ANN: New UNIX programming book

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 1, 2004, 5:24:36 PM9/1/04
to
Hi all,

Forgive my indulgence, but I am pleased to announce the
publication of my book, Solaris Systems Programming.
Despite the word "Solaris" in its title, my book is
suitable for programmers of any UNIX or UNIX-like
operating system. My vision of this book was one that
could be regarded as an updated and expanded version of
Rich Stevens' excellent Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment, with a Solaris bias. With all humility, I
think I've largely achieved this lofty goal, although
time will tell...

The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by
Sun Microsystems Press (an imprint of Prentice Hall PTR),
and is available immediately.

More details, including a sample chapter, the complete
preface and table of contents, and a searchable index
can be found from my web site, www.rite-group.com/rich .
This URL can also be used to order a copy of the book.

We now return you to your regular programming (pun
intended!)...

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming",
published in August 2004.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

Michael Laajanen

unread,
Sep 1, 2004, 5:55:02 PM9/1/04
to
HI,

Rich Teer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Forgive my indulgence, but I am pleased to announce the
> publication of my book, Solaris Systems Programming.
> Despite the word "Solaris" in its title, my book is
> suitable for programmers of any UNIX or UNIX-like
> operating system. My vision of this book was one that
> could be regarded as an updated and expanded version of
> Rich Stevens' excellent Advanced Programming in the UNIX
> Environment, with a Solaris bias. With all humility, I
> think I've largely achieved this lofty goal, although
> time will tell...
>
> The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by
> Sun Microsystems Press (an imprint of Prentice Hall PTR),
> and is available immediately.
>
> More details, including a sample chapter, the complete
> preface and table of contents, and a searchable index
> can be found from my web site, www.rite-group.com/rich .
> This URL can also be used to order a copy of the book.
>
> We now return you to your regular programming (pun
> intended!)...
>

Nice, but PLS explain how and where you created the PDF files :)

cheers

Michael


Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 1, 2004, 7:29:36 PM9/1/04
to
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Michael Laajanen wrote:

> Nice, but PLS explain how and where you created the PDF files :)

I had to use Adobe Acrobat; bugs in the version of ps2pdf
prevented me from using it. :-( As to where, it was right
here, using SunPCi IIpro.

Assuming the bugs get ironed out, I'll use ps2pdf in future.

Dave Uhring

unread,
Sep 1, 2004, 7:35:26 PM9/1/04
to
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:29:36 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

> I had to use Adobe Acrobat; bugs in the version of ps2pdf
> prevented me from using it. :-( As to where, it was right
> here, using SunPCi IIpro.

dvipdfm(1)

DESCRIPTION
The program dvipdfm generates a PDF file from a DVI file.
DVI files are the output format produced by TeX. Output
from groff can be converted to DVI format using grodvi.

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 1, 2004, 7:58:50 PM9/1/04
to
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Dave Uhring wrote:

> dvipdfm(1)
>
> DESCRIPTION
> The program dvipdfm generates a PDF file from a DVI file.
> DVI files are the output format produced by TeX. Output
> from groff can be converted to DVI format using grodvi.

Alas, I only have dvipdf (which also goes through PostScript
conversion phase. Due to time constraints, I didn't have time,
nor the inclination, to mess about trying to find another way
of converting PostScript to PDF.

I think the latest version of Aladin GhostScript (8.somehting)
does the job, but the GPL version (7.something) doesn't. I
tried compiling Aladin GhostScript here, but (surprise surprise)
it didn't work out of the box. :-(

Apart from a bit of text misalignment, ps2pdf did a good job.
Just not acceptable for a professional looking book. I suspect
the latest (non-GPL) version of GhostScript will fix that.

Dave Uhring

unread,
Sep 1, 2004, 8:20:34 PM9/1/04
to
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:58:50 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

> I think the latest version of Aladin GhostScript (8.somehting)
> does the job, but the GPL version (7.something) doesn't. I
> tried compiling Aladin GhostScript here, but (surprise surprise)
> it didn't work out of the box. :-(

I recently built ghostscript-8.13 without any problems on S10_b63. Just
be sure to have '-L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib" in your $LDFLAGS.
You do need GNUmake to build it.

