Dart Board Softening

M Spearman

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Is there any special solution to spray onto a dart board to keep the
bristles soft and pliable?

Kevin V.

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00

M Spearman wrote:

> Is there any special solution to spray onto a dart board to keep the
> bristles soft and pliable?

Nope ... never has been, never will be ... prove me wrong - PLEASE !!!
:-) ...

But anyway ... the only thing I can do is to fill a spray-bottle with
regular water & only cover the surface with a few droplets each spray ...

The best way to save your board is to not look at how quickly it dries
out, but instead why it does so quickly ...

Check your lighting, make sure it's at least 4 feet from the surface of
the board in a diagonal slant, & be sure not to use anything over a 60 watt
bulb ...

You shouldn't avoid any of these guidelines unless you have a magical
window near the dartboard that lets ion an unusual amount of darkness, &
that just doesn;t happen ... so it must be one of those problems ...

But if anybody WAS going to invent something, it would probably be some
of the people I've heard questions from about " what would you ___ if you
could ? " ... unfortunately none of those ever get answered other than
reasons they won't work ... but that's why we're all here, knowledge ...

Later ...
Big darts ...

Scott Martin

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
On Fri, 04 Feb 2000 23:31:37 GMT, "M Spearman"
<m.spe...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Is there any special solution to spray onto a dart board to keep the
>bristles soft and pliable?

Good question. Water is out - it rusts the wires and can weaken the
glue holding the fibers to the base causing bulges, etc.

As a cigar smoker, I've always got a bottle of Propylene Glycol
around. P.G. is used in humidors to help regulate humidity. It is also
used as a preservative and is non-toxic (this is NOT Ethylene Glycol).

I'm tempted to try it out on my old but still useable board as an
experiment.

Any comments?

Scott

St.Charles Dart League (http://www.scdl.org/)

"Age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time!"

b2b...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2014, 12:46:42 PM9/12/14
Yes believe it or not.
Like other responders say and I agree; you can't use water, spray chemicals, etc, and you should try to control the elements of sun, wind, light, heat and cold.
But if you take baby oil and mix it with water, distilled preferably, and spray or apply with a microfiber towel, you will hopefully see great results.
I mix the proportion at 1oz oil to 3oz water or to what suits you.
And remember, if your board is worn out or already old and decaying, just buy a new one and use this tip.
Good luck my friends,
Bill

b2b...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2014, 3:15:54 PM9/15/14
Hey you guys,
I just tried something else on a different dart board, I have 3, and I hadn't done anything to it for over a year.
I had always wanted to try the Tannery on a board as it is an awesome easy to apply, non-invasive, fast acting and long lasting leather treatment that does not hurt metal as I use it on shoes, cars, rubber, plastic, leather pockets on pool tables, etc.
Also, it does not have the glycols that a product like Armoral has which basically allows the UV Rays to dry out and destroy whatever you put it on.
So I applied it a couple of nights ago and the next morning the board was like new.
before applying though I did remove the metal number ring for application ease, not because of worrying about the metal.
after applying I took a microfiber towel and tamped it along the diamond edge dividers and the bullseye to get any natural buildup.
I did not soak the board but probably about a spray and a half per coverage area of the sprayer so approximately 10 to 12 spays and I am totally happy.
And just for the ultimate test of softness I threw a couple of 301 game with soft tip darts withe the short tips and not one dart bounced off or fell out.
I hope this helps as I believe it will and the leather smell in the air doesn't offend anyone either as it's nice.

Regards,
Bill