Hardest Hitting Players

Cary Slade

Nov 11, 2001, 7:52:54 PM11/11/01
Just posted this list on the IRT forum. Wanted to post it to this NG
as well....

Here's my alphabetical list of the hardest hitters I have personally
seen over the past several years. Who am I missing? Are any of these
fellows non-deserving of being on the list?

* Rob DeJesus
* Mike Dennison
* John Ellis
* Brian Fredenberg
* Sudsy Monchik
* Cliff Swain
* Tim Sweeney
* Josh Tucker
* Louis Vogel
* Kane Waselenchuk
* Chris Wright

Water cooler conversation only, of course. Hard hitting doesn't
necessarily translate into being a champion. Although a few of these
guys are pretty decent players. <big grin>

Cary Slade
Team E-Force

Chris Exner

Nov 11, 2001, 8:18:32 PM11/11/01
I think that Brian Istace puts a fairly good pace one the ball.
Chris Exner

"Cary Slade" <css...@dow.com> wrote in message

Kevin Young

Nov 11, 2001, 8:54:58 PM11/11/01

Cary Slade <css...@dow.com> wrote in message
> Just posted this list on the IRT forum. Wanted to post it to this NG
> as well....
>
> Here's my alphabetical list of the hardest hitters I have personally
> seen over the past several years. Who am I missing

You'll get many replies I'm sure. In New England there's a fellow who
rarely plays tournaments but gives me a headache from the sound of the ball
on the front wall. Surely he must be denting it. I saw him a couple of
years ago simply blow the ball past Adam Karp, and then give John Ellis a
great match.
Scott Reiff, plays for Ektelon, smokes the ball. Nice guy too.

--
-Kevin Young-
Team E-Force

Steve

Nov 11, 2001, 9:18:03 PM11/11/01
Actually, I think ALL of the top players hit hard...with today's racquets, it's
difficult NOT to.

The ones who really have impressed me over the years are guys like Mike Ray,
who had power but had stunning control, as well...Andy Roberts could do that
too...as can Sudsy, Jason, and John Ellis.

There are guys who win by simply slamming the ball all the time, but the ones
who mix it up are more impressive, and, I think, more effective. The emphasis
on power is, I think, often misplaced (or at least misused). I see lots of
younger players now who slam everything, even where a little touch shot'd serve
them better.

Steve F
Team E-Force
Rochester, NY

Rob

Nov 11, 2001, 10:09:23 PM11/11/01
Now I may be going way back in history here, but I think all the hard
hitters today follow in the footsteps of Egan Inoue.

But that's just my two cents
Rob Mulligan

Leo

Nov 11, 2001, 10:51:46 PM11/11/01
Hey Cary,
You got a nice list there....I would agree with most of it. But there is
also a
hardest hitter and hardest serving difference.
I think that Egan and when Brian Fredenberg served 170+ mph
heaters at Nationals 2 years ago are the hardest hitting servers.
Actually putting some 'meat' on the balls during rally's has to go to Sudsy
then maybe John Ellis.

I like Rob DeJesus too when his timing is right on, he can blast some
serves!

Leo R Vasquez
Program Director-Maverick A.C.
http://www.themav.com/

BD

Nov 11, 2001, 11:55:59 PM11/11/01
Mike D. hits the ball a ton, but you got him. I think you left out Andy
Roberts for sure. The one who really started the photon serve, Igan Enoue
got left out too, but other than those 2 good list.

Brian

dropshot99

Nov 12, 2001, 2:08:33 AM11/12/01
Rob writes.....

>Now I may be going way back in history here, but I think all the hard
>hitters today follow in the footsteps of Egan Inoue.

No two ways about it. If Egan was hitting the ball today with those new "power
wands" we call racquetball racquets, the service could well be over 200MPH. He
was hitting 179mph in Houston in 1988.
Dropshot

LBSky

Nov 12, 2001, 6:42:31 AM11/12/01
>Scott Reiff

Ditto on that one. Scott is originally from Florida (I've known him since he
was just a little kid....). He is definitely right up there with the hardest
hitters!

