meadows, Rick Short, Chris Snopek.
> Outfielders: Jason Bass, Todd Dunwoody.
> (TODD DUNWOODY WAS THOUGHT TO HAVE TALENT BUT IT NEVER SEEMED TO HAVE COME
TO FRUITION)

> CINCINNATI (32)
> Pitchers: Doug Dent, Leo Estrella, Jared Fernandez, Scott Forster, Mike
> Grace, Larry Luebbers, James Manias, Javier Martinez, Brian McNichol,
Frank
> Rodriguez, Johnny Ruffin, Scott Service, Matt Skrmetta.
> Catchers: Samuel Abreu, Guillermo Garcia, Jerrey Thurston, Vic Valencia.
> Infielders: Jose Amado, Tommy Davis, Marty Malloy, Mike Metcalfe, Bobby
> Morris, Pete Rose, Bill Selby, Chris Sexton.
> Outfielders: Kelly Baez, Damon Buford, Andrew Burress, Steve Gibralter,
> Chris Sheff, Scott Sollmann, Brad Tyler.
> WILL THE REAL SCOTT SERVICE PLEASE STAND UP, ALSO I GUESS EX-MAJOR
LEAGUERS SHOULD NOT NAME THEIR KIDS DIRECTLY AFTER THEM ALA BOBBY BONDS JR.
PETE ROSE JR. JUST NAME YOUR KIDS BARRY, OF COURSE KEN GRIFFEY WOULD BE THE
EXCEPTION.

> CLEVELAND (20)
> Pitchers: David Darwin, Marc Deschenes, David Hooten, Nerio Rodriugez,
Jeff
> Sexton, Dan Smith, Julien Tucker, Dario Veras, Jamie Walker, Mark Watson,
> Bryan Wolff.
> Catchers: Alex Andreopoulos, Chris Coste.
> Infielders: Michael Edwards, Kevin Sefcik.
> Outfielders: Mark Budzinski, Chad Green, Jesus Hernandez, Scott Krause,
Chad
> Whitaker.
>
> COLORADO (28)
> Pitchers: Heath Bost, Joe Davenport, Scott Dewitt, Craig Dingman, Melido
> Dotel, Jamie Emiliano, Horacio Estrada, Andy Larkin, Chandler Martin,
Scott
> Randall, John Rosengren, Steve Shoemaker.
> Catchers: Darron Cox, Walt McKeel, Willie Morales.
> Infielders: Mike Bell, Joe Espada, Jose Flores, Butch Huskey, John
Lindsey,
> J.R. Phillips, Jeff Powers.
> Outfielders: Bubba Carpenter, Kevin Gibbs, Luis Landaeta, Mike Murphy,
Mike
> Peeples, Scott Seal.
> (WASN'T ANDY LARKIN AT ONE TIME HIGHLY TOUTED? DON'T TELL ME JOE DAVENPORT
IS RELATED TO JIM?

> DETROIT (17)
> Pitchers: Willie Blair, Rich DeLucia, Bryce Florie, Tommy Phelps, Kevin
> Tolar.
> Catcher: Juan Santos.
> Infielders: Trace Coquillette, Alejandro Freire, Giomar Guevara, Ryan
> Jackson, Brian McClure, Carlos Mendez, Pedro Santana.
> Outfielders: Dusty Allen, Jermaine Allensworth, Rich Becker, Kurt Bierek.
> (WASN'T WILLIE BLAIR HIGHLY TOUTED AT ONE TIME?)

> FLORIDA (19)
> Pitchers: Pat Ahearne, Mike Drumright, Brian Edmondson, Hector Henriquez,
> Tim McClaskey, Gabe Molina, Eddy Reyes, Joe Roa, Aaron Scheffer.
> Catchers: B.J. Waszgis, Dusty Wathan.
> Infielders: Chris Clapinski, Kevin Grijak, David Lamb, Paco Martin.
> Outfielders: Brian Banks, Ben Candelaria, Eric Gillespie, Luke Wilcox.
> (JOE ROA SURFACES AGAIN, CHRIS CLAPINSKI IS A DECENT UTILITY PLAYER KIND
OF LIKE A POOR MANS CRAIG COUNSELL)

> HOUSTON (17)
> Pitchers: Derek Clifton, Travis Driskill, David Evans, Mike Ribaudo, Brian
> Shouse, Travis Smith.
> Catcher: Frank Charles.
> Infielders: Kevin Burns, Jim Chamblee, Keith Luuloa, Cesar Morillo.
> Outfielders: Eric Cole, Scott Lydy, Lyle Mouton, Scott Pose, Omar Ramirez,
> Barry Wesson.
> (SCOTT POSE HAS DABLED IN AND OUT OF MAJOR LEAGUE LINEUPS, HOW OLD IS THE
GUY BY NOW ANYWAY?

