Yanks must stay in the Bronx

1 view

andrew mckeever

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
I'm tired of steinbrenner playing games with the fans and the city.
Sure, parking at the Stadium is no fun, and getting out after a crowded
( are you reading this george?) game is even less. But the Yankees
without Yankee Stadium aren't the Yankees. Period. So shut up George,
about all the issues that are really non-issues. Security is not a
problem. It's the safest place to be in New York. And it's a cool
neighborhood. I've been going to the stadium since the fifties, have
seen it change, but it has always been fun! Fix the parking, build some
skyboxes if you must, but LEAVE THE YANKEES IN THE BRONX!
The Greatest Yankee fan in Vermont - surrounded by Red Sox loving
hillbillies

C0m DaTa

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
> Fix the parking, build some
>skyboxes if you must, but LEAVE THE YANKEES IN THE BRONX
>The Greatest Yankee fan in Vermont - surrounded by Red Sox loving
>hillbillies

As I've said before, the best thing to do is put a stop at yankee stadium on
the commuter train (Metro-North). The expense should be minimal since the
train runs right past the park. Since many Yankee fans have migrated north
(Not as far as Vermont of course), this would make it so convenient to see a
game without worrying about parking, etc.

Kenny

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

andrew mckeever wrote in message <35A57648...@sover.net>...
>I'm tired of steinbrenner playing games with the fans and the city.
>Sure, parking at the Stadium is no fun, and getting out after a crowded
>( are you reading this george?) game is even less.

Thats just the point, isn't it?  The corporate suits and work-day fans in Manhattan would much rather amble across town to W34th street, where they can catch the subway, LIRR, NJ Transit, and get home in no time flat!

But the Yankees
>without Yankee Stadium aren't the Yankees. Period.

Absolute Rubbish....the Jets and Giants are still the same ......the Reds still the Reds, The Phillies still the Phillies, The White Sox still the White Sox, after moving to newer, more modern ballparks.  So will be the case with the Yankees.

So shut up George,
>about all the issues that are really non-issues. Security is not a
>problem. It's the safest place to be in New York.

Maybe, as long as the city is fiscally able to flood this no-mans-land with cops on game days.  How much time would you spend in this "cool" neighborhood on a regular weeknight at 11:30 when there is no ballgame?

And it's a cool
>neighborhood. I've been going to the stadium since the fifties, have
>seen it change, but it has always been fun!

Fix the parking,

How do you do this?  The only way to do it is to ADD MORE OF IT, by displacing current residents.  A politically incorrect move to be sure.

build some
>skyboxes if you must, but LEAVE THE YANKEES IN THE BRONX!

They're moving to Manhattan or NJ.....Get used to it.

Number 1 Fan

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
I dont know what you said, but it hurt to pop it up on my monitor! ;)

Constance Felice

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

Fix the parking,

----------
So you think getting to Yankee Stadium in Manhattan for a 7:30 game on week
night would be any easier than going to the Bronx? It would be a nightmare!
(especially for the legions of fans in NJ and Conn.) The Yankees leaving
the Bronx is not the same as the Giants or Jets. Babe Ruth didn't play for
the Giants. The Yankees are the most widely recognized sports franchise in
the world and it is because of their history. Yankees are not Yankees
unless they stand on the same ground as the greatest stars baseball has
ever produced, period. Don't compare the Yanks with any other franchise,
they are in a different league. As they say, the Bronx is the home office
of baseball.

Joe F

Goldenhawk 98

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

andrew mckeever wrote in message <35A57648...@sover.net>...

>The Greatest Yankee fan in Vermont - surrounded by Red Sox loving
>hillbillies

I feel sorry for you. I went to New Hampshire once, they ALL love the Red
Sux. NH trailor trash.

VPaterno

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
>As I've said before, the best thing to do is put a stop at yankee stadium on
>the commuter train (Metro-North). The expense should be minimal since the
>train runs right past the park. Since many Yankee fans have migrated north
>(Not as far as Vermont of course), this would make it so convenient to see a
>game without worrying about parking, etc.

I doubt a Metro-North stop, though convenient for some, would have any
appreciable effect on attendance for a few reasons:

1. It would serve only riders of the Hudson Line. Those on the New Haven or
Harlem Lines would have to change at 125th Street.