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 1, 2004, 8:24:44 PM9/1/04
to
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Dave Uhring wrote:

> I recently built ghostscript-8.13 without any problems on S10_b63. Just
> be sure to have '-L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib" in your $LDFLAGS.
> You do need GNUmake to build it.

Ah, that explains it - thanks for the tip, and I'll give it another
go sometime. Good job I only downloaded the trial version of
Acrobat!

Michael Laajanen

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 1:24:23 AM9/2/04
to
HI,

Rich Teer wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Michael Laajanen wrote:
>
>
>>Nice, but PLS explain how and where you created the PDF files :)
>
>
> I had to use Adobe Acrobat; bugs in the version of ps2pdf
> prevented me from using it. :-( As to where, it was right
> here, using SunPCi IIpro.
>
> Assuming the bugs get ironed out, I'll use ps2pdf in future.
>

Have you tried Adobes distill(Part of Framemaker on Sparc(you know
Sparc) :)) ), it usually works much better that gs.

I will get the Book from Amazon, if it sell good get Framemaker on Sparc
while it still available :))

Cheers

/michael

Michael Laajanen

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 1:24:32 AM9/2/04
to
HI,

Rich Teer wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Michael Laajanen wrote:
>
>
>>Nice, but PLS explain how and where you created the PDF files :)
>
>
> I had to use Adobe Acrobat; bugs in the version of ps2pdf
> prevented me from using it. :-( As to where, it was right
> here, using SunPCi IIpro.
>
> Assuming the bugs get ironed out, I'll use ps2pdf in future.
>

James Lee

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 12:23:01 PM9/2/04
to
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:58:50 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

> I think the latest version of Aladin GhostScript (8.somehting) does the
> job, but the GPL version (7.something) doesn't.

The GPL version is now 8.01, see http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ and is
available packaged for Solaris from http://www.blastwave.org


> I tried compiling Aladin
> GhostScript here, but (surprise surprise) it didn't work out of the box.

If you want a compiled AFPL Ghostscript 8.14, try this:
http://www.blastwave.org/~james/#afpl

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 12:46:04 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, James Lee wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:58:50 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:
>
> > I think the latest version of Aladin GhostScript (8.somehting) does the
> > job, but the GPL version (7.something) doesn't.
>
> The GPL version is now 8.01, see http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ and is
> available packaged for Solaris from http://www.blastwave.org

Much appreciated, James. I meant to send you an email while I
was fighting with it, but had other fires to fight. I'll try
your new packages when I get a few minutes...

> > I tried compiling Aladin
> > GhostScript here, but (surprise surprise) it didn't work out of the box.
>
> If you want a compiled AFPL Ghostscript 8.14, try this:
> http://www.blastwave.org/~james/#afpl

Ohh, thanks!

James Lee

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 12:50:45 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:46:04 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

>> The GPL version is now 8.01, see http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ and is
>> available packaged for Solaris from http://www.blastwave.org
>
> Much appreciated, James. I meant to send you an email while I was
> fighting with it, but had other fires to fight. I'll try your new
> packages when I get a few minutes...

Perhaps you'll upgrade groff from 1.16.1 to the current 1.19.1 from
blastwave - unless there is something else I should know.

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 12:53:46 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Michael Laajanen wrote:

> Have you tried Adobes distill(Part of Framemaker on Sparc(you know
> Sparc) :)) ), it usually works much better that gs.

I haven't tried FrameMaker, and at $1329 for a fixed-node
license ($1989 for a shared one), I'm not likely to.

> I will get the Book from Amazon, if it sell good get Framemaker on Sparc
> while it still available :))

It's the last bit that worries me. Adobe have canned support
for MacOS, so how long will Solaris last? Also, they don't
(yet) support Solaris x86. While that isn't a problem for me
at the moment (I have only SPARC machines at present), I find
Sun's Opteron products very intriguing, especially the W2100z.
Consequently, I'm not very inclined to support an ISV that
doesn't support Solaris 86...

