First cars of Generation X, what were they?

NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB

Mar 4, 1994, 2:17:16 AM3/4/94

After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:

What was the first car you drove?

and

What is the first car you purchased yourself?

Here are my answers:

I learned to drive on a 1979 Datsun 210 Sedan that belonged to my sister
and I "inherited" I drove it around for a couple of years and then my
younger sister crashed it avoiding a deer. It was a good little car.

The first car I bought was a 1976 Plymouth Scamp (its a 2-door Valiant)
It looked sporty, had the indestructable slant-6. I paid $750 for it
in 1987 and sold it later that year for $450

By the way, the whole line of cars looks like this

1979 Datsun 210 (passed on to sister who wrecked it)
1983 Toyota Tercel (barrowed from another sister, I wrecked that one)
1976 Plymouth Scamp (used for one summer and sold)
1982 Datsun 720 Series pickup (used for 3 years, was falling apart)
1985 Ford LTD (hand-me-down from older sister, little brother rolled it)
1982 Toyota Corolla (very low mileage, I love this thing!)

I've been driving since 1984 and that list does not count the in-between
cars that I barrowed.

* Noel J. Tominack (no...@umbc2.umbc.edu) |
* University of Maryland Baltimore County | "Yeah, Whatever"
* All opinions are mine mine mine! | 671223
* ________________________________________|

Jym Dyer

Mar 4, 1994, 4:08:34 AM3/4/94
=o= Schwinn Varsity, followed by a "Paris Sport" 10-speed.

=o= This was followed by a regrettable run of vehicles with
more than two wheels: 1966 Mustang convertable, 1970 Nova,
1985 Subaru, and 1989 Honda Civic.

=o= Then I got sensible again and got a 1989 Specialized.
Two Wheels Good,
<_Jym_>

.----------.
/ .-. .-. \
/ | | | | \ HAVE
\ `-' `-' _/ YOU
/\ .--. / | SEEN
\ | / / / / ME?
/ | `--' /\ \
/`-------' \ \

Wendi Dunlap

Mar 4, 1994, 5:48:12 AM3/4/94
no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:

>What was the first car you drove?

Early '70s Oldsmobile Cutlass or some such monstrosity. It was a BOAT.
And I had to take my driving test in it. Parallel parking in a car the
size of an aircraft carrier... AUUUUGGGH!

>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

1970 Mazda 1800 four door sedan. These are rare cars. They test marketed
them in Seattle, but didn't sell them elsewhere in the US. I bought mine
in January '87 for $550. It had 83,000 miles on the odometer. It was in
wonderful shape. Of course, I drove it into the ground by driving to and
from Minnesota and using it to deliver pizza, but it still lasted me for
more than 5 years before dying. It was utterly reliable. It never broke
down except for the day it died.

THEN...

I bought another one! I saw it parked on a side street for a few weeks,
and managed to buy it for $100. This one had only $79,000 miles, but
wasn't in quite as good shape as the first one. Still, for $100, I can't
complain. I've been driving it for 1 1/2 years and the only problem we
had was when the fuel pump died, and then we just replaced it with the
one from my old car. :)

1970 Mazda 1800s are wonderful cars. Wish there were more of 'em around. :)

--
Wendi A. Dunlap | litl...@hebron.connected.com * Seattle, Washington
words,music,art | Sysop of Slumberland BBS, (206) 547-2629, 3/12/24/96

The Twonkster

Mar 4, 1994, 8:04:32 AM3/4/94
In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu>, no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK,

ACS 24-HOUR LAB) says:

>What was the first car you drove?

1989 Ford Festiva. I didn't go for my licence till I was 19, and the Army
forced me to. I was one of a few people in PSU to have a Kansas licence, and
some bars refused me service. I learned from a friend of mine who hit my right
leg every time I screwed up a left turn. It was a stick, too, so that was
fun. I stalled 3 times during the test. I passed. Don't ask me..;-)

>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura 2-door, in-line 6, auto, air, tape deck. Drove that
baby 30,000 miles myself in the 1 1/2 years that it lived under my ownership.
Road trips between Fort Riley, KS and Philadelphia are fun!
Matt Gourley, S.C.W. I "History is a nightmare from which I am
MMG...@psuvm.psu.edu I trying to awake." -Joyce, _Ulysses_
Chelsea Clinton Cabal I "I've been a miner for a Heart of Gold"
Legion of Dynamic Discord I -Neil Young, _Heart of Gold_

JIM...@nuacvm.acns.nwu.edu

Mar 4, 1994, 9:10:17 AM3/4/94
In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu>

no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:

> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:
>
>What was the first car you drove?

