Racist RepubliCONs Close Black Polls

2 views
Skip to first unread message

silverback

unread,
Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
to
By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
primary.

The GOP, however, says the move only reflects the
availability of poll workers.

The Republicans said last week they would use paper
ballots and consolidate some polling places for the party's Feb. 19
presidential primary because they must rely on volunteers to
run the election.

A complaint asking the Justice Department to investigate
the GOP plan was filed by state Rep. Todd Rutherford, a black
Democrat. He said that in the 1996 primary, the Republicans
did not operate ballot boxes in many predominantly black
precincts of downtown Columbia, while opening all polling
places in majority white precincts.

''Cutting off access to the polls for people who live in
my district is disturbing,'' Rutherford said.

State Republican Chairman Henry McMaster called the
complaint ''ridiculous'' and said the availability of volunteers
and money is what determines which polling places are
opened.

The GOP often gets little cooperation from
Democrat-controlled county election commissions in some
areas, McMaster said.

Justice Department spokeswoman Christine DeBartolo said
the complaint had been received and that officials would review
it to ''determine what's appropriate.''

In South Carolina, political parties must pay for and
run their own primaries. Voters from all precincts can vote, but they
must go to an open polling site. And the primaries are open to
all registered voters, not just members of one party.

McMaster predicted that Democrats also won't be able to
open all precincts for their March 9 caucus and primary, which
will select delegates to a nominating convention.

''I presume Mr. Rutherford will file the same complaint
against the Democratic Party. No party has enough people to open all
1,800 precincts,'' McMaster said.

Rutherford said he framed the complaint after talks with
state Democratic Party Chairman Dick Harpootlian and Gov. Jim
Hodges.

''Why don't they consolidate white suburban precincts?''
Harpootlian said. ''They don't do that because they know
people go to vote at a certain place.''

''It demonstrates the Republican Party only wants white
people to vote Feb. 19. This is politics of exclusion,'' Harpootlian
said.

The complaint was filed by lawyer A. Lee Parks Jr. of
Atlanta, who said he believed the GOP was making it more difficult
for blacks to vote as Republicans, including those who want to
vote for black GOP presidential hopeful Alan Keyes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

hmmm lets see this is the same state that flies the confederate flag.
Anyone wants to doubt the racists nature of the republiCONs now?


*****************************************************

GDY Weasel
emailers remove the spam buster

For those seeking enlightenment visit the White Rose at
http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/whiterose.htm

Do your patriotic duty and vote for your favorite blithering idiot at
http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/award.html

======================================================

Michael Ejercito's solution to global warming

If the goverment wanted to end global warming, it would use its
nuclear arsenal to put enough dust into the atmoshpere
to reduce sunlight, creating a nuclear winter.

And just to prove to the world that Dan Quayle
has nothing over him, Micheal wrote.

"the problem is not people are not being
paid enough,but the costs of goods and
services are too high."


************************************************

Coleman E. Howard

unread,
Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
to
silverback (gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com) wrote:
: By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38

: COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
: Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
: polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
: primary.

(facts snipped for space)

Very good point, and this reminds me of the GRANDFATHER CLAUSE, which was
used to keep minorities from voting, even when the law said they could.

ceh

guy-jin

unread,
Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
to
In article <85kqvn$ig5$3...@hecate.umd.edu>,

how did that (grandfather clause) work?
since your daddy couldent vote, neither
can you?

none of this, sadly, suprises me. fundies
will do anything they can to get their
way...

--
<fakehtmltags><signature>
yet another contribution to the glut of .sig files;
a.a#1706;now there are no limits(SEGA!);most i can fit in4 row72 chars
</signature></fakehtmltags>


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Rich Travsky

unread,
Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
to
"Coleman E. Howard" wrote:
>
> silverback (gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com) wrote:
> : By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38
>
> : COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
> : Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
> : polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
> : primary.
>
> (facts snipped for space)
>
> Very good point, and this reminds me of the GRANDFATHER CLAUSE, which was
> used to keep minorities from voting, even when the law said they could.

And further reminds us of something more recent:

http://www.prospect.org/archives/46/46valelly.html

Recall that George Bush won the presidency in 1988 partly by
savaging Willie Horton. His chief electoral strategist, the
late Lee Atwater, used racial polarization to build the
Republican Party. This was the national backdrop to events in
North Carolina in the fall of 1990.

The Helms for Senate Committee and the North Carolina
Republican Party arranged for 125,000 postcards to be mailed
to black-majority voting precincts. The cards falsely stated
that people who had recently changed residence would not be
allowed to vote under North Carolina law, would be required to
prove residence on election day, and risked federal criminal
penalties of up to five years in jail if they gave false
information. Two separate targeted mailings occurred after
official voter registration figures showed that the percentage
increase in African-American registration in the run-up to the
election was twice that of white voters (10.6 percent, as
opposed to 5.3 percent for whites). Polls also showed that
Helms's African-American opponent, Democrat Harvey Gantt, was
ahead eight points.