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 1:11:09 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, James Lee wrote:

> Perhaps you'll upgrade groff from 1.16.1 to the current 1.19.1 from
> blastwave - unless there is something else I should know.

Nope. In fact, I think I did download that version. PATH
troubles... :-)

Oh, that reminds me: could you please NOT make the fonts package
a prerequisite for groff (or ghostscript, or whatever)? I like to
use my own fonts, so it'd be nice to have the option of NOT installing
the ones that usually come with groff.

Cheers,

Message has been deleted

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 2:26:01 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Richard Santink wrote:

> However...... as a book writer, you'd be impressed with many of the
> features of FrameMaker.... :)

I did play with an old version of FM several years ago, while in
Sun. I was quite nice, but I'm still more comfortable in vi.

> I don't think FrameMaker for SPARC is going anywhere soon... even though
> they've slowly chopped away all the other platforms.. I understand
> that Adobe's move to cut MAC support was a little 'politically charged'.

Gotcha. I wouldn't be too surprised if Adobe's Solaris x86
portfolio actually expanded, given that they're one of the
partners for Sun's JDS. I mean, if a product is available
for Solaris SPARC, it shouldn't require much more than a
recompile to become available for Solaris x86.

Michael Laajanen

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 3:29:01 PM9/2/04
to
HI,

Rich Teer wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Michael Laajanen wrote:
>
>
>>Have you tried Adobes distill(Part of Framemaker on Sparc(you know
>>Sparc) :)) ), it usually works much better that gs.
>
>
> I haven't tried FrameMaker, and at $1329 for a fixed-node
> license ($1989 for a shared one), I'm not likely to.

You usually get what you pay for :))

I am a HW Consultant eng and when my prev. company said that everybody
got to have wordprocessor, well since I don't have any x86 since Linux
0.99pl13 I got Frame, fantastic like Unix, hard to start with but wait
and see, what it can't do in documents is not worth doing :))

But I should maybe move up from 5.5.6 to 7.0 but like in Unix shell I
wounder what really has changed :))

>
>
>>I will get the Book from Amazon, if it sell good get Framemaker on Sparc
>>while it still available :))
>
>
> It's the last bit that worries me. Adobe have canned support
> for MacOS, so how long will Solaris last? Also, they don't
> (yet) support Solaris x86. While that isn't a problem for me
> at the moment (I have only SPARC machines at present), I find
> Sun's Opteron products very intriguing, especially the W2100z.
> Consequently, I'm not very inclined to support an ISV that
> doesn't support Solaris 86...
>

Not even Sun fully support x86, SRSS for instance!


/michael


Casper H.S. Dik

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 3:32:10 PM9/2/04
to
Rich Teer <rich...@rite-group.com> writes:

>Gotcha. I wouldn't be too surprised if Adobe's Solaris x86
>portfolio actually expanded, given that they're one of the
>partners for Sun's JDS. I mean, if a product is available
>for Solaris SPARC, it shouldn't require much more than a
>recompile to become available for Solaris x86.

Especially if it's also available for other x86 architectures.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

squinny

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 4:17:40 PM9/2/04
to
Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.4.58.04...@zaphod.rite-group.com>...

> Hi all,
>
> Forgive my indulgence, but I am pleased to announce the
> publication of my book, Solaris Systems Programming.
> Despite the word "Solaris" in its title, my book is
> suitable for programmers of any UNIX or UNIX-like
> operating system. My vision of this book was one that
> could be regarded as an updated and expanded version of
> Rich Stevens' excellent Advanced Programming in the UNIX
> Environment, with a Solaris bias. With all humility, I
> think I've largely achieved this lofty goal, although
> time will tell...
>
> The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by
> Sun Microsystems Press (an imprint of Prentice Hall PTR),
> and is available immediately.
>
> More details, including a sample chapter, the complete
> preface and table of contents, and a searchable index
> can be found from my web site, www.rite-group.com/rich .
> This URL can also be used to order a copy of the book.
>
> We now return you to your regular programming (pun
> intended!)..

