Edwin Diaz expected to miss season with torn patellar tendon

*ernie

Mar 16, 2023, 3:47:32 PM3/16/23
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35873349/mets-edwin-diaz-expected-miss-season-torn-patellar-tendon

Why the Mets let any of their major league roster participate in the WBC
is beyond me.

--
ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

Popping Mad

Mar 16, 2023, 6:56:43 PM3/16/23
On 3/16/23 15:47, *ernie wrote:
> https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35873349/mets-edwin-diaz-expected-miss-season-torn-patellar-tendon
>
> Why the Mets let any of their major league roster participate in the WBC
> is beyond me.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/edwin-diaz-knee-surgery

How does one rip the patella tendon completely from the joint just buy
jumping up and down?

tmp

Mar 17, 2023, 11:31:58 AM3/17/23
It really sucks......to say the least......but it's not unheard of:
https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/patellar-tendon-tear/

Cause
Injury
It takes a very strong force to tear the patellar tendon.

Falls. Direct impact to the front of the knee from a fall or other blow is a common cause of tears. Deep lacerations are often associated with this type of injury.

Jumping. The patellar tendon may tear when the knee is bent and the foot planted, like when landing from a jump or jumping up.

tmp

Mar 17, 2023, 7:28:12 PM3/17/23
Most likely because they can't stop most players from playing in it. Don't know if you've seen this article, but there's a quote from Mets GM Billy Eppler in there:

"In general, we are not given too many opportunities to stand in the way when a player goes (to the WBC). There are certain criteria that has to be met for a player to not go. When we're given that runway, we've taken it. We took it with (Starling) Marte. We filed the objection on Marte because we could. But I don't want to get into the specifics here."

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/edwin-diaz-injury-update-mets-closer-likely-out-for-2023-mlb-season-after-hurting-knee-during-wbc-celebration/

It sounds like, basically, if the player's injury history prevents his contract from being insured to play in the WBC, then the team can prevent it. Otherwise, not.