12v dc pump for small pond/fountain application?

Kiwanda

Jun 12, 2011, 11:06:13 AM6/12/11
For many years I've run an AC pond pump from a 25w PV panel, inverter, and gel battery. We've recently moved and I've decided not to reinstall that system, which we manually switched on when we wanted the water feature to operate.

Now I'd like to just go direct solar, with a small submerged DC pump connected directly to the panel so the water runs whenever there's sun. The problem is I can't seem to find a suitable pump. Everything I see is either a $600 well pump, a $10 Chinese bilge pump made for intermittent use in a boat, or is an AC pump designed for ponds. The only exceptions have been what appear to be very poorly made pumps that are packaged into "solar fountain systems" with junk PV panels and other stuff I don't want or need.

Can anyone point me toward a source for a reasonably-priced 12v DC submersible pump that will deliver just 10-20GPM in a low-demand application like running a small water feature in my yard?

Thanks,

Kiwanda

Harrison J. Bounel

Jun 12, 2011, 11:31:28 AM6/12/11

look for rv pump

Pete S

Jun 12, 2011, 11:46:49 AM6/12/11
How about using a 120 volt swamp cooler pump with a cheap inverter? The
pumps are about $15 and a 12VDC inverter that size can't cost much more. I
have used such a swamp cooler pump to pump coolant for my surface grinder
for more than 10 years. The pump still works.

Google "swamp cooler pump"

Pete Stanaitis

danny burstein

Jun 12, 2011, 2:45:21 PM6/12/11
In <c4f04ff2-9148-4b82...@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com> Kiwanda <kiwa...@gmail.com> writes:

>Can anyone point me toward a source for a reasonably-priced 12v DC submersi=
>ble pump that will deliver just 10-20GPM in a low-demand application like r=

>unning a small water feature in my yard?

Head over to an auto junk yard and get one of the many 12VDC water pumps
they'll have lying around.

- I'm in the midst of trying this out myself. I picked one up
for $10 (new would be a lot more). Don't have the solar panel yet.
It worked "proof of concept" with a 12v battery...

dan...@panix.com

Kiwanda

Jun 13, 2011, 6:57:25 PM6/13/11
On Jun 12, 10:46 am, "Pete S" <sp...@baldwin-telecom.net> wrote:
> How about using a 120 volt swamp cooler pump with a cheap inverter?

I already have an inverter/AC pump setup, which I used at our last
place. I'm looking for some way to avoid the noise and efficiency loss
of the inverter.

Re the auto pump, I want a submersible pump so it probably will have
to be something designed for a pond or fountain. There are dozens of
AC pumps available for $20 or so but I can't find a DC pump other than
the $$$ well pumps which would be ridiculous in this application.
Bilge pumps and the like are cheap, but I don't think they are rated
for 12-14 hour per day constant use (and they are noisy and likely too
high volume for this application).

Thanks,

Kiwanda

bob haller

Jul 12, 2011, 12:02:55 PM7/12/11

harbor freight sells a solar powered pond pump..........

Chris

Jul 13, 2011, 10:01:50 AM7/13/11
Before doing any purchasing, you might want to check out my blog that
covers solar pond pumps in detail:

Do Solar Pond Pumps Work?
http://thesolarpowerexpert.com/do-solar-pond-pumps-work/

Solar Pond Pump Kits
http://thesolarpowerexpert.com/solar-pond-pump-kits/

Solar Powered Fountains Buyer Guide
http://thesolarpowerexpert.com/read-this-before-buying-solar-powered-fountains/

Upgrading a Solar Pond Pump Kit
http://thesolarpowerexpert.com/upgrading-a-solar-pond-pump-kit/

I've also got several other DIY solar articles on there that may help
you out.

Cheers!

Chris Troutner
thesolarpowerexpert.com

ja...@emeginc.com

Jul 25, 2016, 8:46:46 PM7/25/16

Try to avoid any bilge pump, RV pump, they don't design for continuous running.

search "aeo pump", you should able to find a brushless DC pump deliver up to 410GPH which is closed to what you are looking for and add one more for double the flow

or buy from Amazon from the link below
http://amzn.to/2ad30Wp

Martin Eastburn

Aug 16, 2016, 12:39:10 PM8/16/16
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/submersible-aquarium-pumps/waveline.html

I'd go for a continuous pump for a large fish tank system. When in the
water, they are DC. Most have controllers.
Some are 600gpm but there are smaller ones.

Martin