That would have to be an '83 Chevy Citation owned by my uncle. He was
giving me driving lessons before I got into Driver's Ed.

>and
>
>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

I bought a '91 Acura Integra GS after college. I'm still paying for it.
Up the wazoo.

In between, I drove a Ford Crown Victoria in high school. It had a
surprising amount of pickup. And, before my sister wrecked it, I drove
around a '88 Grand Am.

Jim

* jim...@nuacvm.acns.nwu.edu * "'I'm not going nowhere' means you *
* W: (708) 467-1480 * you are going somewhere! It's a *
* H: (708) ###-#### * double negative, you MORON!" *
* C: (708) $$$-$$$$ * -The Kids in the Hall *

Lyle Beaudoin

Mar 4, 1994, 9:27:30 AM3/4/94
no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:

> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:

>What was the first car you drove?

I remember Driver Training quite well. I was stuck in a brown Chevette with
power nothing, an automatic that couldn't make seventy KPH up what we laughingly
call "hills" here on the prairies with two brake pedals. One for me, one for
the trainer.

Having learned to drive in something that can be picked up by two men after
a beer or two, I promptly started driving a monster. Dad's 1979 Ford F150
Supercab. I was invincible in this beast. I alternated between this truck and
my mother's 1986 Pontiac Parisienne. The truck sort of became mine when my
father was too weak to walk, and became really mine after he died. But, not
being able to afford to feed this behemoth (yes, I have to use synonyms like
that, I was hit by a '79 LTD in this truck, on ice, and the truck didn't budge),I sold it and got...Dave.

Dave is a 1986 Ford Escort GT, and Dave can do anything. In contrast to most
cars, Dave seems to get better in inclement weather. The only time I've ever
seen the tachometer work is one morning after it spent the night outside last
winter. It was -40, and I hadn't plugged the block heater in. The tach hasn't
even twitched since. It makes for interesting driving, learning to drive a
standard in a car without a tachometer.

But alas, cars with 190 000 km on them get sick now and again, so it looks like
any spare cash (what's that?)I earn this summer will be sunk into Dave.
--
"The passion for science and the passion | These aren't opinions so much
for music are driven by the same desire: | as just mindless ramblings. The

Shannon Russell

Mar 4, 1994, 9:43:01 AM3/4/94

NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB <no...@umbc2.umbc.edu> wrote:

>What was the first car you drove?

I learned to drive in my Dad's 1979 Ford Ranger truck, and I drove my Mom's
van a lot. I got to like big engines and lots of enertia.

>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

I'm still paying for it. I never had the money saved up to outright buy a
clunker, and it seems loans for used cars are really hard to get, so I
sold my soul to Ford for a 4-door 1991 Escort with the graduate purchase
program. If the world doesn't explode, it might be mine next year.

Shannon Russell

Paprcutman

Mar 4, 1994, 10:28:04 AM3/4/94
>What was the first car you drove?

>and

>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

My first parentally-purchased car: a 1980 Dodge Ram, white, with no windows --
I use a wheelchair, and since it had to be equipped with life-gate and
hand-controls we decided to get a commercial van, which was cheaper, and then
customize the interior. I put in wood paneling, shag carpet, sound system -- it
would have been quite the sexmobile if I'd actually had the gonads to ask
someone out in high school. Now, for all the crap that gets dumped on American
cars (most of it deserved), this van lasted me 10 years, 80,000 miles, and one
or two road trips a year to San Francisco and/or Vegas.

My first self-purchased car: a 1988 Chevy Astro, already equipped (I bought it
off a disabled friend of mine who moved to Australia). It's nice, but I still
miss ol' Whitey -- don't we all have a special spot in our souls for our first
autos?

Doug
paprc...@aol.com

Christine M Dorsey

Mar 4, 1994, 10:59:39 AM3/4/94

In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu>,
NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB <no...@umbc2.umbc.edu> wrote:

> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:
>
>What was the first car you drove?

There was the station wagon, the blue car, and the red car. i learned to drive
on all three.