When thousands of postcards came back as undeliverable, the
North Carolina Republican Party then began to draw up lists of
voters who would be challenged on election day itself. The
Justice Department swung against this last effort, and the Helms
campaign dropped it.

tony G as Frank Cannon

unread,
Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
to
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:18:53 GMT, guy-jin <gu...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In article <85kqvn$ig5$3...@hecate.umd.edu>,


> ceho...@csc.umd.edu (Coleman E. Howard) wrote:
>> silverback (gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com) wrote:
>> : By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38
>>
>> : COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
>> : Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
>> : polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
>> : primary.
>>
>> (facts snipped for space)
>>
>> Very good point, and this reminds me of the GRANDFATHER CLAUSE, which
>was
>> used to keep minorities from voting, even when the law said they
>could.
>>

>> ceh
>>
>
>how did that (grandfather clause) work?
>since your daddy couldent vote, neither
>can you?

It was against the law to base a persons right to vote on race so
states would find other things to do to deny voting rights. After
reconstruction states would pass laws that only allowed a person who's
grandfather could vote previous to the civil war to be allowed to
vote. Since blacks couldn't vote previous to the(I believe) 13th and
14th amendment...

Bill Mechlenburg

unread,
Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
to
A clear case of deception.

Primaries in South Carolina are not paid for by the State but by political
parities.

Political parties have limited resources so they do not set up polling
booths in sparsely populated areas (black, white or what ever) do to limited
funds and people to man them.

This has nothing what so ever to do with race and you are engaging in race
baiting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

--
Bill
wm...@att.net
For info on politics, taxes, education etc., go to
http://home.att.net/~wmech

Mary E Knadler <yas...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:85lqjo$qng$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net...
> In <387E29F7...@REMOVETHISuwyo.edu> Rich Travsky
> <rtra...@REMOVETHISuwyo.edu> writes:


> >
> >"Coleman E. Howard" wrote:
> >>
> >> silverback (gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com) wrote:
> >> : By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38
> >>
> >> : COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
> >> : Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
> >> : polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
> >> : primary.
> >>
> >> (facts snipped for space)
> >>
> >

> > Recall that George Bush won the presidency in 1988 partly by
> > savaging Willie Horton. His chief electoral strategist, the
> > late Lee Atwater, used racial polarization to build the
> > Republican Party. This was the national backdrop to events in
> > North Carolina in the fall of 1990.
> >
> >

> yasmin2:
>
> It was not a racial ad. It showed mostly white men in a
> revolving door depicting the revolving door of criminals going
> in & out of prison.
>
> The repeat offenders who are constantly let out to commit more
> crimes.
>

Mary E Knadler

unread,
Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
to

Phillip C Nisbet

unread,
Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
to
On 12 Jan 2000 17:19:47 GMT, gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com (silverback)
wrote:

>By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38
>
> COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
>Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
>polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
>primary.
>
>

<snip>


> McMaster predicted that Democrats also won't be able to
>open all precincts for their March 9 caucus and primary, which
>will select delegates to a nominating convention.
>

Its a caucus and if a precinct has no Repubicans in it, how do they
get people to man a poll? The same goes for the Democrats. If they
do not open all of their polls, does that mean that the Party of
Segregation and George Wallace will be cited by you as a party of
bigots?

> ''I presume Mr. Rutherford will file the same complaint
>against the Democratic Party. No party has enough people to open all
>1,800 precincts,'' McMaster said.
>
> Rutherford said he framed the complaint after talks with
>state Democratic Party Chairman Dick Harpootlian and Gov. Jim
>Hodges.
>
> ''Why don't they consolidate white suburban precincts?''
>Harpootlian said. ''They don't do that because they know
>people go to vote at a certain place.''
>

They do not consolidate large volume precincts so that they can get
maximum participation. Are Democrats willing to consolidate black
majority polling places so that they can open their doors in districts
where they have few if any party members? Of course not. They want
maximum participation for districts in which they have majority
status, since this just about insures that those party faithful will
vote comethe general election and contribute to the party coffers
during the race.

Lets see if the Democrats have people at all polling places before any
conclusions are reached here.


>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>hmmm lets see this is the same state that flies the confederate flag.
>Anyone wants to doubt the racists nature of the republiCONs now?
>

Sure do silverback. You are such a lying little sack of shit on
everything else, why not assume that you are a lying little sack of
shit here.
>


Phillip C Nisbet

unread,
Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
to
On 13 Jan 2000 15:28:55 GMT, ceho...@csc.umd.edu (Coleman E. Howard)
wrote:

>silverback (gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com) wrote:
>: By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38
>
>: COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
>: Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
>: polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
>: primary.
>

>(facts snipped for space)
>
>Very good point, and this reminds me of the GRANDFATHER CLAUSE, which was
>used to keep minorities from voting, even when the law said they could.
>
>ceh

Grandfather clauses have existed in common law for atleast 2000 years.
They have nothing to do with the south. They are enshrined in the
doubly listed Constitutional provision that no ex post facto law be
applied. If they did not exist, we would have people in older homes
required to upgrade their houses with each new zoning ordiance, rather
then allowing them to be 'grandfathered'. They are laws that safe
guard the mostly elderly from losing thier homes and property when
laws change.