> KANSAS CITY (15)
> Pitchers: Jeff D'Amico, Chris Fussell, Dan Murray, Jason Rakers.
> Catcher: Hector Ortiz.
> Infielders: Brian Benefield, Shawn Gallagher, Jed Hansen, Luis Ordaz, Nick
> Ortiz, Alejandro Prieto.
> Outfielders: Aaron Guiel, Pat Hallmark, Jon Nunnally, Pat Watkins.
> IS JEFF D'AMICO ONE OF THE MAJOR LEAGUE D'AMICO'S BROTHER?

> LOS ANGELES (24)
> Pitchers: Bobby Bevel, Jim Bruske, John DeSilva, Jim Dougherty, Pedro
> Feliciano, Lindsay Gulin, Mark Kiefer, Eddie Priest, Maximo Regalado,
> Fernando Rijo, Brian Stephenson, Matt Whisenant.
> Catchers: John Pachot, Angel Pena, Mel Rosario.
> Infielders: Keith Johnson, Pete Paciorek, Dave Post, Tony Schifano, Andy
> Stankiewicz.
> Outfielders: Brent Cookson, Darrell Dent, Tony Mota, Chris Prieto.
> (THE BUMS ARE STILL HOLDING ON TO BRENT COOKSON, JIM BRUSKE THE GIANT
KILLER, AND MATT WHISENANT.)

> MILWAUKEE (24)
> Pitchers: Mark Brownson, Carlos Chantres, Rocky Coppinger, Tim Davis, Tom
> Fordham, Gus Gandarillas, Tim Harikkala, Brandon Kolb, Jim Lynch, Aaron
> Myers, Elvis Polanco, Dan Serafini, John Snyder, Jay Tessmer, Matt
Williams.
> Catchers: Robinson Cancel, Jesse Levis.
> Infielders: Mike Coolbaugh, Wellington Sanchez.
> Outfielders: Micah Franklin, David Gibralter, Chris Jones, Brian Lesher,
> Chip Sell.
> (WHICH CHRIS JONES IS THIS, AND ROCKYCOPPINGER) I THINK MILWAUKEE WANTS TO
RAID MONTREALS AND FLORIDA'S MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEM)

> MINNESOTA (14)
> Pitchers: Doug Bochtler, Jamie Brewington, Tom Howard, Bryan Malko, Lee
> Marshall, Willie Martinez, Jeromy Palki, Kenny Pumphrey, Jason
Simontacchi,
> Brent Stentz.
> Catcher: Danny Ardoin.
> Infielders: Edwin Diaz, Mike Moriarty, Larry Sutton.
> ( I WAS AT JAMIE BREWINGTON'S MAJOR LEAGUE DEBUT, I THINK IT WAS IN 1993).

> MONTREAL (12)
> Pitchers: Tommy Darrell, Robert Marquez, Scott Mitchell, Bobby Munoz,
> Anthony Telford.
> Catchers: Jimmy Gonzalez, Angel Martinez.
> Infielder: Javier Fuentes.
> Outfielders: John Cotton, Kenny James, Ryan Thompson, Jeremy Ware.
> (I THOUGHT BOBBY MUNOZ WAS ONCE A RANKED MIDDLEWEIGHT)

> NEW YORK-AL (37)
> Pitchers: Tim Adkins, Scott Aldred, Carlos Almanzar, Brian Buchanan,
Hermes
> Coscorrosa, Pat Flury, Eric Gunderson, Domingo Jean, Justin Jensen, Barry
> Johnson, Jerry Lail, Brian Looney, Kevin Lovingier, Chad Ogea, Alex
Pacheco,
> Geraldo Padua, Chris Peters, Julio Rangel, Brandon Reed, Tim Scott, Josh
> Stevens, Jim Stoops, Froilan Teran, Brian Williams.
> Catchers: Scott Emmons, Pascual Matos, Julio Mosquera, Chris Snusz.
> Infielders: Kary Bridges, Shane Cronin, Carlos Garcia, Donny Leon, Victor
> Rodriguez.
> Outfielders: Michael Coleman, Josh Loggins, Donzell McDonald, Paul
> Ottavinia.
> (REMEMBER WHEN ERIC GUNDERSON WAS HIGHLY TOUTED DOUBLE A GUY IN THE GIANTS
ORGANIZATION?) SOME OF THESE YANKEE GUYS WOULD SURELY COME THRU IN OCTOBER
IN ANY LEAGUE.