>and
>
>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

Well my brother and I kinda bought a car together (he shelled out the $75 and I
drove it and payed for gas). It was a chevy caprice vintage style. We called
it The Brown Beast. I loved this car. One week after we bought it the reverse
completely died and I spent a year and a half only parking in spots that I
could pull out of again. Every day after school I would pull into our driveway
and then I/we would push the car backward into the turnaround. This was
especially fun during the winter months when there was significant snowfall on
the ground. there was nothing better than driving a peice of shit car in the
middle of White Suburbia Cleveland (the average house was going for 300-400k
when I was in high school), needless to say we got quite a few stairs.

haven't bought a car since.
--

christine
Reality, What a beutiful choice!

John Stein

Mar 4, 1994, 11:08:38 AM3/4/94
1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88
4 doors, 10 MPG, Heavy Metal
This IS your father's Oldsmobile

JIM...@NUACVM.ACNS.NWU.EDU () wrote:

>In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu>

>no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB)
>writes:
>

>> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic
>being the Beetle of
>>Generation X (though I could say the same about the
>Ford Escort or Toyota
>>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers
>out there:
>>
>>What was the first car you drove?
>

>That would have to be an '83 Chevy Citation owned by my
>uncle. He was giving me driving lessons before I got
>into Driver's Ed.

>>and
>>
>>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

>I bought a '91 Acura Integra GS after college. I'm
>still paying for it. Up the wazoo.

>In between, I drove a Ford Crown Victoria in high
>school. It had a surprising amount of pickup. And,
>before my sister wrecked it, I drove around a '88
>Grand Am.
>
>Jim

>**************** * jim...@nuacvm.acns.nwu.edu *

>"'I'm not going nowhere' means you * * W: (708)
>467-1480 * you are going somewhere! It's a
>* * H: (708) ###-#### * double
>negative, you MORON!" * * C: (708) $$$-$$$$
> * -The Kids in the Hall *
>****************

John M Stein 212-250-5091

JAMES E. GALL

Mar 4, 1994, 12:46:32 PM3/4/94
I've read about ten posts in this thread and no one has yet mentioned....

The Chevy Chevette!!!!!!!!!

Year: 1980
Color: White
Nickname: The Vette
Cheap accessory purchased to make it look cooler: ZZ Top keychain
Most memorable experience: Uncontrollable 180 spin from slick road to hay
field.

NandO BBS System

Mar 4, 1994, 1:43:20 PM3/4/94
In article <litlnemo....@connected.com>,

Wendi Dunlap <litl...@hebron.connected.com> wrote:
>no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:
>
>>What was the first car you drove?

My first car was a 1980 Buick Regal *Limited* with a cracked blue vinyl
top and a white paint job with a growing patch of rust originating in the
trunk (my dad asked me to get him some fertilizer, which spilled in the
trunk, causing a chemical reaction that was detrimental to my car). It
had a 2.3L 6-cylinder and vintage (i.e. late 70s) wire wheel covers. The
interior--white _high-grade_ vinyl seats complemented by a drooping white
ceiling which dropped brown residue on me and my passengers--rotten
padding. The driver's seat was ripped but I dutifully repaired it
with--you guessed it, silver duct tape.

One day, it just wouldn't "go." My dad drove 100 miles to have a look at
it, then told me to sell it for scrap. Two guys came over (one older,
one younger) and I could have sworn I was in an episode of "Sanford and
Son." They gave me $25 and five minutes to strip anything of value from
the car--they said they were going to remove the gas tank and crush it.
I knew I would miss the electric seats (up-down, front-back, and
everything in between)--this was a luxury car at its inception. I also
would never forget the time it broke down on me on a rural North Carolina
highway. After passing motorists ignored my friend and I for 6 hours, we
got desperate and wrote "WE NEED HELP!" in toothpaste on the rear
windshield. Oh. . .and the smell of burning oil and antifreeze. . .

If anyone is still reading this--I'm trying to collect stories and
anecdotes from pizza deliverers, possibly to compile in a book (or at
least a notebook). If you have anything interesting (as a customer or
deliverer) please e-mail me. Anyone who responded to my earlier
posting about pizza delivery--I forgot to save those messages. If you
could find the time to re-hash your stories, please e-mail them to me
privately (or post).

Chad Dickerson
ch...@nando.net

er...@u.washington.edu

Mar 4, 1994, 4:05:39 PM3/4/94
no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:

> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:

>What was the first car you drove?

My mom's Buick Regal. Yuck.

>and

>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

A 1976 Ford Pinto. It sucked. I liked my 1974 MGB much better, even
though it was broken down half the time. It was fun to drive. I haven't
actually owned a vehicle since then, although I have driven Toyos a
number of times. I prefer small cars cuz they don't drive like boats.

