Google Groups are going down

*ernie

Dec 17, 2023, 12:53:04 PM12/17/23
I would hope this isn't the end of this group here. Thunderbird is a
free newsreader and like GG, it lists its posts in the order which its
posted. Eternal September is an excellent free newsserver that blocks
spam, much better than many others.

ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

Popping Mad

Dec 18, 2023, 5:16:20 AM12/18/23
thunderbird is not news access. It is a news reader or a news client.

Try panix.com for $10 a month

General Kireiko

Dec 18, 2023, 1:36:11 PM12/18/23
Popping Mad <rai...@colition.gov> wrote:
Or for $100 / year....

--
"How would you like it if you were a business executive, and when you
made a mistake, a red light went on and 18,000 people started

Ruben Safir

Dec 19, 2023, 1:07:14 AM12/19/23

Ruben Safir

Dec 19, 2023, 1:08:48 AM12/19/23
Google groups was originally a wonderful archive and www interface to
usenet. It was an historicially important archive that contained
decades of public knowledge and this is the death of dejanews.

That is sad and a blow to the public.

Ruben Safir

Dec 19, 2023, 1:11:13 AM12/19/23

jrichard

Dec 22, 2023, 7:12:58 AM12/22/23
On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:11:10 -0000 (UTC), Ruben Safir wrote:

> *ernie <already...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I would hope this isn't the end of this group here. Thunderbird is a
>> free newsreader and like GG, it lists its posts in the order which its
>> posted. Eternal September is an excellent free newsserver that blocks
>> spam, much better than many others.
>>
>> Frugal Usenet is $40 per year and is quite good. Gravity/Super Gravity,
Forte Agent on Windows, Pan on Linux are all very good newsreaders.
Thunderbird can also get the job done.
>> ernie k.
>> already...@hotmail.com

jrichard

Dec 22, 2023, 7:15:07 AM12/22/23

tmp

Dec 23, 2023, 12:37:37 PM12/23/23
I had used Thunderbird for a long time to access this group (and others) until my ISP dropped support for newsgroup access several years ago. Since then I've used Google Groups. Going back to Tbird will be 2nd nature as long as I can find a decent server. I may try Eternal September first. Thanks for the reference.