20" Intel iMac for $1199?

Tolls Forthee

Apr 20, 2006, 7:42:49 PM4/20/06
I found the above offer on Craiglist. I cannot find the ad now. However,
I emailed the advertiser and received the following web site address in
return. I have no idea whether the seller is legitimate or not, but I
thought I should post the URL:

*******************************
The total for 1 iMac 20" - 2GHz Intel Core Duo is:

$1.199.00 transferred for the item delivered by your door.

(Allow 5-7 days for the delivery with free shipping option)

To place an order for this item please visit:

http://www.storesoho.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=137

*******************************

Once at the site, I found an ad for a the computer listed above, but
very high-end, including a double-layer DVD recorder, a 500 GB hard
drive and 2 GB RAM.

I went all the way through creating an account at the site, fully
intending to purchase the iMac. Unfortunately, when I went to pay, the
seller will only accept a wire transfer, not a credit card. I only buy
stuff online using credit cards.

Wire transfers are like cash. There is no protection from fraud. Thus
wire transfers are a popular way to defraud online purchasers.

Again, I have no idea whether the seller is legitimate or not, but I
thought the Mac community should be aware of my experience. Buyer beware.

Der.MEROVINGIAN

Apr 23, 2006, 10:01:12 AM4/23/06
Don't get ripped off. It should be obvious to you that a site like
Craigslist is a face-to-face type online meet place. Only a stupid
person (not you) would play the wire transfer game. Even the people at
Craigslist caution against replying to ads that require Western Union
money transfers, cashiers checks and wire transfers. THEY ARE ALL SCAMS
AND FRAUDS. Be advised.

On 2006-04-20 19:42:49 -0400, Tolls Forthee <Ham...@shoedrop.ouch> (by