Erynn
who hates driving

Mark Louis Pearlstein

Mar 4, 1994, 5:29:07 PM3/4/94
In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu>, no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:

|> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
|> Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
|> Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:
|>
|> What was the first car you drove?

The first car I ever drove was my fathers 87 Dodge colt 4-door sedan. He had his licence
revoked for 120 for rufusing to take a breathalizer test. (He wasn't driving, why should he)
It was cool I was sixteen + 1/2 and had wheels.

My first owned vehicle was a hand-me-down from my older sister.
It was a 1976 Dodge Aspen, an indestructible car. It was mostly Dodge with a Valiant hood
on it. The car was a heap, a bucket of bolts, like the Millenium Falcon. Anyway it was
good to have. The car eventually couldn't pass inspection so I took the plates off and
my nasty neighbor lady called the cops and they very happily towed it away. I waved and
thanked the cops for disposing of my vehicle for me.

My present vehicle is my mothers 87 Dodge Colt 4-door sedan (my parents had twin cars.)
but it has been dead in one of the campus parking lots since I arrived at school.
A one way ticket to school. I need to scrape together enough cash to get it running so
I can go home for Spring Break 8->

|> What is the first car you purchased yourself?

Can't say, I've never purchased one.

The differences between the generations is that each new gen. has less fear of the unknown
and is more likely to challenge the establishment. ---me---

Angeli Primlani

Mar 4, 1994, 6:05:13 PM3/4/94
>What was the first car you drove?

I learned to drive on a wonderful little white 1977 Buick Skylark called
"Precious" which was falling apart by little bits and finally died a sad
death. I drove this little thing for years and it got it's name because
it wouldn't start unless you pumped the gas and said, "Come on Precious,
Baby."

>and >
>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

The Green machine, a 1984 Toyota Corolla station wagon which I plowed
sadly into the back of somebody's bumper on 15-501. She didn't want the
police to be called and I think she was drunk so she, well, was sort of
hit and ran.

My most frightening car was the Indiana-Double-O-Death-Star, a 1974 Ford
Galixie 500 Station Wagon, dirt brown with tearing upholstery and *no
alignment*. (or as someone quipped) it's aligment was "Chaotic Neutral"
Angeli

Sara Hively

Mar 4, 1994, 10:15:51 AM3/4/94

>What was the first car you drove?

"The White Volvo" - my dad bought himself a New Car so he could have
something decent for driving his clients all over town (dad is a real estate
agent) and my sister and I learned to drive at about the same time. We
still love that car, although it doesn't glitter like it used to. It has a
sunroof and excellent speakers and is still so easy to drive, especially
in the summer in Minneapolis with all the windows open. It has been
replaced in my father and stepmother's affections by The Grey Volvo, but
when my sister and I are visiting, we go for the white one every time.

>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

I have yet to buy a car, at age 26. The summer I got married, my husband's
father gave us an enormous Ford pickup truck in that amazing deep blue color
which guzzled gas like nothing I've experienced before or since and which
self-destructed a few months later in Wisconsin as we were driving to visit
friends in Chicago (one of whom is getting a Phd in linguistics there, I
might add) - that loud knocking noise developed under the hood, I pulled off
at a little gas station with a 12' pink elephant wearing huge sunglasses
standing next to the lot. The station attendants bought the car for $200.00
and drove us to the bus station - we got a bumper sticker featuring the pink
elephant, and we've gotten gas at that station once or twice since then.
I sometime use Mom's car, which is a '81 Toyota Corolla. The paint
is starting to wear off the body, and the catalytic converter causes it to
backfire regularly. She has part of her collection of rocks from Lake
Superior wedged between the window and the dashboard.

Brandi Weed

Mar 4, 1994, 7:06:23 PM3/4/94
In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu>,
NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB <no...@umbc2.umbc.edu> wrote:

> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:
>
>What was the first car you drove?

A 1983 Volvo 250 DL. My parents', given to them by my maternal grandma when
my wealthy aunt bought her a nicer car (a Mercedes-- which my parents just
inhereted when my aunt bought Grandma a Caddy for her last birthday...).

>and
>
>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

A 1954 Chrysler New Yorker. Drove it for 4-5 years until the electrial system
blew (it was the original wiring!). I had naively hoped that after college
I would have the income to restore it. Boy, was I wrong. Now I drive
that Volvo everywhere, and will probably have to sell the Chrysler before
it turns into a rustheap. Too bad-- it was a fun car.

