Re: Trump raid leaves me with 8 important questions as a Senate Judiciary Committee member

$2 Per Government Rodent

Aug 11, 2022, 6:40:02 PM8/11/22
In article <t1lkin$34868$2...@news.freedyn.de>
<governo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bad move FBI. Really bad move.

On August 8, 2022, the FBI executed a search warrant on former
President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence. With merely 91
days until the midterm elections, it is incumbent on Attorney
General Garland to provide the country with immediate answers.
Every day spent in a season of speculation adds to the growing
claims that the search was politically motivated. As a lawyer,
former federal prosecutor, and current member of the Senate
Judiciary Committee, I have questions:

1. Did Attorney General Merrick Garland personally sign off on
this action?

2. Why break into the safe at Trump's Mar-a-Lago home rather
than seize it, take it into custody, and seek a warrant to open
it?

3. Why execute a search warrant rather than seek the items
through an informal process such as a subpoena?

4. If this is genuinely about presidential records, why would
the former President — who was in charge of declassifying
documents — be subject to prosecution for retaining custody of
the same documents? It's important to note that classification
authority belongs to the president of the United States — NOT to
bureaucrats at the National Archives.

5. If this is the product of the growing political weaponization
of federal law enforcement agencies, shouldn't all Americans be
outraged by the Democrats' plan to hire an additional 87,000
federal agents?

6. How is this aggressive action defensible in light of the
FBI's and DOJ's treatment of Hillary Clinton, who was never
subjected to such an invasive intrusion of privacy, even though
she mishandled classified material and destroyed evidence?

7. Why should we assume that the federal bureaucracy isn't
targeting Republicans when the FBI and DOJ have taken no action
regarding flagrant violations of the law by pro-abortion
extremists threatening Supreme Court justices at their homes?

8. Did FBI Director Christopher Wray intentionally wait to carry
out the raid until after his oversight hearing with the Senate
Judiciary Committee last week? I asked him whether he was
concerned with warrantless "backdoor searches" under Section 702
of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. He seemed
unperturbed.

I sure hope those at the FBI have dotted their i's and crossed
their t's. If there’s something we don't know, something that
will clarify the reasons for the raid, then the FBI needs to
articulate that justification soon as possible. If there isn't,
we've got problems at the FBI.

Federal agents have never searched a former president's private
residence. There has been a lot of talk in the political ether
of "crossing the Rubicon." No doubt, this sets a dangerous
precedent. One that could lead to political weaponization of the
federal bureaucracy, the likes of which were once limited to
banana republics such as Venezuela.

This unprecedented raid demands an unprecedented explanation.
Otherwise, I fear they may be no way to put Pandora back in her
box.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trump-raid-8-important-questions-
senate-judiciary-committee-member