2. Most games are played on nights or weekends, when there is relatively sparse
service.

3. The Mets have had a similar stop (on the LIRR's Port Washington Line) since
Shea Stadium opened; I occasionally use it to get to Penn Station for
connections after a night game. And while many people use it (changing at
Woodside to connect to the other LIRR lines, just as Metro-North riders would
have to change at 125th Street), I don't think it boosts Mets attendance
drastically.

I'm not saying the Metro-North stop shouldn't be built; anything that gives a
customer more mass transit options is fine in my book (and that includes the NY
Waterway ferry service). I'm just maintaining that putting a station stop there
will not solve all the Yankees' attendance woes, and should not be seen as a
panacea.

Goldenhawk 98

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
But, the thing is the Yankee reputation (as long as they'll keep this
winning up) as the greatest sports franchise in history won't change if they
move.

The Montreal Canadiens, argueably the greatest hockey franchise in history.
They moved out of the old Forum into the Molson Centre.

The Boston Celtics, one of the great franchises in basketball. They had to
move out of the Garden and into the Fleet Center.

The Lakers will move from the Forum into the Staples Center.

(notice all these new arenas are "centers" and they're named after a
commercial institution)

If a stadium or arena is deteriorating, getting to the place is a nightmare,
it should be time for the team owner to move!

It happened to all these teams.
The Detroit Tigers, second winningest team in AL history (behind the Yankks,
of coarse) They have a new stadium under construction. Obviously Tiger
Stadium is very historic. Don't think that the owner of the Tigers didn't
think about the history of Tiger Stadium and if it was right to move the
tigers out of the stadium or not. Of course he did.

Someday the Red Sux will move out of Fenway.

Michael Willency

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

Jackass Guiliani wants the schools to be run by private corporations,
but wants the city to pay for a baseball field. Does that seem
backwards to you? What happened to all those in the corporate
community that Guiliani said can pitch in for the ballpark. Why is he
pushing for taxpayer funding? Let 100 businesses by a 1% share in the
ballpark and so be it. Only thing is he wouldn't be able to give his
pal Steinbrenner a free stadium.

piper

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:50:33 -0400, "Goldenhawk 98"
<golde...@erols.com> wrote:
[snip]

>If a stadium or arena is deteriorating, getting to the place is a nightmare,
>it should be time for the team owner to move!
[snip]

Where are you living? It's a cinch to get to the Stadium by subway.

And OK, so if they really do have to build a new stadium, how about a
near-replica right next to the current one, in the sand lot, with the
beautiful sections of old fence included in the new stadium?

You folks who think it's a good idea to build a stadium in midtown
Manhattan are off the wall, in my opinion. How do you spell gridlock
to the nth power?

Michael

piper

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On 10 Jul 1998 13:49:07 GMT, vpat...@aol.com (VPaterno) wrote:

>>As I've said before, the best thing to do is put a stop at yankee stadium on
>>the commuter train (Metro-North). The expense should be minimal since the
>>train runs right past the park. Since many Yankee fans have migrated north
>>(Not as far as Vermont of course), this would make it so convenient to see a
>>game without worrying about parking, etc.
>
>I doubt a Metro-North stop, though convenient for some, would have any
>appreciable effect on attendance for a few reasons:
>
>1. It would serve only riders of the Hudson Line. Those on the New Haven or
>Harlem Lines would have to change at 125th Street.

There could be special trains from Grand Central on game days. Anyway,
if those fans are too lazy to even change trains, forget about them!
What do we have to do, beam them down?

>2. Most games are played on nights or weekends, when there is relatively sparse
>service.

Again, special trains can be run on game days. Plus, train service
into Grand Central isn't THAT sparse! Once an hour or something is the
price you pay for living in the suburbs.

>3. The Mets have had a similar stop (on the LIRR's Port Washington Line) since
>Shea Stadium opened; I occasionally use it to get to Penn Station for
>connections after a night game. And while many people use it (changing at
>Woodside to connect to the other LIRR lines, just as Metro-North riders would
>have to change at 125th Street), I don't think it boosts Mets attendance
>drastically.

I tend to disagree. On game nights, many people come from the North
Shore to Shea using the LIRR. In the same way, a lot of people would
probably train it down to the Stadium. New Yorkers, on the other hand,
will almost always save money and take subways.

>I'm not saying the Metro-North stop shouldn't be built; anything that gives a
>customer more mass transit options is fine in my book (and that includes the NY
>Waterway ferry service). I'm just maintaining that putting a station stop there
>will not solve all the Yankees' attendance woes, and should not be seen as a
>panacea.