--
Brandi Weed "I've got a good mind to join the club
bw...@muddcs.claremont.edu and beat you over the head with it."

SCA...@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu

Mar 4, 1994, 9:56:11 PM3/4/94
In article <2l7hdl$c...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>
The first car I had was an AMC Pacer. I totaled it in six months. Thank
God.

Jane

>Shannon Russell

Jonathan Dale

Mar 4, 1994, 10:59:44 PM3/4/94
I drive an '84 Toyota Tercel SR5 stationwagon ("Minke"). It has 220,000 miles
and is running fine now (though I _did_ just put a transmission in, okay).
Four-wheel drive and it just chews through the snow like you wouldn't believe
(not a feature I was looking for when I bought it in Santa Cruz, Ca). It's
tan, and has an inflatable globe, two graduation-type tassels, and a squid-
lure hanging from the rear-view mirror.

The first car I drove was also a toyota stationwagon, a dark maroon Corona.
It had a bad experience with a big american car, and is no more. Sigh.

What can I say? Not cool, but good mileage, small turning circle, and plenty
of space. My current car made it from Santa Cruz to Seattle several times
and more recently Seattle to Los Angeles to Boston to Woods Hole. I don't
know if I'll still have it in the 5+ years it takes before I finish up here,
though. Maybe there's another station wagon in my future... :) (But the
new ones aren't 4-wheel drive; I need that little bit of macho posturing if
I'm going to drive a mom-car :) ).

--Jonathan Dale

Green

Mar 4, 1994, 11:01:20 PM3/4/94
First Car = Chevette, 2DR, 4 speed, White (shared it with sis.)
Took my drivers test, failed once, in my dad's Olds 88 (blech)
First Car Bought = 1982 Fiat (Fix it again Tony)
Now = HONDA CIVIC (and slightly proud now that I've learned my car is
the car of choice for my slightly proud gen) Red, 2DR, Hatchback
My girlfriend and I put 14K on it three summers ago when we went
from Wash, DC to LA to Canada and back. What a summer.

It's not easy being - Green

Ken Varnum

Mar 4, 1994, 11:56:34 PM3/4/94
The car I learned to drive on was Mom's 1978 Buick Estate Wagon--you
know, the full-size General Motors boat, the same one that didn't change
design substantially from the mid-70s until, well, now. I had my
grandparent's Buick Century for a year or two, but went abroad for a year
and my folks sold it. The first car I actually owned on my own is the
one I have now, a Toyota Corolla. Funny thing, though, was that it took
me quite a few months of parallel parking my little Corolla before I
could do it as smoothly as I could that old Buick wagon, even though it
was close to the size of my apartment....

General Motors.... The ones who put ick into Buick
--
Ken Varnum var...@sils.umich.edu
School of Information and Library Studies University of Michigan

Zachary B Snyder

Mar 5, 1994, 1:20:42 AM3/5/94

Sorry kids, my 1st was a Bitchin' Camaro with a 350.
can I still play?

Zachary

The Concord Group

Mar 5, 1994, 1:56:25 AM3/5/94
NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB (no...@umbc2.umbc.edu) wrote:

: What was the first car you drove?

1974 Red Volvo Stationwagon (or is that station wagon?) Manual
trans that was not forgiving, learned to shift gears in Apple Computer
parking lots on weekends. Drove for a few months

: What is the first car you purchased yourself?

1974 Dodge Dart Sport Coupe. White with the "California" optional
exterior (meaning pinstripes and little outlines of surfers) 225 slant
six, 4 speed auto, 2 door, measure 0 to 60 via a calander. Called "the
land barge" Dodge took a block of steel and carved away everything that
did not have "Dodgeness" in it. Solid as a rock. Only accident I had
was after the water pump broke and ALL the coolent leaked out (it was
totally dry) I was driving it (a very forgiving car) to the side of the
road to park, hit a '84 Mustang right in the front fender. That fender
was completely totaled on the other car and all I had to do was clean a
little green paint that was on my bumper. Licence number 782 LYW. It's
been four years, why do I remember that?!!? Paid $750 for it, drove for
6 years (including all of college).

- Ray
Slant 6, runs on kerosene and molassas for oil.

Jonathan Priluck

Mar 5, 1994, 2:35:12 AM3/5/94
In article <2l8er9$c...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu> acpr...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Angeli Primlani) writes:
>>What was the first car you drove?