> NEW YORK-NL (26)
> Pitchers: Manny Barrios, Rich Croushore, Brett Herbison, Pedro Hernandez,
> Brett Hinchliffe, Bobby Jones, Kyle Kessel, Ivan Montane, Jose Romero,
Pete
> Walker.
> Catchers: Mike Figga, Ramon Granado, Alan Probst, Sammy Rodriguez.
> Infielders: Kevin Baez, Matt Franco, Brett Illig, Mark Johnson, Gabby
> Martinez, Ryan Miller, Jeremy Saylor, Mike Terhune, Jorge Velandia.
> Outfielders: Scott Hunter, Juan LeBron, Tony Tarasco.
> (THE WRONG BOBBY JONES, IS TONY TARASCO BETTER THAN MARVIN BENARD?)

> OAKLAND (13)
> Pitchers: Frank Lankford, Dave Maurer, Scott Navarro, Wayne Nix, Steve
> Ontiveros, Jon Ratliff, Bill Snyder.
> Catchers: Jose de la Cruz, Rafael Pujols, Mandy Romero.
> Infielder: Christian Reyes.
> Outfielders: Andy Abad, Jesus Basabe.
> (THERE MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS ARE BETTER THAN WHAT SOME MAJOR LEAGUE CLUBS
HAVE)

> PHILADELPHIA (25)
> Pitchers: Rigo Beltran, Jason Boyd, Jason Brester, Blas Cedeno, Jason
> Kershner, Felipe Lira, Andrew Lorraine, Eddie Oropesa, Clint Sodowsky.
> Catchers: Darren Bush, Creighton Gubanich, Jeff Reed.
> Infielders: P.J. Forbes, Derrick Lankford, Mickey Lopez, David Newhan,
Kevin
> Orie, J.P. Roberge, Gene Schall, Steve Sisco, Key Voshell.
> Outfielders: Ramon Gomez, Manny Gonzalez, Aaron Royster, Kenny Woods.
> (WHAT ABOUT FELIPE LIRA AND EDDIE OROPESA)?

> PITTSBURGH (27)
> Pitchers: Carlos Alvarado, Tavo Alvarez, Manuel Bernal, Mike Diorio, Randy
> Galvez, Mike Garcia, Yovanny Lara, Eric Moody, Brian O'Connor, Dave
Pavlas,
> Alex Pena, Larry Wimberly.
> Catcher: Yamid Haad.
> Infielders: Andy Barkett, Jeff Berblinger, Mendy Lopez, Bry Nelson,
Richard
> Paz, Reed Secrist, John Wehner, Jason Wood.
> Outfielders: Jayson Bass, Darren Burton, Alex Hernandez, Shane Monahan,
Ryan
> Radmanovich, Mike Stoner.
> (JOHN WEHNER HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE THE GARDEN OF EDEN WAS THE ONLY BALL
PARK IN TOWN)

> ST. LOUIS (18)
> Pitchers: Jim Bullinger, David Daniels, Rick Heiserman, Fred Rath, Jerry
> Spradlin, Dave Zancanaro.
> Catcher: Mike Stefanski.
> Infielders: Ryan Balfe, Brant Brown, Hanley Frias, Luis Garcia, Lou Lucca,
> Kevin Polcovich.
> Outfielders: Miguel Diaz, Scarborough Green, Damon Mashore, Juan Munoz,
> Darrell Whitmore.
> (JERRY SPRADLIN, RELIGIOUS RIGHT WHO?)

> SAN DIEGO (17)
> Pitchers: Bryan Corey, Bo Donaldson, Gabe Gonzalez, Rodrigo Lopez, David
> Lundquist, Matt Miller, Jimmy Osting, Jason Stevenson.
> Catcher: Steve Soliz.
> Infielders: Cleatus Davidson, Tony DeRosso, Jim Leyritz, Julius Matos,
> Santiago Perez, Kevin Witt.
> Outfielders: Emil Brown, Ernie Young.
> (JIM LEYRITZ, AM I SEEING THINGS OR WHAT?)

> SAN FRANCISCO (10)
> Pitchers: Jamie Arnold, Manny Bermudez, Derek Hasselhoff, Brian Knoll,
Todd
> Rizzo, Julio Santana.
> Infielder: Juan Melo.
> Outfielders: Alex Fajardo, Jake Messner, Josh Tyler.
> (HOW OLD IS JUAN MELO, HE MAY DESERVE A LOOK?)

