Re: Streaming the Olympics; or Screw NBC.

TMC

Aug 6, 2012, 9:28:58 PM8/6/12
On Aug 6, 12:31 pm, Volfie999 <mooseboys...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm streaming the track and field events as we speak, and it's
> fantastic!  There are commercials, but they're not too intrusive, they
> cover just about everything going on inside the stadium, there's no
> annoying behind the scenes/human interest bullcrap, and the british
> commentators are a frickin delight.
>
> Even something as unglamorous as the ladies shotput was interesting to
> watch.  Meantime, on NBC, Dan Quayle's horse knocks over a wooden 2x4
> and gets a tax refund.

http://fangsbites.com/2012/08/some-quick-monday-links-3/

Michael Hiestand of USA Today writes that NBC’s Rowdy Gaines doesn’t
believe that Michael Phelps won’t be swimming competitively four years
from now. And Hiestand reports that Matt Millen will ruin your college
football viewing experience during primetime this fall.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/story/2012-08-05/NBC-Michael-Phelps-Rowdy-Gaines/56812248/1

John Ourand and Tripp Mickle at Sports Business Journal’s Olympics
site find what former NBC Sports Emperor Dick Ebersol is doing in
London during the Games.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Olympics/London-Olympics/2012/08/dickebersol.aspx

Ourand talks with Comcast CEO Brian Roberts about the Olympics being a
guinea pig for new media.
Ourand writes that NBC execs are feeling bullish on the Olympics after
a very good start.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Olympics/London-Olympics/2012/08/newnbc.aspx

Mickle says a change in strategy has led the International Olympic
Committee to increase its take in rights fees from global TV partners.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Olympics/London-Olympics/2012/08/iocrevenue.aspx

Sports Business Journal’s Austin Karp writes that NBC saw a slight
bump from Sunday’s Olympic Primetime from Beijing.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Olympics/London-Olympics/2012/08/sundayovernight.aspx

Tim Baysinger from Broadcasting & Cable says last night’s Olympic
ratings were down from last Sunday.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/488250-Primetime_Ratings_Olympics_Down_From_Last_Sunday_Still_Beats_Beijing.php

Jeanine Poggi of Advertising Age says we can complain all we want, NBC
is still laughing all the way to the bank with its increased Olympic
TV ratings.

Media Life notes that NBC’s Today Show is back on top of the morning
show ratings thanks to the Olympics.
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/today-regains-top-spot-with-the-games/

A former GM of an NBC affiliate tells Chuck Ross of TV Week what the
network can learn from the BBC in televising the Olympics.
http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/2012/08/hooray-for-the-bbc-and-the-way-it-televises-the-olympics.php

Ed Sherman at the Sherman Report chastises NBC for not showing Usain
Bolt’s gold medal-winning run in the 100 meters live yesterday.
http://www.shermanreport.com/?p=3970

Jason Dachman of Sports Video Group notes how the Canadian Olympic
Broadcast Consortium downsized its operation for London as compared to
its huge undertaking in Vancouver.
http://www.sportsvideo.org/olympic2012/2012/08/live-from-london-canadian-broadcasters-streamline-london-presence/

Jason looks at BBC’s preparation for the 2012 Olympics.
http://www.sportsvideo.org/olympic2012/2012/08/live-from-london-64-years-later-bbc-sport-makes-television-history-once-again/

Ty Duffy of The Big Lead says NBC’s handling of the London Olympics
pales in comparison to the BBC in the UK.
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/08/06/nbc-olympic-coverage-is-laughable-compared-to-bbc/

Matt Yoder of Awful Announcing has video of the BBC track & field
studio crew off-camera openly rooting for Mo Farah when he won his
gold medal in the 10,000 meters and then again the following day for
Usain Bolt in the 100 meters.
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/august/bbc-olympic-stadium-studio-crew-cheer-wildly-during-the-actual-races.html

David Zurawik of the Baltimore Sun says NBC is attempting to ride the
Michael Phelps gravy train for as long as possible.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bal-nbc-olympics-phelps-special-sunday-20120805,0,6219586.story

Sports Media Watch notes that NBC’s Olympic daytime ratings are up.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/08/olympics-even-the-nights-are-better-even-the-days-are-brighter/