The first car I drove was one of those hideous little box-like
K-cars that were so popular back in the early eighties. After that it was
My mothers Swinger, a very cool shade of green with one of those
indesrtuctable slant-six engines. Then I inherited my Grandfathers old Ford
COuntry Squire station wagon. What a monster. My freinds called it "The
Flaggon" which was short for "fucking large wagon". It was an apt
description, this was a very cool vehicle, with a big 400 cubic inch engine
and enough room to pack in half the Brookline High School rugby team.

I was a certified motorhead and the wagon only lasted about 8
months, I destroyed the transmission doing reverse slams. The next car I
actually paid for. I bought a 1969 Plymouth Satellite, rebuilt the engine,
used to take it to the race track on weekends and sold it about a year later
for the real thing..... a Roadrunner, also'69 and CONVERTIBLE. The car was
a junker when I bought it and I did a complete restoration, I shudder to
think how much time money and effrt I put into that car. But when I was
done (almost a year) it was a beauty, midnight black paint job, automatic
top, totally rebuilt engine (with the NOS nitrous cheater system, 383 magnum
for those who care) and about 375 horsepower. I still miss that car. I
know the current owner, he only drives it on weekends and to shows. But he
apinted it Hemi-orange (Yuck, only chargers look good in hemi-orange).

When I was 22 I gave up hot rods and never went back. But the itch is still
there. I like the F-150 pick-up I bought and it has served me well for
seven years, no complaints. But sometimes I just miss the power. you know
what I mean.

The iNventor

--
* Jonathan Aerospace Materials Corp., 41 Naples Road, Brookline MA 02146 *
* Tel (617) 731-3637, Internet: jam...@world.std.com *

Kyle Sterling Knight

Mar 5, 1994, 5:56:46 AM3/5/94
First Car: Toyota Tercel 4wd station wagon-- Tan with stickers on
the side designed to look like immitation wood. The only problem with
the wood stickers was (aside from the fact that they looked bad) that they
made do it yourself auto body work a little tuff.

I had a little spin out in it driving back from a rather bad day of skiing
at mad river glen in VT, in which i had less than an hour earlier torn my
anterior cruciate ligament in my left knee (although I did not know it
at the time, just thought it was a sprain). I finished the run after my fall
and the guy I was with and I decided to call it a day, even though we were
actually now starting to get some snow. We had to climb back over and down the
other side ofthe mountain to get back to school.

No problem gettingg up-as i was driving a 4wd-laugh. Big problem getting down
Snow was thick. It was icy and i was pumping the breaks to get more traction
- and then--- there were none. The peddle was on the floor and we kept rolling
-spun out, hit the guard rail, turned around 180 degrees and started rolling
down the opposite lane backwards, and picking up speed, with no place to stop,
just a big dropoff on the right and the rocks from which the road was cut
on the left. We got up to about 40 mph, backwards and all over the road for
at least 400 yards until the hand of god or fate or dumb luck leveled the road
out a bit and gave us a snow bank to back into. The guy i was with was freaked
out by the whole thing. The first thing he said when we wer finally sitting
still in that snowbank was "We almost died." For me it was more of a delayed
response. I am glad i was the driver because i had something to do to keep
me from thinking death and impact .

But AAA pulled the car out of the snow and hauled it 30 miles (the rents got
me AAA plus as a going awway present. After minor repair the brakes worked
again.

As for the dent on the front fender, a rubber mallet, a can of tan spray
paint made it look ok. And I was able to find a role of immitiation wood
stick on shelf paper that almost matched the original wood side paneling.

Spearwielder

Mar 5, 1994, 11:52:50 AM3/5/94
Mine was a 71, 72, 73 Cutlass Supreme. 71 car, 72 hood, and a 73 front
grill. Paid $500 dollars for it. Caused me to close at Wendy's more
nights than I care to remember.
--SW-->

Kathleen Hubbard

Mar 5, 1994, 12:06:53 PM3/5/94
Zachary B wrote:

>Sorry kids, my 1st was a Bitchin' Camaro with a 350.
>can I still play?

So was mine.

Yes.

--Kathleen :)

--
Kathleen A. Hubbard | member: GenerationX, 02.10.66 Cohort,
Department of Linguistics | Linguistic Society of America, Queens

Lynda Farley

Mar 5, 1994, 1:15:26 PM3/5/94

First Car: 1977 Ford Thunderbird....HUGE. Could fit
"Baby" eight people comfortably. Wonderful road trip
car. One of 5 cars totalled by my brother.

