opinions, not statistics

Jennifer Langer

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
<Copy of [Boxscore} post>

Given all the formatting problems with the
Box Score posts, it's very annoying to try
to line up the columns.

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but
you must have more interesting things to do
and say than posting information which anyone
can get in proper formatting (along with many
more details) at:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/sportsticker/scoreboard/

Instead of redundant information, why don't you
spend your bandwidth each game posting your
personal commentary on things relevant.

Posting bad text-formatted box scores is like
posting the standings everyday when they are
already on thousands of sports media websites.

Please stop posting these crooked text-formatted
box scores. Let's hear your opinions and
leave the stats to the sports media websites.

No offense, just thanks.

Jenny

Mr. Crud

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
Instead of trying to line up the box score columns manually, why don't you
just set your browser to display the box scores with a fixed width font,
such as courier. Did it ever occur to you that it may be your fault that the
box score columns are askew? This should solve the problem, but please
explore all of your alternatives before publicly criticizing someone else's
efforts to better the group. I personally enjoy looking at the posted box
scores, unless they reflect a Giant's loss =o)

Thank you,

Go Giants!!!

>Given all the formatting problems with the
>Box Score posts, it's very annoying to try
>to line up the columns.
>
>I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but
>you must have more interesting things to do
>and say than posting information which anyone
>can get in proper formatting (along with many
>more details) at:

Mr. Crud

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
The thing that will ruin UseNet, if any, if the overwhelming amounts of
binary data posted to the multimedia, mp3, and warez newsgroups. I don't
think a 6KB box score is going to disturb net bandwidth too much. It would
take seriously 1,000,000 people to post 6KB box scores daily to even come
close to reaching the data volume that the above mentioned groups receive on
a daily basis. I wouldn't argue for the removal of the box scores based on
that point, it is invalid.

>A few years ago, or even months ago, USENET was
>the only internet source for much statistical
>information, but now there are specialized
>Websites for statistics, scores, schedules,
>rosters, trading reports, weather reports,
>attendance figures, etc. -- freeing up
>Usenet newsgroups for opinions and commentary.
>
>What if everyone starts posting just one list,
>or score, or standing, or report a day?
>
>Think about it. The information overload on
>the Web is growing exponentially and it's
>going to ruin USENET if people don't stick
>to their own posts and stop pasting miles
>of repetitive numbers and facts from one
>site to another.
>
>I welcome the gentleman's comments and opinions.

fun...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

Jennifer,

I don't understand why you're complaining. If you can't read the box scores
properly, then you can go to the sportsline site and see them there. The box
scores messages are very clearly labeled - if you don't like them, skip them.
Nobody is forcing you to read them.

For many of us, the box scores show up properly. Not only that, we appreciate
getting this information from this newsgroup.

In article <7f5rmc$bic$2...@nnrp02.primenet.com>,
nf...@nfm.com (Jennifer Langer) wrote:
> <Copy of [Boxscore} post>

> Given all the formatting problems with the
> Box Score posts, it's very annoying to try
> to line up the columns.
>
> I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but
> you must have more interesting things to do
> and say than posting information which anyone
> can get in proper formatting (along with many
> more details) at:
>

> http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/sportsticker/scoreboard/

Jennifer Langer

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

A few years ago, or even months ago, USENET was
the only internet source for much statistical
information, but now there are specialized
Websites for statistics, scores, schedules,
rosters, trading reports, weather reports,
attendance figures, etc. -- freeing up
Usenet newsgroups for opinions and commentary.

What if everyone starts posting just one list,
or score, or standing, or report a day?

Think about it. The information overload on
the Web is growing exponentially and it's
going to ruin USENET if people don't stick
to their own posts and stop pasting miles
of repetitive numbers and facts from one
site to another.

I welcome the gentleman's comments and opinions.

In article <7f6ddq$t1r$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

fun...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

Jennifer,

your point is well taken. But can we get back to discussing the Giants? - at
least until this newsgroup is overrun by "statistics, scores, schedules,
rosters, trading reports, weather reports, attendance figures, etc.".

Recently, there have been 1 post per day about box scores but 10 posts per day
dealing with the "bandwidth problem" which hasn't even happened yet.

In article <7f6gv3$dic$2...@nnrp03.primenet.com>,

Anson

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Jennifer Langer wrote in message <7f5rmc$bic$2...@nnrp02.primenet.com>...

>Please stop posting these crooked text-formatted
>box scores. Let's hear your opinions and
>leave the stats to the sports media websites.

I just don't see why it bothers you so much. James' box score posts are
clearly labelled in the subject line. You can simply skip them. There are
many people who like to see his posts.

Felix Theonugraha

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Hi Jennifer,

> Who appointed you? Since when does usenet have
> a seniority system?

Think of it this way, every newsgroup is a community of people. As with any
community, there are people who have been there for a long time, whom we
called the regulars, and there are people who have just arrived, whom we
addressed as the newbies. Furthermore, as with any community, after a
while, there are certain rules, rituals, habits that have been put in place
over time. So, look at it this way, this newsgroup is a community of people
with certain rules, rituals, and habits. Furthermore, one of those habits
is for James to post the boxscore, and when he begin to put them up, people
who were here back then liked it, asked for more of it, and it has now begin
the norm in the newsgroup. Now, just as if we enter a new community, us
newbies have to abide by the traditions. The boxscore is part of this
newsgroup, if you don't like it, you can get people to change their mind
about it, but if people like it, then you would have to live with it instead
of whining about it. If you don't like the community's rule, then you leave
the community, very simple. And furthermore, just because James is posting
boxscores doesn't mean that people will start posting recaps, roster, etc.
As I said, it was a habit that people liked and was kept. If I start
posting recaps and people don't like it, being a newbie, I would have to
stop. That is Newsgroup Netiquette. However, if people like it and wants
more of it, then maybe recaps will become a trademark of the newsgroup.

In conclusion, you're right, usenet has no seniority system. However,
newsgroup is just like a community of people, and just like any other
community, it comes with trademarks, traditions and habits that are carried
out by the faithful regulars. For us newbie, we can either accept it, leave
the newsgroup, or try to change the traditions. However, you have tried to
change this boxscore traditions and you have failed, so accept it.

Felix

Jennifer Langer

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <7f707p$s7t$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
"Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>> Who appointed you? Since when does usenet have
>> a seniority system?
>>

>you have tried to change this boxscore traditions

>and you have failed, so accept it.

I've barely begun. Baseball is a numbers-intensive
game and Websites with statistics and tabular
information are expanding exponentially
while Usenet is a constant-sized
language-oriented medium which will only
get more clogged as more people get internet
access.

When Usenet was the only method to receive purely
tabular information, posting Box Scores everyday
was useful.

Now, it's just shoveling numbers from one nethole
to another when much more information is just a
few clicks away on any number of statistically
oriented sports media sites.

Every day that goes by inviting habitually pure
numeric posting with no commentary or opinion,
sets a deeper and deeper precedent for all
sorts of superfluous junk.

What once were conveniences, now are bad habits
in the world of online numbers-crunching.

I welcome the gentleman's opinions and commentary
but I'm sick and tired of seeing the words
[Boxscore] in this language-oriented forum when
I see it over and over on the sports media websites.

He must have better things to do than have me
ignore his 162 posts a year -- like take a break
and leave it to the numbers-intensive websites.

As the Web gets wider, there will be fewer and
fewer places where personal commentary and opinion
will remain pure. Look at the spamming that's
already seeped into this group.

Be part of the solution, not the redundancy.