What attendance woes? They're going to set a record for attendance
this year.

Michael

C0m DaTa

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

>Where are you living? It's a cinch to get to the Stadium by subway

Let me be straight. Most fans of the Yankees who could afford to go to the
games on a regular basis live outside New York City. (I don't mean the fans who
go to one or two games a year) These people will not get on a NYC subway after
a game (often 11 pm). They NEED that metro-north train either north or into
Grand Central to change trains.

Most people up here that are not near the Hudson line are willing to travel by
car from their homes to the nearest Hudson-line stop, even if they live 20
miles away near the Harlem line.

Being a Yankee fan in Poughkeepsie, I am tired of the endless conversations
with my friends as to who wants to drive to the Bronx and risk their car , find
parking, fight traffic out of the stadium, etc. A nice safe train ride in and
out would make the whole event such an enjoyable experience we would probably
go to 5 to 10 games a year instead of 2 or 3

Constance Felice

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

> Being a Yankee fan in Poughkeepsie, I am tired of the endless
conversations
> with my friends as to who wants to drive to the Bronx and risk their car
, find
> parking, fight traffic out of the stadium, etc. A nice safe train ride
in and
> out would make the whole event such an enjoyable experience we would
probably
> go to 5 to 10 games a year instead of 2 or 3

Apparently, you all are a bunch of fraidy-cats. Worry about your car?
Don't park it on the street, put it in a lot. Traffic leaving the stadium?
What stadium/arena doesn't have traffic when 50,000 people are leaving at
the same time? You sound like the guy who sits behind me and tells me to
sit down when the Yanks score a run.

Boo!!!!

Joe F

Kenny

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

piper wrote in message <35a6fe8e...@news.interport.net>...
>On 10 Jul 1998 13:49:07 GMT, vpat...@aol.com (VPaterno) wrote:
>
>>>As I've said before, the best thing to do is put a stop at yankee stadium on
>>>the commuter train (Metro-North).  The expense should be minimal since the
>>>train runs right past the park.  Since many Yankee fans have migrated north
>>>(Not as far as Vermont of course), this would make it so convenient to see a
>>>game without worrying about parking, etc.
>>
>>I doubt a Metro-North stop, though convenient for some, would have any
>>appreciable effect on attendance for a few reasons:

I Agree.  A metro north stop does nothing for the huge number of yankee fans in Brooklyn, Staten Island, New Jersey, Queens, and Long Island, all of whom would be better served by the New Yankee Stadium in NJ.  Even Manhattan Fans would do better, if light rail service (which will be part of the package) is provided from mid-town.

>>1. It would serve only riders of the Hudson Line. Those on the New Haven or
>>Harlem Lines would have to change at 125th Street.
>
>There could be special trains from Grand Central on game days. Anyway,
>if those fans are too lazy to even change trains, forget about them!
>What do we have to do, beam them down?

Do you see the LIRR running special trains for the Mets on game days?  What makes you think the MTA would provide this service for one team and not another?

>2. Most games are played on nights or weekends, when there is relatively sparse
>>service.
>
>Again, special trains can be run on game days. Plus, train service
>into Grand Central isn't THAT sparse! Once an hour or something is the
>price you pay for living in the suburbs.

Well, how do you propose that NJ Transit Riders and LIRR riders change trains at Grand Central.....and no, Mr. Arrogant suburb-hater, YOU are the one who will lose yet another team and make the trek.

Kenny

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

C0m DaTa wrote in message <199807120402...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>>Where are you living? It's a cinch to get to the Stadium by subway
>
>Let me be straight.  Most fans of the Yankees who could afford to go to the
>games on a regular basis live outside New York City. (I don't mean the fans who
>go to one or two games a year) These people will not get on a NYC subway after
>a game (often 11 pm).  They NEED that metro-north train either north or into
>Grand Central to change trains.
>
>Most people up here that are not near the Hudson line are willing to travel by
>car from their homes to the nearest Hudson-line stop, even if they live 20
>miles away near the Harlem line.
>
>Being a Yankee fan in Poughkeepsie, I am tired of the endless conversations
>with my friends as to who wants to drive to the Bronx and risk their car , find
>parking, fight traffic out of the stadium, etc.  A nice safe train ride in and
>out would make the whole event such an enjoyable experience we would probably
>go to 5 to 10 games a year instead of 2 or 3

You're right, the people who go to many games a year are upper income and corporate people.....sounds like you might be one of them.  And, if that is the case, wouldn't you rather train it in to the city, have a nice pre-game dinner anywhere you like in Manhattan, and stroll into the stadium?  Sounds like a better proposition that beans y frijoles from a sidewalk vendor in the Bronx (even though I love beans y frijoles!!!!).

