2007 draft signings

BadgerBC

Aug 12, 2007, 12:50:48 AM8/12/07
As many of you know the deadline is Aug.15 this year. There's been a
lot of noise that the Yanks have agreed to terms with many of this
year's top picks. Since most of them are above-slot signings, the
commissioner's office probably has been holding these contracts
hostage until now. We should be hearing announcements very soon.
Just to review:

1. Andrew Brackman, P

Keith Law yesterday mentioned a source who told him the Yanks had
agreed to a 3 mil deal (way above slot as Kennedy received 2.2 mil).
It's interesting that Rick Porcello hasn't agreed to terms with the
Tigers either (and he along with Brackman were considered top pitching
prospects this June). Chances are Brackman probably will have a TJ
surgery soon after the signing (I'm not gnixnij here). However,
Opppenheimer believed him to be among the top two pitching prospects
this season. The Yanks have the money and patience in abundance now.
I think a Chris Young with upper 90s fb seems like a good comparison
(which translates to very high ceiling)

2. Austin Romine, C

He's rumored to have agreed to a contract already. After Jesus
Montero last July, Romine heads a group of talented catcher prospects
the Yanks have accumulated this June-July.

4. Bradley Suttle, 3B

Probably the top position prospect drafted this year. Several
observers (Goldstein, Callis) have stated that the Yanks have agreed
to terms already. Perhaps the fact that Suttle pulled out of Cape Cod
is a confirmation as he probably didn't want to risk injury. Baseball
America called him the best pure hitting prospect in the draft.

6. Chase Weems, C

Agreed to a deal already but waiting the league's approval. Cashman
certainly seems to believe that quantity has quality all its own.
Let's hope someone emerges from this year's group (Luccien,
Rodriguez). They also have Cervelli and Montero.

8. Taylor Grote, OF

Talented HS kid who played at top level of competition. Apparently
he's agreed to a deal and is waiting for the league's approval.

10. Carmen Angelini, SS

He's a very talented HS prospect who had committed to Rice. However,
there have been strong indications that he agreed to a deal. Cashman
and the Yanks recruited him heavily (brought him around to the Stadium
and had him work out with the team).

All these kids are rumored to have agreed to above-slot deals.

Kids who probably won't sign:

18. Chris Carpenter, P

Big time power arm who likely will undergo TJ surgery. He was injured
in Cape Cod and pulled out of competition. Usually the Yanks tend to
weight Cape Cod performance heavily (Kontos, Norton, Robertson, etc.),
but this kid might be worth a strong consideration anyway. He's a
sophomore eligible so Chris could go back to Kent State. However, if
he blows out his arm this fall or next spring, he'd be looking at very
low selection next June if not UFA...all on his own. One thing he
could count on is that the Yanks aren't going to spare expenses in
terms of rehab. Perhaps something could be worked out. As I've been
pointing out for years, this is where a team like the Yanks enjoy
inordinate advantage versus a team like the A's. The Yanks could
spread around the wealth among a bunch of power arms and select the
cream of the crop via attrition. When you consider that Jaret Wright
cost 7mil per and Pavano costs 10mil, 6mil (last year's draft
expenditure) is money well spent.

24. Greg Peavey, P

A HS draftee with commitment to Oregon State. I doubt he'll sign but
he's a nice power arm

34. Drew Storen, P

Another HS pitcher with promising arm. Bad news is he's committed to
Stanford who never loses a scholarship player. I strongly doubt he'll
sign

35. Greg Holle, P/OF

He's committed to TCU, but we'll have to see.

45. Paul Venditte, P*

My favorite pick this year as he is a switch-pitcher. He's likely to
return to Creighton

Erasmus "The Mannequin" Brown

Aug 12, 2007, 1:39:20 AM8/12/07

"BadgerBC" <neilricha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: As many of you know the deadline is Aug.15 this year. There's been a

: lot of noise that the Yanks have agreed to terms with many of this
: year's top picks. Since most of them are above-slot signings, the
: commissioner's office probably has been holding these contracts
: hostage until now. We should be hearing announcements very soon.
: Just to review:
: :
: Kids who probably won't sign:

:
: 18. Chris Carpenter, P
:
[...]

I was hoping they'd get him.

Thermos

Aug 12, 2007, 10:27:17 AM8/12/07

I read on PP that Romine, Brackman and Weems are all in Tampa already,
working out. I would love to be surprised and see Peavy and Carpenter
sign.

Thermos

Aug 12, 2007, 10:30:54 AM8/12/07
On Aug 12, 12:50 am, BadgerBC <neilrichardson3...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 24. Greg Peavey, P
>
> A HS draftee with commitment to Oregon State. I doubt he'll sign but
> he's a nice power arm

"Peavey, ranked 34th on Baseball America's 2007 prospects list, is
said to be a third-round talent who fell in the draft in part because
agent Scott Boras - a tough negotiator who often recommends college to
his clients - has acted as his adviser. The word is Peavey wants at
least a high six-figure bonus from the Yankees to sign."

Thermos

Aug 12, 2007, 10:40:19 AM8/12/07
On Aug 12, 12:50 am, BadgerBC <neilrichardson3...@yahoo.com> wrote:

"the Yankees have agreed on several above-slot deals, including around
$1 million for fourth-round pick Brad Suttle, and somewhere between
$750-900,000 for tenth-round pick Carmen Angelini." From Goldstein's
article last week about the over-slot holdup. It would be nice to
include Peavy in that group, but I won't be surprised if most of the
over-slot money this year is allocated to position prospects and not
pitchers after picking up Joba and Kennedy last year.

BadgerBC

Aug 12, 2007, 12:37:15 PM8/12/07

Same here. I'm not sure about Peavey, but perhaps Carpenter signing
might be possible. I think he hurt his elbow in Cape Cod

Thermos

Aug 12, 2007, 7:19:20 PM8/12/07

If Peavey wants high 6 figures, they ought to seriously consider it, as
I assume they have.

BadgerBC

Aug 12, 2007, 7:50:15 PM8/12/07
On Aug 12, 4:19 pm, Thermos <cfb...@adelphia.net> wrote:

> BadgerBC wrote:
>
> > Same here. I'm not sure about Peavey, but perhaps Carpenter signing
> > might be possible. I think he hurt his elbow in Cape Cod
>
> If Peavey wants high 6 figures, they ought to seriously consider it, as
> I assume they have

I think they did make a serious offer to no avail. Oh well

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/08112007news181824.cfm

Thermos

Aug 12, 2007, 8:38:51 PM8/12/07

Best of luck to him. He said they weren't far apart, so money wasn't
the issue. Maybe they'll pick him again in a couple of years.

kc...@roadrunner.com

Aug 13, 2007, 6:27:57 PM8/13/07
On Aug 12, 12:50 am, BadgerBC <neilrichardson3...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Don't know who came up with the info on Chris Carpenter that he needs
or may need TJ surgery, but that is untrue. He has had TJ surgery in
the past but left the Cape because he was on a temporary contract only
(July 1) and had a very minor sprain there. He is fine and has been
throwing again after taking a week off. He did not need any medical
intervention.