Zen Bitz

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
> A few years ago, or even months ago, USENET was
> the only internet source for much statistical
> information, but now there are specialized
> Websites for statistics, scores, schedules,
> rosters, trading reports, weather reports,
> attendance figures, etc. -- freeing up
> Usenet newsgroups for opinions and commentary.

What fraction of internet traffic is USENET?
although than alt.binaries - there are no images
or sounds on USENET. It's all ascii. It's tiny.

> Think about it. The information overload on
> the Web is growing exponentially and it's
> going to ruin USENET if people don't stick
> to their own posts and stop pasting miles
> of repetitive numbers and facts from one
> site to another.

This newsgroup has a a very high signal-noise
ratio - probably the highest in any professional sport
group in all USENET. ONE post (a box score) a day is
not going to change that, even if you consider it noise.

This morning there were 51 posts. None were boxscores,
because I read that yesterday. However, a bunch were
people COMPLAINING about boxscores. Now who is wasting
bandwidth?
* PLEASE BEFORE READING THIS PAGE, *
* DOUBLE CLICK ON HIGHLIGHTED SUBJECT AREA *
* TO VIEW LETTER IN FULL SCREEN *
Remove BRAIN to email Remove BRAIN to email Remove BRAIN to
Ben Hitz -- Do not reply Directly -- Dept. of Biochemistry
*** http://tincan.bioc.columbia.edu/Home/ben.home/ ***

Zen Bitz

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Jennifer Langer wrote:

> Every day that goes by inviting habitually pure
> numeric posting with no commentary or opinion,
> sets a deeper and deeper precedent for all
> sorts of superfluous junk.

Uh, no. It gives us something to talk about.
If I say "That Ramon E Martienez scrub never hit
a HR in his life" - I could easily be proven wrong
by a box score.

> What once were conveniences, now are bad habits
> in the world of online numbers-crunching.
>
> I welcome the gentleman's opinions and commentary
> but I'm sick and tired of seeing the words
> [Boxscore] in this language-oriented forum when
> I see it over and over on the sports media websites.
>
> He must have better things to do than have me
> ignore his 162 posts a year -- like take a break
> and leave it to the numbers-intensive websites.

WOW 162 posts a YEAR!!!!
What are they, like 30K?

That's ~5MB/year. Or, if it was a modem,
1.2 baud!

> As the Web gets wider, there will be fewer and
> fewer places where personal commentary and opinion
> will remain pure. Look at the spamming that's
> already seeped into this group.

What spamming?

Are you a troll, or just misguided?

BenF802961

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

>>you have tried to change this boxscore traditions
>>and you have failed, so accept it.

>From: nf...@nfm.com (Jennifer Langer)

>I've barely begun.

I am getting tired of this subject. I think I will just ignore any future post
you make.

Robert Armstrong

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

fun...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7f6ddq$t1r$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Jennifer,
>
>I don't understand why you're complaining. If you can't read the box
scores
>properly, then you can go to the sportsline site and see them there. The
box
>scores messages are very clearly labeled - if you don't like them, skip

them.
>Nobody is forcing you to read them.
>
>For many of us, the box scores show up properly. Not only that, we
appreciate
>getting this information from this newsgroup.
>

>In article <7f5rmc$bic$2...@nnrp02.primenet.com>,
> nf...@nfm.com (Jennifer Langer) wrote:
>> <Copy of [Boxscore} post>
>>
>> Given all the formatting problems with the
>> Box Score posts, it's very annoying to try
>> to line up the columns.
>>
>> I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but
>> you must have more interesting things to do
>> and say than posting information which anyone
>> can get in proper formatting (along with many
>> more details) at:
>>
>> http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/sportsticker/scoreboard/

Please people, post what you want, and I'll read what I want.

Get over it

Cruon stuck in KC

Brian Perry

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Jennifer Langer wrote:

> A few years ago, or even months ago, USENET was
> the only internet source for much statistical
> information, but now there are specialized
> Websites for statistics, scores, schedules,
> rosters, trading reports, weather reports,
> attendance figures, etc. -- freeing up
> Usenet newsgroups for opinions and commentary.

People process differently. I like one-stop shopping for my Giants news
and conversation. YMMV.

> What if everyone starts posting just one list,
> or score, or standing, or report a day?

What if they did? I don't see the problem. We're probably talking
about a few hundred people who might read this regularly. I could live
with that. Nothing that says I HAVE to read it all. Be selective and
don't depend on others to pre-filter your information for you. That's
lazy.

> Think about it. The information overload on
> the Web is growing exponentially and it's
> going to ruin USENET if people don't stick
> to their own posts and stop pasting miles
> of repetitive numbers and facts from one
> site to another.

Nonsense. Learn to use the system. Most of us have.

Brian

JYKwon

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
nf...@nfm.com (Jennifer Langer) wrote:

>In article <7f707p$s7t$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> "Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>>

>>> Who appointed you? Since when does usenet have
>>> a seniority system?
>>>

>>you have tried to change this boxscore traditions
>>and you have failed, so accept it.
>

>I've barely begun.

The important thing is nobody cares.

>Baseball is a numbers-intensive
>game and Websites with statistics and tabular
>information are expanding exponentially
>while Usenet is a constant-sized
>language-oriented medium which will only
>get more clogged as more people get internet
>access.
>
>When Usenet was the only method to receive purely
>tabular information, posting Box Scores everyday
>was useful.
>
>Now, it's just shoveling numbers from one nethole
>to another when much more information is just a
>few clicks away on any number of statistically
>oriented sports media sites.
>

>Every day that goes by inviting habitually pure
>numeric posting with no commentary or opinion,
>sets a deeper and deeper precedent for all
>sorts of superfluous junk.

Did you even read the "gentlemen's comments?" Apparently they have their
reasons to condone the criminal act of posting the box scores. Apparently you
keep on reiterating your convincing arguements.

>What once were conveniences, now are bad habits
>in the world of online numbers-crunching.
>
>I welcome the gentleman's opinions and commentary
>but I'm sick and tired of seeing the words
>[Boxscore] in this language-oriented forum when
>I see it over and over on the sports media websites.

In that case I think you can leave.

>He must have better things to do than have me
>ignore his 162 posts a year -- like take a break
>and leave it to the numbers-intensive websites.

You must have better things to do than have me ignore your 4 posts a day --
like take a break and leave it to the real trolls and the wannabes.

>As the Web gets wider, there will be fewer and
>fewer places where personal commentary and opinion
>will remain pure. Look at the spamming that's
>already seeped into this group.

You're helping out your "cause" a lot by wasting the bandwidths with futile
attempts at nothing very important.

>Be part of the solution, not the redundancy.

Yeah. Like you are.

jy

Jennifer Langer

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <371731...@BRAINburrito.bioc.columbia.edu>,

Zen Bitz <hi...@BRAINburrito.bioc.columbia.edu> wrote:
>> A few years ago, or even months ago, USENET was
>> the only internet source for much statistical
>> information, but now there are specialized
>> Websites for statistics, scores, schedules,
>> rosters, trading reports, weather reports,
>> attendance figures, etc. -- freeing up
>> Usenet newsgroups for opinions and commentary.
>
>What fraction of internet traffic is USENET?
>although than alt.binaries - there are no images
>or sounds on USENET. It's all ascii. It's tiny.

This is illogical. There are newsgroups choked
with 10,000 messages a day. As more people
explore the Net, tabular data pasted from
statistical Websites are setting a dangerous
habit which will make usenet too crowded to
navigate.

Be part of the solution, not statistical
redundancy.

