changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86 - Java desktop)

ggr...@bigfoot.com

Jun 26, 2008, 5:40:30 AM6/26/08
Hello there.

The problem is when using the Solaris 10 Java desktop.

As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
resolution settings.
It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
etc) . Consequently
the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
is no way I can traverse
the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
display settings.

Reboots of the machine have had no effect either. :-(
So I would like to restore the screen resolution to sensible settings.

I had a quick look around for possible solutions, and this is what I
found.

1. The ffbconfig command.

There is a man page on the system for this command, but Solaris 10 x86
does not appear to
have the actual exe installed (certainly not in the location given in
the man page) .

2. KDM config

I had a look at the config file allegedly used, but all screen res
info within appeared to
be reasonable (1024x768) .

3. Login via CDE is ok

So the screen res config info must be specific to the Java desktop
env.

So the summary is that if ffbconfig would solve the problem, I cannot
use it.
And the Java desktop does not appear to be using KDM config files to
get its screen res
info.

If anyone can point me in the right direction (Unix cmds, location of
the Java desktop
screen res config files etc) , I would be much obliged.

Best Regards

Thomas Maier-Komor

Jun 26, 2008, 7:13:00 AM6/26/08
ggr...@bigfoot.com schrieb:

on x86 there are two X servers: Xsun and Xorg. kdmconfig is Xsun
specific, fbconfig is sparc Xsun specific. So if you change settings in
kdmconfig, it won't effect Xorg. To configure Xorg, run Xorg -configure
as root and copy the resulting xorg.conf file to /etc/X11 (I'm not 100%
sure about the location, so double check in the man pages Xorg and
xorg.conf).
Edit xorg.conf to your match what you want, and everything should be fine.

HTH,
Thomas

Gary Mills

Jun 26, 2008, 7:52:51 AM6/26/08
In <05638e27-d8bd-4ebd...@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com> ggr...@bigfoot.com writes:

>As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
>resolution settings.
>It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
>etc) . Consequently
>the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
>is no way I can traverse
>the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
>display settings.

Sometimes the problem is that the monitor does not provide EDID
information to the display driver, so it gives you only the 640x480
resolution. A quick fix is to try a different monitor.

--
-Gary Mills- -Unix Support- -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

ggr...@bigfoot.com

Jun 26, 2008, 8:26:07 AM6/26/08
On Jun 26, 12:52 pm, Gary Mills <mi...@cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> In <05638e27-d8bd-4ebd-9a3f-d67317097...@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com> ggro...@bigfoot.com writes:
> >As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
> >resolution settings.
> >It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
> >etc) . Consequently
> >the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
> >is no way I can traverse
> >the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
> >display settings.

> Sometimes the problem is that the monitor does not provide EDID
> information to the display driver, so it gives you only the 640x480
> resolution. A quick fix is to try a different monitor.

I have managed to recover the situation, but not fully.

I was able to find/edit an xml file under the "/.gconf" dir structure
that had
the offending res values. I changed to 1280x1024 (the supported screen
res) and rebooted. Unfortunately the system thinks the best resolution
it
can support is 1024x768.

The monitor manual definitely says that 1280x1024 is supported, and
people have said that the monitor was previously working at that res
for
the machine concerned.

Because of alleged button-pushing on the monitor settings by people, I
reset the monitor to "factory settings" . To add insult to injury, the
monitor has
some adjustment button that when pressed displays :

"Processing auto image adjustment. For optimal display change
resolution to 1280x1024"

If I attempt to change the screen res from the Java Desktop menus, no
option appears for 1280x1024. It was then suggested to try kdmconfig -
t,
to see what the sys thinks of the config. I got the following
message :

"kdmconfig has determined that the following devices may be either
configured incorrectly or not tested with the window system."

Now I am really out of my depth here. As I said, what a nightmare. :-(

Regards

FrenKy

Jun 26, 2008, 8:49:19 AM6/26/08
I do not use desktop on any Sun OS (Java or otherwise), only console but
I use Linux desktop running Xorg.
So advice is coming from Linux world... First thing I can tell you is to
check your xorg.conf configuration file. Check if it resides in
/etc/X11/ if not, quick search for xorg.conf should be able to find this
file.
When you open xorg.conf go to the section Screen (if you have multiple,
be sure to use the right one) and check if for the color depth you are
using you have "Mode" "1280x1024" listed. I expect that you will not
find it there. Make a backup of xorg.conf and add that resolution
manually. Restart the gdm or the machine and see if that helped.
Message has been deleted

Richard B. Gilbert

Jun 26, 2008, 12:59:59 PM6/26/08

The message from kdmconfig suggests that the graphics controller you
have is not supported! You might try to find out what graphics
controller you have and inquire if the manufacturer offers a Solaris
driver. Some do, some don't.

sel...@gmail.com

May 8, 2014, 1:43:13 AM5/8/14
as the title, i have this serious problem right now,

can someone help me.....

i am running my application UCAM in solaris 10
after loading some graphic patch which was meant for magtrox vga card, i am getting a blank screen(No signal monitor getting),
monitor could show only BIOS things only, after CDE runs it not displaying anything, but the system is booting and and it could go to CDE. this was verified by accessing the files in the system by Filezilla.

Can anyone help me to get rig of this problem, please tell me how to restore the previous graphics.

John D Groenveld

May 8, 2014, 6:00:52 AM5/8/14
In article <b52778c6-0d6f-4053...@googlegroups.com>,
<sel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>i am running my application UCAM in solaris 10
>after loading some graphic patch which was meant for magtrox vga card, i
>am getting a blank screen(No signal monitor getting),
>monitor could show only BIOS things only, after CDE runs it not
>displaying anything, but the system is booting and and it could go to
>CDE. this was verified by accessing the files in the system by
>Filezilla.

Which X server are you running?
$ ps -fu root | grep X

John