Death penalty all but abolished

Rudy Canoza

Jun 29, 2022, 3:40:30 PM6/29/22
America’s ‘Machinery of Death’ Is Slowly Grinding to a Halt

June 29, 2022, 5:00 a.m. ET

By Maurice Chammah

Fifty years ago, as the Supreme Court was gearing up to hear arguments in Roe v.
Wade, the justices thrust themselves into another fierce public debate. In the
case of Furman v. Georgia, the court threw out the entire architecture of
capital punishment, with several justices arguing it was excessive, arbitrary
and marked by racial disparities.

It had been five years since the United States had executed anyone, and just
half of Americans supported capital punishment. The country seemed to be on the
brink of joining the British and the Canadians, abandoning the noose and the
electric chair as artifacts of a more punitive past.

Of course, that’s not what happened. It took half a century to undo Roe, but
Furman was wiped away in just four years. Support for executions surged, state
officials rewrote the laws, and the Supreme Court endorsed their efforts.

The public seems to have returned to the same ambivalence about the death
penalty that preceded the Furman decision. Public opinion polls conducted by
Gallup show support for capital punishment hovers just above 50 percent — its
lowest point since the early 1970s. Death sentences and executions are both
falling, thanks in large part to aggressive efforts by defense lawyers.

Last year, just 18 people were sentenced to death in the United States, down
from 315 in 1996, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.
Twenty-seven states retain capital punishment, but just 14 have carried out an
execution in the past five years. About a third of the country’s 2,500 death row
prisoners are in California and other states with official moratoriums on
executions.

The Supreme Court, with six conservative justices, has largely left it to state
and local leaders to decide who should die and by what method. One might assume
that as with abortion, the court’s approach would reflect a sharp divide between
red and blue states, but there is far less uniformity among Republican leaders
on the death penalty than on abortion. While some conservative governors and
attorneys general pursue executions, a growing number of lawmakers on the right
are teaming up with civil rights groups and Democrats to curtail the punishment
or even abolish it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/opinion/death-penalty-executions.html

It will be abolished. It should be.

Polycarp

Jun 29, 2022, 3:52:34 PM6/29/22
On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 12:40:25 -0700, Rudy Canoza <notg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>It will be abolished. It should be.

You want it. You've said it, dwarf.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 29, 2022, 4:03:51 PM6/29/22
On 6/29/2022 12:49 PM, Jack-off Skeeter Shit-4-Braincell <d...@shit.invalid>,
HIV+ cocksucker and convicted child molester, stupidly bawled and lied:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 12:40:25 -0700, Rudy Canoza <notg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Tell that to the families of people that killed by assholes.

They don't have any say in the matter, Jack-off Skeeter Shit-4-Braincell, nor
should they.

David Hartung

Jun 29, 2022, 7:09:29 PM6/29/22
With what would it be replaced?

Rudy Canoza

Jun 29, 2022, 7:14:14 PM6/29/22
Prison sentences, as it usually is now anyway.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 29, 2022, 7:34:18 PM6/29/22
On 6/29/2022 4:20 PM, Jack-off Skeeter Shit-4-Braincell <d...@shit.invalid>, HIV+
cocksucker and convicted child molester, stupidly bawled and lied:

> Why should we feed and house them?

You already do, Jack-off Skeeter Shit-4-Braincell.

Siri Cruise

Jun 29, 2022, 7:37:14 PM6/29/22
In article <C7edncwQiME-RiH_...@giganews.com>,
David Hartung <da...@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> With what would it be replaced?

It will continue in unchristian dark spots like Texas and Florida.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
I am an Andrea Chen sockpuppet. insults Islam. Mohammed

David Hartung

Jun 29, 2022, 8:30:07 PM6/29/22
What length of prison sentence is appropriate to replace a death penalty?

Rudy Canoza

Jun 29, 2022, 8:45:01 PM6/29/22
That's up to the judge acting under sentencing guidelines.

You're not posing good-faith questions, as usual.

David Hartung

Jun 29, 2022, 8:53:29 PM6/29/22
The question was right on point, and just like you always do, you have
dodged answering it.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 29, 2022, 8:55:48 PM6/29/22
The question was in bad faith, yet I answered it anyway. There was no dodging.

Mitchell Holman

Jun 29, 2022, 10:09:23 PM6/29/22
David Hartung <da...@Hotmail.com> wrote in
LWOP. Let them die in prison.

Charles Manson died in prison, Richard
Speck died in prison, Jeffrey Dahmer died
in prison, John Gotti died in prison, Jack
Ruby died in prison, James Earl Ray died in
prison, Richard Ramirez died in prison, even
the Boston Strangler Albert DeSalve died in
prison.

Why the expensive rush to execute them?