Kenny

Kenny

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Joe,

What's an easier escape for a 50,000 plus crowd, the meadowlands (which
feeds multiple six lane highways), or the two lanes in each direction major
deegan and city streets? Be honest, Yankee Stadium will always be a
nightmarish drive....and most fans come by car.

Kenny

Constance Felice wrote in message <6o9m3i$r...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>> Being a Yankee fan in Poughkeepsie, I am tired of the endless
>conversations
>> with my friends as to who wants to drive to the Bronx and risk their car
>, find
>> parking, fight traffic out of the stadium, etc. A nice safe train ride
>in and
>> out would make the whole event such an enjoyable experience we would
>probably
>> go to 5 to 10 games a year instead of 2 or 3

Constance Felice

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

Kenny <ken...@SPAMseductive.com> wrote in article
<B22q1.147$RO5.7...@news.rdc1.nj.home.com>...

> Joe,
>
> What's an easier escape for a 50,000 plus crowd, the meadowlands (which
> feeds multiple six lane highways), or the two lanes in each direction
major
> deegan and city streets? Be honest, Yankee Stadium will always be a
> nightmarish drive....and most fans come by car.
>
> Kenny

Uh... I have been to quite a few a Giants games in my life. True there may
be many more highways leaving from the Meadowlands, but that means nothing
when it takes you an hour to get out of the parking lot. I sit in traffic
much longer leaving from Giants games than I do from Yankee games.... much
longer. Driving around Manhattan @ rush hour is a bigger nightmare than
both... can you imagine what rush hour will be like with baseball games
every night? Forget ever seeing the first two innings unless you get into
Manhattan before 5pm. And don't talk about taking trains to the West Side
at rush hour.... there will be a couple million people trying to do the
same thing at the same time.

Joe F

rjbe...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Why is Giuliani being so cheap? Why stop at buying a new stadium for
George? The least NYC could do is to pick up the payroll for a few years
too. What are friends for anyway? If we want George to make a buck, we
should do all we can.

And just to be consistent and fair, the taxpayers of NYC should foot the bill
the next time some company like Merrill Lynch or Goldman or CBS or whoever
decides they need a new office building. Both the Yankees and any NYC company
are nothing more than businesses and both need a place to conduct their
business. If the taxpayers build a place of business for the Yankees or Mets
or Rangers or whoever, then in fairness, they should build a place of
business for any company. I realize the Yankees are huge money makers for NYC
and they help keep our tax rates so low, but I also think companies like
Goldman or NBC or whoever also help out a little bit and should be treated
the same. Imagine - poor Donald Trump has been happy all these years just
getting tax abatements and all from NYC, when he should have been holding out
to get the city to completely buy and build stuff like Trump Tower for him!

In article <6o603p$9...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,

hardwa...@worldnet.att.net (Michael Willency) wrote:

> Jackass Guiliani wants the schools to be run by private corporations,
> but wants the city to pay for a baseball field. Does that seem
> backwards to you? What happened to all those in the corporate
> community that Guiliani said can pitch in for the ballpark. Why is he
> pushing for taxpayer funding? Let 100 businesses by a 1% share in the
> ballpark and so be it. Only thing is he wouldn't be able to give his
> pal Steinbrenner a free stadium.
>

> On 10 Jul 1998 13:49:07 GMT, vpat...@aol.com (VPaterno) wrote:
>
> >>As I've said before, the best thing to do is put a stop at yankee stadium on
> >>the commuter train (Metro-North). The expense should be minimal since the
> >>train runs right past the park. Since many Yankee fans have migrated north
> >>(Not as far as Vermont of course), this would make it so convenient to see a
> >>game without worrying about parking, etc.
> >
> >I doubt a Metro-North stop, though convenient for some, would have any
> >appreciable effect on attendance for a few reasons:
> >

> >1. It would serve only riders of the Hudson Line. Those on the New Haven or
> >Harlem Lines would have to change at 125th Street.
> >

