Backboard suggestions?

James Keats

Jan 8, 1995, 11:19:47 PM1/8/95
I want to set up a dart board in my basement and I wanted to get some
suggestions for what to use for a backing to protect the wall from darts
that miss (for when friends are over ;-) ). Does anybody have any
suggestions for what to put up, or designs for a casing etc.?

Thank you very much in advance.

james

Opinions? They're mine damnit! Mine, Mine, Mine, all Mine!!!

Flames? Forget it. I'm married. Every 27 or so days she
will fuck me up more than any little message you
could possibly write.

Replies? aa...@cfn.dal.ca
(Newfs: Type this, don't try to dial it)
(TO'ians: Why do you give a rats ass? I'm only from
Atlantic Canada!?)

"Nothing starts your day like a good dose of DAVE!"

Bob Lanctot

Jan 9, 1995, 12:38:58 PM1/9/95

In a previous posting, James Keats (aa...@cfn.cs.dal.ca) writes:
> I want to set up a dart board in my basement and I wanted to get some
> suggestions for what to use for a backing to protect the wall from darts
> that miss (for when friends are over ;-) ). Does anybody have any
> suggestions for what to put up, or designs for a casing etc.?

You must be on the new Freenet in Halifax, eh? Pick up a piece of cheap
plywood, 1/2" thick (min.) and cover it with some thin out door carpeting.
Green looks best. If you want to get fancy, frame it with pine, maple or
oak. Don't use particle board or chip board because the darts don't stick
in well and it won't hold up to the abuse from missed darts. Of course if
you never miss the dartboard then you can disregard this advice. :-) Don't
mount the dartboard bracket on the carpeting. Cut a hole so you can mount
it directly on the plywood. This will help to keep the board from wobbling
and you won't have to put cardboard behind it. If you want to get fancy,
you can always add a top, bottom, sides and doors.

BTW, I find your sig rather tasteless. People who post articles here tend
to avoid four letter words lest they offend others who don't use them.
That is not a flame, just an observation.

--
_________
/ \ | Bob Lanctot |

KRUSTY

Jan 9, 1995, 2:14:46 PM1/9/95

James Keats

Jan 12, 1995, 10:17:23 AM1/12/95
In article <D25Fo...@freenet.carleton.ca> ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Bob Lanctot) writes:

>You must be on the new Freenet in Halifax, eh? Pick up a piece of cheap

Yup, Chebucto Freenet as well as a couple of other accounts.

>plywood, 1/2" thick (min.) and cover it with some thin out door carpeting.

>you can always add a top, bottom, sides and doors.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will probably go with something like that.

>BTW, I find your sig rather tasteless. People who post articles here tend
>to avoid four letter words lest they offend others who don't use them.
>That is not a flame, just an observation.

Thank you for the observation. Normally I try not to swear too often unless
using it to express the exact feeling I am tring to get across. And when
those 27 days or so roll around, my life does (sometimes) become hell.
Sorry, I don't mean to offend.

Don't ya' kinda wish men could just blame being a prick for no reason on three
letters and get widespread support for it? :-)

james
I don't know what I'm \ ja...@sirius.ns.ca / Finger me for information
saying half the time / Sirius Solutions Limited \ on St. John Ambulance
so don't blame my \ 1 Research Drive, Ste. 215 / Brigade
company. They surely / Dartmouth, Nova Scotia \ First Aid mail list:
don't know what I'm \ Canada B2Y 4M9 / first-aid@
saying! Opinions are / Ph(902) 465-2328 \ @rabble.uow.edu.au
mine, & mine alone. \ Fax (902) 464-0931 / "SAVE A LIFE, LEARN CPR!"
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast! - "Ace" Rimmer - Red Dwarf

James Keats

Jan 12, 1995, 10:21:22 AM1/12/95
In article <0110951436...@flipper.xs4all.nl> gus...@flipper.xs4all.nl (Gustav Rossner) writes:
>aa...@cfn.cs.dal.ca (James Keats) writes:

>>I want to set up a dart board in my basement and I wanted to get some
>>suggestions for what to use for a backing to protect the wall from darts
>>that miss (for when friends are over ;-) ). Does anybody have any
>>suggestions for what to put up, or designs for a casing etc.?

>Wood is good, don't use softboard, the darts hits the wall through it.
>Don't take tropical wood, it is to hard, you're darts will fall....

I will probably use a 1/2 plywood and see how that goes. I'm just wondering
what size to make the backboard? 2x2 2.5x2.5???? What do you suggest?