First Car Bought: 1984 Ford Tempo
"Critter" Possibly the biggest lemon of a car ever made.
Cost more to maintain than the monthly payments.
Up and died on me driving from Durham to Winston-
Salem, the day tornadoes destroyed a K-mart in
Durham, the day after my dad announced he was
marrying his secretary (before his divorce was
finalized) and one month before my fateful engagement
to "Mr. Wrong"----Damn I hate that car!!!!!!!!

Now: 1991 Toyota Corolla
"Homar" Fire engine red. Wonderful little
(_Homarus americanus_) car that I have put +30,000 miles on
in less than 3 years.

Lynda
-a big fan of Toyota. Will never buy a car she cannot af-FORD
to maintain again!!

Lynda Farley (far...@bio.bu.edu)
Boston University Marine Program

"...That is one of the great secrets of life -- to cure the soul
by means of the senses, and the senses by means of the soul."

-Oscar Wilde, _The Picture of Dorian Gray_

Jennifer Basil

Mar 5, 1994, 1:55:06 PM3/5/94
Kathleen Hubbard (hub...@garnet.berkeley.edu) wrote:

: Zachary B wrote:
: >
: >Sorry kids, my 1st was a Bitchin' Camaro with a 350.
: >can I still play?

I had a very groovy, metallic gold, 1977 Celica hatchback (called
the "Celtica" in honor of my traffic induced Irish temper!). The
drivers's seat was frozen in the furthest back position, so I had
to basiclly control the car with my fingertips and toes...made for
space shuttle-like navigating! The saddest day of my life was when some
flaming idiot boomer in a Volvo slammed into it...destroyed it. It
would have gone on forever otherwise. *snif*

*sentimental look*
Jenny

--
Jennifer Basil (ba...@bio.bu.edu)

"O sun, that wakenest all to bliss or pain,
O moon, that layest all to sleep again,
Shine sweetly; twice my love hath smiled on me."
...Tennyson, "Gareth and Lynette", _Idylls of the King_

warr...@news.delphi.com

Mar 5, 1994, 3:25:13 PM3/5/94

What was the first car that you drove?

The first was a Chevy pickup truck which got stolen that
summer (sniff). We drove it around the Merrillville High parking lot
at 5 m.p.h.

In driver's ed, we had a neat blue compact - the instructor
complained to me that he saw mailboxes in his dreams and the other
students buckled up when it was my turn to drive...

I helped buy a 1980 Phoenix - piece of junk!

We sold the Phoenix in '88 to make the down payment for a new car for
my parents - a Buick Century. I moved up to the citation, which at least
had an FM radio with which I could folllow the yuppification of American
culture. When repair bills started to average $200/month, it was on to...

a blue Mercury Tracer (1989) It's small, cramped, gets wonderful gas
mileage, and gets me around without breaking down too often. I bought it
used in 1990, and the rental car company took good care of it...

Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner

Mar 5, 1994, 5:12:42 PM3/5/94
In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu> no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:

> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:
>
>What was the first car you drove?

First car? I think I was 14 or 15 when my Dad (on a visit to see him)
decided to give me a driving lesson in his car. I think is may have been a
Subaru (although it's been awhile).

It was on a back dirt country road in Virginia. I paniced when driving
the winding road and I ended up sliding into a ditch, the passenger side of
the car at the bottom, the driver side still (more or less) on the road.

Dad was not pleased.

And the tow truck driver must have thought my Dad was crazy for having
driven off into a ditch.

Oh, you mean the first car I drove regularly? An '81 Toyota Tercel
Hatchback, white in color.

>and

>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

Still have yet to purchace my own car. My Mom helped with the purchase of
said '81 Toyota Tercel (this was in '88) and I'm still driving it, much to
the surprise of my Mom.

-spc (It was white at one time. It will be again one day, when I wash it)

Matt Martinez

Mar 5, 1994, 5:43:47 PM3/5/94
The first car I drove on a full time basis was a restored 1971 VW Karmann
Ghia.It ran pretty well If you drove it on long trips and turned the engine
off the starter would cut out and not start until it cooled down.

The first car I bought myself was a 1981 VW rabbit diesel with 100,000 miles
on it.The car ran like a top,albeit an underpowered one.It took me across
the country twice.

I bought the car in '87 for $1500 and sold it 3 years later for $800.
Before I moved I to see it drive around town all the time.The paint and
interior still looked good.

