Whatever happened to John Kennelly?

Jeff Amdur

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

To this day, the only decent sports reporters channel 13 ever had IMHO
were John Kennelly and Andrea Kirby. (Buren is the chief reason I won't
even watch channel 13 news anymore).

I know that Andrea Kirby has become a consultant, advising athletes on how
to behave in front of a camera. On the other hand, John Kennelly kind of
disappeared completely in the late 60s after leaving WJZ to go to (I
believe) WCBS radio in New York. I remember there were rumors at the time
of alcoholism problems that may have led to his dismissal by group W.

Can anyone fill me in on whatever became of John Kennelly? Is he still
alive? Is he still sportscasting?

--
Jeff Amdur
Quality foreign language instruction since 1971 (Oy, gevalt! THAT long?!?)

PHELCOMM

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

First person with the correct answer will be today's winner of the "EZRINE
AWARD"

Man, John Kennally, that takes me back!!

Bermuda999

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

And a "Dodge Boys" white hat!

chixson

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <4oihkq$5...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, phel...@aol.com
says...

>First person with the correct answer will be today's winner of the "EZRINE
>AWARD"
>
>Man, John Kennally, that takes me back!!
Accepting the award is me! John Kennelly is now at WBBR Radio in New
York City and can also be heard on Bloomberg Radio News doing morning
drive sports updates. Is there a cash prize to go with the award?

DrCalculus

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Wasn't he shot be Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas?

(so sorry, just had to)

Jeff Amdur

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

On the other hand....

Does anyone "care" whatever happened to Klaus Wagner or Ronnie Duncan?

paul...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2016, 10:00:15 PM6/6/16
Good day . John Kennely was my father. After WJZ let him go . He did a short stint in Detroit before we moved to New Jersey . My father John was on WNEW 11 30 a.m. In NYC from 1976 through 1993 . WNEW went out of business and Bloomberg 1130 Took Its Place. My father worked there until 1996 . Sadly he passed away and 99 from cancer . It's nice to know that someone still cares out there .

juddmcd...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2017, 8:41:32 PM9/27/17
John Kennelly is my passed on uncle. He had a strong fight with cancer. Anyone that listened to him knew he was special. He is always missed

juddmcd...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2017, 8:42:55 PM9/27/17
John k was my uncle who passed away after a figjt with cancer. A special man who is missed.
Message has been deleted

Jeff Amdur

Nov 11, 2018, 4:30:09 PM11/11/18
On Sunday, May 26, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Jeff Amdur wrote:

> Can anyone fill me in on whatever became of John Kennelly? Is he still
> alive? Is he still sportscasting?

… and I find the answer 22½ years later …

Paul: This is the first time I've checked this newsgroup in years. Thanks for the information, although I'm sorry to hear your Dad's no longer with us. Whenever I pass the Hohokus exit on the Garden State Parkway on my way to Montreal, I recall the joking about your father's hometown during the back-and-forth between him and anchor Jerry Turner.

I actually do have a John Buren update: I still do timekeeping for high school basketball at my present and my former school. Buren shows up occasionally as a referee.

Jeff Amdur
Quality foreign language instruction 1971-2007 (Oy, gevalt!!! C’est fini!?! ¿¡¿No mås!?!)
Making school libraries safe for democracy since 2003
Quality timekeeping for sporting events since 1973
Baltimore—where “cell phone” and “cellophane” are homonyms