>But when you are practice at the doubles, don't you miss sometimes the
>board ??

By looking at your tagline, probably a hell of a lot more than you would! :-)

>Gustav
>Gustav Rossner | ________ Raymond Barneveld runner-up
>gus...@flipper.xs4all.nl | \ \ at the World Championship
> | -========|=====<XXXXXXXXXXXXXX>-------
>Gustav's Darts Corner | /________/ Darts, a professional sport

Bob Lanctot

Jan 12, 1995, 8:52:45 PM1/12/95

In a previous posting, Jeff Eagan (jea...@pop.long-beach.va.gov) writes:
>I agree plywood is fine. I use 1/2 coverd with a white bed sheet. it's cheap
> and the darts are not on the ground. I don't believe carpet is nessary but
> it is great to have if you want. It nice on the tips (steel). Now the cork
> is good if you have a thick one. Saves on the tips (steel). I just say
> anything you want is right for you. Good luck.

If you use plywood, you must paint it to make it look good (unless you
like the look of unfinished plywood. The darts make visible holes and chip
the wood. Cork will chip very quickly and fall apart shortly after.
Carpet, on the other hand, glued with contact cement onto plywood gives a
nice finish that lasts for years and years. I made my cabinet in 1978. The
carpet is only just starting to show wear. It's seen literally thousands
of throw darts. There are 5 dart players in my family and we're lucky to
get a year out of a dart board.

The carpet I'm using is very thin. It's called all weather carpet and
looks alot like the cover on a pool table. It's not quite as smooth and
has a course, wool-like feel. There is no length to the fibres. If I knew
what it was called you could go to a carpet store and look. I just picked
up some scrap pieces for next to nothing.

RC Osgood

Jan 13, 1995, 2:22:18 PM1/13/95

> >>I want to set up a dart board in my basement and I wanted to get some
> >>suggestions for what to use for a backing to protect the wall from darts
> >>that miss (for when friends are over ;-) ). Does anybody have any
> >>suggestions for what to put up, or designs for a casing etc.?

Plywood works well & is cheap. Use a minimum 3/8" thickness, 1/2" or 3/4"
is better. ( The thicker it is, the less likely you are to have warping
problems, especially in humid climates. Cheap construction grade is OK in
thicker sheets)

Fabric covering is optional, but greatly improves appearance. Carpet or
burlap-texture materials will not show holes. Consider putting some carpet
strips on the back, especially if you live in a apt or dorm where noises
are a problem (or have a sleeping baby!). This will reduce noise
transmission.

Cork is not suitable for heavy-use applications, as it tends to crumble
after being hit a few times. Some of the thick cork squares on the market
also have a strong odor that lingers for months. If you really must use
cork, seal it with several coats of paint or other sealer to improve
durability. Also if you glue cork directly to the wall, are you really
protecting it, or just permanently marking it with adhesive?

One of the best materials is HOMOSOTE, the trade name for the material
that many bulletin boards are made of in the USA. It is sold at larger
lumber yards in 8 or 10 foot by 4 foot sheets, It usually is marketed as a
composite, with thin particle-board bonded to the back. This is what most
commercially made darts backboards are made of.

If you use a fabric covering, it is a good idea to glue the entire surface
down, otherwise it will probably sag or wrinkle over time.

Frames, if any, get hit by a lot of darts, so avoid thin wood moldings
that might split. Dark finishes don't show damage as much as light or
glossy finishes.

Most misses are low... wall hits above or to the sides of the board rarely
extend more than 5 inches away from the board. Most misses below the board
will fall into a triangular area from the width of the bottom of the
board, tapering down to a spot approx. 24" below the board. Of course, a
REALLY wild shot could go anywhere!

I've built a lot of backboards, also have bought & sold a lot of them...
Unless you are handy with shop tools or just really like to build things,
commercial backboards at your local darts shop are a lot simpler &
probably cheaper than you can buid anything attractive. Ready-built units
run from about $29 to $90 or more, and may be worthwhile if it is going to
be hung in your living room, for instance. (Experience shows that most
men with wives buy cabinets for boards inside the house, so it can be
hidden for some occasions... not my suggestion, just the facts!)

Whether you buy it or make it, secure the wall protector at BOTH top &
bottom! Most units are hung from just the top, & eventually someone will
grab all 3 darts in a close grouped X19 & jerk hard... then the whole
shebang swings out on the top 2 screws, jumps the screw heads, & crashes
down to the floor, or any shins/toes in the way.

