Ball Speed, Pt II

1 view

Jeremy D.

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Hi all, thanks for all your responses concerning my ball speed/more hook
observation. The consensus seemed to be that everyone believe this was to be
"blamed" on a crowned oil condition with dry boards on the outside. I decided
to try it again on my league night in that house to verify it...

I found the lanes on a whole to be dryer all around, but I did notice more of
a reaction on the outside, so everyone's thoughts seemed to be true. I also
noticed that when I slow down, I tend to try to give it more lift, and perhaps
I come around the side instead of underneath. I'm going to spend the rest of
my summer sessions working with this 5-board line, with straight underneath
lift.

Someone had mentioned that they were surprised I needed to ask this if I "did
indeed have a 185 average". Please understand, all 4 years in college my
bowling coach taught spares, spares, spares! I'm deadly with a plastic ball.
So while my strike ball is not so hot, I am able to survive with picking
spares and an occasional double here and there. I really believe that anyone
who wants a "fast track" to a 175+ average should simply practice 7 and 10
pins...

See you around, and thanks for the help,
Jeremy

Shark4

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <4tqgb6$9...@news-old.tiac.net>, jer...@tiac.net (Jeremy D.)
writes:

>Someone had mentioned that they were surprised I needed to ask this if I
"did

>indeed have a 185 average". Please understand, all 4 years in college my

>bowling coach taught spares, spares, spares! I'm deadly with a plastic
ball.

>So while my strike ball is not so hot, I am able to survive with picking
>spares and an occasional double here and there. I really believe that
anyone

>who wants a "fast track" to a 175+ average should simply practice 7 and
10
>pins...
>
>See you around, and thanks for the help,
>Jeremy

Strike for show, spare for Dough!!

Mike Austin Strike Zone Pro Shop Go Rockets!!!!
Webster, TX Texas City, TX Go Oilers !!!
J U S T T H R O W S T R I K E S ! Go Astros and Indians!!!
Wanna make some money?? Ask me about Destiny Telecomm!

Mike Emeigh

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Mike Austin wrote:

> In article <4tqgb6$9...@news-old.tiac.net>, jer...@tiac.net (Jeremy D.)
> writes:
> (snip)

> >So while my strike ball is not so hot, I am able to survive with picking
> >spares and an occasional double here and there. I really believe that
> anyone
> >
> >who wants a "fast track" to a 175+ average should simply practice 7 and
> 10
> >pins...
> >
> >See you around, and thanks for the help,
> >Jeremy
> >

> Strike for show, spare for Dough!!

Agreed with both Mike and Jeremy.

I kept track of the percentage of spares I converted over a three-year period.
When my spare conversion percentage went from around 70% to around 85% I went from
a mid-160s average bowler to a mid-170s average bowler without improving my
strike percentage at all.

I see a lot of crankers out there who throw a ton of strikes but look lost when
they're faced with a 10-pin. If they'd just learn how to convert that one they'd
add 10 pins to their average - but they haven't a clue, and I *never* see these
guys practice shooting it, or indeed, any spare shots.

You'll enjoy bowling more, and score better, if you work as hard to improve your
spare shooting as you do your strike shooting.

Mike

W. ROLLINS

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Jeremy D. (jer...@tiac.net) wrote:
: Someone had mentioned that they were surprised I needed to ask this if I "did
: indeed have a 185 average". Please understand, all 4 years in college my
: bowling coach taught spares, spares, spares! I'm deadly with a plastic ball.
: So while my strike ball is not so hot, I am able to survive with picking
: spares and an occasional double here and there. I really believe that anyone
: who wants a "fast track" to a 175+ average should simply practice 7 and 10
: pins...

Your coach gave you excellent advice. If you can hit the pocket with
plastic it will carry, maybe not as wide a target as some balls but there
are a lot of folks here that have 300 games or 800 series with plastic.
There is nothing wrong with using plastic. I recently bought a Pinacle
from Mike Austin and its a plastic ball with a modern core. Its out of
production but there might be a few laying around in some dealers stock.

I like this ball so much that I gave away my Blue Hammer. It works well
in oil or dry. Its a little more speed sensitive than my Yellow Dot but
it gives a much wider pocket.

If you can't find a Pinacle a Turbo/C Urethane or a Stigray/C might be a
good choice. Both hook a little more than the Pinacle when drilled in
similar fashion but are a little more speed sensitive.

Reactives are less forgiving but carry a little better. I've got a stable
full of them but seldom carry them yo the lanes.

BiNM