Live Media Solaris 11.4(+) x86_64 ?

Joerg

Feb 26, 2021, 5:12:00 PM2/26/21
Hi to all,

may I didn´t found it on the Oracle downloadsite during a quick look.....

But is there no liveboot ISO any more ( only text/automatet inst.) ?

thx
Joerg

John D Groenveld

Feb 26, 2021, 5:50:55 PM2/26/21
In article <s1brne$mnd$1...@ulric.tng.de>, Joerg <agen...@gmx.de> wrote:
>But is there no liveboot ISO any more ( only text/automatet inst.) ?

Correct.
<URL:https://www.oracle.com/solaris/solaris11/downloads/solaris11-install-downloads.html>

John
groe...@acm.org

Joerg

Feb 26, 2021, 7:50:32 PM2/26/21
So thanks a lot for my personal update to this.
Any known reason why they discontinued it ?

thx
joerg

Calum

Feb 27, 2021, 5:15:20 AM2/27/21
On 27/02/2021 00:50, Joerg wrote:

> So thanks a lot for my personal update to this.
> Any known reason why they discontinued it ?

Oracle is not interested in the desktop/laptop/developer market for
Solaris, and they laid off 90% of the staff who worked on it.

Joerg

Feb 27, 2021, 9:41:09 AM2/27/21
thx a lot for this information. I have known about the job-killing....
They disoblide themselves with that.
We here at home are using Oracle Solaris on the laptop and desktops, and
since then we hadn´t problems with malware or so anymore, and it is very
stable and scalable.

Anyhow may this IT infrastructure here at home is not usual for "normal"
"private" usage.....
T1000, sunblade 2500 silver (1,6 ghz, yeah still working), T5240, T3-1,
Sunrays, some raspies, 3 x86_64 laptops, yes - one win10 laptop.......
(the Tservers are mostly for the work of my wife - ocean-physics)

bye
Joerg