James Farrar

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

Jennifer Langer wrote:

> He must have better things to do than have me
> ignore his 162 posts a year -- like take a break
> and leave it to the numbers-intensive websites.

If you don't like it, I suggest that you killfile me. It has already been
reciprocated.

You appear to be in a tiny minority.

Regards,

James Farrar

Jennifer Langer

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <371733...@BRAINburrito.bioc.columbia.edu>,
Zen Bitz <hi...@BRAINburrito.bioc.columbia.edu> wrote:

>Jennifer Langer wrote:
>

>> As the Web gets wider, there will be fewer and
>> fewer places where personal commentary and opinion
>> will remain pure. Look at the spamming that's
>> already seeped into this group.
>

>What spamming?
>
>Are you a troll, or just misguided?

Are you the one who's been posting:
"Teenage Teens Take it up the Ass?"

or do you just enjoy it?

Jennifer Langer

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <cFIR2.1099$wi6.10...@alpha.sky.net>,
"Robert Armstrong" <cr...@kcweb.net> wrote:

>Please people, post what you want, and I'll
>read what I want.

This is an attitude which will eventually
choke Usenet with redundant statistical
data pasted from Websites.

Zen Bitz

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Jennifer Langer wrote:
> >What spamming?
> >
> >Are you a troll, or just misguided?
> >

> Are you the one who's been posting:
> "Teenage Teens Take it up the Ass?"

Never saw the post - my advice to you is get a better ISP.

> or do you just enjoy it?

EXSQEEEZE ME!!!
Did you just ask me if I enjoy anal sex with minors?

Tim Irvin

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
On 16 Apr 1999 18:50:42 GMT, nf...@nfm.com (Jennifer Langer) wrote:

>Be part of the solution, not statistical
>redundancy.

My god, it's a bot. How else could it keep saying the same
thing? Talk about *redundancy*....

--
Tim Irvin, zig...@netgate.net ::::: http://u1.netgate.net/~ziggy29

"Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and
demand that they respect yours... Abuse no one and nothing, for abuse
turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision."
-- Tecumseh (1768-1813), Shawnee chief and statesman

Jenny Lannger

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <371786B1...@ic.ac.uk>,

It's difficult to navigate newsgroups with more
than a few hundred messages a day. These are
usually split into sub-groups. That's why the
Web is more to tabular data, rather than pasting
statistical redundancies into Usenet.

I'm sorry you have to take this personally.
I welcome your opinions and commentaries.

If you'd like to open a statistical Website,
I will be happy to evaluate it.

Best,
Jenny

JYKwon

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
nf...@nfm.com (Jennifer Langer) wrote:

>>Jennifer Langer wrote:
>>

>>> As the Web gets wider, there will be fewer and
>>> fewer places where personal commentary and opinion
>>> will remain pure. Look at the spamming that's
>>> already seeped into this group.
>>

>>What spamming?
>>
>>Are you a troll, or just misguided?
>>

>Are you the one who's been posting:
>"Teenage Teens Take it up the Ass?"
>

>or do you just enjoy it?

*You* are a loser.

When you are cornered and running out of things to say, you simply turn to an
irrelevant point of yours which no one cares to bother.

But for your information, "Teenage Teens Take it up the *$$" is being
cross-posted to other baseball newsgroups, and, although I didn't check, to
lots of other sports newsgroups. On the other hand Zen Bitz seems to
concentrate his post in this NG.

Admit your defeat and move on. Nobody cares about your posts, but lots of
people are for sure bothered by them.

jy

Felix Theonugraha

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Jenny,

I don't care what you are trying to do with the boxscore ordeal. However,
do keep in mind that this Newsgroup is a community of people with regulars.
You are just a newbie. Tell me something, if you are recently hired by a
huge company to be their receptionist, would you go around telling people
that they must stop having their lunch at 4 pm because it's almost dinner
time?? You are just a receptionist, you have no power, you have to go with
the tradition. Same here, you're a newbie, coming into an established
community. You are not a newsgroup moderator, and this newsgroup is not
interested in having a moderator.

And if you think you have not already failed, go and LOOK at how many people
have responded negatively to your suggestions. GET THE HINT!! people don't
care about your suggestion, they like the box score, they want the
boxscore!!

Felix

> What once were conveniences, now are bad habits
> in the world of online numbers-crunching.
>
> I welcome the gentleman's opinions and commentary
> but I'm sick and tired of seeing the words
> [Boxscore] in this language-oriented forum when
> I see it over and over on the sports media websites.
>

> He must have better things to do than have me
> ignore his 162 posts a year -- like take a break
> and leave it to the numbers-intensive websites.
>

> As the Web gets wider, there will be fewer and
> fewer places where personal commentary and opinion
> will remain pure. Look at the spamming that's
> already seeped into this group.
>

> Be part of the solution, not the redundancy.

Jennifer Langer

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <7f827m$nc7$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
"Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>Jenny,
>

>this Newsgroup is a community of people with regulars.
>You are just a newbie.

Usenet has no seniority. More than a
few hundred messages a day, and it gets very
hard to navigate.

We've all seen other newsgroup traffic jump from
50 posts a day to hundreds in a matter of months.

Why can't people pasting purely tabular statistical
information open a Website? If not, there are
loads of statistical Websites.

Why are you people clinging to the past? It
only takes a few hundred posts a day to make
Usenet too crowded. If the Giants improve,
as more people find Usenet, it's going to
encourage newbies to post statistics from
Websites and clog the newsgroup.

It's only one person a day, now, but as
new people tune into Usenet, they're going
to become part of the problem.

What is so illogical about this?

>Tell me something, if you are recently hired by a
>huge company to be their receptionist, would you
>go around telling people that they must stop having
>their lunch at 4 pm because it's almost dinner
>time??

If I worked at a company where everyone had lunch
at 4 and it was hurting the business and jamming
up the phone lines, I would tell the boss and
hopefully he'd make me his boss.

Usenet is not a revenue-generating operation, nor
is there any seniority, whether you make one post
or one million.

I'm only asking that the gentleman post a URL where
he can load the data he wants without setting
a bad habit for newbies to think it's kosher to
paste tabular data from Websites into newsgroups
which become too crowded after a few hundred posts
a day.

What is wrong with that?

>You are just a receptionist, you have no power,

You are just a poster, like me. Neither of us
have any power other than to clog up Usenet
with statistics pasted from the Web.

>you have to go with the tradition.

Are you in the clergy?

>Same here, you're a newbie, coming into an
>established community.

Since the number of humanly digestible Usenet
posts a day is limited to a few hundred, I maintain
think it's a bad habit -- as newbies discover the
internet -- to see redundant statistical data
pasted from the Web.

>You are not a newsgroup moderator, and this
>newsgroup is not interested in having a moderator.

Then we agree that purely statistical data
with no commentary should remain on the
Web to keep the traffic down by discouraging
bad habits as newbies discover Usenet?

>And if you think you have not already failed,
>go and LOOK at how many people have responded
>negatively to your suggestions.

They are clinging to obsolete habits. Pure
tabular data is Web-suited. I welcome
any Website suited to this purpose if the
user merely posts a URL.

>GET THE HINT!! people don't care about
your suggestion, they like the box score,
>they want the boxscore!!

There are a myriad of Websites which will
make them happy without setting a bad habit
for newbies as the Giants continue to draw
more online fans.