They're still writing Unix programming books? It's like
the Seinfeld routine, "they're still improving Tide?"
What's wrong with the old books?

.

Colin B.

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 4:26:53 PM9/2/04
to
In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Forgive my indulgence, but I am pleased to announce the
> publication of my book, Solaris Systems Programming.

Congratulations Rich!

Now are you going to start contributing around here again?

(Kidding! I'm kidding folks)

Colin

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 5:07:24 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, squinny wrote:

> What's wrong with the old books?

Apart from being dated, nothing. After all, UNIX hasn't stood
still the last decade or two...

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 5:09:58 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Michael Laajanen wrote:

> You usually get what you pay for :))

Of course! That's why I only use Sun HW.

> I am a HW Consultant eng and when my prev. company said that everybody
> got to have wordprocessor, well since I don't have any x86 since Linux
> 0.99pl13 I got Frame, fantastic like Unix, hard to start with but wait
> and see, what it can't do in documents is not worth doing :))

Is it possible to manipulate Frame documents using standard UNIX tools?

> Not even Sun fully support x86, SRSS for instance!

NOW, agreed. But Sun has stated their intent to have parity between
Solaris SPARC and Solaris x86 wherever possible.

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 5:11:49 PM9/2/04
to
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Colin B. wrote:

> Congratulations Rich!

Thanks!

> Now are you going to start contributing around here again?

Nah, I thought I'd take the Maclaren F1 out for a spin to
my private jet, and then spend the weekend in Vegas. :-)

John D Groenveld

unread,
Sep 2, 2004, 7:40:10 PM9/2/04
to
[note the followup]

In article <Pine.SOL.4.58.04...@zaphod.rite-group.com>,


Rich Teer <rich...@rite-group.com> wrote:
>NOW, agreed. But Sun has stated their intent to have parity between
>Solaris SPARC and Solaris x86 wherever possible.

Its a shame and a bug that the Sun Ray Server Software product manager
in the Desktop unit refuses to state his intent for Solaris parity in
his product webpages. <URL:http://wwws.sun.com/software/sunray/>

John
groe...@acm.org

Bob Palowoda

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 3:49:49 AM9/3/04
to
groe...@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote in message news:<ch8b0q$4gg$1...@neuromancer.cse.psu.edu>...

But hey Sun released SSRS under GPL and that is what the Linux
community wanted right? It's not like Sun has the intention of
limiting the distribution of SRSS. At least now it can be backported
to Solaris.

---Bob

James Lee

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 5:51:23 AM9/3/04
to
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:11:09 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

>> Perhaps you'll upgrade groff from 1.16.1 to the current 1.19.1 from
>> blastwave - unless there is something else I should know.
>
> Nope. In fact, I think I did download that version. PATH troubles...
> :-)

Please expand.


> Oh, that reminds me: could you please NOT make the fonts package a
> prerequisite for groff (or ghostscript, or whatever)? I like to use my
> own fonts, so it'd be nice to have the option of NOT installing the ones
> that usually come with groff.

groff doesn't use fonts, just metrics and kerning. You can install your
own font description files in share/groff/$VERSION/dev* or set
GROFF_FONT_PATH to point to your own devname directories.

Ghostscript must provide certain core fonts as required by the PostScript
standard. Ghostscript doesn't provide the 136 Level 3 core fonts but does
provide a Level 2 set.

If you want to use additional fonts or your own font mappings (eg, you
have you own Times-Roman) then create your own Fontmap file (see
/opt/csw/share/ghostscript/lib/Fontmap) and set GS_FONTPATH, see
file:///opt/csw/share/doc/ghostscript/Use.htm#Font_lookup

Måns Rullgård

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 10:20:05 AM9/3/04
to
Rich Teer <rich...@rite-group.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Michael Laajanen wrote:
>
>> You usually get what you pay for :))
>
> Of course! That's why I only use Sun HW.

I got my Alpha machines free.

>> I am a HW Consultant eng and when my prev. company said that everybody
>> got to have wordprocessor, well since I don't have any x86 since Linux
>> 0.99pl13 I got Frame, fantastic like Unix, hard to start with but wait
>> and see, what it can't do in documents is not worth doing :))
>
> Is it possible to manipulate Frame documents using standard UNIX tools?