Mitchell Holman

Jun 29, 2022, 10:11:05 PM6/29/22
David Hartung <da...@Hotmail.com> wrote in
That's rich, considering YOUR dodge of my
question to you about what guns you think are
too dangerous to be sold to civilians.

Do you have an answer yet?

George GasKorn

Jun 29, 2022, 11:30:03 PM6/29/22
In article <815vK.391107$zgr9....@fx13.iad>
That's cruel and inhuman punishment. If you're not going to
kill them, set them free.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 29, 2022, 11:32:20 PM6/29/22
> That's cruel and inhuman [sic] punishment.

It's not, and you weren't even pretending to make a serious comment.

%

Jun 30, 2022, 12:04:24 AM6/30/22
and let them live at your house

George GasKorn

Jun 30, 2022, 2:45:03 AM6/30/22
In article <C5qdnaWOfMxfvSD_...@giganews.com>
For about 5 seconds. I see it as a community service and
business opportunity.

Death row inmates make excellent projectile test dummies and
fertilizer.

David Hartung

Jun 30, 2022, 6:29:50 AM6/30/22
That would work for me.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 30, 2022, 10:36:43 AM6/30/22
This was not a good-faith question. It was a troll attempt; it was Hartung
JAQing off.

>>      LWOP. Let them die in prison.
>
> That would work for me.

Not going to happen. *Already*, some people convicted of first degree murder
are sentenced to life sentences *with* possibility of parole. So, when capital
punishment is abolished, as it shortly will be, we will see a mix of life
sentences with and without possibility of parole, and probably some determinate
sentences as well. That's what will happen.

BeamMeUpScotty

Jun 30, 2022, 10:53:37 AM6/30/22
Life in solitary confinement to try to keep other prisoners and the
guards safe... doesn't always work, there may need to be an option for
people too dangerous to handle.

At that point there is going to have to be cruel measures taken, I don't
believe the government should have the power to kill people when there's
a safe and more humane way to deal with prisoners. They should only be
executed when the Government can't keep them in a facility and handle
the person safely for everyone coming into contact with the prisoner.

The main objective is to make sure no one else is murdered. How that is
accomplished should be with the least necessary brutality and violence.

--
-That's karma-

Scout

Jun 30, 2022, 11:01:20 AM6/30/22
On 6/30/2022 7:53 AM, #ReamMeUpTheAssSnotty, brain-damaged fucktard who rode his
scooter into a tree while not wearing a helmet, stupidly bawled and lied:
No.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 30, 2022, 11:17:57 AM6/30/22
My fluffer at the Jolly Kone Parking Lot!

Bring Your Cock To the Jolly Kone!!!
It's The Central Valley's Fellatio Zone!
If You're On The Left or On The Right
I'll Suck Your Cock and I Won't Bite!
Rudy Canoza Will Make Sure You Get Blown!
I'll Make You Cum and I'll Make you Moan!
On Your Cock My Skills I'll Hone!
You Know My Skills Are Quite Well Known!
Those Skills, You Know, Are Unconcealed!
I've Sucked Every Cock In Bakersfield!
Watch Me Work That Hardened Bone!
I'm Right On Top Of The Skull Fuck Throne™!

David Hartung

Jun 30, 2022, 1:37:34 PM6/30/22
On 6/30/22 12:32, Somebody too wrote:
> Rudy sets himself up for another loss.

If a crime is serious enough to warrant the consideration of a death
sentence, then short of death, the acceptable punishment is life without
the possibility for parole.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 30, 2022, 1:47:30 PM6/30/22
On 6/30/2022 10:37 AM, David Hartung, filthy lying philandering white
supremacist, lied:
No, that is not the only acceptable punishment — not even in your shithole state.

97-3-21. (1) (a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this
subsection for a juvenile offender, every person who shall be convicted of
first-degree murder shall be sentenced by the court to imprisonment for life
in the custody of the Department of Corrections.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2020/html/SB/2100-2199/SB2162IN.htm

Life without parole is a possible sentence in shithole Mississippi for first
degree murder, but it is not the *only* possible sentence.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 30, 2022, 1:49:43 PM6/30/22
On 6/30/2022 10:32 AM, Jack-off Skeeter Shit-4-Braincell <d...@shit.invalid>,
HIV+ cocksucker and convicted child molester, stupidly bawled and lied:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:36:38 -0700, Rudy Canoza <notg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Rudy beats the fuck out of me again.

Yes.

%

Jul 1, 2022, 11:18:45 AM7/1/22
On 2022-07-01 3:29 a.m., Attila wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 17:44:57 -0700, Rudy Canoza
> <notg...@gmail.com> in alt.atheism with message-id
> Life on the moon with a 10 minute air supply.

that's the same as gas

governo...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2022, 12:37:27 PM7/1/22
On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 11:31:00 -0600, Somebody too <nu...@biz.invalid>
wrote:

>They wasted no time killing their victims.

