CONCEPT: "negative intelligence"

Jorn Barger

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Wasn't it "Annie Hall" that turned the phrase 'negative space' into
a catchphrase/punchline?

I actually heard it used seriously the other night, in a show about
cinematography... and it occurs to me that it could be morphed into
a concept called "negative intelligence" that refers to *the quality
that prevails when intelligence is absent*.

And what I notice on netnews is that negative intelligence rules
almost everywhere-- newsgroups are great sucking black-holes of
negative intelligence, where the greatest bigots have the loudest
voices, and the greatest say...

The way people get smarter, generally, is by looking at multiple
points of view, and letting these pov's 'debate among themselves' in
the most even-handed manner possible. But in newsgroups, people who
try to lay things out evenhandedly get massively squelched by fucking
idiots...

just my opinion ;^/

-==---
... i loved you, so i drew these tides of men into my hands... _+m"m+_"+_
lynx http://www.mcs.net/~jorn/ ! Jp Jp qh qh
best-of news:alt.music.category-freak ! O O O O
ftp://ftp.mcs.com/mcsnet.users/jorn/ Yb Yb dY dY
...and wrote my will across the sky in stars. --R.Graves "Y_ "Y5m2Y" "

YoYo

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

In article <4nvikl$i...@Venus.mcs.com>, Jorn Barger <jo...@MCS.COM> wrote:

>Wasn't it "Annie Hall" that turned the phrase 'negative space' into
>a catchphrase/punchline?

I thought it was "negative capability".

--
YoYo |"Gather up these weary bones / Another day to muster..."
yo...@io.com | -Bill Mallonee, "Certain Slant of Light"

Jorn Barger

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In article <4o09mq$k...@bermuda.io.com>, YoYo <yo...@io.com> wrote:
>In article <4nvikl$i...@Venus.mcs.com>, Jorn Barger <jo...@MCS.COM> wrote:
>
>>Wasn't it "Annie Hall" that turned the phrase 'negative space' into
>>a catchphrase/punchline?
>
>I thought it was "negative capability".

Happily, this is 1996, and I can go type this in to Altavista,
which confirms you're right... though the movie was Manhattan.

Going back to my 'negative intelligence' argument, I think this
concept may be related to the concept of a Trickster god, like
Loki... and to Murphy's Law.

Cameron Laird

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <4o4b4j$c...@Venus.mcs.com>, Jorn Barger <jo...@MCS.COM> wrote:
>In article <4o09mq$k...@bermuda.io.com>, YoYo <yo...@io.com> wrote:
>>In article <4nvikl$i...@Venus.mcs.com>, Jorn Barger <jo...@MCS.COM> wrote:
>>
>>>Wasn't it "Annie Hall" that turned the phrase 'negative space' into
>>>a catchphrase/punchline?
>>
>>I thought it was "negative capability".
>
>Happily, this is 1996, and I can go type this in to Altavista,
>which confirms you're right... though the movie was Manhattan.
.
.
.
I thought it was John Keats <URL:http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/
~maldoror/rcmbtx17.html> (for example), not Diane Keaton.
You're quite right; AltaVista is a blessing.
--

Cameron Laird http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
cla...@NeoSoft.com +1 713 623 8000 #227