Not in any meaningful way. Sure, you can use cp, mv, rm etc.

--
Måns Rullgård
m...@mru.ath.cx

Måns Rullgård

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 10:22:28 AM9/3/04
to
"Colin B." <cbi...@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> writes:

> In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Forgive my indulgence, but I am pleased to announce the
>> publication of my book, Solaris Systems Programming.
>
> Congratulations Rich!
>
> Now are you going to start contributing around here again?

Now he'll just answer all questions with "read my book".

--
Måns Rullgård
m...@mru.ath.cx

Dragan Cvetkovic

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 10:26:11 AM9/3/04
to
Måns Rullgård <m...@mru.ath.cx> writes:

> "Colin B." <cbi...@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> writes:
>> Now are you going to start contributing around here again?
>
> Now he'll just answer all questions with "read my book".


He will just say, "page 77, line 11". Without even having to mention his
book :-)

Or should that be "page 77, verse 11"? :-)

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole No it isn't. L. E. J. Brouwer

!!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one !!!

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 11:54:13 AM9/3/04
to
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Now he'll just answer all questions with "read my book".

Make that "read my excellent book"! :-)

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 11:58:39 AM9/3/04
to
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, James Lee wrote:

> Please expand.

I had two copies of groff installed, in separate places. PATH
pointed to one, but I meant to use the latter (i.e., your version).
It was late... ;-)

> Ghostscript must provide certain core fonts as required by the PostScript
> standard. Ghostscript doesn't provide the 136 Level 3 core fonts but does
> provide a Level 2 set.

GhostScript must be what I was thinking.

> If you want to use additional fonts or your own font mappings (eg, you
> have you own Times-Roman) then create your own Fontmap file (see
> /opt/csw/share/ghostscript/lib/Fontmap) and set GS_FONTPATH, see
> file:///opt/csw/share/doc/ghostscript/Use.htm#Font_lookup

I'll do that. I actually bought the Type 1 Base Font set from Adobe,
as that contained all the fonts I used, and they're the same as the
fonts used by sdtimage (Display PostScript).

Alan Balmer

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 1:58:47 PM9/3/04
to
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:54:13 GMT, Rich Teer <rich...@rite-group.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
>> Now he'll just answer all questions with "read my book".
>
>Make that "read my excellent book"! :-)

Reminds me of reading several papers by William Waite about the Stage
2 macro processor, and getting not quite enough information to
implement it. I contacted Dr. Waite, and he said (with an evil grin,
at least in my mind's eye) "You need to buy my book."

It was an excellent book.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerc...@att.net

Alan Coopersmith

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 3:07:54 PM9/3/04
to
palo...@fiver.net (Bob Palowoda) writes in comp.unix.solaris:

|But hey Sun released SSRS under GPL

No such thing has ever happened or been announced as being planned.

--
________________________________________________________________________
Alan Coopersmith * al...@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coo...@Sun.COM
http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/ * http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/
Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

GreyCloud

unread,
Sep 3, 2004, 10:20:35 PM9/3/04
to

Rich Teer wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, James Lee wrote:
>
>
>>Please expand.
>
>
> I had two copies of groff installed, in separate places. PATH
> pointed to one, but I meant to use the latter (i.e., your version).
> It was late... ;-)
>
>
>>Ghostscript must provide certain core fonts as required by the PostScript
>>standard. Ghostscript doesn't provide the 136 Level 3 core fonts but does
>>provide a Level 2 set.
>
>
> GhostScript must be what I was thinking.
>
>
>>If you want to use additional fonts or your own font mappings (eg, you
>>have you own Times-Roman) then create your own Fontmap file (see
>>/opt/csw/share/ghostscript/lib/Fontmap) and set GS_FONTPATH, see
>>file:///opt/csw/share/doc/ghostscript/Use.htm#Font_lookup
>
>
> I'll do that. I actually bought the Type 1 Base Font set from Adobe,
> as that contained all the fonts I used, and they're the same as the
> fonts used by sdtimage (Display PostScript).
>

Out of curiosity... how much did you pay for the Type 1 Base Font set??