> >2. Most games are played on nights or weekends, when there is relatively
sparse
> >service.
> >

> >3. The Mets have had a similar stop (on the LIRR's Port Washington Line)
since
> >Shea Stadium opened; I occasionally use it to get to Penn Station for
> >connections after a night game. And while many people use it (changing at
> >Woodside to connect to the other LIRR lines, just as Metro-North riders would
> >have to change at 125th Street), I don't think it boosts Mets attendance
> >drastically.
> >

> >I'm not saying the Metro-North stop shouldn't be built; anything that gives a
> >customer more mass transit options is fine in my book (and that includes the
NY
> >Waterway ferry service). I'm just maintaining that putting a station stop
there
> >will not solve all the Yankees' attendance woes, and should not be seen as a
> >panacea.

Mario P. Labot Jr.

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

Michael Willency wrote:

> Jackass Guiliani wants the schools to be run by private corporations,
> but wants the city to pay for a baseball field. Does that seem
> backwards to you? What happened to all those in the corporate
> community that Guiliani said can pitch in for the ballpark. Why is he
> pushing for taxpayer funding?

Don't forget that bunker that Rudyb wants to build in the World Trade Center.

--
Mario P. Labot Jr.
ICQ# 11280672 "Dude, this is pretty f**ked up right here."

Mario P. Labot Jr.

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

Constance Felice wrote:

> Absolute Rubbish....the Jets and Giants are still the same ......the Reds
> still the Reds, The Phillies still the Phillies, The White Sox still the
> White Sox, after moving to newer, more modern ballparks. So will be the
> case with the Yankees.

Are the White Sox packing in the house at New Comiskey Park? HELL NO!

> They're moving to Manhattan or NJ.....Get used to it.

Dude, you've been eating too many Freezy Pops and hence your brain is frozen
hippie!!!

kenn...@aol.com

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
In article <199807120402...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, c0m...@aol.com (C0m DaTa) wrote:

>>Where are you living? It's a cinch to get to the Stadium by subway
>
>Let me be straight. Most fans of the Yankees who could afford to go to the
>games on a regular basis live outside New York City. (I don't mean the fans who
>go to one or two games a year) These people will not get on a NYC subway after
>a game (often 11 pm). They NEED that metro-north train either north or into
>Grand Central to change trains.
>
>Most people up here that are not near the Hudson line are willing to travel by
>car from their homes to the nearest Hudson-line stop, even if they live 20
>miles away near the Harlem line.
>
>Being a Yankee fan in Poughkeepsie, I am tired of the endless conversations
>with my friends as to who wants to drive to the Bronx and risk their car , find
>parking, fight traffic out of the stadium, etc. A nice safe train ride in and
>out would make the whole event such an enjoyable experience we would probably
>go to 5 to 10 games a year instead of 2 or 3

Why don't you find another driving route...I'll admit I only go a few times a
year, but I have been to games with 50,000-55,000 and had NO problem AT ALL w/
traffic.

kenn...@aol.com

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
In article <B22q1.147$RO5.7...@news.rdc1.nj.home.com>, "Kenny" <ken...@SPAMseductive.com> wrote:
>Joe,
>
>What's an easier escape for a 50,000 plus crowd, the meadowlands (which
>feeds multiple six lane highways), or the two lanes in each direction major
>deegan and city streets? Be honest, Yankee Stadium will always be a
>nightmarish drive....and most fans come by car.
>
>Kenny

It's not as bad as everyone says...they just go the WRONG WAY

Seth Jackson

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On Tue, 14 Jul 98 01:53:44 GMT, kenn...@aol.com wrote:

I used to drive in from Jersey, and I used to get there reasonably quickly
without my car ever coming into contact with the Deegan. I suppose that if
everyone took the Cross-Bronx Expwy and got off at the Jerome Ave. exit, it
might get pretty congested, so I won't divulge this secret. ;^)

Only problem was the ever-present window washers at the stop light. The kind
that wash your windows whether you want them to or not and then demand payment.
I don't know why they bother washing windows, since they attack you anyway if
you don't pay them.