Best,
Jenny

Brian Perry

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Jenny Lannger wrote:

> In article <371786B1...@ic.ac.uk>,
> James Farrar <james....@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> >

> >Jennifer Langer wrote:
> >

> >> He must have better things to do than have me
> >> ignore his 162 posts a year -- like take a break
> >> and leave it to the numbers-intensive websites.
> >

> >If you don't like it, I suggest that you killfile
> >me. It has already been reciprocated.
> >
> >You appear to be in a tiny minority.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >James Farrar
>
> It's difficult to navigate newsgroups with more
> than a few hundred messages a day. These are
> usually split into sub-groups. That's why the
> Web is more to tabular data, rather than pasting
> statistical redundancies into Usenet.

I (we) seem to be amazed at your ability to decide for the world just
how much and what type of content is appropriate for newsgroups. _I_
don't have any difficulty in dealing with newsgroups that generate 500+
posts per day. What is there about your information processing
apparatus that causes this to be such a problem for you? You seem to
want one newsgroup which contains only info of great importance to you.
Everything else is clutter. I enjoy USENET with all its rich variety
and am willing to make the effort to get what I want. It doesn't bother
me that newsgroups grow and split. Segmentation isn't all that
innovative a concept. Should this group prove to be too much for you
info-overloaded systems to cope with, exit stage left please.
Otherwise, feel free to participate in those discussions that are of
interest to you and ignore the rest. Killfiles can make your life much
easier too. I suspect that you occupy several already.

Brian

Anson

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
On 16 Apr 1999 18:50:42 GMT, nf...@nfm.com (Jennifer Langer) wrote:

>In article <371731...@BRAINburrito.bioc.columbia.edu>,

> Zen Bitz <hi...@BRAINburrito.bioc.columbia.edu> wrote:
>>
>>What fraction of internet traffic is USENET?
>>although than alt.binaries - there are no images
>>or sounds on USENET. It's all ascii. It's tiny.
>

>This is illogical. There are newsgroups choked
>with 10,000 messages a day.

What is illogical? That you're wasting all this bandwidth to try to
convince one person not to post something? How big is a box score
post? 6K? 8K? If you're really into saving bandwidth, put your
effort into any NG with "binaries" in them. Graphic files can be 100K
or more each. Stop worrying about a little text file.

Greg Lentz

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Has anyone considered the possibility that Jennifer attends Sonoma State
University?

Being helpful.

Greg Lentz
(who has noticed that he is still waiting for Jennifer's first post actually
talking about baseball)

Anson

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
On 16 Apr 1999 19:57:14 GMT, nf...@nsfm.com (Jennifer Langer) wrote:

>In article <7f827m$nc7$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> "Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>>You are just a receptionist, you have no power,
>

>You are just a poster, like me. Neither of us
>have any power other than to clog up Usenet
>with statistics pasted from the Web.

Glad you finally get the point. You have no power to tell others what
to do. Or are you suggesting the whole NG should change the way it is
just to please one person, that perosn being you?

MIke Whitney

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

Hey, how 'bout those Giants!!!
MW

Richard Booroojian

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

Just to reiterate, you really are bad.

And I actually did think about this possibility last night. "What are
the chances?", I asked myself. "Nah, there couldn't be that many
professors there who are determined to waste our time and generally
disrupt our conversation by dealing out stupid assignments, especially
while our starting rotation is so completely the shits."

But maybe...

rb

Richard Booroojian

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Zen Bitz wrote:

> This newsgroup has a a very high signal-noise
> ratio - probably the highest in any professional sport
> group in all USENET.

Just for my education, Ben, what does "signal-noise ratio" mean? If it
is good and we are doing it, I want to take some credit.

Jennifer, I assume this is allowed? Or is my education too much of a
band width black hole, since I am not offering an opinion while asking
for it.

rb

Tim Irvin

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <3717DE...@earthlink.net>, Richard Booroojian
<rboo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Just to reiterate, you really are bad.

You are wrong.

> And I actually did think about this possibility last night. "What are
> the chances?", I asked myself. "Nah, there couldn't be that many
> professors there who are determined to waste our time and generally
> disrupt our conversation by dealing out stupid assignments, especially
> while our starting rotation is so completely the shits."

Can you imagine how *putrid* (instead of merely very bad) the stats for
the starters would be without Chris Brock?

"Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and

demand that they respect yours...Abuse no one and nothing, for abuse

Scrotti

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
What a useless and waste of time crusade.
Jennifer also has been wasting the regulars time .Jennifer is spreading like a
disease, from regular to newbie, bygetting people to respond. Ig nore her and
she will go away. This is a Giants newsgroup, talking about baseball, not
crusades, bandwidths, or something dumb like that. I choose to ignore her like
some of you said.Don't get caught in her evil web. Skip her posts and the
"Jennifer" virus will disappear.

Greg Lentz

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:08:58 -0700, Tim Irvin <zig...@netgate.net> wrote:

>In article <3717DE...@earthlink.net>, Richard Booroojian
><rboo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Just to reiterate, you really are bad.
>
>You are wrong.
>
>> And I actually did think about this possibility last night. "What are
>> the chances?", I asked myself. "Nah, there couldn't be that many
>> professors there who are determined to waste our time and generally
>> disrupt our conversation by dealing out stupid assignments, especially
>> while our starting rotation is so completely the shits."
>
>Can you imagine how *putrid* (instead of merely very bad) the stats for
>the starters would be without Chris Brock?

Dammit, don't clutter up this $%^&! newsgroup with useless statistical nonsense
readily available on the Web. I'm here to talk about Jennifer.

Greg Lentz

Lee Roberts

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
nf...@nfm.com (Jenny Lannger) wrote:

<snip>

>If you'd like to open a statistical Website,
>I will be happy to evaluate it.
>
>Best,
>Jenny

Hi Noah!

All of you readers who have compared this "Jenny Langer" person to
Noah Hidder, take note: you were more correct than you might have
thought. Check out these headers from an old Noah post:

>Author: Noah!Hidder <n...@sdf.com>
>Date: 1998/10/12
>Forum: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
>Posted on: 1998/10/12
>Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants

Now, the headers from a "Jenny Langer" post:

>From: nf...@nfm.com (Jenny Lannger)
>Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
>Subject: Re: opinions, not statistics
>Date: 16 Apr 1999 19:06:26 GMT

Note the similarities: name misspelled, probably intentionally to
avoid killfiles ("Noah!Hidder" and "Lannger"). Nonsensical email
address. Posted from primenet.com. Both posts even came from the
same 207.218.xxx.xxx IP block, an IP block that is part of Primenet's
Burbank POP.

Nice try "Noah", but you lose. Again.
Rev. Lee A. Roberts, ULC, MCP |"'cause I'm praying for rain
Linux -- choice of a GNU generation! | I'm praying for tidal waves
http://www.inficad.com/~lroberts | I wanna see the ground give way
finger lrob...@inficad.com for PGP key | I wanna watch it all go down..."

Marie C.

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:54:09 GMT, gle...@worldpassage.net (Greg Lentz)
wrote:

It's just become clear to me.... Jennifer is the girl in the Pepsi
commercial!!! AAAAAUUUUGH!! (no, it doesn't rate an EEEEEE!)

Marie

Anson

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
Greg Lentz wrote in message <3718d8ab...@news.worldpassage.net>...

>On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:08:58 -0700, Tim Irvin <zig...@netgate.net> wrote:
>
>>In article <3717DE...@earthlink.net>, Richard Booroojian
>><rboo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>Can you imagine how *putrid* (instead of merely very bad) the stats for
>>the starters would be without Chris Brock?
>
>Dammit, don't clutter up this $%^&! newsgroup with useless statistical
nonsense
>readily available on the Web. I'm here to talk about Jennifer.