> SEATTLE (20)
> Pitchers: Ken Cloude, Matt Jarvis, Randy Myers, Juan Ramos, Kenny Rayborn,
> Jordan Zimmerman.
> Catchers: Juan Alcala, Blake Barthol, John Castellano, Brad King.
> Infielders: Chad Akers, Manny Alexander, Todd Betts, John Curl, Joe Dusan,
> Luis Figueroa, Emmanuel Santana, Juan Thomas.
> Outfielders: Chad Alexander, Juan Silvestre.
> (SURPRISED NOT TO SEE SOLOMAN TORRES?)

> TAMPA BAY (14)
> Pitchers: Brad Cornett, Kevin Henthorne, Santos Hernandez, Matt
Montgomery,
> Denis Pujals, Juan Rosario, Brian Rose.
> Catcher: Yohanny Valera.
> Infielders: Mike Caruso, Ron Wright.
> Outfielders: Luis Garcia, Chris Hatcher, Norm Hutchins, Greg Martinez.
> (MIKE CARUSO MIGHT BE WORTH LOOKING AT, HE IS STILL YOUNG AND CAN HIT, BUT
CAN HE FIELD? HE WAS ONCE A HIGHLY TOUTED GIANTS PROSPECT AND HE HAS PROVEN
THAT HE CAN HIT IN THE MAJORS)

> TEXAS (25)
> Pitchers: Jayson Durocher, Ryan Glynn, Mike Johnson, Mike Judd, Jose
> Martinez, Tony Mounce, Peter Munro, J.J. Pearsall, Orlando Perez, J.D.
> Smart, Brandon Villafuerte.
> Catchers: Mike Hubbard, Marcus Jensen, Dave Steed, Luis Taveras.
> Infielders: Salvador Beltre, Jason Camilli, Chris Demetral, Ryan Dorsey,
> Matt Halloran, Mitch Simons.
> Outfielders: Chris Ashby, Chuck Koone, Amaurys Nina, Marc Sagmoen.
> (MARCUS JENSEN STILL HAS A WARM SPOT IN GIANTS FANS HEARTS)

> TORONTO (8)
> Pitchers: Jason Dickson, John Dillinger.
> Catcher: Izzy Molina.
> Infielders: Jaime Goudie, Aaron Holbert, Cole Liniak.
> Outfielders: Tony Peters, Andy Thompson.
>
> (IZZY MOLINA) GREAT NAME FOR A CATCHER, BUT NOT COMPARED TO THE NAMES ON
THE GIANTS ROSTER.

Arvin Hsu

Oct 24, 2001, 6:32:46 PM10/24/01
In article <cAGB7.11782$cj7.6...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>,

Lee was supposed to have a great arm... from Korea, iirc.
If Jesus Pena is the Juan Pena who tore up AA after coming back
from an injury this year, he's definitely worth more than a look.

>> NEW YORK-AL (37)
>> Pitchers: Tim Adkins, Scott Aldred, Carlos Almanzar, Brian Buchanan,
>Hermes
>> Coscorrosa, Pat Flury, Eric Gunderson, Domingo Jean, Justin Jensen, Barry
>> Johnson, Jerry Lail, Brian Looney, Kevin Lovingier, Chad Ogea, Alex
>Pacheco,
>> Geraldo Padua, Chris Peters, Julio Rangel, Brandon Reed, Tim Scott, Josh
>> Stevens, Jim Stoops, Froilan Teran, Brian Williams.
>> Catchers: Scott Emmons, Pascual Matos, Julio Mosquera, Chris Snusz.
>> Infielders: Kary Bridges, Shane Cronin, Carlos Garcia, Donny Leon, Victor
>> Rodriguez.
>> Outfielders: Michael Coleman, Josh Loggins, Donzell McDonald, Paul
>> Ottavinia.
>> (REMEMBER WHEN ERIC GUNDERSON WAS HIGHLY TOUTED DOUBLE A GUY IN THE GIANTS
>ORGANIZATION?) SOME OF THESE YANKEE GUYS WOULD SURELY COME THRU IN OCTOBER
>IN ANY LEAGUE.

Michael Coleman was the all-tools guy traded from the Reds, correct? Or was
he traded _to_ the Reds?

>> OAKLAND (13)
>> Pitchers: Frank Lankford, Dave Maurer, Scott Navarro, Wayne Nix, Steve
>> Ontiveros, Jon Ratliff, Bill Snyder.
>> Catchers: Jose de la Cruz, Rafael Pujols, Mandy Romero.
>> Infielder: Christian Reyes.
>> Outfielders: Andy Abad, Jesus Basabe.
>> (THERE MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS ARE BETTER THAN WHAT SOME MAJOR LEAGUE CLUBS
>HAVE)

We had Maurer in ST, iirc. Is Rafael related to that other Pujols in Stl?

