Wobbly darts

Jim Elmore

Mar 14, 2001, 5:01:51 AM3/14/01
I have a problem with my darts wobbling. Some days my darts go straight
but more often than not, they wobble. I've tried slightly different
grips, different pressure, different releases, etc. It seems no matter
what I do, they still wobble. Then again on some days, they go
straight.

If I expect to become world champion, I have to get this corrected!!

Thanks,
Jim

The DARTMAN

Mar 14, 2001, 6:28:01 PM3/14/01
Jim,
Try shortening your shafts.
This may help.

Terry
www.discountdarts.com

Karl

Mar 15, 2001, 4:25:45 AM3/15/01
Actually, I think a longer shaft is more likely to straighten out a wobble.
Still stability is a function of how you hold the dart and release it. A
longer shaft will dampen the sinusoidal curve, (Your dart will fly
straighter.) Larger or heavier flights also have more drag than smaller
ones, so you could straighten out the throw by changing to a heavier flight.

If you are throwing a straight dart, you might want to try something front
loaded. Front loaded darts tend to straighten out erratic throws. If you
are throwing hammerhead GTX forget it. I threw them for five years just
fine and then developed a wobble and spent one year trying to correct it
before I finally switched darts.

But the worst news is, if the dart flies straight at times and wobbles at
other times, the most obvious conclusion is that there is something
technically wrong in your release. (Release too early, too late. No follow
through. Jerking motions. Not relaxed. Not focusing. Thinking too much
about how you are throwing. There are thousands of reasons why we can't
hit the dang board the way we want to. I'm taking my darts to the Catholic
priest on Saturday to have an exorcism preformed. I'm sure they are
possessed, It can't be me!

An article that I like, though tailored for beginners, can be found at
www.user.bigpond.com/bullseye/thchnique.htm
Good luck!!!

Jim Elmore

Mar 15, 2001, 5:57:02 AM3/15/01
Thanks Karl,
I think, (rather, I know) it's me. I think I'm over/under reacting at the
point of release. I'm using 25g Black Widow moveable steel point darts with a
short shaft. I'm amazed (and happy) with how accurate they are even with the
wobble. They wobble for 3 - 4 days and then seem to straighten out for a day
or so.

I guess there's no pill to take or any hi-tech solution? I suppose I just have
to work it out my self. Bummer!

Also, could you repost the web site you suggested? I can't access it.

Thanks,
Jim

Dirtbag

Mar 15, 2001, 10:42:07 PM3/15/01
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:01:51 -0500, Jim Elmore <j...@jimelmore.com>
wrote:

I have some large flights (Bristows) that take care of that problem.
If you throw with small flights and don't have a consistent release
you'll have this problem.

Dirtbag

Frank

Mar 15, 2001, 12:25:49 PM3/15/01
Hey Jim...

> I have a problem with my darts wobbling. Some days my darts go straight

I think you should try shorter shafts. The shorter the shaft (dart) the
straighter the dart flighs...(in most cases!!!)

good luck!

skata1

Mar 18, 2001, 7:53:04 AM3/18/01
Jim,

I too suffer from wobbly dart syndrome.

I've been playing with a cheap set of house darts, brass barrel with plastic
shafts and weathered flights, basically a beatup set of darts that I'm
guessing weight between 18 and 21 grams. But for as ugly my throw is I was
accurate and competitive and they flew in nice arch with little or no
wobble.

Wanting a set of my own, I bought a set of Piranha II's by Dart World.
Besides being 90% tungsten they come with two sets of flights and shafts, a
long shaft and something Dart World calls a Top Spin Diamond shaft where the
flight spins while the dart is in flight. I guess they are suppose to make
the you throw more accurate or something. However the long shaft without
the spin is what I am using.

While I can throw much better with the long shaft I still see the dart land
at times with the flight being lower than the point. I like Karl's theory
using larger flights.

However I think a major contributor to wobbly dart is the weight. I've been
playing with much lighter darts for a couple months straight and now I'm
playing with a noticeably heavier 23 gram dart. So I think it is going to
take time to get used to the new darts.

See the darts I'm using at http://dartworld.com/pages/steellist.html model
is 19123
23 gr.

-Dean

"The DARTMAN" <kbd...@inlink.com> wrote in message

Jim Elmore

Mar 18, 2001, 8:13:00 AM3/18/01
Thanks Dean,

I also have a set of Piranha IIs/25 grams.

Today, they went straight!!

It's madness...

Jim

skata1 wrote:

--
Jim Elmore
Jim Elmore Illust. & Design, Inc.

Valerians1

Mar 18, 2001, 5:55:36 PM3/18/01
Try Holding the dart closer to the front {point}

I've seen it do wonders for wobbly darts.

shoot Well
Rainy

s.p.k...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2012, 1:31:27 PM10/22/12
to j...@jimelmore.com
Hey Jim. I have a terrible release myself. I have a long history of labor intensive jobs and my hands are super tight. I started out with a set of 24g kick ass darts(super skinny, semi long, straight barrel). Some days I felt like I was throwing a wet log and all my darts would flop around a bit, other days straight and perfect. I have gotten a bit better but I still have my bad nights.

For me nylon shafts changed everything. I will never use aluminium again. With light tails and light single ply Condor/Rutheless clear/see through flights my darts are dead straight no matter how bad my release is. Dropping all that weight in the ass mad my darts allot more reliable.

buffda...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2016, 8:22:05 AM2/9/16
I use the 18g pangasues (sp) sorry. And dualumin fit flight shaft #3 which probably makes it over a 20. My darts wobble but seem to hit the target most of time. I use super shapes also. Is there something I can do to straighten this out. Tired of spending the cash. Thanks

leon.ja...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2018, 9:56:46 AM3/9/18
Op woensdag 14 maart 2001 11:01:51 UTC+1 schreef Jim Elmore:
Hi Jim
I have the same problem but still i mange to throuw 180's from time to time.
But the wobble can make a diffence between a tripple 1 or T20. Problem lies 4 95% with the trouw. Yes the darter himself. It's caused by the wrist or just one finger that holds on to the barrel just a millisecond too long. Concentrating on "throwing thrugh AFTER releasing the dart helps. But i notice that that only works for a while, and then i start forgetting it all over again. So .. buy Shorter shafts that most of the time make the wobble worse and try to keep thouwing after you release, and you'll notice that when you really concentrate the wobble wil dissapear. That's esaier said then done. What helps 4 me a little is : Spinning shafts. The motion that is set but a wrong relase will slightly be compensated due to the fact that flight by itself is able to fly through the air without beeing forced to turn with the dart. The flight can fly though the air choosing the lest resistance and therefor will not amplify the wobble. Must be said that the wobble wil stil be there, but with less impact. Second advantige. (they say) After trouwing the first dart the second one that lands close to the fist, will have less chance of bouncing of the flight. To be honest. I diddn't notice much of a differend when throwing, but you just cant tell wat would of happend if the flight was fixed. Hope this helps a little ...Good luck becomming a World Champion ... I'll be looking out 4 your name on the embassy :) (Maybe you solved it already after 17 years)