OK, as you wish, let's talk about Jennifer. So, what led RB to think that
Jennifer is RM's cousin? How'bout wife, daughter, girlfriend, RM using a
female name, Noah's relative, etc...?

And how is Jennifer as a troll compare to Noah or RM? Is she not as rude,
but way more repetitive (to waste bandwidth?), and doesn't sound as
offensive as the others just because she's a female?

And is she worse, or not as bad as what's her name from Sonoma State?
Actually, can she be that same girl disguised as someone else and doing
another survey for her class?

And also, is she really annoying, or maybe some of us actually welcome her,
since some of us has said that they kinda miss Noah, right?

Finally, if it was Charlie Hayes who was posting the box score and heard
what Jennifer had to say about him, would he lose it and go after her too?
Or do you think he wouldn't hit a girl?

Hope I wasn't wasting bandwidth here, but the above are really questions to
generate opinions, as opposed to stats that are readily available on the
web, so I don't think Jennifer would mind.

Anson
1999
Year of the Giants

Greg Lentz

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:06:07 GMT, mar...@giantsfan.com (Marie C.) wrote:

>>Dammit, don't clutter up this $%^&! newsgroup with useless statistical nonsense
>>readily available on the Web. I'm here to talk about Jennifer.
>

>It's just become clear to me.... Jennifer is the girl in the Pepsi
>commercial!!! AAAAAUUUUGH!! (no, it doesn't rate an EEEEEE!)

Strange.

I never thought rlm/Noah would look like a little girl, but talk like the
Godfather. Or sing like Aretha. Just goes to show you never know who you're
talking to on Usenet.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 14:19:25 -0700, "Anson" <Gia...@PacBellPark.com> wrote:

>Greg Lentz wrote in message <3718d8ab...@news.worldpassage.net>...
>>On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:08:58 -0700, Tim Irvin <zig...@netgate.net> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <3717DE...@earthlink.net>, Richard Booroojian
>>><rboo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>Can you imagine how *putrid* (instead of merely very bad) the stats for
>>>the starters would be without Chris Brock?
>>

>>Dammit, don't clutter up this $%^&! newsgroup with useless statistical
>>nonsense readily available on the Web. I'm here to talk about Jennifer.
>

>OK, as you wish, let's talk about Jennifer. So, what led RB to think that
>Jennifer is RM's cousin? How'bout wife, daughter, girlfriend, RM using a
>female name, Noah's relative, etc...?

I think Richard is actually a female student at Sonoma State University,
evidence at last year's a.s.b.sf-g game to the contrary. It could have been a
plant...

>And how is Jennifer as a troll compare to Noah or RM? Is she not as rude,
>but way more repetitive (to waste bandwidth?), and doesn't sound as
>offensive as the others just because she's a female?

Lacks entertainment value. At least Noah mixed up his schtick. I've never
conversed (or whatever they call it) with rlm, so I can't vouch for that.
"Jennifer" reminds me more of VEGR from Star Trek I (also known as The Boring
Movie), with a endleslly repetitive message.

>And is she worse, or not as bad as what's her name from Sonoma State?
>Actually, can she be that same girl disguised as someone else and doing
>another survey for her class?

"MMMMMMCould be."

After all, the same reaction has been elicited twice.

>And also, is she really annoying, or maybe some of us actually welcome her,
>since some of us has said that they kinda miss Noah, right?

I'll state that I think every one of us looks for a fight now and then and
Usenet provides an easy way for people to get really pissed off at each other
without suffering much of a consequence.

>Finally, if it was Charlie Hayes who was posting the box score and heard
>what Jennifer had to say about him, would he lose it and go after her too?

Only if she thought she was Bob Gibson.

>Or do you think he wouldn't hit a girl?

"I really don't like Jennifer. I just don't like her."

>Hope I wasn't wasting bandwidth here, but the above are really questions to
>generate opinions, as opposed to stats that are readily available on the
>web, so I don't think Jennifer would mind.

As long as you don't post boxscores, I am quite fine with your choice of topic.

Greg Lentz

MIke Whitney

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99

Greg Lentz wrote in message

>I think Richard is actually a female student at Sonoma State University,
>evidence at last year's a.s.b.sf-g game to the contrary. It could have
been a
>plant...

Ahhhh, that's why he didn't know the secret FSU Bulldog handshake!!!
MW

Richard Booroojian

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
Greg Lentz wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 14:19:25 -0700, "Anson" <Gia...@PacBellPark.com> wrote:

> >OK, as you wish, let's talk about Jennifer. So, what led RB to think that
> >Jennifer is RM's cousin? How'bout wife, daughter, girlfriend, RM using a
> >female name, Noah's relative, etc...?
>

> I think Richard is actually a female student at Sonoma State University,
> evidence at last year's a.s.b.sf-g game to the contrary. It could have been a
> plant...

I better bring my driver's license this year.

Anyway, you know I am a Fresno State Bulldog through and through (except
for when the annoying alumni association telemarketers try to hit me up
for money, as they did this morning without success). As for the rest, I
guess you just need to trust me.

rb

Richard Booroojian

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
MIke Whitney wrote:

> Greg Lentz wrote in message
> >
> >I think Richard is actually a female student at Sonoma State University,
> >evidence at last year's a.s.b.sf-g game to the contrary. It could have
> been a
> >plant...
> >
> Ahhhh, that's why he didn't know the secret FSU Bulldog handshake!!!

I certainly do. I just didn't want to get skewered by that pitchfork.

rb

Richard Booroojian

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
Sam Francisco Gomez wrote:

> Noah had a sex-change operation? Maybe he got
> kicked out of male-dom and had to become a female
> instead. I can't see females allowing this to
> continue. Maybe the pond scum will take him.

Or maybe he is just using an alias. Not that that ever happens. Right,
Sam?

rb

Anson

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
Richard Booroojian wrote in message <371905...@earthlink.net>...

>Greg Lentz wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 14:19:25 -0700, "Anson" <Gia...@PacBellPark.com>
wrote:

>> >OK, as you wish, let's talk about Jennifer. So, what led RB to think
that
>> >Jennifer is RM's cousin? How'bout wife, daughter, girlfriend, RM using
>> >female name, Noah's relative, etc...?
>>
>> I think Richard is actually a female student at Sonoma State University,
>> evidence at last year's a.s.b.sf-g game to the contrary. It could have
been a
>> plant...
>
>I better bring my driver's license this year.

And what does that prove???

*Had to go to dejanews again to read Greg's original reply! (OK OK,
everyone knows my news server sucks by now, but I'm too cheap to switch ISP.
Even $15 would be too much for me)

Sam Francisco Gomez

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
l...@tlpbbs.dyn.ml.org (Lee Roberts) writes:

>nf...@nfm.com (Jenny Lannger) wrote:

><snip>

>Hi Noah!

Noah had a sex-change operation? Maybe he got

kicked out of male-dom and had to become a female
instead. I can't see females allowing this to
continue. Maybe the pond scum will take him.

>--

>Rev. Lee A. Roberts, ULC, MCP |"'cause I'm praying for rain
>Linux -- choice of a GNU generation! | I'm praying for tidal waves
>http://www.inficad.com/~lroberts | I wanna see the ground give way
>finger lrob...@inficad.com for PGP key | I wanna watch it all go down..."