>> PHILADELPHIA (25)
>> Pitchers: Rigo Beltran, Jason Boyd, Jason Brester, Blas Cedeno, Jason
>> Kershner, Felipe Lira, Andrew Lorraine, Eddie Oropesa, Clint Sodowsky.
>> Catchers: Darren Bush, Creighton Gubanich, Jeff Reed.
>> Infielders: P.J. Forbes, Derrick Lankford, Mickey Lopez, David Newhan,
>Kevin
>> Orie, J.P. Roberge, Gene Schall, Steve Sisco, Key Voshell.
>> Outfielders: Ramon Gomez, Manny Gonzalez, Aaron Royster, Kenny Woods.
>> (WHAT ABOUT FELIPE LIRA AND EDDIE OROPESA)?

I remember hearing about both of them... but that's all I remember.

>> SAN DIEGO (17)
>> Pitchers: Bryan Corey, Bo Donaldson, Gabe Gonzalez, Rodrigo Lopez, David
>> Lundquist, Matt Miller, Jimmy Osting, Jason Stevenson.
>> Catcher: Steve Soliz.
>> Infielders: Cleatus Davidson, Tony DeRosso, Jim Leyritz, Julius Matos,
>> Santiago Perez, Kevin Witt.
>> Outfielders: Emil Brown, Ernie Young.
>> (JIM LEYRITZ, AM I SEEING THINGS OR WHAT?)

ditto.

>> SAN FRANCISCO (10)
>> Pitchers: Jamie Arnold, Manny Bermudez, Derek Hasselhoff, Brian Knoll,
>Todd
>> Rizzo, Julio Santana.
>> Infielder: Juan Melo.
>> Outfielders: Alex Fajardo, Jake Messner, Josh Tyler.
>> (HOW OLD IS JUAN MELO, HE MAY DESERVE A LOOK?)

Wasn't he acquired from the Yanks in return for our unwanted backup SS?

>> SEATTLE (20)
>> Pitchers: Ken Cloude, Matt Jarvis, Randy Myers, Juan Ramos, Kenny Rayborn,
>> Jordan Zimmerman.
>> Catchers: Juan Alcala, Blake Barthol, John Castellano, Brad King.
>> Infielders: Chad Akers, Manny Alexander, Todd Betts, John Curl, Joe Dusan,
>> Luis Figueroa, Emmanuel Santana, Juan Thomas.
>> Outfielders: Chad Alexander, Juan Silvestre.
>> (SURPRISED NOT TO SEE SOLOMAN TORRES?)

nope. Is he out of baseball?

>> TAMPA BAY (14)
>> Pitchers: Brad Cornett, Kevin Henthorne, Santos Hernandez, Matt
>Montgomery,
>> Denis Pujals, Juan Rosario, Brian Rose.
>> Catcher: Yohanny Valera.
>> Infielders: Mike Caruso, Ron Wright.
>> Outfielders: Luis Garcia, Chris Hatcher, Norm Hutchins, Greg Martinez.
>> (MIKE CARUSO MIGHT BE WORTH LOOKING AT, HE IS STILL YOUNG AND CAN HIT, BUT
>CAN HE FIELD? HE WAS ONCE A HIGHLY TOUTED GIANTS PROSPECT AND HE HAS PROVEN
>THAT HE CAN HIT IN THE MAJORS)

bah. fielding isn't important. Just look at Russ Davis. oh wait...

>> TEXAS (25)
>> Pitchers: Jayson Durocher, Ryan Glynn, Mike Johnson, Mike Judd, Jose
>> Martinez, Tony Mounce, Peter Munro, J.J. Pearsall, Orlando Perez, J.D.
>> Smart, Brandon Villafuerte.
>> Catchers: Mike Hubbard, Marcus Jensen, Dave Steed, Luis Taveras.
>> Infielders: Salvador Beltre, Jason Camilli, Chris Demetral, Ryan Dorsey,
>> Matt Halloran, Mitch Simons.
>> Outfielders: Chris Ashby, Chuck Koone, Amaurys Nina, Marc Sagmoen.
>> (MARCUS JENSEN STILL HAS A WARM SPOT IN GIANTS FANS HEARTS)

and would probably produce better than Eds as a backup catcher.

