Are we dead?

al

Jul 9, 2023, 9:39:50 AM7/9/23
Anyone still lurking?

Ion Saliu

Dec 16, 2023, 5:28:23 AM12/16/23
On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 4:39:50 PM UTC+3, al wrote:
> Anyone still lurking?

Alcochiloco, Narcochiloco, Spotrocheeller et. al.:

We are not dead — Usenet is. Google decided to kill Usenet for all intents and purposes. The beauty of Google Groups (GG) was PERSISTENCE. The messages were ARCHIVED — i.e., saved for posterity.

From February 15, 2024, the messages will get lost in the ethereal Infinity. They will be saved temporarily on each newsreader subscriber’s domain. That’s all! Only very few readers can see them, and then the messages are wiped out for good.

Many Usenet messages were also INDEXED by Google Groups. They became available in Internet searches on some queries of value to many Netizens. I know firsthand how a valuable referring source GG is (WAS!). My website has received up to hundreds referrals a month from Google Groups!

O tempora! O mores!

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sport.horse-racing/c/QuH5RzjcfXI
• Usenet Auschwitz