Sam

Felix Theonugraha

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

Let me ask you something, does a community have a group of people who are
the regulars and receive seniority? Does a community have certain
traditions and habits that new people who come into it must abide by? If
you say no to either of these, I suggest you go back to kindergarten and
learn this matter all over again.

here, you know what? I suggest you read up on Newsgroup Netiquette, you'll
be smarter that way.

yes, i am a newbie too, and do you see me trying to make changes to this
newsgroup??? Furthermore, do you see people responding angrily and
negatively to my posts??? how bout you, jenny?? You are a newbie too, but
you're trying to change something in the newsgroup, and look at how people
are responding to you!!

you should just forget the whole thing, because sooner or later, people are
going to start ignoring your post. it is very easy to do that, and at one
point, everything you post will be non-existent to everyone else.

Felix

Felix Theonugraha

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

> >Same here, you're a newbie, coming into an
> >established community.
>

> Since the number of humanly digestible Usenet
> posts a day is limited to a few hundred, I maintain
> think it's a bad habit -- as newbies discover the
> internet -- to see redundant statistical data
> pasted from the Web.

GET MY POINT. COMMUNITY!! COMMUNITY!! COMMUNITY!!

Lee Roberts

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
c...@netcom.com (Sam Francisco Gomez) wrote:

>l...@tlpbbs.dyn.ml.org (Lee Roberts) writes:

<snip>

>>Nice try "Noah", but you lose. Again.
>
>Noah had a sex-change operation? Maybe he got
>kicked out of male-dom and had to become a female
>instead. I can't see females allowing this to
>continue. Maybe the pond scum will take him.

Or the Dodgers newsgroup. He is in Burbank, after all.

Sam Francisco Gomez

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Richard Booroojian <rboo...@earthlink.net> writes:

>Sam Francisco Gomez wrote:

>> Noah had a sex-change operation? Maybe he got
>> kicked out of male-dom and had to become a female
>> instead. I can't see females allowing this to
>> continue. Maybe the pond scum will take him.

>Or maybe he is just using an alias. Not that that ever happens. Right,
>Sam?

Nahhh, if he were me, then he would have had the
decency to tell us about it so we could kill file
him ahead of time. This "gal" is probably Noah
because he/she has deliberately misspelled her name
between posts so that she can be accidently read.
All I can think is that "Langer" must be an anagram
for a synonym of pathetic.

> rb

Sam

Jenny

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
In article <7fc311$hqu$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
"Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>Let me ask you something, does a community have
>a group of people who are the regulars and receive
>seniority?

Not on Usenet

>Does a community have certain traditions and
>habits that new people who come into it must
>abide by?

Some do, this doesn't.

Nobody *must* do anything, including breathe.

>If you say no to either of these, I suggest
>you go back to kindergarten and
>learn this matter all over again.

Communist

>here, you know what? I suggest you read up
>on Newsgroup Netiquette, you'll be smarter
>that way.

Who says, Mr. Know-it All?

>yes, i am a newbie too, and do you see me
>trying to make changes to this newsgroup???

If people are clogging the valauble few hundred
spaces a day reserved for easy sorting and
digesting language-oriented messages,
by superfluously pasting purely tabular data
from statistically-based Websites better
equipped to handle numbers -- then you are
negligent in your service to humanity by not
speaking up, instead rumbling within
the herd of obsolete conformity.

People who are afraid to speak out for what
is at least logical, in a forum with limited
capacity to manipulate more than a few hundred
messages a day, are the seeds of totalitarianism
in a free society.

>Furthermore, do you see people responding angrily
>and negatively to my posts???

Hope so.

>how bout you, jenny?? You are a newbie too,
>but you're trying to change something in the
>newsgroup, and look at how people are
>responding to you!!

Save a few reasonable souls, I pity their
self-involved negligence of this limited
medium which encourages the subversion of
clinging to obsolete habits through numbers
pollution.

Their intentions were once good, but now
they are a bad example to new Usenet users,
who will see no harm in pasting loads of
numbers from Websites.

>you should just forget the whole thing, because
>sooner or later, people are going to start ignoring
>your post.

Give me legitimacy, or give me nothing.

>it is very easy to do that, and at one
>point, everything you post will be non-existent
>to everyone else.

sniffle

>Felix

Stop hiding in the herd of the obsolete and
inexpedient.

Stand up for what you know is reasonable, and
your peers will respect your dignity. Soon
you will have many followers and Usenet will
remain free from purely statistical-spam pasted
in from Websites designed for such content.

You're a good person, and people like you.

Now be a man, so others, yet to arrive, may
one day post well of you.

Jenny

Felix Theonugraha

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99

> >Does a community have certain traditions and
> >habits that new people who come into it must
> >abide by?
>

> Some do, this doesn't.

What's the logic in this? This is a community too.

> Nobody *must* do anything, including breathe.

You should do that. stop breathing.

> >If you say no to either of these, I suggest
> >you go back to kindergarten and
> >learn this matter all over again.
>

> Communist

HAHAHAHAHAHA, THIS IS EVEN BETTER. YOU ARE A STUPID IDIOT!! DO YOU EVEN
KNOW WHAT COMMUNIST MEAN? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT IT STANDS FOR??
AHAHAHAHAHAA!!

> >here, you know what? I suggest you read up
> >on Newsgroup Netiquette, you'll be smarter
> >that way.
>

> Who says, Mr. Know-it All?

HAHA, THIS IS FUNNY TOO!! Well, you can sulk in your stupid ignorance,
that's fine w/ me. At least I know that in this world, someone is ALWAYS
dumber than me!! and that person is you!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA!!

> >yes, i am a newbie too, and do you see me
> >trying to make changes to this newsgroup???
>

> If people are clogging the valauble few hundred
> spaces a day reserved for easy sorting and
> digesting language-oriented messages,
> by superfluously pasting purely tabular data
> from statistically-based Websites better
> equipped to handle numbers -- then you are
> negligent in your service to humanity by not
> speaking up, instead rumbling within
> the herd of obsolete conformity.
>
> People who are afraid to speak out for what
> is at least logical, in a forum with limited
> capacity to manipulate more than a few hundred
> messages a day, are the seeds of totalitarianism
> in a free society.

Ah shut up, you said this 1000 times already.

> You're a good person, and people like you.
>
> Now be a man, so others, yet to arrive, may
> one day post well of you.

Well, I am already a man, and people have already post well of me =) and
that's something you can't say. haha!!

Felix

Jenny

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
In article <7fdmo3$l86$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
"Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>> >Does a community have certain traditions and
>> >habits that new people who come into it must
>> >abide by?
>>

>> Some do, this doesn't.
>>

>What's the logic in this? This is a community
>too.

Why do you assume that all communities
are governed by the same rules?

Usenet is like a cyber-tavern. Anyone
can come in and say whatever they want.

If they are ignored, so be it. If someone
becomes offensive, it's up to their internet
provider to discipline them.

You (or I) have no say in what people
should say. There is no seniority.

On any day, a hundred new posters may create
their own little clique and ignore the
old guard. There is no social
hierarchy.

Now, that you mention it, I wonder what
would happen if an Internet Service Provider
ignored abuse by its customer and continued
to let him post offensive material.

I suppose they could be sued in a civil
case, but I would imagine only if the
offended parties could prove material
damages, or slander, or libel, etc.

In your case, it's probably best if
you just stay in the herd and agree
with the majority, since they are wrong
about posting purely tabular data on
Usenet -- which is designed only for
a few hundred word-oriented messages a day.

Messages with no commentary or opinion
are best left on the Web.

Why, if you don't disagree, don't you come
over to the winning side. Just because some
do it, doesn't make it right.

"No matter how far down the wrong road,
it is always better to turn back."