Some years back an elderly woman was found brutally murdered by
repeated stabbing after a neighbor reported screaming coming from her
house.

A few blocks away, police arrested a black male with blood on his
clothes. He claimed he was a butcher at a local supermarket and was
walking home from work. He was convicted and sentenced to death.

While on death row, his appeal attorneys realized that during trial,
the prosecutor had shown photographs of the bloody clothes but the
blood itself had never been tested for type. They got a court order
to do so and no human blood was found.

Swill
--
Lock 'im up!

Rudy Canoza

Jul 1, 2022, 2:23:26 PM7/1/22
On 7/1/2022 11:15 AM, demonstrating his own futility once again, the geriatric
no-testosterone imbecile came back with still more stupidity and futility:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:36:52 -0400, governo...@gmail.com
> in alt.atheism with message-id
> That must have been a lot of years back. Today such tests
> are automatic

Bullshit.

%

Jul 1, 2022, 2:29:46 PM7/1/22
On 2022-07-01 11:13 a.m., Attila wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 08:18:37 -0700, % <purse...@gmail.com>
> in alt.atheism with message-id
> Only in the result.

isn't that what we're talking here

%

Jul 1, 2022, 4:53:41 PM7/1/22
On 2022-07-01 12:16 p.m., Attila wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 11:29:38 -0700, % <purse...@gmail.com>
> in alt.atheism with message-id
> The question was on a replacement for the death penalty. I
> would submit life without parole is only a death penalty
> spread out over a number of years. Why prolong a very
> expensive process.

that's the law the people voted for

%

Jul 1, 2022, 7:50:55 PM7/1/22
On 2022-07-01 3:47 p.m., Attila wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 13:53:32 -0700, % <purse...@gmail.com>
> in alt.atheism with message-id
> Oh? I was not aware laws were passed by popular vote in the
> US. I thought legislatures did that.

i guess you only studied US history taught by US historians

%

Jul 1, 2022, 9:14:28 PM7/1/22
On 2022-07-01 6:05 p.m., Attila wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:50:48 -0700, % <purse...@gmail.com>
> in alt.atheism with message-id
> I am not familiar with how laws are passed elsewhere. Like
> gods, there are so many to choose from.

it's like an election there's a vote and a law is passed ,
or not , you know , like the americans do

governo...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2022, 5:48:51 PM7/2/22
On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 14:52:40 -0600, Somebody too <nu...@biz.invalid>
wrote:

>>> That must have been a lot of years back. Today such tests
>>> are automatic

Exactly, but the police and prosecutor chose not to run the tests and
built the case without the blood tests, neither Judge nor Public
Defender objecting. The bloody clothes were allowed untested and the
jury convicted and sentenced him to death. Fortunately he was freed.

In 2004 Rick Perry, while governor of Texas, executed Cameron
Willingham. "Prior to the execution, Willingham’s defense attorneys
presented expert testimony regarding the new arson investigation to
the state’s highest court, as well as to Texas Governor Rick Perry. No
relief was granted and Willingham was executed on February 17, 2004.
Coincidentally, less than a year after Willingham’s execution, arson
evidence presented by some of the same experts who had appealed for
relief in Willingham’s case helped free Ernest Willis from Texas’s
death row. The experts noted that the evidence in the Willingham case
was nearly identical to the evidence used to exonerate Willis.
(Chicago Tribune, December 9, 2004)."

It got national attention when Perry executed him despite the
exonerating evidence.

Nathaniel Woods
Alabama — Convicted: 2005; Executed: 2020

Nathaniel Woods was sentenced to death after a non-unanimous jury
sentencing recommendation in August 2005 for the killings of three
Alabama police officers. His case featured several hallmarks of
wrongful conviction: official misconduct, coerced informant testimony,
and racial discrimination.

Domineque Ray
Alabama — Convicted: 1999; Executed: 2019
The records [found by attorneys after trial] documented prosecutors’
knowledge that Owden [the only witness] had schizophrenia and was
suffering from delusions and auditory hallucinations when he accused
Ray of the rape and murder and testified against him. Ray’s lawyers
argued that the prosecution’s deliberate suppression of the mental
health evidence, despite being aware of Owden’s mental illness,
violated Ray’s right to due process and entitled him to a new trial.
As Ray attempted to litigate that issue, Alabama prosecutors
successfully petitioned the state courts to set Ray’s execution date.
The Alabama state and federal courts dismissed Ray’s due process claim
and on the day of his execution, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to
review the merits of his prosecutorial misconduct claim.

So when you want to know why BLM is protesting injustice in the courts
and police departments, that's the kind of thing they're talking
about.