--
---------------------------------
The Golden Years Sux.

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 12:13:39 AM9/4/04
to
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, GreyCloud wrote:

> Out of curiosity... how much did you pay for the Type 1 Base Font set??

More than I had to, strictly speaking. I downloaded one of them
(Palatino Roman, IIRC), just to make sure that I could integrate
the Windoze version of the font with Solaris and Acrobat. That
cost $25 USD (or thereabouts). Once I'd successfully use Palatino
Roman, I downloaded the rest. IIRC, it cost me $100 USD for all
35 fonts. Damn good value, I thought.

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 12:55:08 AM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Rich Teer wrote:

> More than I had to, strictly speaking. I downloaded one of them
> (Palatino Roman, IIRC), just to make sure that I could integrate
> the Windoze version of the font with Solaris and Acrobat. That
> cost $25 USD (or thereabouts). Once I'd successfully use Palatino
> Roman, I downloaded the rest. IIRC, it cost me $100 USD for all
> 35 fonts. Damn good value, I thought.

Here's the URL to the "Type Basics" package I bought:

http://store.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_934.jhtml

And yes, it is $100 for the whole package.

Richard Kofler

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 2:45:36 AM9/4/04
to
Rich Teer wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Forgive my indulgence, but I am pleased to announce the
> publication of my book, Solaris Systems Programming.

[ ... parts of a nice add snipped ... ]

I like what I could see of the book so far.
Ordered my copy already.

Now I waiting for RT tools version 1.0 to appear
on www.virtualrich.com ;)

cu
dic_k
--
Richard Kofler
SOLID STATE EDV
Dienstleistungen GmbH
Vienna/Austria/Europe

Message has been deleted

William Park

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 1:19:02 PM9/4/04
to
In <comp.unix.programmer> Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
> The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by

1248 pages? A typos?

--
William Park <openge...@yahoo.ca>
Open Geometry Consulting, Toronto, Canada

Måns Rullgård

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 1:23:11 PM9/4/04
to
William Park <openge...@yahoo.ca> writes:

> In <comp.unix.programmer> Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
>> The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by
>
> 1248 pages? A typos?

Or maybe some creativity with the layout.

--
Måns Rullgård
m...@mru.ath.cx

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 2:34:17 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Richard Kofler wrote:

> I like what I could see of the book so far.
> Ordered my copy already.

Thank you!

> Now I waiting for RT tools version 1.0 to appear
> on www.virtualrich.com ;)

Now there's a thought... :-)

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 2:35:26 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, William Park wrote:

> In <comp.unix.programmer> Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
> > The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by
>
> 1248 pages? A typos?

No typo - it IS 1248 pages... The book's web site has the
full table of contents.

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 2:37:17 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Or maybe some creativity with the layout.

Absolutely NOT! I hate those books with 14 point type,
wide margins, and thick paper, which are designed to
give the impression of being good value ("oooh, it's a
thick book: it MUST be good...").

Måns Rullgård

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 3:31:11 PM9/4/04
to
Rich Teer <rich...@rite-group.com> writes:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
>> Or maybe some creativity with the layout.
>
> Absolutely NOT! I hate those books with 14 point type,
> wide margins, and thick paper, which are designed to
> give the impression of being good value ("oooh, it's a
> thick book: it MUST be good...").

I wasn't accusing you of anything like that. I was thinking of
micro-adjustments to make the page count come out exactly at 1248 if
it already happens to be close.

One of the more odd layouts I've come across was an ugly Java book
with bugs on the front page (and probably throughout the text as
well), of which I can't remember the title. It was missing a couple
of chapters near the middle, the page numbers making a giant leap
forward. The missing chapters were available on a CD stuck in the
back of the book. All this was printed on the heaviest paper on the
planet, making the final thing weigh in at nearly five pounds. For
those who might wonder, I did not buy the book.

