Tuesdays With Tony

Shelton Bumgarner

Jun 22, 2007, 3:20:54 AM6/22/07
Every Tuesday and Thursday, I used to have a huge class of young,
unruly kids that both frustrated and delighted me. This was the class
that had Tony in it and he was always figuring out ways to bedevil me
in cute, amusing ways.

Tony showed me he could be both entertaining and serious pain in the
butt with his little verbal tricks. On the entertaining side, he would
make word play using "teacher." He would say what I thought was
"teacher," when he in fact he was saying "tea!" "chair!" So I would
turn to him after hearing "teacher," only to have him say, "No, no,
teacher, 'tea!" "chair!" He would mime drinking tea and then point to
his chair.
Show More >
"Yes, yes, Tony, I get it."

On a far darker note, Tony and one of his many friends came up with
another little bit of wordplay. This time, it wasn't so much fun.

"Fuc," one of the little miscreants would say.

"Que!" someone else -usually Tony - would shout.

Besides that little annoyance, however, the class was a blast to
teach. I really had a lot of fun teaching the class. Although one
time, one of the cuter kids slice their finger open on a pen or
pencil. Blood all but shot across the room the cut was so team. Oh,
Naborat Jeebas, just thinking about the sight of that little kid
staring at his finger still gives me the willies. He was a little
trooper, though. He didn't cry a bit.