-- Turkish Proverb

Sean Keane

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
I'm new here, and respect your opinion (even though the matter is
getting tedious) but I wonder why you conspicuously change/disguise your
identity, "Jenny".

Felix Theonugraha

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
I like the way how you only respond to one part of the message, just the
beginning, in that case, and ignore the rest. why? Can't answer them,
Jenny?? Or should I call you Jennifer Langer? Or would you like to be
called Jennifer Lannger?

> Why do you assume that all communities
> are governed by the same rules?

HAHA! IT'S CALLED COMMON SENSE!! wow, i take back what i said earlier, you
gotta go back to PRESCHOOL!!

> Usenet is like a cyber-tavern. Anyone
> can come in and say whatever they want.
>
> If they are ignored, so be it. If someone
> becomes offensive, it's up to their internet
> provider to discipline them.
>
> You (or I) have no say in what people
> should say. There is no seniority.
>
> On any day, a hundred new posters may create
> their own little clique and ignore the
> old guard. There is no social
> hierarchy.

uh huh, I think you are misguided here. do you see a new hierarchy
established here in this NG? How bout that failed hieararchy of yours??

> Now, that you mention it, I wonder what
> would happen if an Internet Service Provider
> ignored abuse by its customer and continued
> to let him post offensive material.

> I suppose they could be sued in a civil
> case, but I would imagine only if the
> offended parties could prove material
> damages, or slander, or libel, etc.
>
> In your case, it's probably best if
> you just stay in the herd and agree
> with the majority, since they are wrong
> about posting purely tabular data on
> Usenet -- which is designed only for
> a few hundred word-oriented messages a day.

no no no. the herd here says boxscore stays. you go away. you should agree
w/ the majority and shut up.

> Messages with no commentary or opinion
> are best left on the Web.

Oh, I see what this is about. you are trying to be the moderator of this
newsgroup. DING DING!! another newsgroup idea. THERE ARE NO MODERATORS IN
THIS NEWSGROUP!!

> Why, if you don't disagree, don't you come
> over to the winning side. Just because some
> do it, doesn't make it right.

Yes, you seem to realize that. Come over, Jenny.

> "No matter how far down the wrong road,
> it is always better to turn back."
>
> -- Turkish Proverb

Yes, yes, I absolutely agree. It's not too late, Jenny, come back!!

Felix

Felix Theonugraha

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
let's see. i'll post this, and you'll post a reply, and you'll see how many
people are still responding to your posts. then you'll see how dead and
stupid you are, and you'll realize how many people have blocked you.

> I'll bet you're being this polite because you
> want others to like you.

Hee hee, i have nothing against anyone, and they don't have anything against
me...with you..well.. that's a different story.

> If you're trying to finish this thread without
> me, be my guest.

Thank you, I'll take that flyer out of your existence.

> Some communities have hierarchies and some
> don't. Usenet doesn't. On any given day
> any number of new users may capture the
> attention span while old users are never
> heard from again.

This Newsgroup does. Look at the posters from day to day, they're pretty
stable.

Jennifer Langer

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In article <7fe7fp$3j1$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
"Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>I like the way how you only respond to one part
>of the message, just the beginning, in that case,
>and ignore the rest. why? Can't answer them,

Don't remember now, but probably weren't
worth my time.

>Jenny?? Or should I call you Jennifer Langer?
>Or would you like to be called Jennifer Lannger?

Please don't call me.

>> Why do you assume that all communities
>> are governed by the same rules?
>

>HAHA! IT'S CALLED COMMON SENSE!! wow, i take
>back what i said earlier, you gotta go back
>to PRESCHOOL!!

I'll bet you're being this polite because you

want others to like you.

If you're trying to finish this thread without
me, be my guest.

Every community has a unique (or no)
hierarchy. Usenet has no hierarchy.

The Sierra Club may have a hierarchy, I don't know.

Most Labor Unions have seniority systems.

Some communities have hierarchies and some
don't. Usenet doesn't. On any given day
any number of new users may capture the
attention span while old users are never
heard from again.

There are no endemic privileges on Usenet
based on merit, history, or sentiment.

Every user has an equal chance to garner
a response regardless of his posting history.

I can't begin to understand how you think
anyone's opinion on Usenet holds any more
weight strictly by posting history.

What if you don't like their posts? Should
they be given more consideration than articulate
people who post infrequently?

Where are the rules? There are none that
favor "regulars" or "frequent users." It's
strictly a random forum, like a bar -- except
you can't get thrown out for unpopular opinions.

The only point I can see you making, is
that you don't want to offend the "regulars"
by changing their posting habits which are
polluting the limited capacity of Usenet
with unnecessary tabular data better suited
to the Web, merely because it was the only
way once.

>you are trying to be the moderator of this
>newsgroup.

I want to eliminate purely tabular
data better suited to the Web in order to discourage
new users from getting into bad habits and clogging
up a medium which gets unwieldy after a few hundred
messages a day.

At this point it's mostly prophylactic, but Usenet
grows exponentially, and if new users see unannotated
statistical data posted on a regular basis it will
metasticize into inexpedience.

Jennifer Langer

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In article <7feesr$8qj$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
"Felix Theonugraha" <xe...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>let's see. i'll post this, and you'll post
>a reply, and you'll see how many people
>are still responding to your posts.

The fewer the better. Why do you accuse
me not responding to the content of
your posts, yet you delete all the
content in favor of proving how
unpopular I am. Who cares?

I've made one simple point about
Usenet being unsuited to pure
tabular data which is a poor example
for new users to start bad habits
best left to the numbers=friendly Web.

Why all the animosity?

>then you'll see how dead and
>stupid you are,

Is this second grade tattle-taling
emblematic of the level of everyone's
tastes, or are you the most articulate
in this newsgroup?

I've made one simple point, and you're
turning this into personal abuse. Why?

>and you'll realize how many people
>have blocked you.

Excellent. I've got the joint to
myself. Party on, Wayne. Party
on, Garth.

>> Some communities have hierarchies and some
>> don't. Usenet doesn't. On any given day
>> any number of new users may capture the
>> attention span while old users are never
>> heard from again.
>

>This Newsgroup does. Look at the posters from
>day to day, they're pretty stable.

I think it's time for a change, don't you?

Jennifer

Zen Bitz

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Richard Booroojian wrote:

> Zen Bitz wrote:
>
> > This newsgroup has a a very high signal-noise
> > ratio - probably the highest in any professional sport
> > group in all USENET.
>
> Just for my education, Ben, what does "signal-noise ratio" mean? If it
> is good and we are doing it, I want to take some credit.

signal = shit you want to read.
noise = shit you don't

signal
---- = signal to noise ratio...
noise

"UH, I was told that there WOULD be no math."

* PLEASE BEFORE READING THIS PAGE, *
* DOUBLE CLICK ON HIGHLIGHTED SUBJECT AREA *
* TO VIEW LETTER IN FULL SCREEN *
Remove BRAIN to email Remove BRAIN to email Remove BRAIN to
Ben Hitz -- Do not reply Directly -- Dept. of Biochemistry
*** http://tincan.bioc.columbia.edu/Home/ben.home/ ***

Brian Perry

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Jenny wrote:
> (the usual troll stuff)

Hi Noah. You're still wrong.

Brian

Lee Roberts

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
ns...@nspam.com (Noah Hidder masquerading as "Jennifer Langer")
wrote:

>I think it's time for a change, don't you?

Give it up, Noah. You've been exposed. Go crawl back under your rock
in Burbank.

>Jennifer

Not.