Good luck & Good Darts,

Rick Osgood
Rick's Darts & Games
- The Original Darts & Games Store.. est. 1974! -

Mark=Novakosky%...@bangate.compaq.com

Jan 13, 1995, 2:55:07 PM1/13/95

>I want to set up a dart board in my basement and I wanted to get some
>suggestions for what to use for a backing to protect the wall from darts
>that miss (for when friends are over ;-) ). Does anybody have any
>suggestions for what to put up, or designs for a casing etc.?
>
>Thank you very much in advance.
>
>james

I built my own backboard, IMHO, it's one of the best I've seen! I started
with 3/16th or 1/4" thick plywood. I then bought 8-1foot square pieces of
hardwood flooring. I used contact-cement to affix the hardwood to the
plywood. Next, I used a band-saw to cut this cofiguration into a circle
~6 inches wider than the dartboard. Finished product looks classy and
the holes left by errant darts are not readily noticable from a distance.

I'll try some kind of ascii diagram for the placement of the hardwood tiles.
___ ___ ___
| | | | | |
|___| |___| |___|
|___| ___ |___| to mount the bracket. This allows the dartboard to
|___| |___| |___|

>--
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Opinions? They're mine damnit! Mine, Mine, Mine, all Mine!!!
>
>Flames? Forget it. I'm married. Every 27 or so days she
> will fuck me up more than any little message you
> could possibly write.

After being married for just under a year, I've not read a more
truer statement! :)

Chris Patterson@anu.edu.au

Jan 10, 1995, 3:10:30 PM1/10/95
In article <D24Ep...@cs.dal.ca> aa...@cfn.cs.dal.ca (James Keats) writes:
>From: aa...@cfn.cs.dal.ca (James Keats)
>Subject: Backboard suggestions?
>Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 04:19:47 GMT

>I want to set up a dart board in my basement and I wanted to get some
>suggestions for what to use for a backing to protect the wall from darts
>that miss (for when friends are over ;-) ). Does anybody have any
>suggestions for what to put up, or designs for a casing etc.?

I have an old pine table which I cut up to become the backboard...
Unfortunatly some ppl decided that the wall behind it also makes a good aiming
point!!!!!

Bob Lanctot

Jan 18, 1995, 11:16:51 PM1/18/95
In a previous posting, Luis Hernandez (lou...@symnet.net) writes:
> One of our local pubs has a spiral of thick rope wrapped around the board
> and tacked to the wall. Rustic, attractive, and seems to do a fine job of
> protecting the wall. If you are a rookie, buy A LOT of rope :-)

That looks real nice. If you can get a length of thick rope and wind it
around your board you'll be very pleased with the effect. You might want
to drive a nail through the rope every now and then to keep it from
coming apart.

Another thing I've seen around a board is a tire. It's cut in half and
tacked to the backboard with its inside out. Some people like it, me, I'd
go for the rope.

Claus-Peter Warnecke

Jan 24, 1995, 9:29:59 AM1/24/95
Luis Hernandez (lou...@symnet.net) wrote:
: RC Osgood (rcos...@infohwy.com) wrote:

: : >
: : > >>I want to set up a dart board in my basement and I wanted to get some

: : > >>suggestions for what to use for a backing to protect the wall from darts
: : > >>that miss (for when friends are over ;-) ). Does anybody have any
: : > >>suggestions for what to put up, or designs for a casing etc.?

: : >

: One of our local pubs has a spiral of thick rope wrapped around the board

: and tacked to the wall. Rustic, attractive, and seems to do a fine job of
: protecting the wall. If you are a rookie, buy A LOT of rope :-)

In one of our pubs they have yellow painted 1/2 tires put around the board.
I am not sure if they are from cars or from motorbikes, but the size is
almost perfect to fit exactly.

--
Claus-Peter Warnecke Tel.: 0231/9749-122 warn...@quantum.de
Quantum GmbH Dortmund Emil-Figge-Str. 83 44227 Dortmund

nakisha...@gmail.com

May 2, 2018, 1:28:30 AM5/2/18
5 Best Dart Board Backboard – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews

https://peakpicker.com/best-dart-board-backboard/

info.da...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2020, 1:28:53 AM7/25/20
For wall protectors, you can use a dart stop backboard. It is large enough to keep your dart safe. Also, you can check out the Viper dart backboard. I think you should check out Dart Goals list of best dart backboard. It will give you plenty of good dart backboard. Here is their article: https://dartgoals.com/best-dart-backboard-reviews/