Looking for a Solarex (BP) MSX-120

marc....@ieee.org

Jan 9, 2006, 4:22:42 PM1/9/06

I have an array of MSX-120 panels. One of them was destroyed in a
recent storm. I know the Solarex (BP) MSX-120 is no longer made but
perhaps someone out there might know where I could find one to buy.
Maybe a dealer or installer has an old one lying around?

Thanks,

Marc
marc....@ieee.org

Merlin-7 KI4ILB

Jan 9, 2006, 7:09:35 PM1/9/06
You may have to look on the web and find another brand of panel that is the
same output and close to the same size (if your worried about mounting
problems)
You may still have to modify the mounts a bit.
Just curious, how badly was it destroyed?
The reason I ask is, I have one 80 watt panel that the glass was shattered
on during shipment.( the shipper replaced it but I got to keep the damaged
one)
I went over the whole panel with a voltmeter a led with resestor and a
flash light.
I started in one corner and slowly went thru the whole panel trying to find
a BAD place on the panel. All of the panel checked out ok. So I covered the
broken glass with lexan.
I was using the led as a very low amp meter (as I do not have one ) The
only problem I found in the output was when the light hit the panel at a
right angle ( the light hitting the edges of the broken glass I guess)
If the Glass is just shattered, check it's output. If a tree broke it in
half ignor the above.
I still may want to buy it off you for experamentation ...
Joe

marc....@ieee.org

Jan 9, 2006, 7:56:56 PM1/9/06
Joe,

It's more than shattered glass -- It looks like someone fired a 2x4
from a cannon through it. The hole is big enough to put a hand
through.

Actaully it looks like I might be able to use a pair of BP 365s.
Almost exactly the same footprint and power output for the pair (not
surprising since BP bought Solarex).

As for the old panel I plan to try and salvage the good 3/4's. All the
glass is shattered but the damage is rather localized.

Marc

Merlin-7 KI4ILB

Jan 9, 2006, 8:46:41 PM1/9/06
just curious..
do you know what hit it?
At what angle?
And about it's speed?

Just curious at just what it takes to destroy a panel.
here in South Carolina the sun passes about 80 degrees overhead.That means
my panels would have to be pointing almost straight up. With summer hail
storms and what not, I think I may leave them at a lower angle.
Joe

prcs...@yahoo.com

Jan 9, 2006, 9:02:17 PM1/9/06
Marc,

Contact Colin Gates at Southwest PV for the 365. Let me know if you
can't get in touch. I'll help you source.

prcsolex

Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources

Jan 9, 2006, 9:25:52 PM1/9/06
Solarex used to stock a few of the older modules that were reserved for
replacement purposes. Have your dealer/distributor contact the factory.

Bill Kaszeta
Photovoltaic Resources Int'l
Tempe Arizona USA
bi...@pvri-removethis.biz

prcs...@yahoo.com

Jan 9, 2006, 9:29:13 PM1/9/06
Sorry to be "Debbie Downer" but the remaining 3/4's will be dead once
the elements infiltrate the substrate and superstrate.

solar...@yahoo.com

prcs...@yahoo.com

Jan 9, 2006, 9:39:09 PM1/9/06
All "MSX" modules are gone. BP Solar, formerly Solarex, has no more.
I've inquired before. The SX 65 is fits the same footprint but has a
silver frame as opposed to the MSX bronze frame. Depending on the
application, I would recommend a different module dedicated to a
different charge controller.

solar...@yahoo.com

Message has been deleted

psycow...@gmail.com

Feb 29, 2020, 1:02:08 PM2/29/20
MSX120MC modules I have two of them I'd sell them both for $250 Eric 253-242-0770