coiling hoses without tangling them

1 view

Peterthinking

Sep 18, 2003, 7:01:04 PM9/18/03
someone wanted to know how to coil hoses/cables so that when you picked up
the end from the coil and stretched it out the hose/cable laid out flat with
no kinks.

anyway I found the article in an old popular mechanics describing it and if
you still want it I'll make a little diagram of how to coil it up and post
it.

Peter

sorry about the cross posting....couldn't remember what group I saw the
request in.

Harry Chickpea

Sep 18, 2003, 7:50:21 PM9/18/03
"Peterthinking" <peterthin...@shaw.ca> wrote:

alt.sex.snakes?

Jed Margolin

Sep 18, 2003, 11:51:50 PM9/18/03

You alternate clockwise loops with counterclockwise loops, commonly
called inside loops and outside loops because of how the cable crosses
itself.

It's an old radioman's trick for coiling cable. (I learned it from an
old radioman.)

JM

Desert Traveler

Sep 19, 2003, 1:11:50 AM9/19/03

"Jed Margolin" <ne...@jmargolin.com> wrote in message

I learned about it at commercial diving school. We used it for diving hoses
and for wire rope. You can coil hoses one coil over, one coil under, or if
you figure eight it, it will come off with no kinks. It is easy to show the
one over one under, but hard to describe it.

Steve

Hermit God

Sep 19, 2003, 2:37:36 AM9/19/03
The over and under method mentioned above works and is also the one used by
commercial fishermen.

If you want an automated method, hoses and ropes will tend to coil
themselves in a (nearly) tangle-free pattern if simply fed into a
rectangular box of the appropriate size. The box size is largely a matter
of trial and error but should be as small as is practical for the particular
application. HUMOROUS WARNING: if the content of your box is dangerously
unwieldly, such as springy plastic hose or wire, don't be a fool and open it
(insert picture of snake-in-a-can here)...

Of course the best way to deal with hose is to wind it onto a spool, such as
the ones used on fire trucks.

Henry Kroll
Inventor, Writer, Web Server Operator, Fish Boat Captain
www.comptune.com

"Desert Traveler" <desertt...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

Slow Joe

Nov 7, 2003, 8:42:10 AM11/7/03
>I learned about it at commercial diving school. We used it for diving hoses
>and for wire rope. You can coil hoses one coil over, one coil under, or if
>you figure eight it, it will come off with no kinks. It is easy to show the
>one over one under, but hard to describe it.
>
>Steve

It's called flaking. Just ask any local sailor to show you how to
flake a line.

regards,
Joe

----------------
It matters not how experienced you are, nor how dedicated to the task. If you're not having fun, you are doing it wrong.

Dale Farmer

Nov 7, 2003, 7:52:48 PM11/7/03

Slow Joe wrote:

> >I learned about it at commercial diving school. We used it for diving hoses
> >and for wire rope. You can coil hoses one coil over, one coil under, or if
> >you figure eight it, it will come off with no kinks. It is easy to show the
> >one over one under, but hard to describe it.
> >
> >Steve
> >

> It's called flaking. Just ask any local sailor to show you how to
> flake a line.
>
> regards,
> Joe

I've also heard it called over-under coil, audio coil, and figure-8 coil.
You can also find it described in any sort of water safety instruction
book as a method of quickly tying a series of knots into a coil of rope.
ONly for our purposes, you don't pass the end through the middle and
toss the coil back out.

--Dale

Richard Smith

Aug 23, 2023, 5:36:19 PM8/23/23
That's as I understand it - "figure-of-eight" it - alternate
anticlockwise and clockwise half-turns. Very much works for electric
power cables, ropes and braids, etc., as well.