Get This Party Started: Nori's 'Tipping Point' Songs

1 view

Shelton Bumgarner

Jun 22, 2007, 3:23:25 AM6/22/07
Just about midnight on a weekend night is when it happens - people at
Nori (The Bar) are so liquored up that they start dancing simply
because they don't care. That, to me, is the beauty, the magic of Nori
- no one cares if you're so drunk you start absently-mindly shaking
your booty.

But the real fun doesn't start until one of three songs is played. If
its after midnight one of these when one of these songs is played -
watch out, we've left the gate...we're heading to Funkytown! (The slum
where drunk, bad dancing white-man's-overbite-showing EFL teachers are
forced to live in shame, but Funkytown, nonetheless.)

Sex Machine

The eggheads in their lab coats need to study why it is simply
impossible not to go nuts dancing if you hear James Brown sing Sex
Machine. Even the whitest white boy is giong to grab his date or that
night's make out partner and start doing the hokeypoking on the Nori
"dance floor" if that song is requested.

Lust For Life

This song has so many personal meanings to me that it's almost worth a
post unto itself. Lost For Life by Iggy Pop is one of the songs where
elbows start flying and eyes accidentally hit. But there is definitely
an energy to it. It's more of a give the crowd a breath of fresh air
kind of song. Best played at about 2 a.m. when people are starting to
get a little tired of randomly hooking up with people. Not that we
here at Migukin would either condone or know anything about such
shocking (shocking!) behavior. Not that we would have heard a female
friend all but leer as she said, "With this bar, it's all about the
hookups."

Blister in the Sun

This Violent Femme's classic is great for when it's even LATER. It's
for about 4 a.m., when you're asking yourself, "Why am I still here?"
But it's a great song nonetheless. I've listened to the Violent
Femmes' Greatest Hits endlessly since I've come to Korea and I'm
amazed how I have a different perspective on the band since then.
Those guys are very...interesting.

In an ideal world, Nori would be required to play one of these three
songs at some point during the night.