That the southern states may have attempted to use such laws to bar
participation in the voting process does not make these laws less
important as safe guards to other rights. Like polling taxes and
literacy testing for voter participation, any such BS has long since
been stripped from State laws.

Grandfathering now exists as a major protection for rural black
populations of mostly elderly citizens who are often faced with white
flight developers trying to get thier home torn down to improvre
property values. They are grandfathered against being required to
make their homes fit the standards required by the developer or their
cronies at various levels of government.

silverback

unread,
Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
to
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:41:19 GMT, nis...@salmoninternet.com (Phillip C
Nisbet) wrote:

>On 12 Jan 2000 17:19:47 GMT, gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com (silverback)

>wrote:
>
>>By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38
>>
>> COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
>>Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
>>polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
>>primary.
>>
>>

><snip>
>> McMaster predicted that Democrats also won't be able to
>>open all precincts for their March 9 caucus and primary, which
>>will select delegates to a nominating convention.
>>
>Its a caucus and if a precinct has no Repubicans in it, how do they
>get people to man a poll? The same goes for the Democrats. If they
>do not open all of their polls, does that mean that the Party of
>Segregation and George Wallace will be cited by you as a party of
>bigots?

too bad for you that the party of raciss is the republiCONs.
go stomp yer feet about it.

>
>> ''I presume Mr. Rutherford will file the same complaint
>>against the Democratic Party. No party has enough people to open all
>>1,800 precincts,'' McMaster said.
>>
>> Rutherford said he framed the complaint after talks with
>>state Democratic Party Chairman Dick Harpootlian and Gov. Jim
>>Hodges.
>>
>> ''Why don't they consolidate white suburban precincts?''
>>Harpootlian said. ''They don't do that because they know
>>people go to vote at a certain place.''
>>
>They do not consolidate large volume precincts so that they can get
>maximum participation. Are Democrats willing to consolidate black
>majority polling places so that they can open their doors in districts
>where they have few if any party members? Of course not. They want
>maximum participation for districts in which they have majority
>status, since this just about insures that those party faithful will
>vote comethe general election and contribute to the party coffers
>during the race.
>

so you defend the racists republiCONs

>Lets see if the Democrats have people at all polling places before any
>conclusions are reached here.
>>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>>hmmm lets see this is the same state that flies the confederate flag.
>>Anyone wants to doubt the racists nature of the republiCONs now?
>>
>Sure do silverback. You are such a lying little sack of shit on
>everything else, why not assume that you are a lying little sack of
>shit here.
>>
>

*****************************************************

zepp, a weasel

unread,
Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
to
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:14:28 -0800, "Bill Mechlenburg"
<wm...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>A clear case of deception.
>
>Primaries in South Carolina are not paid for by the State but by political
>parities.
>
>Political parties have limited resources so they do not set up polling
>booths in sparsely populated areas (black, white or what ever) do to limited
>funds and people to man them.
>
>This has nothing what so ever to do with race and you are engaging in race
>baiting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

So South Carolina blacks only live in "sparsely populated areas"? How
do they determin what population is?


>
>--
>Bill
>wm...@att.net
>For info on politics, taxes, education etc., go to
>http://home.att.net/~wmech
>
>Mary E Knadler <yas...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>news:85lqjo$qng$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net...

>> In <387E29F7...@REMOVETHISuwyo.edu> Rich Travsky
>> <rtra...@REMOVETHISuwyo.edu> writes:
>> >
>> >"Coleman E. Howard" wrote:
>> >>

>> >> silverback (gdy5...@nospamspiritone.com) wrote:
>> >> : By Mark Pratt, Associated Press, 1/11/2000 19:38
>> >>
>> >> : COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A state legislator says the
>> >> : Republican Party is trying to hinder black voters' access to the
>> >> : polls by keeping some polling places shut during its presidential
>> >> : primary.
>> >>

>> >> (facts snipped for space)
>> >>
>> >
>> > Recall that George Bush won the presidency in 1988 partly by
>> > savaging Willie Horton. His chief electoral strategist, the
>> > late Lee Atwater, used racial polarization to build the
>> > Republican Party. This was the national backdrop to events in
>> > North Carolina in the fall of 1990.
>> >
>> >
>> yasmin2:
>>
>> It was not a racial ad. It showed mostly white men in a
>> revolving door depicting the revolving door of criminals going
>> in & out of prison.
>>
>> The repeat offenders who are constantly let out to commit more
>> crimes.
>>
>
>

**********************************************************
"Newt Gingrich showed the country that when he was Speaker
of the House, he was banging more than just his gavel."
-- Mark Russell

For political commentary by Zepp, visit
http://www.snowcrest.net/zepp/zeppol.html
For links to all things Liberal/Leftist, go to
http:/www.snowcrest.net/zepp/lynx.htm
Warning: Contains ideas
************************************************************
Pay your taxes so the rich don't have to.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages