mac recovery

gljiva

Jul 22, 2005, 9:49:26 AM7/22/05
i am a pc user and dont know much about mac's, so i need your help...:)

friend deleted some really important files from his mac.
are there some recovery programs for mac's? if there are, what are they (i
mean, names etc, where can we find them...)?

thnx a lot!!!!

Alan Zisman

Jul 22, 2005, 10:11:26 AM7/22/05
In article <dbqti1$7mj$1...@sunce.iskon.hr>, "gljiva" <i...@next.TOCKAhr>
wrote:

Symantec Norton Utilities for Mac includes undelete features-- just as
it does in the Windows version... however, you (and your friend) really
need to know a little tiny bit about the Mac that he is using... in
particular, the operating system.

Older Macs tend to use one or another of Apple's 'Classic' Mac operating
systems-- anything up to OS 9.2.2

Newer Macs are running one or another version of Mac OS X (pronounced
'Oh Es Ten' not 'Oh Es Ex')... and this is very different.

Look onscreen (assuming it boots)-- both OS's have a little apple icon
in the top-left corner.

If it's striped, it's Mac Classic. If it's blue, it's OS X.

remove 'nospam' when replying

John Gentile

Jul 22, 2005, 11:40:21 PM7/22/05
in article dbqti1$7mj$1...@sunce.iskon.hr, gljiva at i...@next.TOCKAhr wrote on
7/22/05 9:49 AM:

Hopefully your friend still has the original disks that came with the Mac.
You can use these disks to restore files back to the original condition. But
it would be more helpful if you could tell us what model, what OS, and what
files seem to be missing.
--
John Gentile Editor, Rhode Island Apple Group
yjg...@cox.net RIAG Web page: www.wbwip.com/riag/

fudo

Jul 23, 2005, 2:36:31 PM7/23/05
In article <BF073465.1A88C%yjg...@cox.net>,
John Gentile <yjg...@cox.net> wrote:

> Hopefully your friend still has the original disks that came with the Mac.
> You can use these disks to restore files back to the original condition. But
> it would be more helpful if you could tell us what model, what OS, and what
> files seem to be missing.

Assuming that the "really important files" are system files is not a
safe assumption, IMO. They could just as well be data files, in which
case messing with install discs could be more trouble than help. And
since the OP doesn't seem to be inclined to provide more info, it's hard
to make any reasonable suggestions.
--
fudo can be reached at spamblocked d o t c o m

gljiva

Jul 26, 2005, 9:28:46 AM7/26/05

"Alan Zisman" <al...@nospam.zisman.ca> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:alan-892164.0...@news.vc.shawcable.net...

> Symantec Norton Utilities for Mac includes undelete features-- just as
> it does in the Windows version... however, you (and your friend) really
> need to know a little tiny bit about the Mac that he is using... in
> particular, the operating system.
>
> Older Macs tend to use one or another of Apple's 'Classic' Mac operating
> systems-- anything up to OS 9.2.2
>
> Newer Macs are running one or another version of Mac OS X (pronounced
> 'Oh Es Ten' not 'Oh Es Ex')... and this is very different.
>
> Look onscreen (assuming it boots)-- both OS's have a little apple icon
> in the top-left corner.
>
> If it's striped, it's Mac Classic. If it's blue, it's OS X.

ok, here is more info:)

he is using OS X.
and no, its not sys data, it's music files, his recordings.

thing is, he didnt know that data can be recovered, so he was using and
recording on that comp some more (it happened few weeks ago)
so, his comp savvy friend says nothing can be done now... i think it can...
so i advised him norton... we'll see now...

but, any more advice is welcome!

thanks a lot!!!

§ńühwřŁf

Jul 27, 2005, 6:13:16 PM7/27/05
In article <dc5dsc$7q5$1...@sunce.iskon.hr>, "gljiva" <i...@next.TOCKAhr>
wrote:

There used to be a program called "Can Opener" from Abbot Systems that
would allow you to recover the files on otherwise useless disks.

HTH