Scrotti

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99

>>Let me ask you something, does a community have
>>a group of people who are the regulars and receive
>>seniority?

Sure there are.......

Gregg Pearlman
Greg Lentz
JHB
James Farrar
Jeff Chung
Booroojian
BenF802961
Paul Lujan
Ben Hitz
Sam Francisco Gomez
Tim Irvin
JW4SM
Maria
Edith
Ethan Powell
Felix Theonugraha
John Gutierrez
Anson
Andy Wiesner

Sam Francisco Gomez

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
scr...@aol.com (Scrotti) writes:

>>>Let me ask you something, does a community have
>>>a group of people who are the regulars and receive
>>>seniority?

>Sure there are.......

>Gregg Pearlman
>Greg Lentz
>JHB
>James Farrar
>Jeff Chung
>Booroojian
>BenF802961
>Paul Lujan
>Ben Hitz
>Sam Francisco Gomez

That's because I HAVE THE LONGEST NAME ON THIS LIST
GODDAMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Tim Irvin
>JW4SM
>Maria
>Edith
>Ethan Powell
>Felix Theonugraha
>John Gutierrez
>Anson
>Andy Wiesner

Sam

JVV4sm

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus -- it bounced "unknown user"

Anson

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
Sam Francisco Gomez wrote in message ...

You gotta admit, all trolls have one thing in common: They learn pretty
quick to modify their names to avoid killfiles.

Noah Hidder

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <19990420051647...@ng-ch1.aol.com>,
jvv...@aol.com (JVV4sm) wrote:

>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus --
>it bounced "unknown user"

Why are you wasting bandwidth?

Noah Hidder

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <371c...@news1.jps.net>,

"Anson" <Gia...@PacBellPark.com> wrote:

>You gotta admit, all trolls have one thing in
>common: They learn pretty
>quick to modify their names to avoid killfiles.

Why are you wasting bandwidth with this
nonsense?

BenF802961

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99

>scr...@aol.com (Scrotti) writes:
>

>>Sure there are.......
>
>>Gregg Pearlman
>>Greg Lentz
>>JHB
>>James Farrar
>>Jeff Chung
>>Booroojian
>>BenF802961
>>Paul Lujan
>>Ben Hitz
>>Sam Francisco Gomez

>>Tim Irvin
>>JW4SM
>>Maria
>>Edith
>>Ethan Powell
>>Felix Theonugraha
>>John Gutierrez
>>Anson
>>Andy Wiesner

What kind a list is this? Blackwells???
I guess I am honored to be on it.

Lee Roberts

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
jvv...@aol.com (JVV4sm) wrote:

>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus -- it bounced "unknown user"

That's because "Jen" is actually Noah Hidder, as I pointed out in a
post a few days ago. Look at the headers of a "Jennifer" post and
compare them to a Noah post.

Of course, the next step is to killfile both idiots.
Rev. Lee A. Roberts, ULC |"'cause I'm praying for rain

Sam Francisco Gomez

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
l...@tlpbbs.dyn.ml.org (Lee Roberts) writes:

>jvv...@aol.com (JVV4sm) wrote:

>>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus -- it bounced "unknown user"

>That's because "Jen" is actually Noah Hidder, as I pointed out in a
>post a few days ago. Look at the headers of a "Jennifer" post and
>compare them to a Noah post.

>Of course, the next step is to killfile both idiots.

Done and done, thanks to your powers of observation.

>Rev. Lee A. Roberts, ULC |"'cause I'm praying for rain
>Linux -- choice of a GNU generation! | I'm praying for tidal waves
>http://www.inficad.com/~lroberts | I wanna see the ground give way
>finger lrob...@inficad.com for PGP key | I wanna watch it all go down..."

Sam

JVV4sm

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
>>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus --
>>it bounced "unknown user"
>

>Why are you wasting bandwidth?

Because i'm exposing you, Noah. Don't use "bandwidth" as an excuse. You could
have saved bandwidth and emailed you complaint to me.

JVV4sm

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
>>You gotta admit, all trolls have one thing in
>>common: They learn pretty
>>quick to modify their names to avoid killfiles.
>

>Why are you wasting bandwidth with this
>nonsense?

Jenny, you forgot to modify your reply-to.

Noah Hidder

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <371c93c1....@client.sw.news.psi.net>,
l...@tlpbbs.dyn.ml.org (Lee Roberts) wrote:

>jvv...@aol.com (JVV4sm) wrote:
>
>>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus -- it
bounced "unknown user"

>That's because "Jen" is actually Noah Hidder, as I pointed
out in a
>post a few days ago. Look at the headers of a "Jennifer"
post and
>compare them to a Noah post.
>
>Of course, the next step is to killfile both idiots.

Please stop wasting bandwidth with this nonsense.
If you're not discussing baseball, please do what
you think is right and be quiet about it.

Noah Hidder

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <cfgFAH...@netcom.com>,

c...@netcom.com (Sam Francisco Gomez) wrote:
>l...@tlpbbs.dyn.ml.org (Lee Roberts) writes:
>
>>jvv...@aol.com (JVV4sm) wrote:
>
>>>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus -- it
bounced "unknown user"

>>That's because "Jen" is actually Noah Hidder, as I pointed
out in a
>>post a few days ago. Look at the headers of a "Jennifer"
post and
>>compare them to a Noah post.
>
>>Of course, the next step is to killfile both idiots.
>
>Done and done, thanks to your powers of observation.

Please stop wasting bandwidth cheerleading each
other with this nonsense. Either discuss baseball
or please leave.

Noah Hidder

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <19990420144211...@ng-ch1.aol.com>,

jvv...@aol.com (JVV4sm) wrote:
>>>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus --
>>>it bounced "unknown user"
>>

>>Why are you wasting bandwidth?
>
>Because i'm exposing you, Noah. Don't use "bandwidth" as an
excuse. You could
>have saved bandwidth and emailed you complaint to me.

If you're not discussing baseball, please leave.

Anson

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
On 20 Apr 1999 11:06:04 GMT, noah...@nasspam.com (Noah Hidder) wrote:

>In article <371c...@news1.jps.net>,
> "Anson" <Gia...@PacBellPark.com> wrote:
>>

>>You gotta admit, all trolls have one thing in
>>common: They learn pretty
>>quick to modify their names to avoid killfiles.
>

>Why are you wasting bandwidth with this
>nonsense?

Sorry Noah. I ask for your forgiveness.

Brian Perry

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99

Roger's here.

Brian

Anson

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
On 20 Apr 1999 11:05:08 GMT, noah...@nasspam.com (Noah Hidder) wrote:

>In article <19990420051647...@ng-ch1.aol.com>,

> jvv...@aol.com (JVV4sm) wrote:
>

>>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus --
>>it bounced "unknown user"
>

>Why are you wasting bandwidth?

Uh oh, she changed back to Noah!

Anson

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99

Yeah man, what's this list about?

JVV4sm

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
>>>Here's a shocker --- Jennifer's email is bogus -- it
>bounced "unknown user"
>>
>>That's because "Jen" is actually Noah Hidder, as I pointed
>out in a
>>post a few days ago. Look at the headers of a "Jennifer"
>post and
>>compare them to a Noah post.
>>
>>Of course, the next step is to killfile both idiots.
>

>Please stop wasting bandwidth with this nonsense.
>If you're not discussing baseball, please do what
>you think is right and be quiet about it.

That had nothing to do with baseball, Jenny.

James Farrar

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99

Noah Hidder wrote:

> If you're not discussing baseball, please leave.

Hi Kettle, meet Pot.