Clear Wolf

1 view

PHORVICK

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

I ordered a Clear Wolf from Rizzo's (and, for those that begrudge the mail
order route, my local shop, which I support con$iderably, did not and
could not get one for me). Drilled it up and thought you might be
interested in how it reacts.

I am 50 and believe in the long run that "less is more", hence I prefer an
arcing shot, 18mph or so. I tend to track low to get thru the heads, but
can rev it up when needed. I prefer, all else being equal, to use similar
drillings as for me that produces more consistency. Normal preferred ball
is the RPM Swirl or Track Flare, label drilled, ner max top wt; I love the
Storm Spare as a great spare ball, and a more than adequate strike ball on
dry conditions.

The Clear Wolf is 15#-8oz, 1.8 top; -0- side, label drilling. For me, iif
I use the Flare as an example, the Swirl is 8 boards less hook; the Stprm
Spare another 5 boards less. The clear Wolf is just a tad less hooking
than the Storm for me. The Storm sets up and rolls very early...straight
for sure, but heavy roll; does not hit particularly hard; the Wolf skids
about 5 feet longer for me than the Storm, and goes into a very small arc,
but hits very hard.

For many of us that i\find too much over/under on modern high tech
equipment, and seem "doomed to plastic", the clear Wolf is worth a very
long look. Highly recommended.

Keep it on the lane...

Paul Horvick
Bowling This Month magazine...free copy by sending e-mail to b...@net1.net
Web sites of note:

BTM's main site: http://users.aol.com/phorvick/mainmenu.htm
Collegiate Bowling Schools: http://users.aol.com/univnews/coaches.htm
General Collegiate Info: http://users.aol.com/univnews/info.htm
BTM's Physically Speaking: http://users.aol.com/univnews/briggs.htm
Dick Ritger camp review: http://users.aol.com/phorvick/ritger.htm
Ritger "method" thoughts: http://users.aol.com/phorvick/campinfo.htm
Misc. YABA Schol. info: http://users.aol.com/yabanews/yabanews.htm
Personal Stats Software: http://users.aol.com/phorvick/bis.htm

W. ROLLINS

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

PHORVICK (phor...@aol.com) wrote:
: I ordered a Clear Wolf from Rizzo's (and, for those that begrudge the mail

: order route, my local shop, which I support con$iderably, did not and
: could not get one for me). Drilled it up and thought you might be
: interested in how it reacts.
:
Its a high demand or low production ball. It took me over a month to get
mine and the Pro-Shop here has had 14# and 15# on order since it was
announced but still waiting.

: I am 50 and believe in the long run that "less is more", hence I prefer an

: arcing shot, 18mph or so. I tend to track low to get thru the heads, but
: can rev it up when needed. I prefer, all else being equal, to use similar
: drillings as for me that produces more consistency. Normal preferred ball
: is the RPM Swirl or Track Flare, label drilled, ner max top wt; I love the
: Storm Spare as a great spare ball, and a more than adequate strike ball on
: dry conditions.

:
I'm 50 also and am a control bowler rather than a power shooter. For me
it hooks just a little less than the Pinnacle but hits as hard as
anything I own. If there is plenty of oil its just my spare ball but if
the lanes are dry its a very good ball and much less speed sensitive than
Urethane or Resin balls for me.

Typically I will carry one Reactive ball like the Turbo/XL or Turbo/C and
a Urethane like the Blue Beast or Stingray/C and the Clear Wolf. I tend
to alternate the 4th ball between the Pinnacle and a second Urethane or
RR ball depending on the conditions I saw on my previous outing.

: The Clear Wolf is 15#-8oz, 1.8 top; -0- side, label drilling. For me, iif

: I use the Flare as an example, the Swirl is 8 boards less hook; the Stprm
: Spare another 5 boards less. The clear Wolf is just a tad less hooking
: than the Storm for me. The Storm sets up and rolls very early...straight
: for sure, but heavy roll; does not hit particularly hard; the Wolf skids
: about 5 feet longer for me than the Storm, and goes into a very small arc,
: but hits very hard.

:
Mine is drilled slightly off label and skids through any oil but does a
fairly good left turn when it hits the dry. Hooks about the same amount
as my Yellow Dot but hooks much later so while it crosses the same number
of boards it seems to have a better angle into the pocket.

: For many of us that i\find too much over/under on modern high tech

: equipment, and seem "doomed to plastic", the clear Wolf is worth a very
: long look. Highly recommended.

:
I'll second that. Let me toss in a suggestion for all other past their
prime bowlers, a good urethane or even polyester ball might be a better
choice than the Reactive Resins. I find it difficult to keep my speed
consistent late into the league so can rarely use a RR ball for the
entire night, particularly on a two league night. Get a ball with a high
tech core and a urethane or polyester coverstock and it'll serve you
well. The Blue Beast is a heck of a good ball and quite a bargain. I feel
confident I could go anywhere with just the Clear Wolf and the Blue Beast
and be very close to my average.

BiNM

William Walker

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

ok, time for the president of the ball-of-the-month-club to
speak up. 8) someone asked me about the clear wolf in email,
and here is my reply.

