The Flubbies

Frank Sereno

Oct 6, 2021, 12:23:26 AM10/6/21
20 games under .500 for the season. The only way out of the
predicament is apparently buying free agents. Good luck with that!

The Cubs are so bad right now that I am at the top of the season
ticket list. I don't think I'll be buying any. When I signed up
there were like 50,000 people ahead of me on the waitlist.

It was pretty funny for the Cubs to expect Kris Bryant to give
them a hometown discount when they screwed him on service time.
I'm not sure that Kris will ever get what he expected from Free
Agency, but I'm guessing the Cubs won't be calling his agent.

Band Beyond Youall

Oct 6, 2021, 5:58:00 PM10/6/21
‘Twas ever thus: Remember notorious tightwad Philip Wrigley! But at least
he never traded away all the team’s stars in one fell swoop.

Frank Sereno

Oct 14, 2021, 2:46:48 AM10/14/21
That said, Wrigley owned the team during the hey day of the
Reserve Clause which basically made the players the property of
the team in perpetuity. So it wasn't necessary to dump players
for prospects when stars were going to be making huge salaries.

When the Reserve Clause was overturned, Cub icon Ron Santo was
vilified for exercising his 10 and 5 rights by refusing a trade
to the Angels. He then finished his career with the hated White
Sox. But we forgave him. As if he did anything wrong.