Spook kills pigger over parking spot

Kay

Oct 18, 2010, 6:15:30 PM10/18/10
http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/crime_checker/baltimore_city_crime/baltimore-city-detective-killed-in-dispute-over-parking-spot

BALTIMORE - Police tape is left near a private parking lot in Canton.
Officers swarmed the area just after 10 p.m. Saturday, when off-duty
Detective Brian Stevenson was involved in an argument.

Mary Luedtke heard the commotion.

"We were watching television and we heard some arguing outside," said
Luedtke. "There was just all kinds of police officers everywhere," she said.

Baltimore police say Detective Stevenson, an 18-year veteran, was out
with a friend celebrating his birthday in Canton. He pulled his car into
a parking lot on Hudson St., when investigators say he met 25-year-old
Sian James and began to argue over a space.

Charging documents say James threw a fist-sized portion of concrete at
Detective Stevenson, hitting his head. He was taken to Johns Hopkins
Bayview and pronounced dead just 35 minutes later.

"That's ridiculous," said Luedtke.

A short time later, police caught up with James at a club and charged
him with murder. James is not new to the system; he was released on a
$150,000 bail on September 12th, after being charged with attempted
rape, third and fourth degree sex offense, and assault.

On Detective Stevenson's Facebook page, comments are coming in from
friends, like one from David Maynard: "Peaceful journey! You won't be
forgotten because you left a great impression on those who were lucky
enough to have met you."

Commissioner Bealefeld released a statement, saying "Detective Stevenson
was a good man, a good investigator and a great public servant to the
people of Baltimore."

After 18 years of crime fighting, his life is ultimately taken over what
Bealefeld says is something as truly petty as a parking space.

"It's sad, it really is, because there's no reason to die like that,"
said Melinda Cook, who lives nearby the crime scene.

We made contact with Detective Stevenson's family, but they were not
ready to give a public statement.

The state's attorney's office says Sian James is not eligible for bail.
He faces several charges, including first and second degree murder.