[Oh Canada...] Male powerlifter enters women's event, breaks record

1 view

Leroy N. Soetoro

Mar 30, 2023, 9:43:15 PM3/30/23
<https://nypost.com/2023/03/30/male-powerlifter-enters-womens-event-
breaks-record/>

A bearded pro powerlifter entered a women’s competition in Canada — and
smashed a record held by a trans lifter who was watching.

Avi Silverberg, the head coach for Team Canada Powerlifting for more than
10 years, entered Saturday’s Heroes Classic tournament in Lethbridge,
Alberta, after identifying as a female.

Video shared by athlete activist group the Independent Council on Women’s
Sports (ICONS) shows him walking up to the platform still fully bearded
and wearing a regular men’s singlet.

He then casually bench-pressed nearly 370 pounds — beating the current
Alberta women’s record by almost 100 pounds.

The current record — 275 pounds — is held by trans athlete Anne Andres,
who was seen watching Silverberg while volunteering at the event.

Andres also holds the Alberta women’s record for the deadlift, at 544
pounds — giving her the local record for the total of all three lifts,
lifting a combined 1,245 pounds.

The trans lifter won eight of nine competitions entered in the women’s
category over the last four years, ICONS said.

As Silverberg broke her record, Andres stood off to the edge of the
platform area, only strolling back on after the male lifter walked off.

ICONS said Silverberg “mocked the discriminatory [Canadian Powerlifting
Union] policy” that allows competitors to register for events under their
“gender identity and expression, rather than their sex or gender,” vowing
“no consequences” for doing so.

CPU’s trans policy states that an individual “should be able to
participate in the gender with which they identify and not be subject to
requirements for disclosure of personal information beyond those required
of cisgender athletes.”

It also states: “Nor should there be any requirement for hormonal therapy
or surgery.”

Meanwhile, the union’s competition registration policy states that a
competitor’s “government-issued photo identification (excluding Youth
lifters) must be verified during the weigh-in or equipment check,
including date of birth, province and gender at all competitions.”

It is unclear if Silverberg presented a government-issued ID identifying
him as a female or was required to.

Either way, according to ICONS, “what Avi so obviously points out is that
policies allowing men access to women’s sports completely remove any
integrity in women’s competitions.”

“It doesn’t matter how Avi expresses himself or perceives himself. He
clearly does not belong in women’s sport, and neither does any other male
regardless of their motivation for wanting to participate.”

Silverberg, who is also an online coach and powerlifting columnist, has
not directly addressed the competition.

However, Andres posted a series of lengthy video responses calling him “a
coward and a bigot” with “malicious intent.”

Still, in one clip, she openly admitted that “maybe my participation isn’t
necessarily fair — you know, there’s science, whatever.”

In another follow-up, she said it was not her problem, however, because
she “transitioned almost 20 years ago.”

“I got surgery — I can prove without any doubt whatsoever that I have gone
through every step, which means whatever governing body decides to make
decisions, I will pass that test.”

“I actually care about women in sport because I AM a woman in sport,” she
wrote alongside one video.

Bodybuilding influencer Greg Doucette was among those highlighting the
episode, noting how ludicrous it was for a man to so easily compete in a
supposed drug-free event despite way higher testosterone.

“I think this proves a point. If a guy can just show up and then set the …
record, doesn’t that prove that it’s not fair? So how long before the
powers-that-be suddenly wake up, smell the coffee and understand that if
you’re born a female you’re not gonna be as powerful, as strong … as if
you were born a male.”

“I’m stating facts,” Doucette said of the “unfair advantage” — comparing
it to the advantage a woman would have if she entered a drag queen show
against men.

“To me the answer is simple — we add a separate category, a new category,
the trans category,” he said, saying it is especially important for combat
sports where women competitors could get injured.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.