--
Seth Jackson's Songwriting and Music Business Page -
http://www.mindspring.com/~hitmeister

*Songwriting and the Music Business, plus Los Angeles "Country Notes"*

Cyrus Afzali

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On 12 Jul 1998 04:02:25 GMT, c0m...@aol.com (C0m DaTa) wrote:

>>Where are you living? It's a cinch to get to the Stadium by subway
>
>Let me be straight. Most fans of the Yankees who could afford to go to the
>games on a regular basis live outside New York City. (I don't mean the fans who
>go to one or two games a year) These people will not get on a NYC subway after
>a game (often 11 pm). They NEED that metro-north train either north or into
>Grand Central to change trains.

I believe you're overstating the importance of suburban fans here a
little bit. It's true that NYC has a lot of people that are far from
affluent. It's also true that there are more wealthy people here than
anywhere else in the country and even the middle class is doing very
well in this economy.

When the going rate for a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan is north
of $1,500 a month and those apartments aren't staying empty, then I'd
say there are quite a few people who can afford to go on a regular
basis.

My wife and I aren't exactly wealthy, but we catch at least 4 games a
year and would do more if it weren't for my crazy work schedule.

Wretch

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Cyrus Afzali wrote:

> When the going rate for a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan is north
> of $1,500 a month and those apartments aren't staying empty, then I'd
> say there are quite a few people who can afford to go on a regular
> basis.

You said it. Given the trouble I've had finding new
lodgings in Manhattan, all I can say is HELLO BROOKLYN!

Incidentally, I assume Brooklyn is out of the question for
a new stadium?

AC

piper

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On 12 Jul 1998 04:02:25 GMT, c0m...@aol.com (C0m DaTa) wrote:

>>Where are you living? It's a cinch to get to the Stadium by subway
>
>Let me be straight. Most fans of the Yankees who could afford to go to the
>games on a regular basis live outside New York City. (I don't mean the fans who
>go to one or two games a year) These people will not get on a NYC subway after
>a game (often 11 pm). They NEED that metro-north train either north or into
>Grand Central to change trains.

[rest snipped]

I agree with you. That station should have been built a long time ago,
and it still should be built.

Michael

piper

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:29:34 GMT, "Kenny" <ken...@SPAMseductive.com>
wrote:

_Don't post in MIME format!_

Someone wrote:
>>>I doubt a Metro-North stop, though convenient for some, would have any
>>>appreciable effect on attendance for a few reasons:
>

>I Agree. A metro north stop does nothing for the huge number of yankee =
>fans in Brooklyn, Staten Island, New Jersey, Queens, and Long Island, =
>all of whom would be better served by the New Yankee Stadium in NJ. =

Let's get this straight: Fans from Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island
would be better served by a stadium in New Jersey than one closer to
them in the Bronx that many of them can get to fairly easily by
subway, or alternatively by driving without going through Manhattan?

>Even Manhattan Fans would do better, if light rail service (which will =

>be part of the package) is provided from mid-town.

That's crazy. It's a cinch to get to the Stadium from Manhattan. It'll
never be easier to go to the Meadowlands than to the Stadium.

[snip]

>>There could be special trains from Grand Central on game days. Anyway,
>>if those fans are too lazy to even change trains, forget about them!
>>What do we have to do, beam them down?
>

>Do you see the LIRR running special trains for the Mets on game days? =
[snip]

Yes. In fact, those special trains terminate at Shea.

>>2. Most games are played on nights or weekends, when there is =

>relatively sparse
>>>service.
>>
>>Again, special trains can be run on game days. Plus, train service
>>into Grand Central isn't THAT sparse! Once an hour or something is the
>>price you pay for living in the suburbs.
>

>Well, how do you propose that NJ Transit Riders and LIRR riders change =
>trains at Grand Central

First of all, we were talking about a Yankee Stadium stop on the
Harlem Line of Metro-North. You can't have everything.

But your answer is:

No, they can change for the 8th Avenue Line at Penn Station.

>.....and no, Mr. Arrogant suburb-hater,
[snip]

What's this bull? The fact is that if you choose to live in the
suburbs where train service into the city is sparce, that's your tough
luck. Life is a series of choices. It may be worth it to you to have
your own house and lawn and live 1 hour from the city in a place with
sparce train service on weekends. That's your call. If you want to
complain about it, write NJ Transit, your Congressman or the Dog
Catcher. Don't bitch and whine to me. I can't change the circumstances
of your life. :-)

> YOU are =

>the one who will lose yet another team and make the trek.

If the Yankees move out of New York, I'll never root for them again.
Then it'll be Let's Go Mets. :(

Michael