--
Måns Rullgård
m...@mru.ath.cx

Paul Floyd

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 3:37:15 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:23:11 +0200, Måns Rullgård <m...@mru.ath.cx> wrote:
> William Park <openge...@yahoo.ca> writes:
>
>> In <comp.unix.programmer> Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
>>> The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by
>>
>> 1248 pages? A typos?
>
> Or maybe some creativity with the layout.

The book that Rich says is the inspriation for his (APUE) is 762 pages.
The standards have evolved a bit over the past twelve years. Also
it seems that Rich covers some things that are more general (CRT
functions), and things that are Solaris specific (STREAMS). So an extra
500 pages doesn't seem too surprising.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

Måns Rullgård

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 4:10:18 PM9/4/04
to
Paul Floyd <ro...@127.0.0.1> writes:

> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:23:11 +0200, Måns Rullgård <m...@mru.ath.cx> wrote:
>> William Park <openge...@yahoo.ca> writes:
>>
>>> In <comp.unix.programmer> Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
>>>> The book is a hardback with 1248 pages, is published by
>>>
>>> 1248 pages? A typos?
>>
>> Or maybe some creativity with the layout.
>
> The book that Rich says is the inspriation for his (APUE) is 762 pages.
> The standards have evolved a bit over the past twelve years. Also
> it seems that Rich covers some things that are more general (CRT
> functions), and things that are Solaris specific (STREAMS). So an extra
> 500 pages doesn't seem too surprising.

I wasn't surprised by the largeness of the number, but of the
individual digits and their order.

--
Måns Rullgård
m...@mru.ath.cx

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 4:20:32 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> I wasn't accusing you of anything like that. I was thinking of
> micro-adjustments to make the page count come out exactly at 1248 if
> it already happens to be close.

Oh, I see! The book is actually 1247 pages long: 1211 in the
main bit, plus xxxvi pages of front matter. Books are printed
in 16-page lumps called signatures, and 1248 is the nearest
signature to 1247 (rounded up). But I see what you're getting
at now: 1248 IS a cool number! :-)

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 4:22:23 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> I wasn't surprised by the largeness of the number, but of the
> individual digits and their order.

Maybe for my next book I should go for a Fibonaci series... ;-)

Barry Margolin

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 5:36:41 PM9/4/04
to

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
> > I wasn't surprised by the largeness of the number, but of the
> > individual digits and their order.
>
> Maybe for my next book I should go for a Fibonaci series... ;-)

Unless it will be ten volumes, the page count won't look too
interesting; the 4-digit Fibonacci series is 1123, prettt boring.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 5:47:57 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Barry Margolin wrote:

> Unless it will be ten volumes, the page count won't look too
> interesting; the 4-digit Fibonacci series is 1123, prettt boring.

Good point. I'm sure I can think of something... :-)

Dave Uhring

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 6:01:46 PM9/4/04
to
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:47:57 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> Unless it will be ten volumes, the page count won't look too
>> interesting; the 4-digit Fibonacci series is 1123, prettt boring.
>
> Good point. I'm sure I can think of something... :-)

You could add a *really complete* set of examples and make it 11235 pages
long ;-))

GreyCloud

unread,
Sep 4, 2004, 11:15:42 PM9/4/04
to

Måns Rullgård wrote:

I hate that when there are pages missing in a book.

Paul Floyd

unread,
Sep 5, 2004, 3:32:29 AM9/5/04
to
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:15:42 -0600, GreyCloud <mi...@cumulus.com> wrote:

> I hate that when there are pages missing in a book.

In the book that I'm currently reading, one of the chapters has no
capital V's (hence things like " isibleString" rather than
"VisibleString". Could have done with a bit more proofreading!

Andrew Gabriel

unread,
Sep 5, 2004, 6:05:25 AM9/5/04
to
In article <slrncjlgj...@bisanne.netpratique.fr>,

Paul Floyd <ro...@127.0.0.1> writes:
> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:15:42 -0600, GreyCloud <mi...@cumulus.com> wrote:
>
>> I hate that when there are pages missing in a book.
>
> In the book that I'm currently reading, one of the chapters has no
> capital V's (hence things like " isibleString" rather than
> "VisibleString". Could have done with a bit more proofreading!