John Hayes

Mar 5, 1994, 7:24:49 PM3/5/94
NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB (no...@umbc2.umbc.edu) wrote:

: What was the first car you drove?

The *Beast*- A 1979 Dodge fullsize pickup. This think would go just about
anywhere. Also known as the merge-master. Quite an intimidating vehicle.

: What is the first car you purchased yourself?

The *ToyBox*- A 1991 jeep wrangler softtop. Lots of fun to drive, as long
as you don't mind the wind noise at high speeds. The only drawback- you
can't really lock a softtop/convertible so it gets broken into often. I've
just finished replacing yet another plastic component (center console) with
an indestructible steel version that will hopefully withstand breakin
attempts better.

Then again, mebbe I should just move to a nicer neighborhood...

John.
--
John Hayes <ha...@netcom.com> .408.298.3824
What others have never thought of doing, we have done without thinking...

Esther Diamondstone

Mar 5, 1994, 11:00:40 PM3/5/94
In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu> no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:

> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:
>
>What was the first car you drove? and What is the first car you purchased yourself?

I learned to drive in a 1974 Mercury Monterey known as "the U.S.S. Enormous."
It was puke green and got 9 miles to the gallon on the highway. When I bought
my first car, an '86 Omni, I was astounded that it got 31 miles to the gallon,
and I was so thrilled that I could pull into a parking space crookedly and
still be inside all the lines that I parked on a slant for about six months
afterward.

emd

Daniel B Case

Mar 6, 1994, 5:01:00 PM3/6/94
>In article <4MAR94....@umbc2.umbc.edu>
>no...@umbc2.umbc.edu (NOEL TOMINACK, ACS 24-HOUR LAB) writes:
>

>> After seeing the post about the Honda Civic being the Beetle of
>>Generation X (though I could say the same about the Ford Escort or Toyota
>>Corolla around here)--I wanted to ask all you X-ers out there:
>>
>>What was the first car you drove?

Dad's '83 Buick Century, which I ran into the ground eventually by using it
for a couple of years of driving around for work, driving from NJ to Syracuse
and back, to Dad's house in MD and back, and not taking it in for tuneups
during this time. But the electrical system was still a piece of crap anyway,
after about 50,000 miles. During the last years I had it ('89-90) it was
legally my brother's but I drove it all the time. Finally, in summer 1990, the
exhaust pipe corroded off for the second time and that was it.

I got my license, however, in Mom's '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (one of the last
ones still made by AMC/Renault). That died prematurely-my brother took it out
one night before he had gotten his license (a Sunday night, yet) and was sided
by a limo going the other way through a downtown 4-way intersection that ran
the light. We had to pay to replace the traffic light that was totalled. The
limo driver got hurt and was fired (besides running the light, he was taking
a friend out in a company car-not business). My brother was OK, but had to put
off getting his license for a little while. My mom got...a 1987 Jeep grand
Wagoneer, which she still has, although my stepbrother screwed up the odometer
in a vain attempt to cover up his unauthorized use of it.

>>What is the first car you purchased yourself?

I handled the details of acquiring my Accord myself, however it was a graduation
gift. So in that sense I have not paid for a car out of my own pocket yet.

Daniel Case State University of New York at Buffalo
Prodigy: WDNS15D | GEnie: DCASE.10
Ceci n'est pas une pipe
V140...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu dc...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Daniel B Case

Mar 6, 1994, 5:20:00 PM3/6/94
In article <2lbuil$8...@crl.crl.com>, mcg...@crl.com (Donald R. McGregor) writes...
>What was the first car you broke 100 MPH in?

Almost did it in the Accord while racing some people in a Lexus ES 250 (yes, a
glorified Camry) on I-95 in Maryland during one particularly busy post-Fourth of
July weekend rush (yes, it was an interesting experience with all the traffic
except us and the Lexus in the rightmost lanes). I might have done it four years
ago driving back to Syracuse after spring break in a rented Mercury Topaz, if I
hadn't gotten the 82-in-a-55 south of Cortland on I-81 that made me realize I
needed a radar detector...boy, those things (the Topaz/Tempos) have pickup!

>First car you crashed?

Mom's first Jeep, previously mentioned. Was looking for a left-hand turn, didn't
realize the light ahead was red and traffic had backed up. $400 to my Mom's car,
$900 to the other guy.

Ian Williams

Mar 6, 1994, 1:06:38 AM3/6/94