>> TORONTO (8)
>> Pitchers: Jason Dickson, John Dillinger.
>> Catcher: Izzy Molina.
>> Infielders: Jaime Goudie, Aaron Holbert, Cole Liniak.
>> Outfielders: Tony Peters, Andy Thompson.
>>
>> (IZZY MOLINA) GREAT NAME FOR A CATCHER, BUT NOT COMPARED TO THE NAMES ON
>THE GIANTS ROSTER.

I don't think any organization can offer up two better names than the Giants
two.

-Arvin

Grant Brisbee

Oct 24, 2001, 8:39:41 PM10/24/01

"nick gee" <nic...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Here's a list of this years "six-year" minor league free agents. And as
> always the list contains it's usual assortment of familiar faces. But, at
> a quick glance, I can't see too many players who might help the Giants
> at the major league level.
>
> Anyone else spot any potential help ?.

I'll try and categorize the interesting ones:

Position players-

Definitely sign, and let compete for a job:

Michael Edwards, 3B, Cleveland
Angel Pena, C, Los Angeles
Kevin Orie, 3B, Philly
Ryan Balfe, 1B/3B/OF, St. Louis
Michael Coleman, OF, NYY

Try to sign as many as is prudent, and let compete for a bench spot before
shipping off to AAA or releasing:

Quilvio Veras, 2B, Boston
Jayson Bass, OF, Chicago Cubs
B.J. Waszgis, C, Florida
Brian Banks, OF/1B/3B/C, Florida
Mark Johnson, 1B/DH-type, NYM
Reed Secrist, 3B, Pittsburgh

Sign if the mood strikes you:

James Lofton, WR/SS, Green Bay/Boston
Kary Bridges, 2B, NYY
John Cotton, 3B/OF, Montreal
Juan Melo, 2B/SS, SF
Izzy Molina, C, Toronto

Pitchers-

Sign if you want Ryan Jensen insurance:

Joe Roa, Florida
Travis Driskill, Houston

Invite to spring training to try for the next Jeff Tam/John Johnstone:

Jason Beverlin, Anaheim
Sean Lawrence, D-Bucks
Chris Hammond, Atlanta
Johnny Ruffin, Cincinnati
Craig Dingman, Colorado
Brian Shouse, Houston

Invite to spring training to try for the next Aaron Fultz-type:

Kevin Tolar, Detroit
Rigo Beltran, Philly

If anyone cares, I made little comments below about these players. If
anyone wants the full stats on these guys, try this link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/Stats/playerfind.html

The Giants should really sign Michael Edwards.

Grant

> ANAHEIM (16)

Jason Beverlin
83 ip, 74/29 K/BB, 4.23 ERA in Salt Lake. Worth inviting to camp for a
mop-up, Joe Roa-type spot.

> ARIZONA (17)

Sean Lawrence
58.1 ip, 76/22 K/BB, 3.55 ERA in PCL. A perfect example of a good
back-of-a-cheap-bullpen guy.

> ATLANTA (20)
Chris Hammond
82 ip, 83/24 K/BB, 2.95 ERA in Intl. League. Another Jeff Tam type.

> BOSTON (19)

> Infielders: James Lofton, Quilvio Veras.

Lofton's a switch-hitting shortstop who hit .318/.360/.490 in AAA. That
should be good enough for a bench job. Quilvio Veras would be a great guy
to have off the bench.

> CHICAGO-NL (14)
Jayson Bass

A lefty outfielder who hit .327/.402/.518. That was in only 226 at-bats,
and in the PCL, but I'd rather have him than Guzman or Davis off the bench.

> CINCINNATI (32)
> Pitchers: Johnny Ruffin

He's a Baseball Prospectus favorite. He wasn't good in the majors in '96,
and hasn't had a shot since. He has been successful in the majors,
though...

> CLEVELAND (20)
Infielders: Michael Edwards

He hit .333/.403/.613 in 111 AA at-bats. He's 25, plays 3rd base, and has
never had an OBP below .379 in a full minor league season. He's worth
taking a flyer on, definitely. Bill Mueller, less glove, more pop?

> COLORADO (28)
> Craig Dingman

He had a 55/9 K/BB ratio with an 3.75 ERA in Colorado Springs. That's
almost impressive, plus we could cheer for a guy named "Dingman".

> Infielders: J.R. Phillips

AAAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> DETROIT (17)
> Pitchers: Rich DeLucia, Kevin Tolar

I almost hate to say it, but DeLucia wouldn't be so bad.