That's the sort of thing you used to get with daisy wheel printers
when one of the petals had dropped off...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Beardy

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 3:13:42 AM9/6/04
to

Ahh yes... Never had that problem with golfball printers though.....

Thomas Dickey

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 8:13:47 AM9/6/04
to
In comp.unix.solaris Beardy <bea...@beardy.net> wrote:
>>
>> That's the sort of thing you used to get with daisy wheel printers
>> when one of the petals had dropped off...
>>

> Ahh yes... Never had that problem with golfball printers though.....

They could be damaged in an analogous manner.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net

Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 1:26:46 PM9/6/04
to

What happened to the back of the last page? A Moebius page, perhaps? :-)

The extended, overly complete version then would be 112358 pages, unless
the publisher insists on 16 page signatures... In that case I think a
112 pages is better, and probably saves the forests of the world, than a
staggering

1123581321345589144233377610987159725844181676510946177112865746368

pages :-)

Preben

Dave Uhring

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 1:40:05 PM9/6/04
to
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:26:46 +0000, Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg wrote:

> Dave Uhring wrote:

>> You could add a *really complete* set of examples and make it 11235 pages
>> long ;-))
>
> What happened to the back of the last page? A Moebius page, perhaps? :-)

LOL!!

Paul Floyd

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 3:48:34 PM9/6/04
to

Probably not a printer issue. The book in question is also available for
download as a PDF file. According to the document info, it was produced
with MS Word/Acrobat PDFWriter 3.02 for Windows.

Unless of course Acrobat PDFWriter takes its printer emulation to the
ultimate level.

A bientot
Paul

Colin B.

unread,
Sep 7, 2004, 2:53:52 PM9/7/04
to
In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer <rich...@rite-group.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Colin B. wrote:
>
>> Congratulations Rich!
>
> Thanks!
>
>> Now are you going to start contributing around here again?
>
> Nah, I thought I'd take the Maclaren F1 out for a spin to
> my private jet, and then spend the weekend in Vegas. :-)


Excellent! Swing by Calgary on the way. :-)

Rich Teer

unread,
Sep 7, 2004, 6:06:55 PM9/7/04
to
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Colin B. wrote:

> Excellent! Swing by Calgary on the way. :-)

Will do - Calgary's just a hop and a skip from Kelowna!

Beardy

unread,
Sep 8, 2004, 11:30:47 AM9/8/04
to
Thomas Dickey wrote:
> In comp.unix.solaris Beardy <bea...@beardy.net> wrote:
>
>>>That's the sort of thing you used to get with daisy wheel printers
>>>when one of the petals had dropped off...
>>>
>
>
>>Ahh yes... Never had that problem with golfball printers though.....
>
>
> They could be damaged in an analogous manner.
>

Yup, possibly a 4-iron.

Beardy

unread,
Sep 8, 2004, 11:32:11 AM9/8/04
to

M$ Weird is prob the culprit ;-)

Thomas Dickey

unread,
Sep 8, 2004, 11:24:30 AM9/8/04
to

> Yup, possibly a 4-iron.

no - the type elements could be knocked off. (by little old ladies)

Beardy

unread,
Sep 8, 2004, 12:53:52 PM9/8/04
to
Thomas Dickey wrote:
> In comp.unix.solaris Beardy <bea...@beardy.net> wrote:
>
>>Thomas Dickey wrote:
>>
>>>In comp.unix.solaris Beardy <bea...@beardy.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>>That's the sort of thing you used to get with daisy wheel printers
>>>>>when one of the petals had dropped off...
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Ahh yes... Never had that problem with golfball printers though.....
>>>
>>>
>>>They could be damaged in an analogous manner.
>>>
>
>
>>Yup, possibly a 4-iron.
>
>
> no - the type elements could be knocked off. (by little old ladies)
>

Hmm, I haven't been knocked off by a little old lady since the ex-wife ;-)

Beardy

unread,
Sep 8, 2004, 1:02:25 PM9/8/04