Lifeless

*ernie

Oct 10, 2022, 12:31:59 AM10/10/22
Best word I can think of to describe tonight's elimination game. 100+
wins for nothing. Season over, wait till next year (Again).

--
ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

Hass

Oct 10, 2022, 6:38:22 AM10/10/22
Brutal to watch...Bassitt's 7 pitch 1st inning was the highlight. After that, nothing. Cy Musgrove covered in Vaseline or whatever made them all look like bitches. Flashbacks to Mike Scott.

Blow it all up I guess...

tmp

Oct 10, 2022, 9:02:37 AM10/10/22
I turned it off after 7 innings. And I had never done that before in an elimination post season game.....ever.....but they deserved it.

> Blow it all up I guess...

I think it will pretty much blow itself up, given the free agent situations on the team, and the deGrom opt out. Then maybe they will actually do what Cohen said he would do when he bought the team. Build it from the ground up with their own players. Or expect more of the same.

tmp

Oct 10, 2022, 9:15:11 AM10/10/22
On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 9:02:37 AM UTC-4, tmp wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 6:38:22 AM UTC-4, Hass wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 11:31:59 PM UTC-5, *ernie wrote:
> > > Best word I can think of to describe tonight's elimination game. 100+
> > > wins for nothing. Season over, wait till next year (Again).
> > >

> > > --
> > > ernie k.
> > > already...@hotmail.com
> > Brutal to watch...Bassitt's 7 pitch 1st inning was the highlight. After that, nothing. Cy Musgrove covered in Vaseline or whatever made them all look like bitches. Flashbacks to Mike Scott.
> I turned it off after 7 innings. And I had never done that before in an elimination post season game.....ever.....but they deserved it.
> >
> > Blow it all up I guess...

To be more accurate, he actually said that he would do both; sign/trade for some big money players for now, but also put more emphasis on drafting and developing their own players. We have seen how the first part of that has worked out so far, so hopefully he will follow through on the latter part.

Ruben Safir

Oct 10, 2022, 3:01:10 PM10/10/22
*ernie <already...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Best word I can think of to describe tonight's elimination game. 100+
> wins for nothing. Season over, wait till next year (Again).

The team is just not that good and there isn't a single spot on the
Roste where SD was not better, other and defense.

Without a healthy Starlin Martin, there was little chance. Blame the
Cathcing and the 3rd Base positions and general age.

*ernie

Oct 10, 2022, 10:57:27 PM10/10/22
They should have the catcher issue resolved with Alvarez; I would keep Nido as my back-up. Escobar started hitting in September and October, the time when it matters most. I would keep him. They will definitely need a reliable DH, an established star with a few good years left in him. I hate to lose Nimmo but they'll survive without him. The pitching staff is a whole other story. That's a different post for a different day.

tmp

Oct 11, 2022, 7:29:25 AM10/11/22
Escobar is under contract for next year, and then there's a team option for 2024.

Here's a summary of the potential free agents (from a NY Times article yesterday):

"Several key players are eligible for free agency or could be based on options in their contracts: relievers Seth Lugo, Trevor May and Adam Ottavino; the star closer Edwin Díaz; Nimmo; and four-fifths of the starting rotation — Carlos Carrasco, Taijuan Walker, Bassitt and the ace Jacob deGrom, who has said he will exercise the opt-out clause in his contract extension."

I would pretty much consider deGrom gone.....even though Cohen will try his best to keep him. Just get the feeling he wants out. For the others, we'll see. Clearly, Diaz will be a priority.

*ernie

Oct 11, 2022, 6:23:43 PM10/11/22
I've read 3 columns today and all are predicting deGrom to Atlanta. If that's the case, I hope the Mets learn a lesson: stop babying these pitchers. The Mets go out of their way with surgeries and rehabs, and then wait months for the healing process. All the while, these guys are getting full pay. When they come back, again the team brings them back in increments. When it's finally complete, they leave the Mets for elsewhere. For now on, leaves these guys in there until they can't throw any more.

tmp

Oct 12, 2022, 7:42:55 AM10/12/22
Yeah, it's frustrating for fans to watch that, but basically all teams do it. It's 2022.....

Atlanta makes sense from deGrom's point of view, since they are a contending team fairly close to home for him (Florida). It remains to be seen though what the Braves will offer him. He's going to be 35 next year with a recent history of missing a lot of starts (2 half-seasons in a row), and demanding a lot of money. The Braves already have strong pitching, and have been trending towards developing their own players and signing them to long term deals before they hit free agency. So we'll see.

Popping Mad

Nov 4, 2022, 3:58:58 PM11/4/22
On 10/10/22 22:57, *ernie wrote:
> Escobar started hitting in September and October

that is a myth. Their 3rd base situaion was attrocious

Popping Mad

Nov 4, 2022, 3:59:39 PM11/4/22
On 10/11/22 18:23, *ernie wrote:
> I've read 3 columns today and all are predicting deGrom to Atlanta.

that is fine. It is time to put the 2015 Mets to bed and focus on youth
and a new team.

*ernie

Nov 6, 2022, 10:17:59 AM11/6/22
The number for September were pretty good, .340 8 hr 24 rbi
The playoffs, .333 1 hr 2 rbi

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30272/eduardo-escobar

Overall though, his season sucked.

Popping Mad

Nov 6, 2022, 5:15:22 PM11/6/22
On 11/6/22 10:17, *ernie wrote:
> .340 8 hr 24 rbi

No they were not good and he had a 295 ovberall OBP for the season.