Tolar's lefthanded, and had a 73/21 K/BB in 56 innings. He's definitely
someone who should get a shot in a bullpen. If we don't sign Christiansen,
he'd be someone to drag into the spring. He was lit up in Detroit, however.

> FLORIDA (19)
> Pitchers: Joe Roa

He was actually good in the PCL. 3.92 ERA, 81/12 K/BB in 124 innings (19
starts). He could fill the Joe Roa spot on the Giants. I'll never forget
him getting out of a bases-loaded, no out jam he inhereted from
VanLaunchingPad in Atlanta.

> Catchers: B.J. Waszgis

I might take Waszgis over Santiago. He seems like a .220/.310/.400 guy.
His defense must be horrible.

> Outfielders: Brian Banks

Banks is a switch-hitting OF/1B type who hit .280/.342/.556 in the PCL. He
played nine games at catcher, so he'd definitely make a good bench player.

> HOUSTON (17)
> Pitchers: Travis Driskill, Brian Shouse

Driskill would be a good emergency starter. He had a 145/33 K/BB in 178
innings, with a 3.78 ERA in 28 starts. That's pretty good for the PCL.
He's 30, but has had modest success in the minors.

Shouse had a 56/15 K/BB ratio in 53 innings, with a 2.89 ERA.

> LOS ANGELES (24)

> Catchers: Angel Pena

He's 26, and hit .313/.370/.615 in Las Vegas. He's never hit in the majors,
but neither had LoDuca. I'd love for the Giants to sign Pena, at least to
back up Santiago. He's a low-walk/some-pop guy, as opposed to
low-walk/no-pop Santiago.

> MONTREAL (12)
> Outfielders: John Cotton

Cotton plays the outfield and a little third base. He's left-handed, and
crushes righties. He shouldn't start over Feliz, but he could spell him
against tough righties. He's never walked, and is 31, so he probably
wouldn't amount to much.

> NEW YORK-AL (37)
> Infielders: Kary Bridges

I've always liked Bridges. He hit .297/.352/.380, which isn't good, even
for a 2nd baseman. But his MLE for 2000 was .315/.382/.404. He'd be a good
infielder to have at Fresno in a glass case.

> Outfielders: Michael Coleman

He stunk up the Intl. League with a .238/.335/.446, but I'd almost rather
have him than Benard. He hit 30 homers in AAA two years ago.

> NEW YORK-NL (26)

> Infielders: Mark Johnson

Lefty, 24, and hit .315/.407/.572 in AAA. Sounds like a prospect to me.

Oh, wait, that should be *34*. He could still fill a bench spot for
someone.

> PHILADELPHIA (25)
> Pitchers: Rigo Beltran

He's a lefty, and had a 113/41 K/BB in 115 innings with a 2.96 ERA in AAA.
He should get a spot somewhere.

> Infielders: Kevin Orie

I'd definitely look into the next Ron Santo. He hit .293/.394/.444 in AAA,
and was supposed to be a good fielder. I'd rather have him get at-bats over
Ramon Martinez.

> PITTSBURGH (27)

> Infielders: Reed Secrist

Secrist hit .305/.398/.565 with 22 homers in AAA. He's 31, but he's a lefty
third baseman. I'd like to have a guy like this around on the bench to take
some at-bats against right-handers.

> ST. LOUIS (18)

> Infielders: Ryan Balfe

Balfe is only 26, a switch-hitter, and he plays 3rd. He hit .319/.384/.526
in AAA, so I'd definitely take a flyer on him.

> SAN FRANCISCO (10)

> Infielder: Juan Melo.

He's the only one worth keeping. A switch-hitting middle infielder who hits
.312/.349/.464, even in Fresno, is good to have around.

> TORONTO (8)
> Catcher: Izzy Molina

He hit .305/.353/.578 for Syracuse (AAA), but that's the first time he's
ever hit at any level.

BenF802961

Oct 24, 2001, 9:33:54 PM10/24/01
>From: Gregg Pearlman gre...@stanford.edu

>Steve Mintz
>Dan Carlson
>Desi Wilson
>Scott Service
>J.R. Phillips
>Rich DeLucia
>Chris Jones
>Jamie Brewington
>Eric Gunderson
>Tim Scott
>Jeff Reed
>Jerry Spradlin
>Juan Melo
>Marcus Jensen
>
>Former Giants, to a man. Imagine if these guys were a major league team.
>Who'd you pick for the All-Star Game?
>
>Gregg

Hey....you forgot Mike Caruso,Mike Glendenning,and Joe Roa.