---

well, if the lanes are dry, and i do mean DRY, it is pretty swell.
the house had tons of traffic thanks to the kids being off school,
so it was a pretty good test. with a high-rg leverage polished
pulse, i was playing 18-4 strong, standing 40ish. i also had a nice
line standing 52, playing 22-10 with alot of speed/turn. this is
usually a 30-12-4 house. 8)

i have a couple of white dots drilled label-finger-pos and track
axis. i was standing 15, playing down 8, or 20-8-4. the track-axis
WD was starting up a bit early, but not going into a roll. the
label-drilled WD was ok, going a bit longer, but trying to make
a stronger move.

the wolf is drilled label-up-leverage (doesn't matter except on
reeeeally dry lanes). it was going about as long as the track-axis,
but trying to make a stronger move. it covers a couple more boards
than either WD, so i was playing it 20-8-4 with decent speed.
threw a couple of games, it carrys reeeeally well, and i have always
liked plastic on synthetic lanes anyway. on a standard wolf, this
would be a length-4, hook-10 drilling, i think.

it is a real head-turner. 8) with the ball drilled leverage, the
weight block is at a 45 degree angle to the release axis. as it
flares (5+" or so), the weight block rights itself to go almost
end over end. the thumb hole ends up on the axis point as it goes
into the roll phase... very cool.

a good spare ball for those who switch often, an expensive spare
ball (retail was $100), and a really nice dry lanes ball with alot
of good drilling options. i wanted it for second shift b or c
squad regionals, and i will prolly drill another for those special
occasions (myrtle beach, norfolk NAS, lynchburg).

bill.

--
Q: What's a light-year?
A: One-third less calories than a regular year.

Team Internet 1996 - http://www.netjammer.com/TI/

Chuck Dillon

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Could someone please recommend reference material that I can
study to educate myself to the point where I can understand
what Mr. Walker is saying? I don't mean just jargon and
not just a translation, I mean the foundation of concepts
required to understand and apply what he is conveying.

TIA

--
Chuck Dillon
c...@noran.com

James T. Jacobs

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Chuck Dillon <c...@noran.com> wrote:
: Could someone please recommend reference material that I can

: study to educate myself to the point where I can understand
: what Mr. Walker is saying? I don't mean just jargon and
: not just a translation, I mean the foundation of concepts
: required to understand and apply what he is conveying.
:
: TIA

Good luck! I've had the same problem for years!

;-)

(or you can buy the book, REVOLUTIONS, by Chip Zielke (sp?))

W. ROLLINS

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

Chuck Dillon (c...@noran.com) wrote:
: Could someone please recommend reference material that I can
: study to educate myself to the point where I can understand
: what Mr. Walker is saying? I don't mean just jargon and
: not just a translation, I mean the foundation of concepts
: required to understand and apply what he is conveying.
:
: TIA
:
: William Walker wrote:
: >
: > ok, time for the president of the ball-of-the-month-club to
: > speak up. 8) someone asked me about the clear wolf in email,
: > and here is my reply.
: >
: > ---
: >
: > well, if the lanes are dry, and i do mean DRY, it is pretty swell.
: > the house had tons of traffic thanks to the kids being off school,
: > so it was a pretty good test. with a high-rg leverage polished
: > pulse, i was playing 18-4 strong, standing 40ish. i also had a nice
: > line standing 52, playing 22-10 with alot of speed/turn. this is
: > usually a 30-12-4 house. 8)

He said he has a Pulse (the ball not the heartpump thing) and he stands
all the way left and hurls it at the right hand gutter but to do that
with a Clear Wolf would just result in a gutter ball because it won't
hook if there is any oil on the lanes.
: >
: > i have a couple of white dots drilled label-finger-pos and track

: > axis. i was standing 15, playing down 8, or 20-8-4. the track-axis
: > WD was starting up a bit early, but not going into a roll. the
: > label-drilled WD was ok, going a bit longer, but trying to make
: > a stronger move.

: >
He has two Columbia White Dot bowling balls and one is drilled with the
White Dot (the label) directly under his palm and the other is drilled
with the White Dot shifted so the weight block which is directly under
the White Dot is a little off the center of his grip so it hooks a little
more.

We do need the FAQ which contains much of this terminology and mythology
posted here at least once a month. It is the asb FAQ after all so should
be posted to asb instead of cashed away on the web.

BiNM

mark

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

W. ROLLINS wrote:

> We do need the FAQ which contains much of this terminology
> and mythology

Well, I don't want to see the mythology and I'm wouldn't
get into recommendations or ball reviews. However, I do have
a large collection of bowling definitions and ascii drawings
of ball layouts (label, leverage, axis et al) which I'll post
on a regular basis if people want it (and they probably do).
I did put up an OK list about a year ago which folks can find
via dejanews. This was added to by both Bill Walker and Kelly
Bednar who took the time to add thier expertise.

This harkens back to the concept of a "drilling FAQ" which
got started and then dropped for reasons I don't want to
discuss in this forum at this time.

For those that care the terms and drawings come from documents
used in drilling seminars and ball manufacturers literature
so you need not fear that I've made them up :) First posting
in a week or so If someone else really wants to do this go
ahead and tell me so we don't needlessly duplicate effort.

Best,

Mark