The Labor Day Collapse

Popping Mad

Sep 4, 2022, 4:09:42 PM9/4/22
This is right up there is the wipe out in 2007

tmp

Sep 4, 2022, 5:31:47 PM9/4/22
On Sunday, September 4, 2022 at 4:09:42 PM UTC-4, Popping Mad wrote:
> This is right up there is the wipe out in 2007

No, not even close. In 2007 they lost a 7 1/2 game lead starting on Sept 12 (I believe that's correct - or close to it - without checking).

They've just gone through a really tough stretch of games ending with the Dodgers, and it's like they just collapsed in relief against the Nats, forgetting they still had to play. They've met every challenge so far this year, but the toughest part is yet to come.

Popping Mad

Sep 4, 2022, 6:25:26 PM9/4/22
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/images/mets_09_07/dsc03832.jpg

the Collapse agains the Marlins -

Popping Mad

Sep 4, 2022, 6:26:09 PM9/4/22

Popping Mad

Sep 4, 2022, 6:26:30 PM9/4/22

Popping Mad

Sep 4, 2022, 6:26:56 PM9/4/22

Popping Mad

Sep 4, 2022, 6:27:33 PM9/4/22

Hass

Sep 5, 2022, 9:06:52 AM9/5/22
Absolutely...it's silly to compare losing a series to the 2007 debacle. The Braves have been on fire since July and STILL haven't caught the Mets.

Hass

Sep 5, 2022, 9:07:58 AM9/5/22
On Sunday, September 4, 2022 at 3:09:42 PM UTC-5, Popping Mad wrote:
> This is right up there is the wipe out in 2007

Silly comparison...in May you said they were a 4th pace team. Then you said they'd be in 3rd by the end of June. Do you even WATCH the games?

*ernie

Sep 5, 2022, 9:20:47 AM9/5/22
I tend to agree with you BUT, these are the Mets. September always makes
me a little nervous. The month will be dictated by Edwin Diaz; will he
continue his lights-out relief work, or will he revert to form. Fingers
crossed.

Popping Mad

Sep 5, 2022, 8:55:34 PM9/5/22
On 9/5/22 09:20, *ernie wrote:
> I tend to agree with you BUT,

he is a troll - why even bother replying.

His trollname is hasselback - because he is a troll.

Popping Mad

Sep 5, 2022, 9:09:33 PM9/5/22
On 9/5/22 09:20, *ernie wrote:
> September always makes me a little nervous

The fact is that they are nearly at a dead heat and the Mets lead has
been shrinking steadly since midsummer. Their rdiff is 6th in the MLB

Accroding to the stats, they are, FWIW the luckyest team in baseball at
a +4 Luck value. I think a lot of that has to do with their defense and
their ability to exploit other teams errors. But good teams make a lot
fewer errors.

The ray of light has been that they are 39-30 against teams over 500.
It won't mean shit though if they don't go on a vritually flawless run
against these second rate teams through the next month. ANd they have a
history of fucking this up.

Fishing as NL Division Winner #2 is a major leg up in the playoffs.

tmp

Sep 6, 2022, 8:58:33 AM9/6/22
Lucky or not, saddling this current team with "a history of fucking this up" is hardly a fair thing to do. At least give them a chance to actually fuck it up first, before you hang that on them. Don't jump the gun. Back in spring training, I would have gladly signed up for a 1 game lead on Sept 6.

The rain out yesterday was probably a good thing. I think a lot of their problem right now is fatigue, both mental and physical.

nikolay kazakov

Sep 6, 2022, 10:15:48 AM9/6/22
Well, it seems they are in a statistical dead heat when they were up over 5 games aa few weeks ago. History, or not, thiss team just blew two games, being crushed, but a team that have been destroyed by everyone else in NL east, including the Marlins. It does not speak well.

OTOH, I am listening to WFAN whaling about Brian Cashman, so if you want to here truly irrational ranting, tune into 660AM

nikolay kazakov

Sep 6, 2022, 10:16:57 AM9/6/22
really? What is popping mad?

nikolay kazakov

Sep 6, 2022, 10:23:25 AM9/6/22
It is not just comparable to 2007, but it is line with a half dozen historical late season collapses, like the 1964 Phillies, 1956 Milwaukee, 1951 Dodgers, 1969 Cubs...

Ruben Safir

Sep 6, 2022, 12:31:50 PM9/6/22
They are one game up on Atlanta at this moment

Hass

Sep 6, 2022, 7:24:41 PM9/6/22
Not sure you know what a "troll" is.

Ruben Safir

Sep 7, 2022, 10:12:21 AM9/7/22
Wed Sep 7 10:11:53 EDT 2022

dead heat.... what day did you bet on?

Hass

Sep 7, 2022, 11:13:44 AM9/7/22
You talk to yourself with multiple ID's and call others a troll? LOL

nikolay kazakov

Sep 7, 2022, 11:55:34 AM9/7/22

> Wed Sep 7 10:11:53 EDT 2022
>
> dead heat.... what day did you bet on?

I don't bet, but I thought it would had been earlier. They are hanging on more than I thought.

nikolay kazakov

Sep 8, 2022, 9:52:24 AM9/8/22
Do you feel better now?