Dave

Oct 24, 2001, 10:42:44 PM10/24/01
Nick Gee wrote:

>>Here's a list of this years "six-year" minor league free agents.
And as
always the list contains it's usual assortment of familiar faces. But,
at
a quick glance, I can't see too many players who might help the Giants
at the major league level.<<

I don't see any. Of course, we need to remember this is a list of
major league has-beens and minor league never-beens. I'd like to
believe our team won't 'go there.'

>>Anyone else spot any potential help ?.<<

I see several players I'd wish the Dodgers would pick up.

-Dave

P.s. I see Willie Blair is on the list. Oh, how the mighty have
fallen. He parlayed one good season into an $11 million contract with
the Tigers. He's probably the wealthiest guy on the list.

George Grapman

Oct 24, 2001, 11:39:50 PM10/24/01
When people talk about free agency changing baseball they usually only
talk about the major league system and are unaware how players could be
bottled up in the minors with no recourse.
The other major changes are the amateur draft and the Rule 5 draft.
I would love to be talking about Giants matchups in the Series this
week instead of drafts and free agents.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete "NOSPAM" from address.

Carl Durham

Oct 25, 2001, 12:28:28 AM10/25/01
Phillips .066 is still playing?

Gregg Pearlman

Oct 25, 2001, 11:14:39 AM10/25/01
BenF802961 wrote:

> >From: Gregg Pearlman gre...@stanford.edu
>
> >Steve Mintz
> >Dan Carlson
> >Desi Wilson
> >Scott Service
> >J.R. Phillips
> >Rich DeLucia
> >Chris Jones
> >Jamie Brewington
> >Eric Gunderson
> >Tim Scott
> >Jeff Reed
> >Jerry Spradlin
> >Juan Melo
> >Marcus Jensen
> >
> >Former Giants, to a man. Imagine if these guys were a major league team.
> >Who'd you pick for the All-Star Game?
>
> Hey....you forgot Mike Caruso,Mike Glendenning,and Joe Roa.

Hmm. Didn't see Roa. But those guys above are all former Giants at the
*major* league level, see....

Gregg

nick gee

Oct 26, 2001, 5:32:59 PM10/26/01
>Dave wrote in message:

>>>Nick Gee wrote:
>>>Here's a list of this years "six-year" minor league free agents.
>And as always the list contains it's usual assortment of familiar
>faces. But, at a quick glance, I can't see too many players who
>might help the Giants at the major league level.<<<
>
>I don't see any. Of course, we need to remember this is a list of
>major league has-beens and minor league never-beens. I'd like
>to believe our team won't 'go there.'

I was thinking more of providing depth at Fresno rather than
immediate help at the major league level. I think adding an
experienced catcher or two, Jesse Levis ?, Angel Pena ? or
Izzy Molina ?, and a few solid arms, Carlos Almanzar ?, Pete
Walker ?, Rigo Beltran ?, Brian Rose ?, would give the Giants
some useful depth at AAA in case of injury.

>>>Anyone else spot any potential help ?.<<<
>
>I see several players I'd wish the Dodgers would pick up.

LOL

nick

Dave

Oct 27, 2001, 9:42:58 AM10/27/01
George Grapman wrote:

>>When people talk about free agency changing baseball they usually
only
talk about the major league system and are unaware how players could
be
bottled up in the minors with no recourse.
The other major changes are the amateur draft and the Rule 5 draft.<<

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. I thought the title of
this thread said it all. As far as free agency is concerned, minor
league players live by the same rules as in the majors. In fact, it's
a tad bit more lenient. In the minors, you may become a free agent
six *seasons* after you sign your first contract, even if you've
*played* five seasons. In the majors, 90% of the players have to
complete six *years* of service time, which, counting demotions to the
minors, can sometimes take eight baseball seasons. And like major
leaguers, minor leaguers can automatically become free agents if they
are released by their team.

It's a joke to compare the freedoms (and money) that major league
baseball players enjoys compared to players in the minors, but they're
all professionals and they all have the rights to choose their
employers after a certain time.

-Dave

John Oglesby

Dec 23, 2001, 9:07:48 PM12/23/01
I DON'T CARE what it takes... but damnit, I want the Giants to go get Stoney
Briggs and Wynter Phoenix. Two coolest names ever. :)

Brian Perry

Jan 2, 2002, 10:39:39 AM1/2/02
John Oglesby wrote:

> I DON'T CARE what it takes... but damnit, I want the Giants to go get Stoney
> Briggs and Wynter Phoenix. Two coolest names ever. :)

Not while Wonderful Terrific Monds III still lives.

--
Brian Perry
Coordinator of Undergraduate Advising