Dncingking26

Nov 12, 2001, 8:47:39 AM11/12/01
Scott Reiff, plays for Ektelon, smokes the ball. Nice guy too

I saw Scott Reiff play this weekend in a tournament in Mass. He absolutely
destroys the ball. He did wear a funky light blue warm up suit though :)

Derek Finch

Nov 12, 2001, 8:54:31 AM11/12/01
Definitely gotta put Andy Roberts and Tim Doyle on that list for the modern
era.

Older hard hitters were Marty Hogan, Dave Peck, Brett Harnett and Ed
Andrews.

Dano 1 fit

Nov 12, 2001, 5:30:34 PM11/12/01
in riverside i witnessed Conine hit balls in a doubles match with Steve Lerner
that were inhuman for shots hit during a rally and for the size racquet being
used

ItalionStalion8

Nov 12, 2001, 6:34:16 PM11/12/01
what about shane wood from mass?? the guy hits the ball just about as hard as
reiff and hes a cat too
moccia

> Here's my alphabetical list of the hardest hitters I have personally
>> seen over the past several years. Who am I missing? Are any of these
>> fellows non-deserving of being on the list?
>>
>> * Rob DeJesus
>> * Mike Dennison
>> * John Ellis
>> * Brian Fredenberg
>> * Sudsy Monchik
>> * Cliff Swain
>> * Tim Sweeney
>> * Josh Tucker
>> * Louis Vogel
>> * Kane Waselenchuk
>> * Chris Wright
>>
>> Water cooler conversation only, of course. Hard hitting doesn't
>> necessarily translate into being a champion. Although a few of these
>> guys are pretty decent players.
>>

>> Cary Slade
>> Team E-Force

Kevin Young

Nov 12, 2001, 7:21:20 PM11/12/01

Dncingking26 <dncing...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Scott Reiff, plays for Ektelon, smokes the ball. Nice guy too
>
> I saw Scott Reiff play this weekend in a tournament in Mass. He absolutely
> destroys the ball. He did wear a funky light blue warm up suit though :)

When you hit the ball like that...you can wear anything you want....;^)

-Kevin-

Josh Messina

Nov 12, 2001, 7:24:14 PM11/12/01
agreed. scott hits bombs. dejesus too. suds is about the hardest hitter
I've ever had the pleasure of losing to; forehand and backhand. the ball has
that nice curve on the way to the front wall.
vogel's probably top five on the serve/forehand. shane wood, same thing
(from the forehand).
the list is so long:
-cliff, doyle, former racquetball player-turned baseball player Rich Barker
(also a MA native), sweeney, elli, just a crazy long list that would take a
while to complete.
The "list" becomes dramatically shorter when you look at those successful in
harnessing the power. Those are the guys making a name/living for
themselves (and well deserved BTW).
just my thoughts.
j.

Kevin Young

Nov 12, 2001, 7:24:51 PM11/12/01

LBSky <lb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Lori,
And Chris Z. is from down there too? They paired up to win open
doubles at regionals last year in New Hampshire, beating the top two players
from Maine.
Send more talent up this way please....
My best,

LBSky

Nov 12, 2001, 9:11:10 PM11/12/01
>Send more talent up this way please....

Heck no... you already took it. Actually, you stole my mixed doubs partner.
Chris Z. and I used to do really well together until he moved.

We need some hard hitting youngsters down here. Right now, Mike Harmon and
Matt McElhiney are banging it pretty good and showing some promise, but you
never know.

See ya in Memphis!

Lori

self

Nov 12, 2001, 6:27:10 PM11/12/01
"Kevin Young" <ke...@racquetballkevin.com> wrote in message

> Scott Reiff, plays for Ektelon, smokes the ball. Nice guy too.

Only one guy I know in Florida who hit the ball harder than Scott Reiff...

Jeff Conine.

Greg Stoner

Pgmcmillin

Nov 13, 2001, 2:26:04 PM11/13/01
shane can hit the ball hard. but i would put chris crowther up against him for
speed any day. when his serves are on, watch out world.

Peter

dtril...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 4:53:37 AM4/17/15
Once saw a game between Rob Dejesus and Louis Vogel, that was a ball crushing game.

rme...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2015, 11:03:16 PM4/30/15
On Sunday, November 11, 2001 at 5:09:22 PM UTC-8, Cary Slade wrote:
Mitch Williams, I don't think Swain hit as hard as some of these other guys, but he had great placement

billype...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2018, 12:29:04 AM1/29/18
Craig "Clubber" Lane
Egan Inoue